Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

Default Eddie and the “Churchill gene”

I came accross this article and thought of Eddie... (at least in his early years)

I drink, therefore I can

Most people use alcohol as a social rather than creative stimulant, banishing cares with a potation or two after work; lubricating discourse rather than inspiring the intellect. Yet a number of our greatest writers, painters and musicians also seem to have relied on it as fuel for their muse. Winston Churchill claimed it crucial for The World Crisis, his six-volume memoirs, stating: “always remember that I have taken more out of alcohol than it has taken out of me.” Novelist William Faulkner drank more intermittently, but claimed not to be ab le to face a blank page without a bottle of Jack Daniels. Beethoven fell under the influence in the later part of his creative life. Among painters, Van Gogh, Jackson Pollock, Francis Bacon and many others liked a drop or two while working.

Such figures make alcohol part of the territory of creativity. An exceptional few seemed to thrive on drink, leading to the idea of a “Churchill gene”: where some have a genetic makeup allowing them to remain healthy and brilliant despite consumption that would kill others. Mark Twain endorsed this view saying: “My vices protect me but they would assassinate you!”

No doubt some real genes—especially those with a high expression of alcohol dehydrogenase and tolerance of alcohol breakdown products such as acetaldehyde, the “hangover” chemical—contribute to this theory. Yet until recently science has had little to say about alcohol and the creative process, confining itself to studies of damage, tolerance and addiction. Over the last few years, however, evidence has emerged that some have, if not a Churchill gene, then a creative cocktail gene.

While it does not establish a direct link between alcohol and creativity, the gene suggests alcohol has effects beyond sedation and relaxation. A 2004 study carried out at the University of Colorado found that around 15 per cent of Caucasians have a genetic variant, known as the G-variant, that makes ethanol behave more like an opioid drug, such as morphine, with a stronger than normal effect on mood and behaviour. This variant seems randomly distributed among the population: it emerged through mutation, although the factors affecting its selection remain unknown since, like all genes, it does not operate in isolation. (Probably in an earlier stage of evolution it gave advantages by amplifying pain relief.)

The Colorado study tested the DNA of moderate-to-heavy drinking students to determine whether they had the G-variant gene. They were divided into two groups accordingly, before having alcohol injected directly into the bloodstream (to eliminate differences in absorption rate). Those with the G-variant produced a slightly different version of what is known as the mu-opioid protein, which elicits a stronger response in the brain. As a result they reported stronger feelings of happiness and elation after their shot of alcohol. This initial euphoria is usually followed by a longer state of relaxation, lasting several hours. For those with the G-variant, this period aids the creative process. Perhaps the odd additional tipple might be needed to keep the fire burning, although too much further consumption douses the flames prematurely, inducing lethargy.

The effect of alcohol on this group is not the same as an opiate. The euphoria is much less pronounced than, say, heroin, while alcohol still exerts depressive effects. A drink too many and the soporific effect predominates, overwhelming the endorphins and sending even the G-variant drinker to sleep. This may be why Francis Bacon, by his own admission, worked well after a few drinks, but not when drunk.

The creative effect of alcohol, then, seems to involve a delicate counterpoint between stimulation and relaxation. Unlike some side-effects of drink, such as its tendency to make some people morose or violent, this endorphin release is positive and pleasant to behold. People with this gene variant also seem more prone to alcoholism, perhaps engaging in an increasingly vain pursuit of the highs they used to experience after the first drink or two.

Short of exhumation, it will be impossible to prove a connection between the G-variant of the mu-opioid receptor and creativity among historical figures who drank. But some drinking artists of the present could step forward for the mu-opioid receptor gene test. Meanwhile the government may want to resist the advice of its chief medical officer to set a minimum price of 50p per unit of alcohol; such moves could have unexpected side-effects for the nation’s creative output.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

I can play pool much better after downing two beers. But too many, and here comes the slop!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

08.19.10 @ 08:10 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Ah well, all that is hopefully in the past now. I'm sure at the time, Ed didn't realize what he was doing to his body, but DAMN! The music that oozed out of him (then and now) was something else!

