Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:35 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default US Funds $2.6 Million Study to Get Prostitutes in China to Drink Less

The US federal government is spending $2.6 million to make sure prostitutes in China drink less on the job.

That's the goal of a five-year study, bankrolled by the National Institutes of Health, designed to help lower HIV infections among China's "female sex workers," who are referred to in the study as "FSWs."

Researchers will visit 100 houses of ill repute -- a whole hamlet of harlots -- to collect data on 700 prostitutes and 150 pimps and madams, referred to as "gatekeepers" in the study's sterile abstract.

Phase one of the study is intended to research "alcohol use/abuse and related sexual risk among FSWs in China," according to the abstract -- a cold hard look at why prostitutes engage in dangerous sex while drunk.

The study's director says the information gained from the study will then be used to tailor HIV prevention programs for the bawds from Beihai, a coastal tourist town in Guangxi province, which has the third-highest HIV infection rate of China's 22 provinces.

The project comes thanks to a grant from the NIH's National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, which is also funding a $400,000 study of bars in Buenos Aires to find out why gay men engage in risky sexual behavior while drunk -- and just what can be done about it.

The first prong of the Chinese intervention program involves "gatekeeper training," which means teaching pimps and madams to enhance the culture of safe sex in their brothels.

The study's director, Dr. Xiaoming Li of Wayne State University in Michigan, then hopes to convince the prostitutes to drink less and use condoms more while they're on the job.

The U.N. estimates that about 700,000 people are infected with HIV in China, mostly transmitted through unprotected sex. Recent government programs to distribute condoms to prostitutes have helped address the problem, but they haven't solved it.

The study -- tailored specifically for use in China -- was approved in November, and the government has already spent $469,903 to fund it.

"The proposed intervention program will be a cultural adaptation and integration of existing evidence-based programs in Asian settings," reads the study's abstract, which singles out China as a special challenge because of unique cultural circumstances (and 10 million working prostitutes) there.

Dr. Li, who did not respond to calls and e-mails from FOXNews.com seeking comment, told CNS News that because prostitution occurs with alcohol use in the United States, just as it does in China, Americans will be able to benefit from the project's findings.

"We want to get some understanding of the fundamental role of alcohol use and HIV risk," he said. "We use the population in China as our targeted population to look at the basic issues. I think the findings will benefit the American people, too."
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Well now that takes all the fun out of it.

I think I'd have to be hammered to be able to do what they do.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thank God....Next time I go to China and want to party with a communist prostitute, at least I'll be assured she's sober!
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Billy Clinton have a trip coming up there any time soon?!?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

2.6 mil? As part of the US government's current budget that's like me dropping 3 pennies and not bending over to pick them up.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    [B]

The project comes thanks to a grant from the NIH's National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, which is also funding a $400,000 study of bars in Buenos Aires to find out why gay men engage in risky sexual behavior while drunk -- and just what can be done about it.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a homophobe, but I tend to think the simple fact of some gay dude being drunk in a bar in Buenos Aires is pretty damn risky.

And I doubt seriously that anything can be DONE about it. Or that they WANT anything done about it.

I do however know of several people who would help the Chinese prostitute study by volunteering their services. That looks like a worthy cause.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    2.6 mil? As part of the US government's current budget that's like me dropping 3 pennies and not bending over to pick them up.
    Unfortunately, that is that attitude that our government has, "it's only a drop in the bucket". The problem is that we have thousands of instances such as this that they spend money on studies that can be answered with common sense.

Why do prostitutes engage in risky behavior when drunk? Drinking lowers your inhibitions which helps them cope with their profession but also leads to a decreased sense of risk regarding the use of protection. They also have customers who are opposed to the use of condoms and they will continue with the sex act rather than lose business.

Okay, where is the 2.6 million since I have answered their question. As for the guys in Buenos Aries, it's already been studied that gay men participate in the most risky of behaviors. They have known about HIV for years and yet the behavior continues. How do they think they will actually change the culture?? If the possibility of contracting HIV and dying a long, slow horrible death does not change your behavior, what will??
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    Unfortunately, that is that attitude that our government has, "it's only a drop in the bucket". The problem is that we have thousands of instances such as this that they spend money on studies that can be answered with common sense.

Why do prostitutes engage in risky behavior when drunk? Drinking lowers your inhibitions which helps them cope with their profession but also leads to a decreased sense of risk regarding the use of protection. They also have customers who are opposed to the use of condoms and they will continue with the sex act rather than lose business.

Okay, where is the 2.6 million since I have answered their question. As for the guys in Buenos Aries, it's already been studied that gay men participate in the most risky of behaviors. They have known about HIV for years and yet the behavior continues. How do they think they will actually change the culture?? If the possibility of contracting HIV and dying a long, slow horrible death does not change your behavior, what will??
    That's exactly my point...our budget is in the trillions...another 2.6 mil is nothing. I'm no longer surprised by thing things I hear about being slipped into a bill or a budget. it's utter lunacy.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Im currently filling out a grant request for $4 mil to study why some fans prefer Dave and some fans prefer Sam.
    After its conclusion, there will be a follow-up study to see why grass is green and why the sky is blue
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:05 PM
    Liked 2,390 Times in 1,492 Posts

Premium Member

When your paying 4 dollars for a loaf of store bread remember this.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.