Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Totally Bizarre: The Oak Ridge Boys Cover The White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army"

Yeah, I thought this was a joke as well. Yet apparently, somebody really did think this was a good idea. Not quite as bad as Shatner doing a Beatles tune, yet awful nonetheless. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Oak Ridge Boys tackle White Stripes on new album

By JOHN GEROME, AP Entertainment Writer John Gerome, Ap Entertainment Writer
    Thu May 28, 6:22 am ET

NASHVILLE, Tenn. The melody is dark, ominous and unmistakable to any rock fan: "Seven Nation Army" by the White Stripes.

But this isn't Jack and Meg White. It's the Oak Ridge Boys.

The vocal quartet best known for their country and gospel songs get edgy on their new CD, "The Boys Are Back."

Besides the White Stripes, the Oaks cover John Lee Hooker ("Boom, Boom") and Neil Young ("Beautiful Bluebird").

"If there's something I could compare this to it would be what Johnny Cash did in the later part of his career," bass Richard Sterban said recently of Cash's recordings with rock/rap producer Rick Rubin. "I think the approach we used was very similar to that."

The quartet isn't totally going rock. The album has plenty of gospel and country songs, too, including tunes penned by Jamey Johnson and Shooter Jennings.

Jennings, the son of the late Waylon Jennings and a country rocker in his own right, initiated the project. He invited them to sing with him on his 2007 album "The Wolf," introduced them to his producer, David Cobb, and asked them to perform at one of his shows.

"The place was jam packed with kids, much younger than we normally draw at this stage of our career," Sterban recalled. "We did 'Elvira' (their 1981 hit) and the kids knew every word. They were signing 'Oom papa mow mow' along with me.'"

Pretty soon the group was heading into the studio with Cobb, who had them improvising, experimenting with different sounds and covering songs they never would have thought of.

"He challenged us," Sterban said. "At this stage of our career, we figured why not? We have nothing to lose."

The move isn't completely out of step for the Oak Ridge Boys, which also include Duane Allen, Joe Bonsall and William Lee Golden. They began as a gospel group, crossed over to country and pop and recorded with artists as diverse as Ray Charles, Paul Simon, Johnny Cash and Brenda Lee.

Still, with songs like "Seven Nation Army," they're catching fans off guard at their shows.

"A lot of times they'll sit there with their mouths open. They can't believe we're doing this," Sterban said.

And that's a good thing, Sterban said, because it shows the Oaks can still surprise including themselves.

"When I did 'Boom, Boom,' it was probably the most fun I'd ever had recording," Sterban said. "I'm a pretty straight-laced guy. But I was improvising and adding licks and having a bunch of fun."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090528/...oak_ridge_boys
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ooooooookay then....
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think bands' managers pick songs like these to get some interest and the all-important "buzz" going. I really can't see any of the oakridge boys showing up at a band get-together to plan the next record and saying "now looky here boys...I got an idea! You know that White Stripes band I've been telling you about...we should sing Seven Nation Army!!"

That said, if there's anything I'd rather listen to LESS than Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes...it's Seven Nation Army by the Oakridge Boys.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    I think bands' managers pick songs like these to get some interest and the all-important "buzz" going. I really can't see any of the oakridge boys showing up at a band get-together to plan the next record and saying "now looky here boys...I got an idea! You know that White Stripes band I've been telling you about...we should sing Seven Nation Army!!"

That said, if there's anything I'd rather listen to LESS than Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes...it's Seven Nation Army by the Oakridge Boys.

Favorite VH Album

Too hard to choose
    Favorite VH Song

Too hard to choose
    Last Online

06.02.16 @ 09:13 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pal1800 View Post
    I have to say, listening to it did give a good laugh. Sorry boys.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Holy crap! Someone really needed to intervene on their behalf and say "not a good idea".

That being said, however, I'm surprised this kind of cover hadn't happened sooner. Johnny Cash's forays into modern rock covers were, for the most part, damn good and musicians tend to mimic success. But Rick Rubin and the cast of musicians he put behind Cash had a big role in that success. And, of course, Johnny Cash had that "coolness" factor that the Oak Ridge Boys haven't quite achieved.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by looper_guy View Post
    Holy crap! Someone really needed to intervene on their behalf and say "not a good idea".

That being said, however, I'm surprised this kind of cover hadn't happened sooner. Johnny Cash's forays into modern rock covers were, for the most part, damn good and musicians tend to mimic success. But Rick Rubin and the cast of musicians he put behind Cash had a big role in that success. And, of course, Johnny Cash had that "coolness" factor that the Oak Ridge Boys haven't quite achieved.
    happens all the time. The first "big" one was Pat Boone's "metal" album...that was released...jeez...gotta be over ten-15 years ago.

More recently the great Paul Anka put out two records of 70s-90s tunes. His were a little different. No cheese. He's a musical genius and one of the greatest arrangers of all time and did some incredible treatments of some really good material. The one that comes to mind immediately is Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer.

There have been others but those are the two that come to mind right off the bat.

Then you have guys like Richard Cheese who do it as a gag but are basically doing the same thing Boone and the Oakridge Boys are doing, taking metal/rock songs and giving them traditional gospel/big band/jazz arrangements.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Major difference between Oak Ridge Boys, Pat Boone, and Johnny Cash. They are trying to "toughen up" their image to increase their perceived credibility.

JC didn't really have that issue..

Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    Major difference between Oak Ridge Boys, Pat Boone, and Johnny Cash. They are trying to "toughen up" their image to increase their perceived credibility.

JC didn't really have that issue..

well I don't know to what extent Boone was trying to "toughen up" his image, lord knows he didn't succeed.

The one big difference is that Cash was approacing music that rubin specifically selected in a very serious and somber manner.

The others are served with a big helping of cheese.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

any from 1976 - 1993
    Favorite VH Song

Can't Get This Stuff No More
    Last Online

07.28.17 @ 09:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Banned
    Last edited by Down In Flames; 10.29.09 at 01:57 AM. Reason: The person quoted was banned and, due to the circumstances, has been erased. - DIF

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i don't know guys...it's like a genetic mishmash of that gay guy elected prom queen, branson missouri and willy wonka's umpa loompas.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.