Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Ronnie Monrose Suing Gary Moore To Get Back ‘59 Les Paul

Thanks to my friend Chris for passing this odd story along.

WTF! Ronnie Monrose Suing Gary Moore To Get Back ‘59 Les Paul

What if you owned a 1959 ‘burst Gibson Les Paul, one of the most valuable and sweet-sounding guitars ever, and found out that decades ago it had been stolen from a famous player – and now that famous player wanted it back? What would you do, presuming you had bought it in what you thought was a legit way?

It’s not a rhetorical question because Ronnie Montrose this week filed suit against Gary Moore for the return of just such a Les Paul – no s**t!

According to the court filing, which you can see in full as a PDF here, Ronnie’s ‘59 ‘burst (purchased in 1972 from J. Geils) was stolen off the stage during an Edgar Winter Group concert later in 1972 in Dudley, Mass. “The moment he noticed the guitar missing, Mr. Montrose stopped the concert in mid-show, turned on the house lights and searched for the guitar to no avail,” the filing states.

Hell yes he stopped the show!

Since then, 37 years ago, Ronnie has been looking for his guitar. He’s given “numerous interviews” about it, and at one point even hired a private investigator to follow up on a lead, according to the filing.

But the big lead he was looking for came from the Gibson.com website (forum maybe?) where the serial number 9-2227 was mentioned as one of Gary’s ‘59 ‘bursts. Bingo. That was the Les Paul Ronnie was looking for.

In case you think Ronnie just sued without trying the easier way – if there can be an easier way in a case like this – the filing states that after some attempts to reach Gary (starting around November 2007), “in March 2009 Mr. Montrose wrote to Mr. Moore and told this story. There has been no reply to that letter. When left with no other alternative, Mr. Montrose filed this action seeking immediate relief from this court.”

What is Ronnie seeking? The return of the Les Paul, of course. It would’ve been nice to leave it there, but the filing also states, “As the result of Mr. Moore’s actions, Mr. Montrose has been damaged in an amount to be proven at trial.” Sounds like some cash might be sought.

He also wants Gary to stop “using” the guitar. Hmm.

And there you have it – for now. Not real sure how the U.S.-England law thing works: Can you “extradite” a guitar? And I assume Ronnie will have to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he actually owned that guitar. I’m assuming no sales receipt was involved, so it might be tough. Who knows.

Notable

> Here’s the story of how the guitar disappeared, from an older Vintage Guitar magazine article. Note that at the time he called the guitar a ‘58:

VG: I recall seeing the band on the old In Concert series, and there was a song where you and Hartman switched instruments in the middle of a song. I think it was called “Let’s Get It On.”

Ronnie: That was the song – you’ve got a good memory! I’d go play bass while Hartman would play with his teeth; that kind of schtick. (laughs) But there’s a sad story about that part of the performance. We were playing in Dudley, Massachusetts one night; I was using a ‘58 Les Paul Sunburst that I’d gotten from J. Geils. When the time to “switch” came, I put it on a stand like I’d always do; I went over and played bass while Dan played a white Strat. When I came back over to get my Les Paul, it was gone; there was just a strap there. That was in the days of no security, and I never did get that guitar back.

> Pics of the ‘59 Les Pauls are from a Japanese website: gary-moore.net. Not sure whether one of those guitars is the one in question or not.

http://www.woodytone.com/2009/05/20/...k-59-les-paul/
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05.22.09 at 03:33 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Just take the Solomon route and cut the guitar in half..problem solved
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Case solved: According to the interview Ronnie gave Vintage Guitar Magazine, the guitar was a '58 Les Paul, not a '59.

"We were playing in Dudley, Massachusetts one night; I was using a ‘58 Les Paul Sunburst that I’d gotten from J. Geils."

Seriously though ... the burden of proof will lie on Ronnie Montrose.
    I'm pretty sure that guitar has been through alot of hands in the past 37 years.
    And I'm sure Gary Moore paid a pretty penny for it too.

Should be interesting.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

I like Ronnie Montrose. But Gary Moore is a superior aexman. Check out "The Loner," "End of The World" or the solo in "Out In The Field."
    Little Dreamer

Last Online

Well, that settles it then.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    Well, that settles it then.
    Chef -- I had to comment on your new Olds profile picture. It is infinitely cool!

I drive a 1991 Olds 98 Regency Elite myself hehehe...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by mrjstudios View Post
    Chef -- I had to comment on your new Olds profile picture. It is infinitely cool!

