Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Straight goods on Musikraft

Ok. First off, this is not a meant to be a bash or shill thread.
    I simply want to know the ratio of satisfied customers of Musikraft necks. The reason I post this is I've been reading of alot of reviews regarding problems with backbow developing after install and seems to be unresponsive to even extremely heavy guage strings with max relief in the truss rod. My main concern is that these necks, I believe have a 90 day warranty with no alterations to the neck (finish?). the complaint seems to be that these issues are presenting themselves around the 90 day mark and beyond, thus being stuck with an unusable neck. Not good!
    Again....this is not to be a dissing the company thread. I would just like to know if this is a problem that has been rectified. Could the issue have only existed on VH style necks where little or no finish was requested, or does the problem still exist despite sealing or finish? It could simply be a handling issue during shipping for all I know. I love the look of the necks, and as another manufacturer that I have suported wholeheartedly,given alot of money to over the past two decades, and have reccomended for years have taken a "If ya don't like the way we make it....then find someone else attitude" and even going as far as ignoring paid for and agreed to specs, it seems choices are deminishing for a decent priced hockey stick neck.
    Not knocking anyone here either BTW. If any of you make an accurate Kramer 5150 style neck, and can make it within a decent timeframe with a production models playability, by all means PM me. I'm interested. I was just taken by MK's price, and at least advertised quality.
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 05.25.09 at 02:08 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Default in a word

Warmoth !

The folks @ Warmoth are pro's. I was treated like a client should be treated and the neck is the best... great price too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    Warmoth !

The folks @ Warmoth are pro's. I was treated like a client should be treated and the neck is the best... great price too.
    I tried Warmoth. I've gotten great stuff from them over the years, and they've been very accomodating. Two months ago, I emailed them and they won't do one thing I asked as far as their KWS neck. They would at one time. Not no more! I asked why they don't offer the features they used to....No response. Ask again in case, it got lost in the shuffle, I get a email back basically sounding like the old joke about "the fly in the soup. Don't talk so loud.....everyone will want one!" In my opinion, they've become very turn & burn from reports others have put out there. They offer a base product, that fits the masses, but very little "custom" stuff is offered now unless you go the turn key route. Fret wire choices are slim. Forget about asking about heel variations or contour. Asking for a particular radius choice out of preference, from their selection, I like a flatter fingerboard for my setup which for me is tried and true, and then being argued with over my selection. Maybe I just had the wrong guy on the wrong day, but my view changed alot. I used to love those guys, and all I got in the end was a lousy 2 word email response. "We Won't" Great! oh well. I still have a great Warmoth Tele neck. It's too bad. I've thrown a fair bit of business their way.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 05.25.09 at 03:47 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warmoth?..zero satisfaction customer service wise. Musikfraft..i've bought 8 necks from them..and my friend who builds telecaster most have bought..or..a good 50 if not more in 2 years..and we only sware by them. Scott, will do ANYTHING possible for his customer.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not a big fan of Warmoth.

Some of their older strat style necks were nice, but as the company grew, I saw their prices increase as their concern for customer service decreased. I also don't care much for some of their designs such as their new side heel truss rod adjustment or thier huge kidney bean shaped control cavitys.
    That's just my own personal preference though.

As for their "KWS" necks ...
    I personally would never consider using a Warmoth "KWS" neck for a 5150 replica ... it's not even close. IMO it resembles the necks found on those $199 "Starpower" Kramer replicas. Or maybe the Starpower necks resemble the "KWS" necks.
    Either way ... I don't like em.

As for Musikraft ... I've personally never had any problems and their 5150 necks are probably the most accurate your going to find. Jim provides great customer service and now that Scott Smith (Customwoods) works for them, I'd imagine their quality and customer service will only be that much stronger.

JMO
    Last edited by Dino5150; 05.25.09 at 06:56 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warmoth is only good if you're not building any sort of Van Halen replica, have no real exectations a far as custom and only buy their stuff that is on sale. Otherwise, Warmoth is over-priced with few options. I got a great neck for $120 for Cotton Candy, but it was such a white elephant (birdseye/rosewood, '59 LP back contour, LP peghead, Floyd shelf) that it would have never went for the "full price". It did have a luthier's joint at the peghead. Nice neck, but I wouldn't have paid all that much more for it.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Warmoth KWS is a 1985 Kramer sorta neck..NOT the 5150 or 1984 neck

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Warmoth KWS is a 1985 Kramer sorta neck..NOT the 5150 or 1984 neck
    Warmoth's "KWS" doesn't resemble ANY Kramer neck I've ever seen.
    Not even "sorta".

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Warmoth's "KWS" doesn't resemble ANY Kramer neck I've ever seen.
    Not even "sorta".
    i was Quoting them mostly..i think where someone said it's the hockey stick neck..they took this to litteraly..LOL

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    i was Quoting them mostly..i think where someone said it's the hockey stick neck..they took this to litteraly..LOL
    Looks more like a golf club.

(just kidding)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Some of their older strat style necks were nice, but as the company grew, I saw their prices increase as their concern for customer service decreased. I also don't care much for some of their designs such as their new side heel truss rod adjustment or thier huge kidney bean shaped control cavitys.

I personally would never consider using a Warmoth "KWS" neck for a 5150 replica ... it's not even close. IMO it resembles the necks found on those $199 "Starpower" Kramer replicas. Or maybe the Starpower necks resemble the "KWS" necks.

As for Musikraft ... I've personally never had any problems and their 5150 necks are probably the most accurate your going to find. Jim provides great customer service and now that Scott Smith (Customwoods) works for them, I'd imagine their quality and customer service will only be that much stronger.

JMO
    The KWS neck doesn't have a pleasing look in stock form. The last one I had from them, I totally reshaped and contoured the headstock. I used my old Focus neck's headstock to make a template and make the modifications. Obviously it doesn't even have the skunk stripe, but Iv'e always been a fan of the hockey stick style neck. I just want to build a 5150 replica now for myself (which is'nt what the KWS was for. It's for an Explorer style guitar body I have.) and as I dug a little deeper, I came across all these complaints in review boards on the Musikraft necks issue with backbow. Like I said, I like the look of their necks, and would love to give them the nod. i just want to make somewhat sure I don't get hosed like some others have.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

JMO
    I'm with ya Dino. The only reason I got KWS necks in the past was for the ability to shape the headstock a little oversized from my Kramer necks. I could of course start from a paddle blanked neck, but hey. it's got the tuner holes drilled, and I can take such small amounts of material off to make it right for an explorer/destroyer style, and they've worked great in the past. The only thing that was pissing me off, is they've changed the back contour over the years, and they were completely unresponsive to building me one with the more C style as opposed to the baseballbat big D contour. This wasn't a Warmoth thread either though, and i would'nt consider a Warmoth neck for a replica. I had a company that did great work, and made the closest necks to a Kramer I've played. but they've really gone south since he ran into some personal problems.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 05.26.09 at 06:04 AM.

On Fire
    Last Online

01.16.13 @ 12:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I may post a suggestion as for getting a 5150 neck... This is what I've done with a paddle head from AllParts.

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On Fire
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts