Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 06:26 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Default Michael Anthony Interview At Bravewords.com

Here's the link.
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:59 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Good start to the interview.

Could've done without all the anti-VH stuff in the beginning. That stuff is old news but I see why the author wanted it.

Mike sounds like he is having a blast!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

So I'll just sit back and wait for the Edddie rump swabs to tell Mike to shut the fuck up. Mike's calling Ed an innovator but praising Joe for his great knowledge and understanding to play every spectrum. I guess that means he's saying Ed can't, right?

“Both are great guitar players and Eddie was a great innovator. Playing with Joe, I trip because he has this great knowledge and understanding and can play every spectrum of music.”
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Eddie’s ex Valerie has been more productive with Jenny Craig than the revered axeman has been in sharing his riffs with the world!

Ouch.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post

Could've done without all the anti-VH stuff in the beginning. That stuff is old news but I see why the author wanted it.
    I hear ya. The author sounds like some of us, referencing how great it would have been to have the original CVH back together in 2007/2008, the lack of a VH album over the past decade, and the album artwork fiasco with Mike.
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Exclusive BraveWords.com Interview With CHICKENFOOT/Ex-VAN HALEN Bassist Michael Anthony

BraveWords.com had the rare opportunity to speak with the quiet - yet bombastic on-stage - legend Michael Anthony about a number of topics, mainly the gargantuan new undertaking called CHICKENFOOT, which also features Hagar, guitar whiz JOE SATRIANI and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS drummer Chad Smith.

We begin with a head-scratcher: when was Anthony on a studio recording last? He’s been hanging with Hagar’s WABORITAS and THE OTHER HALF. You’ll recall the brief PLANET US venture that featured Anthony, Hagar, Satriani and JOURNEY men Neal Schon and Deen Castronovo.

“It’s pretty amazing isn’t?” begins Anthony, on the phone from California. “It’s been a while man since I’ve done a whole new album... it’s gotta be Balance. I’ve done little things here and there, a few things with Sam. And I’ve guested on a few other people’s things but anonymously. But yeah, it feels great and we’re doing it the old school way. We all get in the same room and jam together. It’s a beautiful thing.”

Has Chickenfoot breathed a little bit of life into you as a recording artist and live musician?

“And as a human being! It takes you back and you remember why you got into this business and what you were doing it for in the first place. And that was to make music and have fun and do it for the fans. Obviously with all of our careers and everything we’ve been through, we’ve afforded ourselves the luxury of just being able to do that. To have a good time with it and not have to write hit singles, make money and this and that. We just want to do it for our fans and for ourselves.”

With Chickenfoot finally in the groove of an active band, are you kicking yourself you didn’t do it sooner?

“(Laughs) Yeah, but you know what, it wasn’t a forced thing and that’s kind of the beauty. Chad, Sammy and I have jammed so many times down at the club in Cabo San Lucas and that’s actually where the name Chickenfoot first came to be, because that’s what we called ourselves down there. It was about a year and a half ago, Super Bowl Sunday last year, and Sammy was playing in Vegas and wanted to do something different for an encore. He had his band the Wabos playing and he invited Chad and I on stage. He said, ‘Come on out and we’ll jam some stuff.’ Then he decided to call Joe because he wanted to do the Chickenfoot-type thing. He said, ‘Let’s get a proper guitar player. I could do this and sing, but let’s get a guitarist that can totally blow everyone’s minds and I can sing.’ He called Joe and he said ‘Sure,’ so we got together and jammed. And doing it for the first time in front of a live audience - you got that instant gratification, because the place went nuts. Cabo Wabo is a great hang and a great place to get together. And a lot of musicians have been down there to jam. Everyone from KENNY CHESNEY to TED NUGENT. And that’s kind of the cool thing; it’s such a cool place that when musicians do come down there, they want to get up and jam. It’s a cool hang and there’s no pressure.”

To be honest, aside from the Hagar/Anthony connection, Chickenfoot took fans by surprise...especially the name! Satriani was thought to be content with his flourishing solo career and from an outsider, Smith may be viewed a little out of his funk-ed comfort zone? But the pieces fit together flawlessly.

“When you first read about it and hear about it, it’s an unlikely pairing. But Joe has always wanted to put together a band with a singer. And I’m sure he’ll tell ya that he doesn’t have to be thinking full time about taking care of the melodies and other stuff. I think it’s gonna blow a lot of peoples minds. People that don’t look at him as a real rock guitarist, but as an instrumentalist that does jazz, blues and all that kind of stuff which is great, because he plays the full spectrum of stuff. I think he was really looking forward to something like this. When we first got into the studio and started jamming he was having a great time. He was coming up with song ideas left and right. It was pretty cool. And Chad is a Detroit rocker; that’s where his heart really is no matter what he does with the Chilis. He does bring a funk element to some of the stuff we do. And playing with him as the rhythm section inspires me to do different stuff. When people first hear it I think they are surprised at how it all meshes.”

