Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Topless doughnut shop takes the cake

May 24, 2009 / VASSALBORO, Maine --Prosecutors will review a complaint that a waitress from a Maine topless doughnut shop was outside the business without a shirt on.

The Central Maine Morning Sentinel says a state trooper was sent to the Grand View Topless Coffee shop on Saturday after someone called in a complaint. Police say no one was charged, but the matter has been turned over to the district attorney for review.

It's unclear whether nudity outside the cafe is prohibited.

Vassalboro had considered banning nudity altogether after the shop opened in February, but officials now are proposing to specifically regulate where, when and how such businesses may operate. The revised ordinance comes up for a vote June 8.

==========================
    February 2009 / Topless Coffee Shop Drew 150 Applicants For 10 Positions

VASSALBORO -- On Tuesday morning, a small sign hung in front of the log cabin-style building, listing the hours: 6 a.m.-6 p.m.

The outside windows were covered with promotional posters for New England Coffee. Up the entrance ramp to the front door, another sign: "Over 18 only" -- and another at the door: "No cameras, no touching, cash only." A man in a white dress shirt kept watch at the front door.

Inside, two men sipped coffee at their booth; the rest of the tables were empty. There are 15 tables, with room enough for 58 people.

On Tuesday, inside were three topless women, one topless man and owner Donald Crabtree in a dress shirt and tie. Blue Oyster Cult's "Don't Fear the Reaper" was playing.

Brothers Dick and Rene Brochu of Augusta, ages 60 and 59, said they decided to stop by the Grand View Topless Coffee Shop after hearing about it from friends. Both men are retired.

"I really hope it works," Dick Brochu said of the business. "It's different. I kind of like it. If you don't like it, I say don't come in, stay away."

Implying that criticism of the coffee shop has been overblown, Rene Brochu said, "The evil is in your head."

To the chagrin of some residents, the shop on Belfast Avenue opened its doors Monday. More than 50 opponents turned out for Planning Board hearings in January, but despite complaints, town officials said there was nothing they could do to stop Crabtree from opening the business.

The coffee shop is in a former motel, which has been the site of many businesses in the last several years, and is located on a sparse stretch of Route 3 just over the Augusta line. It was most recently Mac Daddy's Pub at the Fat Cat Grille, which closed several years ago.

Eight customers -- all men -- stopped by the coffee shop between 10 and 11:15 a.m. Tuesday. Staff members estimated they had between 50 and 60 customers on Monday, despite a snowstorm; of those customers, about eight were women, they said.

Aside from the Brochu brothers, the other customers in the shop Tuesday morning declined to give their names or comment.

Topless waitress Susie Wiley, 23, of Farmingdale, said she went for the job because it's "something different" and said she's worked in coffee shops since she was a teenager.

Asked whether the shop is degrading to women, Wiley said, "No, I love it. I find it very empowering, not degrading."

For now, the menu at the shop is slim: Just cups of New England Coffee ($3 each) and donuts made from Chase Farm Bakery in Whitefield ($2 each). Crabtree said he may offer more food if business picks up.

Elvis Thompson, 32, of Brunswick, was the lone male waiter at the coffee shop Tuesday morning, though he said there are two other male waiters.

Thompson, topless and wearing black boots and black shorts, said he was laid off from another job two weeks ago and then saw an advertisement for the coffee shop.

During the first day, Monday, Thompson said he waited on two ladies, one of whom told him she had been opposed to the business but now she thinks it's great.

Topless waitress Kris Kelley, 43, of Windham, said her previous restaurant experience was managing a pizzeria in Hawaii.

Kelley said criticism of the shop is "ridiculous."

"It's just a body part," she said. "There are more serious issues to worry about in this country than something like this."

Kelley said she gets along with all her co-workers and customers: "We're one big happy family."

Contacted on Tuesday, resident Paula Furbush, who was critical of the coffee shop when it was proposed to the Planning Board, said she had not realized the business had opened.

"I definitely think it's not a good idea. I've lived in town my whole life and we've never had anything like this," Furbush said.

Lisa Breton, a resident for 23 years, said she was surprised the coffee shop opened up.

"I don't believe it's going to pan out, not in a small community like this," Breton said. "People move to these small towns because they don't want to deal with bars and adult video stores and a topless coffee shop. It's important for towns to have an ordinance written so things like this can't happen."

