Favorite VH Album

Can't Decide
    Favorite VH Song

Too Many To Choose From
    Last Online

01.05.12 @ 09:39 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Review: 5/17 - The Fillmore, San Francisco

Hey Linkers, I haven’t posted in a really long time, but I wanted to add my review of the 5/17 show at the Fillmore – San Francisco. I didn’t see a thread for reviews only, so Brett/Mods please move if necessary.

The Fillmore is one of my favorite concert venues. As we entered the auditorium we were greeted by the official greeter and grabbed an apple – a Fillmore tradition. We headed upstairs to the balcony area, had a cocktail and listened to the house band. I thought I heard the opening act start so we moved along the balcony section overlooking the floor. As, I’m standing there someone jabs me in the ribs and says, “Please move, comin' thru”. I turned around and it was a security guard ushering in Chad Smith to the green room at the end of the balcony section. Chad had a big grin on his face and looked excited to be here. He talked with the fans briefly before heading to the green room.

On to the show…

SETLIST

Avendia Revolucion This song flat out rocks and featured a nice bass fill by Mike.

Soap on a Rope

Sexy Little Thing

Oh Yeah

Runnin' Out

Get it Up - nice Mike/Sammy duet on each verse.

Down the Drain - Not as heavy sounding as the clip I heard on the web. MA picks the opening bass line with his teeth.

Bitten by the Wolf – This is a blues number. SH mentioned this song would be on vinyl only - bummer. Joe plays an Ibanez double neck. The song is about being literally bitten by a werewolf in New Orleans and living forever. No insinuation in the lyrics I heard that this song has anything to do with WVH as some have suggested.

My Kind Of Girl - SH dedicates this song to the hardest working girls in the world - single moms.

Learning To Fall – SH said Joe wrote this as a love song with Sammy in mind (wtf?) SH mentions that this song almost didn’t make the album because it didn’t fit in with the rest of the up tempo songs.

Turnin' Left - Manic depression fill at the end. Probably, my least favorite song of the night.

Encore - CS comes out first and starts hitting the kick drum while standing drinking a bottle of water. The rest of the band walk out and SH and CS get into a water fight. CS soaks SH, Sam jokes that he's quitting the band. SH starts to explain that he's under a lot of pressure _____; CS starts a drum solo to quiet HS. Hagar finishes his point of being under pressure to do well, otherwise he might get kicked out - since he has been kicked out of every band he has been in.

Future in the Past - Sammy tells the story about how the recording sessions literally put recording engineer Andy Johns in the hospital. Chad visited AJ in the hospital and commanded him to get better telling him “no one dies during a CF recording session”. AJ replied that CF needs one more song for the album, which becomes FITP, written in one day.

Bad Motor Scooter - complete with Sammy slide intro.
    Highway Star - Sammy puts on a chicken head hat at the end of the song.

RANDOM MUSINGS:

For the first few songs Mike is playing a Yamaha matte black bass with a white CF logo, Satch, a white Ibanez with a Black CF logo, which almost looked like they were striped, similar to the way EVH and WVH played similar striped guitars on the last VH tour.

Sammy's wife and Mike's daughter and her BF were at the show, watching from the green room balcony.

CS stole the show that night. He is an amazing drummer, and plays like a man possessed . Chad is alpha male of the group. Joe and Sam might write the songs but when the music starts, Chad is running the show. I didn’t understand at first his interest in CF, but clearly CF is HIS BAND. My impression is that he has a lot more influence in the musical direction and band than might be expected as being “the drummer”. While CS may have been in the shadows in the RHCP, in CF he displays his true nature.

CS hammed it up with the audience every chance he got. The man is 5150 crazy! He probably threw a dozen sticks to the audience. SH mentioned that the RHCP didn't give CS a mic - for good reason.

SH mentioned that CF was a San Francisco band, looked at CS and said ‘well at least half of the band is.” Chad jumped on stage, put his arm around MA and asked the audience to adopt them..

Sammy introduced Chad as Will Ferrell and asked him how the new movie, in which he wears boxers and a wife beater, was coming along. Chad responded that he enjoyed his new role, while pretending to act out the “more cowbell” scene from the SNL BOC skit.

Satch is like a kid on Christmas playing with this band. I was blown away by his virtuosity and stage presence. I came away with the impression that he is very proud of the album.

Sammy remarked how well Joe plays considering he probably can’t see anything glasses with the dark glasses he wore and said he was going to start calling him ‘Jose Satriani’.

I heard SH and CS fine. Mike was mixed low, Joe was mixed even lower and it was difficult to pick out the intricacies of his technique.

The show was just over two hours. Some solo acoustic blues guitarist kid from Ireland opened.

CONCLUSION:

Chickenfoot is the real deal. They played inspired and tight for a band that hasn’t had the benefit of playing together very much. I got the impression the band really enjoyed playing together and I think the personalities in the band mesh well. I wouldn’t doubt if CF records several albums together.

