Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

07.31.17 @ 06:59 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default red,black,white stripe question and peavey question

I did not know where to put this....

Does anyone know why Eddie stopped using the red, white, and black stripe design on his guitars after OU812? Just curious.

Also, in the Toronto 95 video, during Not Enough, was that one of the first Peavey's?

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I wasn't aware that Ed stopped using the red/white/black stripe design.

I even think I remember seeing one of his new Fender Wolfgang's striped up red/white/black.

As for the Peavey ... I honestly don't know, but I'd say it's most likely.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would say it had to do with the EBMM signature model deal. They probably wanted to create a model that would appeal to a broad audience, not just VH freaks. The striped design would have deterred a lot of people who werenít VH fans (and possibly some who were) from buying one of those guitars.
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

ďÖand thatís when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.Ē

- Dewey Cox

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post

Does anyone know why Eddie stopped using the red, white, and black stripe design on his guitars after OU812? Just curious.

Also, in the Toronto 95 video, during Not Enough, was that one of the first Peavey's?
    He didn't actually stop. If you look at videos like Poundcake, and Runaround, you'll clearly see striped up Ernie Balls, although quick glimpses. The main reason he did not play striped up Ernie's or Peavey's to any great degree was that the maple tops were a key cosmetic/sound feature of the guitar. With the Music Man, Being that his Amber Quilt was his favorite sounding guitar during that time, (as well as a few other colored quilts were backups) and being the first time he had actual design cred. he left the guitar as is, as from a sales standpoint, the maple/basswood combination was a significant factor to it's sound. it was also a sexy looking guitar in stock form. It was essentially the same deal for Peavey. He had even more say in the design, it was actually his. These were also available of course in solid color, basswood only versions, and he did have a few of these model striped up. (there was a GW Ross Halfin photo shoot showing one of them. Check out Halfins site.)So to sum it up...they do exist, and he has used them. In fact, alot of FUCK was recorded with an unfinished all basswood prototype MusicMan. Apperently this is in fact the one that Ed striped after production began on the EBMM's and used in the Poundcake and Runaround vids. It's also fitted with a ball on the end of the bar in the poundcake vid. With EVH, yes Ed did have his new Wolf striped up. It was on the GW cover (1 of 4) with the Drop 2 Hell tailpiece fitted. I'm sure Ed will pull out the striped design occasionally in the future. it's his trademark after all, but he's also older, and having a nicely finished guitar is a treat too.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 05.13.09 at 08:56 AM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    I would say it had to do with the EBMM signature model deal. They probably wanted to create a model that would appeal to a broad audience, not just VH freaks. The striped design would have deterred a lot of people who werenít VH fans (and possibly some who were) from buying one of those guitars.
    That definately in there. Those tops were gorgeous. Those Early Peavey's too. Why fuck em' up?
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

With Ed being so innovative and so keen on "tone", I really have to wonder why he painted his guitars with spraypaint all those years.

Favorite VH Album

All of em !
    Favorite VH Song

same as above
    Last Online

07.01.14 @ 09:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    With Ed being so innovative and so keen on "tone", I really have to wonder why he painted his guitars with spraypaint all those years.
    I know what you are sayin Dino, but i think that might be part of the reason ! He is always goin on about letting the wood "resonate" "breathe"etc not to have the bodys clearcoated, to let the body resonate more clearly . I reckon a fairly thick clearcoat might dampen the natural resonance of the body, just my 2 cents though !!

Doug
    You can tune a piano, but you cant tuna fish !

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp...=545590&T=6107

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Which goes to show that "tone" comes from the player, and what feels comfortable at a given time. I think a lot of people tend to over-analyse things like what kind of finish a guitar has and how it affects the sound. Especially when you take into account being plugged into a rig at ear shattering volumes next to loud drums and bass. I can't imagine a thin coat of spraypaint having any affect at all.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post

On the OU812 tour Eddie was using some Kramers that were striped and clear coated at the factory--an EVH factory finish, if-you-will.

