Thread: FIRST PAINT JOB

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

01.26.13 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default FIRST PAINT JOB

just recieved body and neck from warmoth today. everything looks good. i told the guy on the phone i wanted a contoured heel...didnt come contoured. didnt pay for it so i can live that. the neck has the truss adjustment in the heel which i hate. i never specified i wanted it in the headstock so that one is my fault. the last neck i had made had it in the spot i wanted but i must have specified. this time i thought their pro necks all had it in the headstock. pain in the a** but should love taking the neck off to adjust action. no big deal though. i also got an extra adjustment screw on the side of the neck near the 17th fret...something new to learn i guess. i layed the pickup in the cavity, it doesnt stick up much past the top so it looks like ill have to make a shim of some sort to raise it up a little. here are some pictures, still waiting for my reranch order so i can get started with step #1-grain filling. im gonna post pictures of the whole process from start to finish, but itll probably take a while. if any of you see me doing anything wrong or if it looks like something needs to be redone, please speak up. and ill definately appreciate all tips and tricks you can recomend. thanks.

Last edited by ANTHONY5150; 05.13.09 at 02:32 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ANTHONY5150 View Post
    just recieved body and neck from warmoth today. everything looks good. i told the guy on the phone i wanted a contoured heel...didnt come contoured. didnt pay for it so i can live that. the neck has the truss adjustment in the heel which i hate. i never specified i wanted it in the headstock so that one is my fault. the last neck i had made had it in the spot i wanted but i must have specified. this time i thought their pro necks all had it in the headstock. pain in the a** but should love taking the neck off to adjust action. no big deal though. i also got an extra adjustment screw on the side of the neck near the 17th fret...something new to learn i guess. i layed the pickup in the cavity, it doesnt stick up much past the top so it looks like ill have to make a shim of some sort to raise it up a little. here are some pictures, still waiting for my reranch order so i can get started with step #1-grain filling. im gonna post pictures of the whole process from start to finish, but itll probably take a while. if any of you see me doing anything wrong or if it looks like something needs to be redone, please speak up. and ill definately appreciate all tips and tricks you can recomend. thanks.

Ahhhhh. You got the Gotoh side truss rod adjustment. I've heard they work well, but are more of a fine adjustment ,only for seasonal climate changes, or minor guage swaps. Still have to do the main adjusting at the heel, but with this device, once it's done, you should'nt have to pull the neck as often as normal, which can almost be never too. Can't wait to see more pics. Nice grain on the body BTW.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

heres an update:
    i applied grain filler twice to the body and will be sanding it tonight. i dont see any need for pictures at this point as it pretty much will (hopefully) look not much different that the first ones. im gonna make a booth out of plastic for the spray coats to keep dust to a minimum. hopefully im gonna get 2 coats of sealer on this week. im planning on putting them on thin, thats the correct way, right? also, the trem anchor holes, should i plug those? the last body i got from warmoth was finished and those holes were finished over. i had bang the anchors pretty good to get them in.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

05.18.09 @ 01:13 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't plug the holes. Just when you're done you may have to ream them out a bit, no big deal. Either use a dowel rod with adhesive sand paper on one the end or else use a reamer if you have one. But if you plug the holes you will have to score the finish and you may damage the finish. Other than that, everything looks good.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just crumble small peices of newspaper and put em in the holes. Comes out easy when done and you just have to "carve" around the tops when ready. Too much crap in the holes will make it that much more of a chance of cracks when pressin inserts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i got everything ready for spraying. however, i cut a board down to attach to the neck pocket so i can hang it. he screws for the neck arent big enough to bite into the body. i bought the next size up, they are even too small. i was trying to avoid opening the holes up with an even larger screw. is there another way to do this or is it ok to open the holes up slightly. if thats the case i will buy screw that will only go into the body about 1/2".

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i got everything ready for spraying. however, i cut a board down to attach to the neck pocket so i can hang it. he screws for the neck arent big enough to bite into the body. i bought the next size up, they are even too small. i was trying to avoid opening the holes up with an even larger screw. is there another way to do this or is it ok to open the holes up slightly. if thats the case i will buy screw that will only go into the body about 1/2".
    The screws go through the backside of the guitar and into the hanging stick that is attached inside the neck pocket.

DO NOT enlarge the holes or screw anything into the body.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    The screws go through the backside of the guitar and into the hanging stick that is attached inside the neck pocket.

DO NOT enlarge the holes or screw anything into the body.
    i was thinking that but thats gonna leave 2 bare circles on the back of the body from the screw heads. i dont really mind since the neck plate will cover them though. ill do that

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i was thinking that but thats gonna leave 2 bare circles on the back of the body from the screw heads. i dont really mind since the neck plate will cover them though. ill do that
    Ata boy.
    btw ... did you do your mock-up Anthony?
    At the very least, I would string it up and align the neck before painting it.
    The less that has to be done once it's painted, the less chance there will be of accidently damaging your finish.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    Ata boy.
    btw ... did you do your mock-up Anthony?
    At the very least, I would string it up and align the neck before painting it.
    The less that has to be done once it's painted, the less chance there will be of accidently damaging your finish.
    AHHHH MAAAAAN, YOU CAUGHT ME! im actually skipping this step against your better judgement. . i dont have the tuners or the bridge yet, nor the money to buy them due to emergency purchase (ac broke last week, had to buy new furnace, A coil, and housing = $3800). so i do realize im taking a chance but im hoping for the best. although this has nothing to do with the one im doing now, the last one i bought from warmoth went together perfectly, and is one of the best playing guitars i own.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

here is the first 2 coats of sealer(still wet), sprayed 1 hour apart.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i pulled this thing down, seems to be smoother than i thought it would be. there was 1 tiny little run in it near the jack hole. i sanded it down with 220 and just to be sure i gave a quick spray in that area in case i may have sanded through. i dont think i did but after going over the area with a tack cloth, it was a little lighter in color. question about the tack cloth...i had a film all over my hand after using it, that stuff doesnt adhere to work surfaces? the body wasnt sticky at all but my hand was. i am going to go over the body with 2000 after work and get the primer started. how many coats should i do? im doing all coats real thin to keep them nice and smooth. also, is 6 hours long enough to wait for nitro sealer to dry (just a quick little burst) before i start working on it. it seemed to dry pretty fast last night.
    Last edited by ANTHONY5150; 05.22.09 at 07:38 AM.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Your sealer looks fantastic.
    Sanding it down is ok. Its what is allready in the wood, not the surface, that counts.
    Dont be concerned about the sticky crap. As long as you dont rub the thing like it was sandpaper, your cool.
    Sand it with somethin a little more abrasive.
    Like 800 or 600.
    The suckers gotta be smooth like a babys ass.
    Primer it till you think you have a good, even coat.
    Then give it one more.
    Use it just like any other paint. Like you said. A couple thin coats, then thicker as you apply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i am going to go over the body with 2000 after work and get the primer started.
    Rons absolutely right ... You're gonna need to use a heavier grit (I'd probably go 400-600) in order to provide some "tooth" for the following coats to adhere to. Using a finer grit in between coats will make it more difficult for the paint to adhere to the surface and may cause it to flake off.

Save the 2000 grit for you final clearcoat.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks guys, im gald you guys steered me the right way...again. ill go get some 600. how about 6 hours of dry time on the nitro sealer? is that long enough?