I believe with all my heart, that most likely, if Ed ever puts out another album, will be very heart felt, and the most wonderful thing that I have ever experienced from him (thus far ).

Ed looks better, and seems to feel better than he ever has now, and I'd say that spills over into every aspect of his life....mentally as well as physically.

Hats off to you Ed!!! I love you with all my heart!
    Last edited by Kimmie5150; 05.13.09 at 07:09 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Very interesting.
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Whenever I sit down to write, I drink. I take a bottle of whiskey or bourbon with a bunch of soda pop and ice and start drinking and start playing.

Used to use other things too but I cut that out because it became counterproductive.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Used to use other things too but I cut that out because it became counterproductive.
    And if anyone wants to use EVH as a subject for this, alcohol by itself cannot be the only factor.
    There was alot of cocaine rolling around in there too.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Last Online

06.07.13 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't drank for a few years, but when I did - I thought I was awesome on guitar after I'd had a beer.

Then I heard myself.

Then I stopped drinking.

It was bad.
    Ed: Actually, the last record I bought was by a band called Brand X
    Al: I make my living by viciously attacking something
    Mike: ...actually I don't drink.
    Sammy: Are these yours Eddie?
    Dave: Look at that ankle - dirty girl!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:41 AM
    Liked 193 Times in 97 Posts

I tend to think I am more creative when I drink a beer and a shot while writing/ playing the guitar. If I go beyond that it becomes a less so.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    Did you HAVE to mention that?? I hate having to think about sad things Eddie did in his past . I mean, I don't think it'd be a big surprise to anyone that Ed did, indeed do coke, but gee whiz! That was when a time that addiction basically wasn't heard of, and doctors didn't know the long term effects it could cause someone.

Good lord! Look to a brighter future you people!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy 150 View Post
    And if anyone wants to use EVH as a subject for this, alcohol by itself cannot be the only factor.
    Very true. Ed loved the Devil's Dandruff did'nt he? Alcohol has been part of his life since he was 12 though. Being an alcoholic myself from about the same age, I suffer from the same social ineptitude he does. When I drank, it wasn't to get wasted, it was to feel "normal". I'm a social butterfly when I had a couple in me all the time. Since I've essentially cut it out of my life, my circle of friends has definately shrunk a bit. I don't go out as much as I used to, and I hate crowds in certain situations. I just don't engage people in an outgoing way sober, and I probably appear shy. (Oddly enough, I don't mind being onstage, but I think there is a disconnect there somehow). Not being preachy here. Totally agree with you.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabby gabbster View Post
    I can play pool much better after downing two beers. But too many, and here comes the slop!
    I had a professor in college that developed a theory on this.

It goes something like every beer counts for 25% in an hours time.
    You shoot better at 50% than at 25%; better at 75% than at 50%; but 100% is impossible to obtain. You can hover in the 80-90% range if well trained, but if you acheive 101% is all turns to hell. 0% is better than 101%.

This is why I haven't played pool in years.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Last Online

12.03.17 @ 11:54 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie5150 View Post
    That was when a time that addiction basically wasn't heard of, and doctors didn't know the long term effects it could cause someone.
    You're thinking of the 1880s, not 1980s.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kowski View Post
    You're thinking of the 1880s, not 1980s.

Uh......NO! Don't you ever read medical books or anything?

Besides, it doesn't matter now anyways. I just think it's a damn shame that people that supposedly "love" Ed so much could find it inside their hearts to say non-positive things about him. Look at the gift HE has given US. HE (not any of you) decided to share that gift, and he doesn't owe any of us one damn thing. If anything WE owe him our thanks and gratitude for giving us such great music that makes our hearts jump with joy, and that makes us feel so good.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Kimmie, relax. I think they knew coke was massively addictive in the 1980's. Ed snorted a shitload of it too. It's not about positive or negative. Really has nothing to do with that, but being such a fan girl just hearing about it is somehow negative to you. Sorry, but the man coked up massively. It is what it is.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Anything Ed plays on
    Favorite VH Song

See above
    Last Online

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Alrighty Seen, if you say so....but you know how I am when it comes to Ed.

Y'all gotta love me....LOL!