Register
    Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Default The Official Memorial Day 2009 thread

While we all are celebrating this special holiday with our friends and family, let us take a moment to remember those who made this holiday possible.

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO ALL........

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye. Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity. Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem. You can't tell a vet just by looking.

What is a Vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade - riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU."

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn our flag."
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

God bless anyone & everyone that's served to preserve our freedom.

*raises glass*

Cheers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Thanks for starting this before I split. I hope everybody has a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend. We are having our veteran's activities on Monday at the cemeteries and then a community dinner with a slide show of all our vets.

Should be nice. Not to mention hot!
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

05.05.14 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for posting this.

And thank you to all the members of our military. Your service is greatly appreciated.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

And just to add one more to my post above.....
    He is my father....drafted 1 month out of high school, handed a rifle and tossed on a plane to Vietnam, where he won the Distinguished Service Cross and Silver Star in 2 seperate encounters with the enemy. All this while his young bride and infant son (who he had yet to see) waited at home.
    He was wounded 4 times in his last combat action, and ended up returning to the United States with a severe morphine addiction, thanks to the mind-boggling amounts of it used in his recovery. He was welcomed home by hecklers who spit on him and called him "baby killer".
    I still remember being a little kid and waking up in the middle of the night to find him crying over his Vietnam photo album, pointing out pictures of 10 or 20 soldiers, and telling me he was the only one left alive out of those groups.
    He never fully recovered from the morphine addiction, and now has cancer caused by Agent Orange. And yet said he would do it all over again if he was called.
    My parents eventually divorced, due to his addiction. I hated him for a long time for that. I last spoke to him about 10 years ago, and have no idea where he is now.
    And yet, I still have the newspaper clippings detailing his valor, and the medals (which he once wanted to throw away, but I salvaged them) are locked away, awaiting the day when I try to explain to my son what war is.

THAT is the price of our freedom, folks.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    And just to add one more to my post above.....
    He is my father....drafted 1 month out of high school, handed a rifle and tossed on a plane to Vietnam, where he won the Distinguished Service Cross and Silver Star in 2 seperate encounters with the enemy. All this while his young bride and infant son (who he had yet to see) waited at home.
    He was wounded 4 times in his last combat action, and ended up returning to the United States with a severe morphine addiction, thanks to the mind-boggling amounts of it used in his recovery. He was welcomed home by hecklers who spit on him and called him "baby killer".
    I still remember being a little kid and waking up in the middle of the night to find him crying over his Vietnam photo album, pointing out pictures of 10 or 20 soldiers, and telling me he was the only one left alive out of those groups.
    He never fully recovered from the morphine addiction, and now has cancer caused by Agent Orange. And yet said he would do it all over again if he was called.
    My parents eventually divorced, due to his addiction. I hated him for a long time for that. I last spoke to him about 10 years ago, and have no idea where he is now.
    And yet, I still have the newspaper clippings detailing his valor, and the medals (which he once wanted to throw away, but I salvaged them) are locked away, awaiting the day when I try to explain to my son what war is.

THAT is the price of our freedom, folks.
    Damn shame what happened to your dad...should never have happened. bless him. I hope he's ok.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

/salute
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 1,346 Times in 923 Posts

what is there to say but "thanks" to all who have served?

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I was looking for this tune for another thread, when I ran across this moving slide show.

And for those that have made the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

My Uncle Julius was an Sargent in WW2. He did some kinda realy above the call of duty stuff at the Battle of the Bulge. He never talked about it my Grandmother would always say dont ask him about it.. Rip Uncle Julius. I had another Uncle who was in the Marines and he was in the Honor Gaurd at Arlington.
    Last edited by edwardv; 05.22.09 at 05:27 PM.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

One of my oldest and best friend's grandfather was in WWII. I never got the chance to meet him. Back then we were young and I was always told that the man was an asshole and was mean to everyone. At 18 years old who wants to be subject to that? Once I was told his story after his death, I was pissed and told my friend I wish he had taken me to meet him.

A little back story about my family: We are UT/Texas Tech fans...to which both schools' biggest rival is A&M. My sister had a scholarship to A&M that she did not take as my father would have disowned her. (Not really, but it would have been bizarre).

(I may have some of these facts wrong. If so, please correct me as I do not want to mis-represent this event)

For those who are unfamiliar with the tradition of Muster, every year for the graduates of A&M who have died a ceremony is held in their honor which all their names are called. I was invited to attend by my friend. As I understand it, only family are supposed to be on the floor during this ceremony. I was there with my friend and his parents.

Muster originated in the Phillipines when a regimen of US Army soldiers were captured by the Japanese. Alot of these soldiers were Aggies. Many died in battle and the survivors held a roll call of their brothers who died...the first Muster. Actually I believe this was done before the soldiers were captured, but I'm not sure.

This was on the island of Bataam(sp?) My buddy's grandfather was one of these soldiers. He survived the Death March and was forced to work in the mines during his imprisonment. The few facts I was told of his treatment during this time are horrid and I will not repeat them.

He wasn't an asshole...he was a hero that was unable to cope with those who never had to suffer anything close to what he was subject to.

I regret never meeting the man but was honored to stand when the name Tull Ray Louder was called that night.

BTW, when I told my father I was going to a ceremony at A&M he was a little miffed. When I told him WHAT I was doing, he told me to stand proud.

Everyone have a good Memorial Day!
    Remember those who have fallen.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    This was on the island of Bataam(sp?) My buddy's grandfather was one of these soldiers. He survived the Death March and was forced to work in the mines during his imprisonment. The few facts I was told of his treatment during this time are horrid and I will not repeat them.

Good friend of mine growing, his Dad was one of those taken prisoner by the japanese there in the Philippines. Was a POW the entire war. I believe he was from a National Guard unit based out of North Texas. I know many in that Guard unit were in the Bataan Death March. Horrible stories.

Anyway, happy Memorial Day to everyone and thanks to all who have served and those who are serving!
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

Everybody be safe this weekend!

And of course, thank you to all who have served our country in the past.....or currently serving...or will be serving in the future!!

I salute you!!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com