Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Conn. bar owner removes 'pimped' Obama cutout

HAMDEN — A cardboard cutout of President Barack Obama that appeared to depict the commander-in-chief as a pimp has drawn the attention of the NAACP.

The life-size image, which was accessorized with gold teeth, a pink woman’s hat, Mardi Gras beads, a hair pick and ornate rings, was taken down Tuesday from its perch behind the bar at the Side Street Grille on Whitney Avenue, four days after a black patron noticed and first complained. He contacted the NAACP this week after he returned Monday and saw it still on display.

“I was appalled when I saw the actual picture e-mailed over to me,” said Scot X. Esdaile, the NAACP state president, who said the display crossed any line of political parody. “The thing is a negative racial stereotype,” he said. “I don’t know of any negative racial stereotype aimed at George Bush.”

Bob Severino, owner of the bar, which is located near the Quinnipiac University campus, said Tuesday that the cutout was simply a joke and nothing more. He bristled at what he called strong-arm threats of pickets if the cutout wasn’t removed.

“We’re not Russia yet. We’re not North Korea yet. We can still make fun of the president,” said Severino. “If I could have found a (Speaker of the House Nancy) Pelosi poster, she’d be up there too. I didn’t find it to be racist at all.”

Even though Severino believes he has a right to keep it up in a private business, he took the cutout down “because it wasn’t worth the headache. I have a family to support.”

He said Bush was fodder for lampoons on late night television for years but “it seems like this president, if you make fun of him, you’re racist, if you didn’t vote for him, you’re racist. It’s hands off for some reason.”

“There’s got to be a larger issue to fight than a cardboard cutout at a college bar.”

Esdaile said Bush satire never focused on race, as this appeared to derisively do to Obama.

The Obama cutout issue was first raised Friday when Hamden businessman and NAACP member Richard A. Pearce noticed it when he sat down at the bar for a beer while waiting for a pick-up order from the kitchen. He raised his objections to Severino’s partner but got brushed off, he said. He returned Monday and it was still up. After a second conversation with the partner, Pearce called the NAACP.

“Even if it were intended in good nature, once someone explains to you how offensive it is and why, what possible excuse can be given to keep it up? I gave him every opportunity to take it down,” Pearce said Tuesday, adding, “Let’s not be naive. We don’t live in a colorblind world by any means yet. I was doubly offended because he is the first African-American president and they’re demeaning him looking like a pimp almost and, secondarily, he is my president.”

Esdaile said the NAACP would meet with the two members who made the complaints to determine what to do next and said he wanted to sit down with the bar owner.

“We are still very skeptical that they thought it was funny and that it was appropriate.”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Mtv presents: Pimp my President
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

it's going to be a looooooong four years...
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:36 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    [B]The Obama cutout issue was first raised Friday when Hamden businessman and NAACP member Richard A. Pearce noticed it when he sat down at the bar for a beer
    Well if it offends you don't frequent the bar.

Though I'll admit, the pink hat was uncalled for.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    “I was appalled when I saw the actual picture e-mailed over to me,” said Scot X. Esdaile, the NAACP state president, who said the display crossed any line of political parody. “The thing is a negative racial stereotype,” he said. “I don’t know of any negative racial stereotype aimed at George Bush.”
    I can see his point, but then I think of all the (satirical) pictures of George Bush I've seen and tried to think if there was anything that could be viewed as stereotypical, and then I thought, what kind of picture of a "white" person would be considered a negative racial stereotype? Seriously - I can't think of one. I'm not sure there are any. How can we get all people to the same level where there are no racial stereotypes? Is it even possible?

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by billy007 View Post
    I can see his point, but then I think of all the (satirical) pictures of George Bush I've seen and tried to think if there was anything that could be viewed as stereotypical, and then I thought, what kind of picture of a "white" person would be considered a negative racial stereotype? Seriously - I can't think of one. I'm not sure there are any. How can we get all people to the same level where there are no racial stereotypes? Is it even possible?
    The only way to "get passed racial stereotypes" is for people to stop fucking embodying them.

Call me a racist but if I drive down to Leeland and Scott where I used to live a few years ago, I will see hundreds of walking, talking stereotypes...combs in the hair, curlers, bathroom slippers, shouting, 40s, crack, gold teeth, feathers in the hats, pants dragging, grills, even LA Raider coats in the dead summer...yep some folks still wear those. You name a stereotype, I'll show it to you in real life. From the guys pulling an old dinner table into the middle of the street so they can throw bones and drink Mad Dog or Cobra Malt Liquor to the guys walking around with a slice of watermelon in one hand and a chicken leg in the other.

Same with every other group of people...there exists in all walks of life people who embody the negative stereotypes of their respective groups, be they religious, racial, ethnic, sexuality, financial bracket...whatever.

Does every member of a particular group embody the traits of their negative stereotypes? of COURSE NOT! To think so is simply retarded but it is equally retarded to try and deny that many people DO embody those traits and pretend that it isn't funny from various perspectives or that it's not worthy of serious discussion and acknowledgement.

What we need to get passed is people's inability to accept it for what it is. What needs to happen is for people to get off their damn high horse...especially this guy that bitched about the poster. Why doesn't he go downtown and bitch at the people who embody the stereotype? Who actually live their lives like that? Who push that negative image with what seems to be a sense of pride? If he's soooo bothered by the image, why not go to the source?

As for stereotypical white guys...sure there are images...Jerry Seinfeld is one. Typical upper middle class, loft living, white bread, no rhythm guy. You also have hillbillies and rednecks and there was a lot of portrayal of Bush as one. Then you have the nerdy white guys with their white short sleeve shirts and black ties.

There are plenty of stereotypes for white people, difference is, when a minority comedian like Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock or Carlos Mencia use them, white people laugh right along with the minorities.

When minority groups make fun of their own stereotypes, everyone laughs.

But a white guy makes fun of a minority stereotype, and holy shit, call the NAACP, call the sensitivity police, send him to a reprogramming camp.

Again, it's going to be a loooooong 4 years because a whole lot of people are going to take issue with how the president is portrayed and a whole lot of other people are going to do things just to get a rise out of people.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

I think Urkel, Lamar, Carlton Banks and the Asian guy in "Revenge Of The Nerds" broke that one! (if it ever was one!)

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    What we need to get passed is people's inability to accept it for what it is. What needs to happen is for people to get off their damn high horse...especially this guy that bitched about the poster. Why doesn't he go downtown and bitch at the people who embody the stereotype? Who actually live their lives like that? Who push that negative image with what seems to be a sense of pride? If he's soooo bothered by the image, why not go to the source?
    exactly!

As for stereotypical white guys...sure there are images...Jerry Seinfeld is one. Typical upper middle class, loft living, white bread, no rhythm guy. You also have hillbillies and rednecks and there was a lot of portrayal of Bush as one. Then you have the nerdy white guys with their white short sleeve shirts and black ties.

There are plenty of stereotypes for white people, difference is, when a minority comedian like Eddie Murphy or Chris Rock or Carlos Mencia use them, white people laugh right along with the minorities.

But a white guy makes fun of a minority stereotype, and holy shit, call the NAACP, call the sensitivity police, send him to a reprogramming camp.

Again, it's going to be a loooooong 4 years because a whole lot of people are going to take issue with how the president is portrayed and a whole lot of other people are going to do things just to get a rise out of people.
    And I guess that's what I was trying to get at - yeah, there are so-called white stereotypes, but if you picture someone as "white trash" or UMC or "can't jump (or dance)" I don't see where people get offended. The subject of the image might be offended, but there's no "white" Al Sharpton to jump in and say "you can't do that". I can't think of any way to depict a "white" person that would be considered a stereotype of "white" people where "white" people would get offended. I mean, put a Klan outfit on a "white" guy and people might get offended, but not because it's a symbol of being "white", but because it's a symbol of hate. They'd be just offended if you put that Klan outfit on a "black" man. Same thing with a Nazi armband. I can't think of one thing that if you made a picture of "white" person with it, it would upset a large sector of the race. Religion, sure; nationality, you betcha; but something just because a person has "white" skin - can't think of one.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:17 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Pimpin ain't easy!
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Didn't Snoop say you have to keep the pimp hand strong??

You know, I can see where someone might find this offensive simply because I still believe that we should show respect for our president but for the NAACP to jump right in and make a huge case out of it is ridiculous. In my mind, they are simply justifying their existence. Making mountains out of mole hills.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Sounds like this has more to do with the "thickness" of your skin rather than the color. This guy, Scot X. Esdaile loves to create controversy here in CT. He's is more of the leader of the National Association of Blowhards.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

OK, not to be politically UNcorrect, but I see just as many WHITE guys wearing that crap as anyone.
    Is it disrespectful of the president? Yes.
    Is this America, where freedom of speech is constitutionally guaranteed? YES
    IMHO, this kind of stuff is self-fulfilling. Person A says something Person B doesnt like, Person B calls some activist group and THEY complain, thus giving power to Person A. If this kind of stuff was ignored, I have a feeling a lot of it would go away.
    And if I were that guy in the bar, I wouldve just said, "I cant support a business that would display something like that...you keep my food". And walk out. Enough people do that, and the display goes away.
    Instead, this guy is getting free publicity for his business, and I bet half the racist-thinking people in the area show up there and buy something.
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

The only way to "get passed racial stereotypes" is for people to stop fucking embodying them.

Call me a racist but if I drive down to Leeland and Scott where I used to live a few years ago, I will see hundreds of walking, talking stereotypes...combs in the hair, curlers, bathroom slippers, shouting, 40s, crack, gold teeth, feathers in the hats, pants dragging, grills, even LA Raider coats in the dead summer...yep some folks still wear those. You name a stereotype, I'll show it to you in real life. From the guys pulling an old dinner table into the middle of the street so they can throw bones and drink Mad Dog or Cobra Malt Liquor to the guys walking around with a slice of watermelon in one hand and a chicken leg in the other.

Same with every other group of people...there exists in all walks of life people who embody the negative stereotypes of their respective groups, be they religious, racial, ethnic, sexuality, financial bracket...whatever.

Does every member of a particular group embody the traits of their negative stereotypes? of COURSE NOT! To think so is simply retarded but it is equally retarded to try and deny that many people DO embody those traits and pretend that it isn't funny from various perspectives or that it's not worthy of serious discussion and acknowledgement.

You said it all!!
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

'The Truth' by Painter Michael D'Antuono which will be unveiled on President Obama's 100th Day in Office at NYC's Union Square.