Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default So in California, a $50 Ticket is Actually $240.

Here's a great story from the local paper:

http://www.montereyherald.com/ci_124...nclick_check=1

Supersizing that ticket A $50 ticket for allowing your dog to go unleashed on a beach where leashes are required will wind up costing you $245 in Monterey County courts. Here's a breakdown on where your $245 will go:
    $50: The citing agency (city, county or state)
    $50: State penalty assessment, which is split among the county and several state funds: the Fish and Game Preservation Fund, Restitution Fund, Peace Officers Training Fund, Corrections Training Fund, Local Prosecutors and Public Defenders Fund, Victim Witness Assistance Fund, Traumatic Brain Injury Fund and Driver Training Fund.
    $25: State court construction.
    $5: County DNA identification fund.
    $5: State DNA identification fund.
    $12.50: County criminal justice facilities construction.
    $10: County courthouse construction.
    $20: County emergency medical services.
    $2.50: County automated fingerprint retrieval system.
    $10: State general fund.
    $20: Courthouse security.
    $20: "Conviction assessment" to support court operations.
    2 percent of total, in this case $3.60, goes to a state fund to help automate court systems.

Source: Monterey County Superior Court; California Research Bureau

See, it is precisely this kind of sneaky bullshit that lead voters to kill tax-hikes in the last election. As painful as it will become for me and my fellow Californians, I can't wait to see the government of this state completely collapse.

Honesty is the best policy. If you can't afford to pay for something then you can not have it. sticking extra charges onto a citiation is dishonest, and since most of the charges go to law enforcemt and the courts it is also a conflict of interest.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

What about if the ER service at the local hospital also collapses, Ax? I'm not looking forward to seeing that. There ARE some services that are vital and I do hope they wont collapse. For example they're talking about cutting firefighters - not cool. I hope they would increase taxes if it would keep those vital services going (and believe me I dont "want" to pay more taxes). Same think, city of LA is planning to reduce the number of cops - not a good thing.
    Little Dreamer

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:26 PM
    Liked 3,118 Times in 1,829 Posts

Premium Member

The problem is, our taxes are high enough. The state just continues to spend beyond what they tax. Of COURSE we need some vital services, and I do believe in a limited safety net for those that fall on hard times, but there are all KINDS of things that the state makes money on besides taxes, and citations and tickets are great examples.

I'm not necessarily a conspiracy theorist, but I am pretty convinced that most states don't really care about DUI or traffic violation prevention. The more they give out, the more revenue.

The people of CA, of which I am one, are mostly to blame. We don't give a shit about legislators and state senators, only the governor. The state IS governed by the people, it's just that most people are either not very well educated, don't care, or just want what is good for them--exactly like those we elect.

Nationally, freaking HITLER could've run as my Representative against Jerry Lewis and I would've voted for him. He is one of the most corrupt politicians, and he has been in Congress since 1978! I was born in 1979. Even if he wasn't corrupt, it's time for someone else. I am neither Dem nor Rep. I am as independent as you can get. Did you know Congress gets reelected at a rate of 98% nationally? Those are numbers you see in dictatorships that are supposedly democratic. The apathy when it comes to voting for things that matter is truly disheartening.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    What about if the ER service at the local hospital also collapses, Ax? I'm not looking forward to seeing that. There ARE some services that are vital and I do hope they wont collapse. For example they're talking about cutting firefighters - not cool. I hope they would increase taxes if it would keep those vital services going (and believe me I dont "want" to pay more taxes). Same think, city of LA is planning to reduce the number of cops - not a good thing.
    This is 35 years in the making.

They had their first wake up call when Prop.13 passed in 1978. The state could have taken a hard look at itself and changed the way that it operated.

Nope.

The current hole we are in was dug in 1999 and 2000, when Gray Davis instituted the largest spending increase in years. This in the shadow of the Tech Market collapse.

Sacramento took advantage of every economic scam to raise taxes. S&Ls cooking the books and over-assessing the value of the properties in their portfolios? Cool, we'll use those books to raise the property tax base! The Dot Com market collapse? Hey, it will come back! The adjustable- rate mortgage scam? House-Flippers? Hey, it's raising the sale price of houses! Good for us!

So now the music has stopped and there ain't a single chair in site.

Some of this is the voter's fault to be sure. The rest lies in Sacramento and in the city halls and county council chambers across the state. It is exactly the same as when a drunk or a junkie that it out of control. THEY HAVE TO HIT BOTTOM BEFORE THEY CAN RECOVER. California is about 18 months ahead of the rest of the United States in the collapse. California has a mountain of regulations that have forced businesses elsewhere, and forced others to close.

Those police and firefighters? Yes, it sucks that departments will be closed or merged with others. You know what? there are 49 other states that will benifit from our highly trained public safety personel who figure out that it's smarter to move somewhere that a firefighter can actually afford to live AND raise a family. In Monterey County, our fire, police and Sheriffs all live somewhere else. The average Carmel and Monterey cop drives 70 to work in the morning. Same with our firefighters. So when the big quake comes we are screwed because they may not even be able to get down to the peninsula due to road damage. The irony of all the $million and $2 million dollar homes burning to the ground on the Monterey Peninsula as "Local" firefighters and police watch helplessly from the other side of the bay should be seen as a very real possibility. This is also true for San Francisco, Alameda counties, and it may be true in Southern California.

I said it's going to be painful, but at this point in time Californians have lived in a dream world. They want stuff, but they don't want to pay for it. That or they don't care how it gets paid for until it effects them.

I'm not jumping for joy, it just got 100 times harder to get a degree in the Cal State system. So now I have to look at going to college in another state or even another country. My junior college is cutting all kinds of services and I have friends that will be hurt.

However, if the system is a lie, and nobody fixes it for whatever reason, then what does everyone expect to happen? I mean, I'd move from the state but the rest of the country will be hot on our heels.

So I look at it this way, I always wondered what it would be like to have been standing on the deck of the Titanic. I always wondered what went throught the minds of the passengers when they realized there weren't enough lifeboats. Now I know. They were thinking that maybe White Star could have spent less money on fine silverware and used that money for a few more lifeboats. Some others were thinking that they could have taken a cheaper ocean liner instead of trying to impress their friends as they arrived in New York. Dying first class is still dying. California is about to find this out.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What is scary to me is that it seems the current President and his administration intend to run the entire country the same way. Into the ground. Kill business and increase entitlements. Good luck guys, Californa is such a beautiful place.