Yes, he was using prototype Peavey Wolfgangs as of July '95. He used one with piezo for "Can't Stop Lovin' You," and there were also ivory and red quilt prototypes. Check out the "Not Enough" performance on Letterman in October '95 to see one of the early ones.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by dg5150 View Post
    I know what you are sayin Dino, but i think that might be part of the reason ! He is always goin on about letting the wood "resonate" "breathe"etc not to have the bodys clearcoated, to let the body resonate more clearly . I reckon a fairly thick clearcoat might dampen the natural resonance of the body, just my 2 cents though !!

Doug
    i have to agree with you Doug, i have refinished quite a few strats over the years for whatever reason and never use a clear, i can buff a standard gloss finish quite nicely without the need for a clear coat if iwant, and they always sound much better afterwards, they seem to have a much more woody tone, i even did a friends kids encore strat style guitar once, made of ply wood but when it was finished it sonded somewhere near reasonable, i think the clear coat is only there to protect the finish and not offer any tonal benifits.

just my 2 cents
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    i have to agree with you Doug, i have refinished quite a few strats over the years for whatever reason and never use a clear, i can buff a standard gloss finish quite nicely without the need for a clear coat if iwant, and they always sound much better afterwards, they seem to have a much more woody tone, i even did a friends kids encore strat style guitar once, made of ply wood but when it was finished it sonded somewhere near reasonable, i think the clear coat is only there to protect the finish and not offer any tonal benifits.

just my 2 cents
    To add to that thought- a simple oil and wax finish sounds the woodiest of any guitars I have built. I am a convert!!!

I will say this- hardness of finish does affect tone in a positive way. A gooey coat of rattle bomb paint would dampen tone like no tomorrow.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    Which goes to show that "tone" comes from the player, and what feels comfortable at a given time. I think a lot of people tend to over-analyse things like what kind of finish a guitar has and how it affects the sound. Especially when you take into account being plugged into a rig at ear shattering volumes next to loud drums and bass. I can't imagine a thin coat of spraypaint having any affect at all.
    I'm the first to preach "technique" over gear but I also know that finish DOES in fact make a difference in tone, resonance, and sustain.

A turd "plugged into a rig at ear shattering volumes" is still going to sound like a turd ... a very loud turd.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyman View Post
    I will say this- hardness of finish does affect tone in a positive way. A gooey coat of rattle bomb paint would dampen tone like no tomorrow.
    Exactly.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

I'm the first to preach "technique" over gear but I also know that finish DOES in fact make a difference in tone, resonance, and sustain.

A turd "plugged into a rig at ear shattering volumes" is still going to sound like a turd ... a very loud turd.
    Oh, a turd will sound like a turd, yes. I'm more talking about the finish. A quality guitar with finish & clearcoat vs. the same guitar with the finish stripped or sanded off. It may resonate a little differently, but in a live setting, cranked with distortion I can't imagine there being a noticable difference.
    I will say that I do like the nitro finish like the old Fenders had over the thick poly coat on most guitars nowdays.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    Oh, a turd will sound like a turd, yes. I'm more talking about the finish. A quality guitar with finish & clearcoat vs. the same guitar with the finish stripped or sanded off. It may resonate a little differently, but in a live setting, cranked with distortion I can't imagine there being a noticable difference.
    I will say that I do like the nitro finish like the old Fenders had over the thick poly coat on most guitars nowdays.
    Yeah, I'm talking finish too ... specifically the acrylic laqcuer type stuff often found in spraypaint.

Both nitro and poly provide a hard finish ... spraypaint won't.
    As bunnyman stated ... "A gooey coat of rattle bomb paint would dampen tone like no tomorrow."

Sure ... technique, amps, EQ's, effects, all contribute to tone.
    I guess my point is that a guitar with a nice hard finish will be more resonant and sound more "alive" even when unplugged. Amps, EQ's and effects will only enhance it's tone, not mask it or compensate for the lack of tone found on guitars with a crappy spraycan finsh.