I drive a 1991 Olds 98 Regency Elite myself hehehe...
    Thanks! The finished art was completed by sixstring. I tripped all over myself trying to get things lined up using Windoze Paint, which in and of itself is an exorcise in abject futility. I could squash and reduce the Olds symbol to replicate the CS logo, yet could not prevent the wording from distorting. He came through with the final version, and even came up with the reversed "S".
    Last edited by chefcraig; 05.22.09 at 06:08 PM.
    George Bernard Shaw

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I like Ronnie Montrose. But Gary Moore is a superior aexman. Check out "The Loner," "End of The World" or the solo in "Out In The Field."
    I agree with this post.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

if montrose can proove 100% that the guitar was originally his, then he is entitled to have it returned, but he has to prove it 100%.
    if gary moore got his hands on the guitar through legit channels then he won't have to pay ronnie a penny in damages, afteral he isnt responsible for the theft and had no way of knowing that it could possibly belong to someone else.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary Moore collects 59 Lps, he as people looking for them all over. he even came to a small town about 15 milles from here to get one, oh...15 years or so. there was a TV crew and all...i mean comeone..hehe. he guy working for him had offered 10 000$ for the perfectly mint burst LP. ower was kinda old, around 60 or so, so was'nt aware of any value a guitar could have. so he naturally accepted. but would only give the Axe in person at his home, for cash..LOL.

When Moore showed, with his attorney for docments, they were JUST about to make the trade, when the old man's nefew show up, just in time to save the day..a 59 LP like his in the day was selling for a minimum of 150 000$ US. the Kid and made the round trip to Montreal at large musicstore who deal in vintage stuff. So thanks to the kid, the old man did'nt get screwed, he actually kept the guitar.

Moore's attorney tried to conned the man saying they had some "unwritten contract" but that did'nt run..hehehe.

Last i heard the man still as it, but it's been kept in a safe at the bank. ..

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Friend of mine was assistant engineer on a Moore LP produced by Chris Tsangarides. Said the cat was way cool, even gave him a guitar at the end of the sessions! They would routinely go out for drinks with the studio staff and Moore would always pick up the roughly $1000 bar tab!!!
    Little Dreamer

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Gary Moore collects 59 Lps, he as people looking for them all over. he even came to a small town about 15 milles from here to get one, oh...15 years or so. there was a TV crew and all...i mean comeone..hehe. he guy working for him had offered 10 000$ for the perfectly mint burst LP. ower was kinda old, around 60 or so, so was'nt aware of any value a guitar could have. so he naturally accepted. but would only give the Axe in person at his home, for cash..LOL.

When Moore showed, with his attorney for docments, they were JUST about to make the trade, when the old man's nefew show up, just in time to save the day..a 59 LP like his in the day was selling for a minimum of 150 000$ US. the Kid and made the round trip to Montreal at large musicstore who deal in vintage stuff. So thanks to the kid, the old man did'nt get screwed, he actually kept the guitar.

Moore's attorney tried to conned the man saying they had some "unwritten contract" but that did'nt run..hehehe.

Last i heard the man still as it, but it's been kept in a safe at the bank. ..
    in all fairness, wouldn't you do the same thing?
    it's like when i see someone trying to pass a peavey wolfgang exp for a usa and some dumb fool buying it for $1500, who do you blame?...the seller or the idiot who bought it for not researching what he was purchasing?
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    in all fairness, wouldn't you do the same thing?
    it's like when i see someone trying to pass a peavey wolfgang exp for a usa and some dumb fool buying it for $1500, who do you blame?...the seller or the idiot who bought it for not researching what he was purchasing?
    actually no..i would'nt be able to screw someone for 140 000$. it's not in me.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

note to Ronnie

Ronnie - I can appreciate your loss of your beloved guitar in 72, but if you can't even get the year of the axe correct in interviews, than I think your SOL. Just my 2 cents. It truly sucks that someone stole your axe and I mean that from the heart, but 37 yr later, I would think Eminent Domain would come into play.... Gary Moore did NO wrong and maybe owes you a phone call @ most. I do believe the guitar is truly Gary's at this point.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cav View Post
    Ronnie - I can appreciate your loss of your beloved guitar in 72, but if you can't even get the year of the axe correct in interviews, than I think your SOL. Just my 2 cents. It truly sucks that someone stole your axe and I mean that from the heart, but 37 yr later, I would think Eminent Domain would come into play.... Gary Moore did NO wrong and maybe owes you a phone call @ most. I do believe the guitar is truly Gary's at this point.
    Actually..if the guy can proove it was his...and then stolen...it's has to be returned. even after 37 years