Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29
  1. #1
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Convince me NOT to buy this...

    I was in my buddy's shoppe Saturday and I fell in love... I was all set to buy one of Alain's bodies he has on sale in the this forum until I saw a beautiful beast: An '03 Gibson Les Paul Standard honey burst with the most gorgeous stealth flame you have ever seen!!! No, it looks like a plain top until you put it on the floor in sunlight- then it just explodes!!!! And the neck? They actually did a '59 carve on it!!!!

    How does it play? She is worthy of supplanting Jamie if Jamie had a stop tail piece!!!!

    And it is only $1800!!!

    Again- convince me not to liquidate everything to get this guitar.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

  2. #2
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    I was in my buddy's shoppe Saturday and I fell in love... I was all set to buy one of Alain's bodies he has on sale in the this forum until I saw a beautiful beast: An '03 Gibson Les Paul Standard honey burst with the most gorgeous stealth flame you have ever seen!!! No, it looks like a plain top until you put it on the floor in sunlight- then it just explodes!!!! And the neck? They actually did a '59 carve on it!!!!

    How does it play? She is worthy of supplanting Jamie if Jamie had a stop tail piece!!!!

    And it is only $1800!!!

    Again- convince me not to liquidate everything to get this guitar.
    o.k. i'll have a blast, being as i'm the links resident Les Paul hater!

    reason 1....it's a Les Paul!
    reason 2....it's an outdated, antiquated, poorly built piece of firewood
    reason 3....your custom guitars are far more attractive, which makes you more attractive!
    reason 4....it weights more than the sun, therefore you will suffer a broken back if you play it for more than 9 seconds

    reason 5....it's a Les Paul!


    sorry to all the Les Paul fans/players out there, its just my opinion (and yes i have owned several)
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  3. #3
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    o.k. i'll have a blast, being as i'm the links resident Les Paul hater!

    reason 1....it's a Les Paul!
    reason 2....it's an outdated, antiquated, poorly built piece of firewood
    reason 3....your custom guitars are far more attractive, which makes you more attractive!
    reason 4....it weights more than the sun, therefore you will suffer a broken back if you play it for more than 9 seconds

    reason 5....it's a Les Paul!


    sorry to all the Les Paul fans/players out there, its just my opinion (and yes i have owned several)

    I knew you would chime in on this!!!

    I love Les Pauls, and maybe it's the Ace Frehley/Jimmy Page/Slash fan in me. This one is lighter than Jamie, if you can believe that...

    This one is a good'n (as they say here in the States), unlike anything built after '05. I think Gibsons were built the very best (post Norlin) between '95 and '05. Some very nice ones were built in '93 and '94, as well. Quality did start to fall as early as '04, and I would have to pick through quite a few made after '05 to get one I really like. It seems that Gibson just started cranking out guitars for the sake of cranking them out in recent years.

    Thanks for the comment as far as my custom guitars. They do garner a few comments from when they are on stage; however, as Skirt Bandit is DONE, I am moving to a project of a Power Trio where I play drums and sing. I am not a lead guitarist IN THE LEAST. I may get out Jamie to play "Holla (fo a Dolla)" (as it is a drum machine song) when we start to do originals in the set, but that's about it as far as how much gigging happens with guitars. And the LP would stay home, locked away, except when recording. It is going to be an investment guitar for the most part... My custom guitars are 100% for the gigs as it won't kill the value of worthless guitars if I break a peghead.

    I AM an LP player, and only recently fell in love with the EBMM VH and the Peavey Wolfgang body shapes, as well as their unique sounds. But I am an LP guy at heart...
    Last edited by bunnyman; 06.01.09 at 05:04 AM.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

  4. #4
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.06.09
    Posts
    1,235
    Last Online

    04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    reason 2....it's an outdated, antiquated, poorly built piece of firewood
    if that's the case..then any wolfgang can only be classified as grade !"C" lumber..LOL

  5. #5
    Eruption Brand X's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.06.03
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    763
    Last Online

    06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    o.k. i'll have a blast, being as i'm the links resident Les Paul hater!

    reason 1....it's a Les Paul!
    reason 2....it's an outdated, antiquated, poorly built piece of firewood
    reason 3....your custom guitars are far more attractive, which makes you more attractive!
    reason 4....it weights more than the sun, therefore you will suffer a broken back if you play it for more than 9 seconds

    reason 5....it's a Les Paul!


    sorry to all the Les Paul fans/players out there, its just my opinion (and yes i have owned several)

    Tommy - I knew we'd comment on this one LOL.......everything Tommy says - I concur!
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

  6. #6
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    02.19.07
    Posts
    4,976
    Last Online

    10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    99
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    I'm not sure what a fair price is for a standard of that year. The price seems reasonable. I have a sweet Page LP that went for much more. Investigate the pricing to make sure you're in the ball park. I share your love for LP's and many players that played them. I dig the feel, sustain, weight and tone of them.

    A guitar is a unique thing. One person's dream is another's nightmare. If money isn't a big problem and you find the price sane..BUY IT! If it plays, sounds nice and it feels good to your hands...you dig how it plays, feels, looks..and can afford it...get it. If you love pauls you will not regret it especially if the price is right. Also if your going to spend the money and get a Paul you may also want to still...look around..you might find one even nicer for the money at another shop. Some guitars just feel right though. Thats what happened with my JP LP..I was NOT going to get one..but the one I saw and tried was just perfect to me in every way. Over 10 years later I'm still thrilled to own it.

    IMO there is nothing like a sweet Les Paul. I tend to play strat style guitars more because of the style of music I dabble into but the Paul rules. imo.

    I know you want to be talked out of a LP but I personally don't think you can go wrong with a good one. They hold their value too.

    Last edited by At0micPunk; 06.01.09 at 06:24 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #7
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    03.23.05
    Posts
    1,780
    Last Online

    11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I'm not sure what a fair price is for a standard of that year. The price seems reasonable. I have a sweet Page LP that went for much more. Investigate the pricing to make sure you're in the ball park. I share your love for LP's and many players that played them. I dig the feel, sustain, weight and tone of them.

    A guitar is a unique thing. One person's dream is another's nightmare. If money isn't a big problem and you find the price sane..BUY IT! If it plays, sounds nice and it feels good to your hands...you dig how it plays, feels, looks..and can afford it...get it. If you love pauls you will not regret it especially if the price is right. Also if your going to spend the money and get a Paul you may also want to still...look around..you might find one even nicer for the money at another shop. Some guitars just feel right though. Thats what happened with my JP LP..I was NOT going to get one..but the one I saw and tried was just perfect to me in every way. Over 10 years later I'm still thrilled to own it.

    IMO there is nothing like a sweet Les Paul. I tend to play strat style guitars more because of the style of music I dabble into but the Paul rules. imo.

    I know you want to be talked out of a LP but I personally don't think you can go wrong with a good one. They hold their value too.
    +1

    I love Les Pauls.

  8. #8
    Baluchitherium mistere's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.31.02
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,364
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

    07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    I usta be somewhat in agreement with Anti-Paul club here; that they're
    antiques. However, I was more or less forced to buy one for my old gig
    (ok, could only afford the Epiphone variety), so needles to say, it was
    the bastard-stepchild of my lot. But a strange thing happened. I actually
    started to play it. I was amazed how great it sounded in comparison with
    my other axes. And there's something to be said for its simplicity. No
    whammy, no fine tuners, no bullshit, just as easy as you like. Or don't.
    Break a string? Boom. No problem. 20 seconds later, back in business.

    So I guess what I'm saying is, if you've got $1800 to unload on this, I
    won't be talkin you out of it. And if anyone has a problem with that, do
    not pass "Go", go straight here:
    Last edited by mistere; 06.01.09 at 07:16 AM.

  9. #9
    5150 A&Z Guitar Repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.23.03
    Age
    45
    Location
    North of STL, MO
    Posts
    602
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Cabo Wabo/Poundcake/dropdead
    Last Online

    03.24.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Here are some things to think about...


    1) Value retention.

    The Les Paul will retain it's value longer than a replica model.

    2) Playability.

    How does this guitar play compared to the equipment you'll need to liquidate? Will it need a setup. Does the truss rod work? Intonation accurate? Are the neck joint and fretboard loose? Will it need other work to make it playable? If so, you'll need to figure more operating cost.

    3) Man Hours/replica cost.

    How much time will you need to complete the replica? What's your cost per man hour? What's the material cost to complete the replica? Will you have more than $1800.00 in time/material when replica is finished.

    4) Liquidation Cost.

    Are you getting fair prices for your items that are liquidated? Is it a fire sale or are you selling items that would bring more if you weren't "liquidating".

    5) Layaway Options.

    Is layaway a possibility? Would this allow you time to gather necessary funds to purchase guitar without liquidating?

    6) Cost/Trade.

    Will the dealer come down in price? Will he trade for some of your equipment you're wanting to sell? What are 2003 Les Paul's with similar features selling for? Is the price fair?



    Ask yourself those questions and then make a decision you can live with. In this economy, I wouldn't suggest going into debt for a guitar. I don't know your financial situation, but I prefer to spend cash in tight times vs. using credit.

    Les Pauls are hit and miss in recent years. If you find a good one, they'll last a long time. If not, you'll quickly learn they'll need maintenance and the allure will start to fade.
    Scott Eivins
    A&Z Guitar Repair

  10. #10
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    09.11.06
    Age
    41
    Location
    Leicestershire, England
    Posts
    4,484
    Favorite VH Album

    VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    They're all great!
    Last Online

    04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    if that's the case..then any wolfgang can only be classified as grade !"C" lumber..LOL
    lol, in a funny way i can see your point.
    although a wolfgang is lighter, has a nicer neck profile and has no laquer, if you break/damage the neck its relativly easy to replace yourself and you wont require the services of luthier, they stay in tune better, they were designed within the last 50yrs using modern techniques, they are not over priced and they don't give you a hernia every time you try and play rock n roll on one!

    but like i said, it's just my opinion and personal taste comes into play.....and doug did ask for someone to talk him out of buying it...lol
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

    And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's


    "The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

    "I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

    "Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

  11. #11
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A&Z Guitar Repair View Post
    Here are some things to think about...


