Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

11.26.16 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Default TMR Music CF CD Review

What the hell is Chickenfoot you may ask? This is Heavy Metal’s new super group with Sammy Hagar (Montrose, Van Halen) on vocals, Joe Satriani on guitar, Michael Anthony (Van Halen) on bass and Chad Smith (The Red Hot Chili Peppers) on drums.

Sounds like really good Van Halen but with great drumming and a guitarist that didn’t stop innovating 20 years ago.

Joe Satriani sounds so much better with a full band. I have only heard a sampling but this is the best stuff I have heard in a long time, these guys are rocking.

One track that blows me away is “Down The Drain”. This is a classic funky groove orientated heavy metal tune with a huge back beat. Micheal Antony’s bass lends that VH tone and you suddenly realize how important he is to that VH sound, sorry Wolfgang. Joe Satriani spanks the shit out of the arraignment with some burning lead guitar.

“Soap On A Rope” is another VH sounding tune. Classic Hager vocals and a huge guitar sound from JS. One thing that stands out is these guy are playing with the meters and the timing. Maybe to entertain themselves maybe to entertain us but there is some funky stuff going on. Once again JS fries the fretboard and singes your ears with another killer solo.

Other stand outs on this album are “Oh Yeah” and power ballad “Learning To Fall” which right when you think you are listening to a standard slow jam Chickenfoot mix it up and add some cool textures.

If there is one song that is blowing me away it is “Get It Up” this song is a departure from anything any of these guys have done with their former bands. I am thinking this is what Chickenfoot sounds like.

The bass and the drums are pounding and Micheal Anthony has a lot more room than he ever did with VH. Hagar’s vocals are strong as ever, this guy has never missed a beat anyway. Once again JS hits us with a sonic torrent of notes with one of the coolest solos I have heard in a long time.

Van Halen is back! Surprisingly Eddie and Alex are not in the band anymore. This is hands down better than anything Van Halen has produced in the past 20 years. Fresh imaginative and energetic, this is a must have for fans of any of these musicians or their former bands.

Now if we could only get Axl Rose to leave Guns & Roses….

This is a great fun CD and will be available June 5th. Go to Amazon ad get the preorder. You won’t be sorry.

Thought this was a great read.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Sounds like really good Van Halen but with great drumming and a guitarist that didn’t stop innovating 20 years ago.

OUCH!!!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

"Van Halen is back, surprisingly Eddie and Alex are not in the band anymore"

Wow...

LOL

That's gonna raise a few eyebrows up on howdy doody mountain...
    Little Dreamer

Hang 'Em High
    Favorite VH Album

You name it
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:15 AM
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    "Van Halen is back, surprisingly Eddie and Alex are not in the band anymore"

Wow...

LOL

That's gonna raise a few eyebrows up on howdy doody mountain...
    A difficult statement to make, but I like it. It's nice to see Mike show VH how stupid they are for canning him. He'll never be confused with Stu Hamm or Billy Sheehan but the guy is getting his due, something that wouldn't have been allowed under Ed's selfish regime.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Poundcake
    Last Online

10.24.13 @ 07:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The review is only on the leaked tracks so far... I wanna see a review of the whole CD.

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RcoasterA View Post
    The review is only on the leaked tracks so far... I wanna see a review of the whole CD.
    Here's a review of the whole CD: It kicks ass!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 03:40 PM
    Liked 6,703 Times in 3,722 Posts

"I have only heard a sampling but this is the best stuff I have heard in a long time, these guys are rocking. "

sounds like a real professional review.

Eruption
    Last Online

08.17.12 @ 11:19 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voa38 View Post
    What a fucking disgrace. Alex has always been a great drummer and has only got better over the past 10 - 15 years with sheer hard work. I would love to hear this dickhead reviewers band, songs or playing. Fuck I hate music critics. Again with the comparisons, who cares, Chickenfoot are a great band, end of story. They don't sound like Van Halen at all and should be judged and critiqued without Van Halen being mentioned.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

05.11.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    "I have only heard a sampling but this is the best stuff I have heard in a long time, these guys are rocking. "

sounds like a real professional review.
    Evidently Eddie is receiving all the criticism and what not (called or uncalled, we may never agree). But to say this is a good "VH record but with good drumming" is stupid. So, suddenly now, Chad Smith is drumming way better than AVH!! C´mon! He is good and everything, but AVH is AVH! And, we all know that VH has been lazy with new music... but CF debut album is not better than Balance (according to the review). Me thinks, or I´m in the wrong forum?!?

Sorry for the interruption.
    under darken skies ... we'll see the light

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plexi View Post
    What a fucking disgrace. Alex has always been a great drummer and has only got better over the past 10 - 15 years with sheer hard work.
    Better, where? On two tours playing 10-25 year old tracks and 2 or 3 new songs in 2004?? OK...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

05.11.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Better, where? On two tours playing 10-25 year old tracks and 2 or 3 new songs in 2004?? OK...
    So if VH releases a double album now with 25 songs, AVH, would be better!?! Look, I dont want to get into a childish discussion, but its extremely dissapointing to read people comments based on the anger they have over the Michael Anthony situation, no VH music, etc. Is like everyone is blinded by all those situations (we may never know what really happened), and suddenly a good and encouraging effort by CF is the new VH for some of you! Give CF time, I´m sure they are going to continue a make good music, but please dont diminish VH impact.

I´m in the wrong forum.
    under darken skies ... we'll see the light

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

EVH deserves plenty of criticism. But AVH's drumming has always been solid. Even on 3, on the new tracks - you cannot fault any AVH performance recent or ancient. The only thing AVH is guilty of is accepting his bro's bs.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

I largely agree with the review.

However I've never thought Al was anything but an absolutely amazing fucking dummer. If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect the name "Bonham" appears somewhere on his birth certificate.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 195 Times in 117 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    I largely agree with the review.

However I've never thought Al was anything but an absolutely amazing fucking dummer. If I didn't know any better, I'd suspect the name "Bonham" appears somewhere on his birth certificate.
    I'm with you there, totally agree...
    “And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that’s intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion.” - David Lee Roth

Watch the hair!!!
    Favorite VH Album

VH/Fair Warning/5150/F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

R.Delight/Unchain./5150/C.Wabo
    Last Online

07.22.09 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This review has no more credibility than the negative one that was posted yesterday -- and the drummer comment especially is an uncalled for low blow from the dope critic that wrote it. Regardless, these reviews don't change whether any of us will or will not like the Chickenfoot CD. As one can see, most of us that like some or all of the CF songs we've heard so far actually disagree on the specific songs we like. I don't know what that portends for the success of the CD, but at least it appears that there's something on this CD for everybody inclined to like this band.
    "Seems the old folks who come up short were the pretty little kids who didn't want it, no." - Van Halen (1979)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall." - Confucius

"The possibility that we may fail in the struggle should not deter us from supporting a cause we believe to be just." - Abraham Lincoln