Anything that opened your eyes with Smith? Of course you are all well-seasoned brothers, but the rhythm section must be tight and you need a unique bond especially with the drummer.

“We are the guys that have to hold the fort down when guys like Satch can go off and do his thing,” answers Anthony. “Chad is a phenomenal drummer, he’s a great hard-hitting rock drummer but he does it with finesse which is really cool. And he does have that funk vibe. When you hear him play the stuff, it’s not conventional. There’s not a conventional rock way to approach this like say an Alex Van Halen or another type of rock drummer. Just playing with that guy and he’s smiling and he’s got this grin from ear-to-ear. He just sucks you in. You can’t help but have a good time with him.”

What are the biggest differences between working with Satch instead of Eddie?

“Both are great guitar players and Eddie was a great innovator. Playing with Joe, I trip because he has this great knowledge and understanding and can play every spectrum of music. The only thing I haven’t heard him jam yet is reggae stuff! It’s really cool and again it’s very inspirational and it pushes me to think of things to play to it. Just jamming - I’ve got Joe on one side and Chad on the other. My jaw is on the ground playing with these guys live and in the studio. I’m amazed it’s so much fun.”

And it’s great to see Hagar truly rock again. It kinda makes you forget about his more playful Wabo fare.

“Yeah and what’s really cool is that there is a different flavour to every song. It’s not like everything sounds the same, but in a different key. I think Sammy was looking to do something a little bit different and get back to his rock roots. With the Wabos it’s more of the south-of-the-border lifestyle deal. It’s a party and I have a great time jamming with him. I think the funniest thing for me is seeing Sammy on stage with long pants! For I don’t know how many years, all I’ve seen him in is shorts! We’re wearing long pants and we’re rockin’! We’re not doing the Cabo Wabo thing, we’re rockin’!”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

Has anyone ever asked Mike why Ed wanted to replace him as far back as 1981? I'd like to hear the response to that. As far as I know, no reporter has ever asked that question.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EAS View Post
    Has anyone ever asked Mike why Ed wanted to replace him as far back as 1981? I'd like to hear the response to that. As far as I know, no reporter has ever asked that question.
    I thought the "when was Anthony on a studio recording last?" question was a little ballsy... Baby steps I guess...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    I thought the "when was Anthony on a studio recording last?" question was a little ballsy... Baby steps I guess...
    You're right there. I'm just real curious to hear what Mike would say in response to the "Billy Sheehan replacement" story.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EAS View Post
    Oh I'm sure it's been asked. The real question is why hasn't the real answer been given, then printed?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

09.30.11 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    So I'll just sit back and wait for the Edddie rump swabs to tell Mike to shut the fuck up. Mike's calling Ed an innovator but praising Joe for his great knowledge and understanding to play every spectrum. I guess that means he's saying Ed can't, right?

“Both are great guitar players and Eddie was a great innovator. Playing with Joe, I trip because he has this great knowledge and understanding and can play every spectrum of music.”
    ha, "rump swabs"

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah I'd be curious to hear his response to that question. Interesting interview anyways. It's nice to see Mikey back again.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I'm looking forward to the rest of the interview, mentioned at the bottom: "Stay tuned for Part II as Anthony explains the Chickenfoot live set-list and his current relationship with Van Halen brothers!"
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    I'm looking forward to the rest of the interview, mentioned at the bottom: "Stay tuned for Part II as Anthony explains the Chickenfoot live set-list and his current relationship with Van Halen brothers!"
    That caught my eye too but I am preparing myself for something of a let-down:

A short, polite non-confrontational answer. After all, Mike is the Man of Class.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Interesting how Mike criticizes Sammy's recent "laid back" music style:

"I think Sammy was looking to do something a little bit different and get back to his rock roots. With the Wabos it’s more of the south-of-the-border lifestyle deal. It’s a party and I have a great time jamming with him. I think the funniest thing for me is seeing Sammy on stage with long pants! For I don’t know how many years, all I’ve seen him in is shorts! We’re wearing long pants and we’re rockin’! We’re not doing the Cabo Wabo thing, we’re rockin’!”

he might be friends with Sam, but that doesn't mean he digs everything Sam does musically.
    Little Dreamer