Crabtree said he does not pay his staff a regular wage; all their earnings come from customer tips, mostly ranging from $5 to $20.

On Tuesday morning, Kelley brought coffee to a male customer, who gulped down about half of the cup during a couple minutes, handed Kelley a $100 bill and left without saying a word.

Topless waitress Ginni Labree, 34, of Palermo, wore fluorescent electric pink nail polish and has a tattoo of a rose on her arm. Labree said she has previous experience as a store manager and used to work in dance clubs.

Although "most people have been respectful," Labree said she did encounter inappropriate behavior on Monday when an intoxicated couple came in. The male attempted to touch her, but she backed away. "I told them, 'Hey, we can't touch.'" Labree said she doesn't mind hugging customers or shaking hands.

Labree said she enjoys chatting with people and she has received many compliments from customers, such as "you're pretty, nice body, nice tattoos and you're very colorful."

"I haven't had anybody leave without a smile yet," she said.

Crabtree said he interviewed 150 people for the positions and narrowed the field to 10. Crabtree said he selected people who were the friendliest and comfortable being topless.

"We want to keep the girls respectable, not trashy," said Crabtree, who lives in the motel attached to the shop. "The biggest thing is keeping people happy."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

like so many other things...whether a private business can be topless should be left to the market to decide. I see no reason whatsoever for the police, the district attorney or some judge to be involved in this.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:51 PM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Years ago I had an idea to open Topless Barber shops for men with all female barbers,but I knew that complaints would be endless.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

This thread is useless without pics
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

There was a place in Fort Lauderdale some years ago named R Donuts, featuring topless servers. The joint went out of business after a short while. The place's failure wasn't because of local disdain, however. It was because the donuts were often stale and the coffee was like lukewarm dishwater.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    There was a place in Fort Lauderdale some years ago named R Donuts, featuring topless servers. The joint went out of business after a short while. The place's failure wasn't because of local disdain, however. It was because the donuts were often stale and the coffee was like lukewarm dishwater.
    Yep, we had the same kind of deal in Lake Worth sometime in the 80's. I think the place may have been open close to a year.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Half a dozen responses and no comments about the woman in opposition being named "Furbush" ?

You guys are slipping.

Columbus had an all nude car-wash a few years back......only lasted a few months until they buckled under the pressure from the community, and the business wained as the novelty wore off. Sad...really.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

I stopped at a place off 75, right around Tampa, back in the early 90's called the Risque Cafe.

Great breakfast, all topless waitresses, but man did they have the AC just cranking in that place. Felt like I was going to get poked in the eye every time I had my coffee warmed up.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    I stopped at a place off 75, right around Tampa, back in the early 90's called the Risque Cafe.

Great breakfast, all topless waitresses, but man did they have the AC just cranking in that place. Felt like I was going to get poked in the eye every time I had my coffee warmed up.
    Yep. I drive to Georgia once a year and there are hundreds of signs advertising that place. I believe it's a little closer to Gainsville than Tampa. I've never stopped, as I'm always traveling with the family.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Years ago I had an idea to open Topless Barber shops for men with all female barbers,but I knew that complaints would be endless.

Have you lost your mind??? Imagine the places you'd get hairs at! EEEWWW!!!!

Don't know about other states, but here, it's state law that hairdressers or barbers cannot wear open toed shoes. That's a good thing too....EWWW! Little hairs in your feet and toenails............ICK!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Menlow View Post
    Yep. I drive to Georgia once a year and there are hundreds of signs advertising that place. I believe it's a little closer to Gainsville than Tampa. I've never stopped, as I'm always traveling with the family.

You're probably right, I really haven't been down there since. Just remembered it was northern Fla. right off 75. I remember it was like $17 for a couple of eggs, some bacon, toast, and all the coffee you could drink. Best breakfast I've ever had.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    You're probably right, I really haven't been down there since. Just remembered it was northern Fla. right off 75. I remember it was like $17 for a couple of eggs, some bacon, toast, and all the coffee you could drink. Best breakfast I've ever had.
    Bacon and a lap dance. What more does a man need?

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That place is just outside Gainesville, in Micanopy.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    That place is just outside Gainesville, in Micanopy.

Wow, so it's still there ? I kept the business card off the counter in my wallet for years and years, was always a funny story to tell my buddies.

Thought for sure it would have closed by now.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:00 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

as long as they are not selling muffins, the law should stay out of it.