Forget all your notions of “The Other Half”, this is an entirely different type of gig. Put aside all your Sammy and Mike hate and check these guys out. If you don’t like these guys live, you don’t like Rock music.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Great review, man! Thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Last Online

11.26.16 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks for this honest review man..I'm so happy for the few who has a chance to go see these guys in this small venue type atmosphere..No doubt its a great time.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Sammy introduced Chad as Will Ferrell and asked him how the new movie, in which he wears boxers and a wife beater, was coming along. Chad responded that he enjoyed his new role, while pretending to act out the “more cowbell” scene from the SNL BOC skit.
    This part here just cracks me the fuck up.
    I'd always wondered how Chad felt about the fact that he looks like he could be that guy's twin brother and is he sick of hearing about it. Looks like he loves it and plays it up every chance he gets.

Even refers to himself as Ricky Bobby on the CF site.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:53 PM
    Liked 1,484 Times in 905 Posts

Thanks for the review!

I can't wait to see this band!!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Chickenfoot III
    Favorite VH Song

Different Devil
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 11:15 AM
    Liked 340 Times in 184 Posts

Donor

Awesome review.
    Sammy did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    Michael did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it.
    --------------------------
    IAMA I am a stage hand for big mainstream artists. (self.IAmA)

Q: who was the biggest douche that you have worked with?

A: Eddie Van Halen hands down he threatened all the stage hands that if we wernt all pushed to the side when he got off stage that he would "bash our faces in"

Now the new David-Lee-Roth-Van Halen album, “Tokyo Dome In Concert,” is available for purchase, and it’s super, super, super, super, super, super, crazy bad. - Doug Elfman

Last Online

02.10.13 @ 05:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A little surprised about the "Turning left" comment. It sounded promising from the clip I heard.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

02.17.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing them after they have fiined tuned everything after Europe. Sounds like Turnin Left may not be the best song to close out the set before the encore. The Bad Motor Scooter youtube is very good if you haven't had a chance to see it.
    If you want a little peace, sometimes you got to fight
    We got to walk through the darkness
    Before we stand in the light.
    -S. Hagar

http://www.chickenfoot.us/

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 742 Times in 409 Posts

Premium Member

What a great review! Thanks!!

I am intrigued by the Chad comments....What was mike doing the whole night? I would imagine he was as happy as a pig in shit (being in a band that appreciates hinm)....
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:56 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well done. Great review!
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

Awesome review.
    Really exciting!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

When It's Love
    Last Online

11.22.16 @ 06:52 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the review man, great details.
    Up Front Fanatics.......................................... .................................................. .........................................I never met a man does'nt owe somebody somethin

"They had me at fuck off".....Track 5 talking bout Glenn and Seenbad when he first posted at the links!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning, Balance
    Last Online

09.25.11 @ 08:26 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great review! I was there as well and Stosh's review is dead on.

We were standing outside the club around 8pm when Chad pulled up in a taxi just 10 feet away from us. He stepped out with a couple of other guys wearing a UCLA Bruins hat on backwards. He took a look around, checked out the scene, and then said, "Let's go make some f'n rock and roll", and headed in. Totally casual guy.

The only things I would add for me personally is how much Chad Smith adds to this band.

Chad is a MONSTER, a true powerhouse but with a hell of a lot of finesse and a killer sense of rhythm. The more progressive rhythm section gives Mike a lot more freedom to play as well. This guy is the closest to John Bonham that I've seen in years.

The chemistry and balance in this band is amazing given the handful of times they've rehearsed. The energy and true camaraderie/excitement/joy these guys have together brings back the 5150 days.

Sam sings as well as he did back with VH, and Joe seems to really dig being a team player where he can showcase and then hold down the groove. And while Joe may be more versatile than Ed in terms of blues, jazz, funk, etc repetoire, the real difference in this band compared to VH is the rhythm section dynamic. I hope these guys play together for many years to come. Catch them in a small venue if you can--a truly rare experience.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Young & Wild
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 61 Times in 21 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    This part here just cracks me the fuck up.
    I'd always wondered how Chad felt about the fact that he looks like he could be that guy's twin brother and is he sick of hearing about it. Looks like he loves it and plays it up every chance he gets.

Even refers to himself as Ricky Bobby on the CF site.
    It would be a real shame/missed opportunity if this didn't lend itself to an SNL appearance by the band in the fall when SNL is back in season & Chickenfoot is back in the states touring.

I know Ferrell just hosted the season finale, but judging by the weekly guest star drop-ins (Christ there must have ten in the finale alone), there shouldn't be a problem getting Ferrell back to his old stomping grounds & I imagine they could come up with something pretty damn entertaining. Even if it's just Will sitting in with the band & Chad throwing him off his kit before they get into a song, I hope they pull something like that off....mostly for the exposure for CF, but it would be pretty damn funny too.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spe5150 View Post
    It would be a real shame/missed opportunity if this didn't lend itself to an SNL appearance by the band in the fall when SNL is back in season & Chickenfoot is back in the states touring.

I know Ferrell just hosted the season finale, but judging by the weekly guest star drop-ins (Christ there must have ten in the finale alone), there shouldn't be a problem getting Ferrell back to his old stomping grounds & I imagine they could come up with something pretty damn entertaining. Even if it's just Will sitting in with the band & Chad throwing him off his kit before they get into a song, I hope they pull something like that off....mostly for the exposure for CF, but it would be pretty damn funny too.
    They should just get Chickenfoot as the musical guest and have Ferrell come out and play the cowbell with them, like he did with Queens of the Stonage.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox