Register
    Favorite VH Album

The 1 that had that 1 song
    Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:42 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Default Another reason why my brother is my hero.

My brother gave the keynote address at our local Memorial Day ceremony on the Rock Island Arsenal. I was stuck in Torrington, WY. But my sister-in-law taped it, posted it on her Facebook page. I'm not sure if you'll be able to view it, but here's the entire speech.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....4371934&ref=mf

If that doesn't work, here's a link to one of our local news station's snippet.

http://http://www.facebook.com/ext/s...u=61ffE&ref=mf

And the newspaper article:

http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/article_cf42153e

Enjoy. I did.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

http://www.facebook.com/RedRockinMonkeyBoy

CHILDREN OF "THE FOOT" UNITE

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

Pete, I can get any of those links to work!
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.05.14 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Me either

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Well, shit. Let me do some digging around and see if I can scare them up.

EDIT:

Ok, here's the article. I'm highlighting his part of it. But please, read the whole thing. Great article. Also posting a link:

http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/ar...cc4c03286.html

Tears slid down Jerry Thurman’s cheeks, as he waited for Memorial Day services to begin Monday at Rock Island National Cemetery.

The U.S. Marine veteran who served in 1966-67 in Vietnam said he comes to this event to remember all the veterans buried on Arsenal Island and beyond and as commander of the Illowa Detachment Marine Corps League.

“I get emotional about it,” he said. “A lot of guys didn’t come back. I was lucky. I got to come home.”

Clouds moved in and cool winds swept through, but the rain held off for the large crowd that filled seats and overflowed onto the grass near the tombstones during the annual event at the national cemetery.

Several people who spoke during the hour-long ceremony said all veterans — living and dead — are the country’s true heroes.

“They gave up all of their tomorrows, so we could have ours,” said Marty Fury, national cemetery director.

Marine Corps Warrant Officer 2 Scott Miles, from near Alpha, Ill., who served three tours of duty in Iraq, was the keynote speaker.

His wife and children stayed behind while he volunteered to serve and “brought back all the Marines I brought with me,” he said. He praised the men and women he has “been fortunate enough to work with,” saying their hearts and character amaze him.

Yet, among all the patriotic speeches about Memorial Day honoring veterans, Miles said the holiday also means a day off from work and maybe a barbeque with family and friends. None of that would be possible without those who fight to keep freedom alive, he said.

“It’s a reminder,” he said. “That’s the epitome of our freedom, of why we do what we do.”

Nowadays, it seems like so many people feel entitled to freedom, that it’s “a given,” Miles said. They think it’s automatic or owed to them, he added.

The Marine challenged those people to walk through the neat rows of headstones in the national cemetery.

“Read the names, read the dates and then come back up to me and tell me just what’s owed to you,” he said, spurring a standing ovation. “These veterans, they don’t ask for thanks. They ask for remembrance.”

U.S. Rep. Phil Hare, D-Ill., said for many families of fallen military members, Memorial Day is more than a national holiday — it’s personal.

He said he thinks of those military and their families as he works on veterans-related issues in Congress. Some of his top concerns include helping veterans find and sustain employment, improve their access to medical and mental health care and lessen the problem of homelessness among vets.

“No one who served our country should ever be forced to live on the streets,” Hare said.

Holding a bouquet of fresh flowers, Amy Lundeen of DeKalb, Ill., sat in a wheelchair near the back of the crowd with her friend, Jennifer Carrigan of Joliet, Ill. The pair had traveled several hours to attend the Memorial Day service for the first time, making a spur-of-the-moment decision to attend.

This was the first time Lundeen had visited the cemetery since the day her father, Korean War veteran Richard Lundeen, was buried there in May 1987. She was 21 at the time.

She later planned to find her father’s grave.

Jody Vance-Andrews, of Bettendorf, also carried large bouquet of red-and-white roses, which she planned to place at her parents’ graves. Her father, Lloyd Marker, was a World War II veteran of the Navy, who died in 1979. Her mother, Betty Marker, died five years ago.

“This is very beautiful,” she said, pointing to the speakers and crowd, “that everyone comes together like this.”

Near the end of the ceremony, two buglers played taps, with their somber notes echoing each other.

Then, members of the Davenport American Legion Post 26, Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 299 and the 123rd Field Artillery Battery startled some people as they shot rifles and cannons into the air in an honor salute.

The booming explosions from cannons especially left their mark, leaving behind a haze of smoke that lingered like dense fog above the crowd for quite a while.

Here's the link to a video that has a snippet of his speech. I'll ask my sister-in-law to forward the entire speech to me so I can post it.

http://www.qctimes.com/news/local/ar...tml?mode=video

Hope these work better.
    Last edited by RRMB; 05.29.09 at 12:19 AM.
    "Jesus, that fucker just crawled out of his hen house that was destroyed by the Alabama tornados. Fucking 280mph plus winds sucked the gleam off this bitch and passed it on to a bird in Rhoad Island." - Hurricane Halen 5/3/11 (about my birthday chicken from seenbad)

"Pete is this big, loud muthafucker with a big ass heart, y'all!!!!---------" - Hurricane Halen 9/27/13

"Princess Freckle-Tits hasn't had a good day." LLFHS 7/8/10 (on Lindsay Lohans' legal drama)

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Runaround, MWM, MAM
    Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

I emailed this link to myself, see if it works. I tried it and it went right to it.

http://www.wqad.com/video/?clipId=37...clipFormat=flv

It's one of our TV station's coverage.

Favorite VH Album

Have a soft spot for F*U*C*K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

08.25.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Donor

He made a moving and wonderful speech Pete. I can see why you're very proud of him.
    ****Texas - Home Of My Heart****

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]