    1) Value retention.

    The Les Paul will retain it's value longer than a replica model.

    2) Playability.

    How does this guitar play compared to the equipment you'll need to liquidate? Will it need a setup. Does the truss rod work? Intonation accurate? Are the neck joint and fretboard loose? Will it need other work to make it playable? If so, you'll need to figure more operating cost.

    3) Man Hours/replica cost.

    How much time will you need to complete the replica? What's your cost per man hour? What's the material cost to complete the replica? Will you have more than $1800.00 in time/material when replica is finished.

    4) Liquidation Cost.

    Are you getting fair prices for your items that are liquidated? Is it a fire sale or are you selling items that would bring more if you weren't "liquidating".

    5) Layaway Options.

    Is layaway a possibility? Would this allow you time to gather necessary funds to purchase guitar without liquidating?

    6) Cost/Trade.

    Will the dealer come down in price? Will he trade for some of your equipment you're wanting to sell? What are 2003 Les Paul's with similar features selling for? Is the price fair?



    Ask yourself those questions and then make a decision you can live with. In this economy, I wouldn't suggest going into debt for a guitar. I don't know your financial situation, but I prefer to spend cash in tight times vs. using credit.

    Les Pauls are hit and miss in recent years. If you find a good one, they'll last a long time. If not, you'll quickly learn they'll need maintenance and the allure will start to fade.

    I trust this cat's judgment on this one (20+ years of being an honest vintage guitar dealer- kind of a rare thing IMO), as he has never steered me wrong on a guitar deal. He has never sold me junk 'cos he wn't buy junk.

    I won't go into debt for a guitar, and the stuff I am liquidating is merely stuff that I simply don't use or never did use much. Some of the silly guitars I had built ended up being better ideas in thery than in practise; others were good executions. The latter will end up staying in the stable as stage guitars; the LP would be at home locked away unless I was recording. I do have a "beater" Les Paul to play on stage (even though on stage with guitar is going to be less and less in the foreseeable future).

    I tend to liquidate frequently, as I end up with waaaaaay too much stuff. I "rent" items a lot (particularly to try and get one particular sound or tone for a recording), and sometimes I can even make a tidy profit from it. For example- I tried several different synth modules for my dance/torture album, found one I liked, sold the rest (some for profit, some for loss; ended up in pretty much a wash). I won't sell my plasma or prized possessions for a guitar.

    I am going to wait it out, and if I find I forget about that guitar in a few days, I know I will be fine without it.

    Thanks for the pointers.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

  12. #12
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mistere View Post
    I usta be somewhat in agreement with Anti-Paul club here; that they're
    antiques. However, I was more or less forced to buy one for my old gig
    (ok, could only afford the Epiphone variety), so needles to say, it was
    the bastard-stepchild of my lot. But a strange thing happened. I actually
    started to play it. I was amazed how great it sounded in comparison with
    my other axes. And there's something to be said for its simplicity. No
    whammy, no fine tuners, no bullshit, just as easy as you like. Or don't.
    Break a string? Boom. No problem. 20 seconds later, back in business.

    So I guess what I'm saying is, if you've got $1800 to unload on this, I
    won't be talkin you out of it. And if anyone has a problem with that, do
    not pass "Go", go straight here:



    Love the sign, and I see your point.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

  13. #13
    5150 bunnyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.04.08
    Age
    45
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    669
    Favorite VH Album

    Most
    Favorite VH Song

    Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

    11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I'm not sure what a fair price is for a standard of that year. The price seems reasonable. I have a sweet Page LP that went for much more. Investigate the pricing to make sure you're in the ball park. I share your love for LP's and many players that played them. I dig the feel, sustain, weight and tone of them.

    A guitar is a unique thing. One person's dream is another's nightmare. If money isn't a big problem and you find the price sane..BUY IT! If it plays, sounds nice and it feels good to your hands...you dig how it plays, feels, looks..and can afford it...get it. If you love pauls you will not regret it especially if the price is right. Also if your going to spend the money and get a Paul you may also want to still...look around..you might find one even nicer for the money at another shop. Some guitars just feel right though. Thats what happened with my JP LP..I was NOT going to get one..but the one I saw and tried was just perfect to me in every way. Over 10 years later I'm still thrilled to own it.

    IMO there is nothing like a sweet Les Paul. I tend to play strat style guitars more because of the style of music I dabble into but the Paul rules. imo.

    I know you want to be talked out of a LP but I personally don't think you can go wrong with a good one. They hold their value too.

    You're hurting me with that schwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeet LP in the pic!!!

    I need some Kleenex, thank you very much!!!
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

  14. #14
    Banned!
    Join Date
    03.06.09
    Posts
    1,235
    Last Online

    04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I say go for it...A Player without a LP in his kit is like carpenter without a Hammer..

  15. #15
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    02.19.07
    Posts
    4,976
    Last Online

    10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    99
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

    Default


    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •