Favorite VH Album

VH, WACF, FW, 5150, OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams/Unchained/InASR/5150
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 04:30 AM
    Liked 298 Times in 161 Posts

Default Bob Lefsetz - "Down The Drain"

Anyone else read Bob Lefsetz's blog? In case you don't, Bob Lefsetz is - according to Wikipedia - an American music industry figure and author of the email newsletter and blog, the Lefsetz Letter. Based in Santa Monica, California, Lefsetz worked previously as an entertainment business attorney, majordomo of Sanctuary Music's American division and as a consultant to major record labels. Lefsetz deals with issues at the core of the music industry.

Anyway, he posted a blog yesterday entitled "Down The Drain". Here it is:

I don't know what's happening with that Coldplay lawsuit, especially now that Cat Stevens has weighed in, but I've always thought Joe Satriani has had better chops than material. That's the plight of too many of these eighties guitar superstars, they had technique, they spent 10,000 hours practicing in their bedrooms, they just neglected to take any SONGWRITING CLASSES!

Can't say I was a big fan of Montrose, my radio didn't go to that big rocky candy mountain. But I bought Sammy Hagar's second solo album, wherein he truly became the Red Rocker, but stopped buying when he started wearing jumpsuits and playing to the lowest common denominator. But then Sammy joined Van Halen.

We all agree Dave Van Halen is best. But that first album with Sammy, IT SMOKES! "Best Of Both Worlds" lacks the humor of Mr. Roth, but I like it almost as much as "And The Cradle Will Rock...", presently my favorite Van Halen track. And sure, it's Eddie's dynamics, his exquisite guitar work that makes "Best Of Both Worlds" work, still, Sammy SELLS IT! We've got the best of both worlds, a guitar god and a man who can truly sing!

But then Sammy got lost in a haze of tequila sales, his live shows became carnivals, after signing hats on stage during the Van Halen reunion he slunk off into obscurity, supported by the beer-bellied drunks driving their F-150s who wanted to party till they dropped. At least in between changing diapers and wearing themselves out at their blue collar jobs. Sammy became a footnote. And I wouldn't care, except my buddy Joel Selvin just wrote about his new act, Chickenfoot, on the San Francisco Gate: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...PKTA17AQQJ.DTL

I knew Joel before the Internet exploded, I loved his book about the Summer of Love, he added me to his e-mail distribution list years ago, I check out what he has to say, because I know the man. And today's article tells me about a supergroup, a new Sammy Hagar concoction. But what truly intrigues me is the inclusion of the Chili Peppers' drummer, Chad Smith, and...Joe Satriani?

Has Joe ever gotten drunk in his life? Isn't this the guy who taught guitar in the Valley? Isn't this like putting Taylor Swift together with Keith Richards? But what got me clicking was the statement that one of the band's tracks was already a hit in Canada. OH YEAH?

That's the name of the cut. I figure you can hear it somewhere online. So I fire up MySpace.

What comes out of the speakers is more than serviceable. If it were fifteen years ago and MTV still played music, was still the arbiter of public taste, this act would break through. Impressed, but not wanting to burden you with this cut that will make non-believers say SO WHAT, I decide to tweet about it. But as I'm composing my 140 character missive the MySpace player slides into the next cut, "Down The Drain".

There's an ethereal guitar figure, that only a maestro could concoct and execute, and then a thundering bass, played by the replaced by Wolfie on the Van Halen cleanup tour Michael Anthony, and pounding drums.

This is headbanging music. The kind Beavis & Butt-head loved. The kind that was replaced by the beat-driven, dance drivel that came to dominate the popular airwaves. Instead of buying a Strat and Marshall and turning it up to 11, youngsters focused on hair and makeup and making deals with beat doctors. The focus left rock and went to spectacle.

That's what a Britney Spears show is, that's what's got Live Nation in such a pickle. After you've paid to see the two-headed dwarf once, ARE YOU GOING TO GO AGAIN?

The sets keep getting more expensive. Gossip sites reveal the dancing divas don't even sing. You overpay for a moment in time, which you're ashamed you dropped your dollars on mere moments later.

The rock show was something different. There were no special outfits, no elaborate sets. The driving sound was enough. It went straight up the little girls' vaginas, had them screaming in ecstasy as the boys pumped their fists in the air, enthralled.

But it all depends on a virtuoso guitarist. Ozzy needed Randy Rhoads. Still needs Zakk Wylde. David Lee Roth needs Eddie Van Halen. And even though Sammy Hagar can pick a few notes himself, he needs somebody world class. And now he's found him. And stunningly, he's JOE SATRIANI?

"Down The Drain" is six minutes long. Plods in the beginning, like a Neanderthal trampling the landscape, but rings of the modern era, because of Satriani's guitar flourishes and Sammy's screams. The riff bludgeons, your head starts to bob, you can't turn it off, you want to see where it goes.

And it's not done too soon. This track is not condensed to fit a radio format, it stretches out, so you can grin and slap the dashboard as you drive, so you can raise your beer and toast life with your buddies.

There's something here. It's not about the marketing plan, it's about the music. There's an audience for this music. The rock acts always pull an audience. I'm spreading the word because if you like this kind of music, you'll be satisfied. If you don't, I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!

That's today's mantra. If you don't like my music, FUCK OFF! Go to the Hold Steady show, listen to TV On The Radio, which is not bad, but too intellectual. Sometimes we need something that speaks to our nuts! You can talk to a girl all night, but that's not going to bring you to orgasm. At some point you've got to take off your pants, she's got to stroke your dick, you've got to go inside. It's music like this that makes you hard. Allows you to fantasize and become erect!

Stay through until the end, where the whole number breaks down and it sounds like Sammy's just done the deed, like he's rolled off and is in ECSTASY!

Yes, the greatest rock and roll music exudes sex. And by that criterion, "Down The Drain" is a ravishing success.

This is the music that sells concert tickets. This is the gig you want to go to, to be amongst the teeming masses, rubbing up against those who are no longer self-conscious, but freed and transported by the tunes.

I don't give a shit who wins the Coldplay lawsuit. All I know is I'd rather see Chickenfoot! That's a real rock show, not one peopled by frightened college students driven by Apple ads. Chickenfoot's music is enough to sell the act. Marketing efforts are superfluous. Because if you like this kind of music, and you'd be surprised how many truly do, you can't stop playing it, and you have to tell everybody about it. And go to the show.

We're still waiting for new Van Halen tunes. Hopefully they'll be better than this Chickenfoot stuff. Eddie's a savant and Dave's so bright he can concoct fascinating lyrics. But they're so busy cleaning up on the reunion circuit, so afraid of taking risks, that there's nothing available. In the interim, check this out!

"The shit I read on this site." -- Dave's Dreidel (Nov 6th, 2013)

"Don't ever confuse talent with fame." -- Bob Lefsetz

"There's very little greatness in this world, but in the crucible of quality there's a special corner reserved for Van Halen." -- Bob Lefsetz

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

wow - amazing post from Bob...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

01.15.14 @ 05:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

"I've always thought Joe Satriani has had better chops than material. That's the plight of too many of these eighties guitar superstars, they had technique, they spent 10,000 hours practicing in their bedrooms, they just neglected to take any SONGWRITING CLASSES!"

Woah - it's the kook kapitalization thing. I love how these knobs generalize about decades of the guys output...Joe has some good stuff instrumentally. Besides, how can you diss Joe and praise Sam at the same time?!? Sam's had his moments but he has to be the king of throw away material.

I'm a particular fan of Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing.

Joe's a great guy. Yay Joe.
    Last edited by badkaraoke; 05.13.09 at 07:07 AM.
    A headless body in a topless bar...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

not exactly high praise!

But then Sammy got lost in a haze of tequila sales, his live shows became carnivals, after signing hats on stage during the Van Halen reunion he slunk off into obscurity, supported by the beer-bellied drunks driving their F-150s who wanted to party till they dropped. At least in between changing diapers and wearing themselves out at their blue collar jobs. Sammy became a footnote.
    I laughed out loud when I read this bit.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

We all agree Dave Van Halen is best. But that first album with Sammy, IT SMOKES! "Best Of Both Worlds" lacks the humor of Mr. Roth, but I like it almost as much as "And The Cradle Will Rock...", presently my favorite Van Halen track. And sure, it's Eddie's dynamics, his exquisite guitar work that makes "Best Of Both Worlds" work, still, Sammy SELLS IT! We've got the best of both worlds, a guitar god and a man who can truly sing!
    Seems pretty complimentary to me..the Tequila jibes seem indicative of someone who has been reading our forums.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by badkaraoke View Post
    Seems pretty complimentary to me..the Tequila jibes seem indicative of someone who has been reading our forums.
    exactly...the article is pretty balanced in terms of pointing out some of his negative opinions of both Joe and Sammy as well as his positive opinions about them. I dont' think one is more heralded than the other.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    exactly...the article is pretty balanced in terms of pointing out some of his negative opinions of both Joe and Sammy as well as his positive opinions about them. I dont' think one is more heralded than the other.
    Sorry, I was refering to his comments about songwriting and not the article in general. I guess I didn't make that clear.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,472 Times in 899 Posts

Interesting comments to say the least.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by badkaraoke View Post
    Sorry, I was refering to his comments about songwriting and not the article in general. I guess I didn't make that clear.
    isalllll good...I tend to agree with his description of Satriani but I'm not a fan of instrumental electric guitar music. I'm sure though for lots of people, his music was life changing and exciting and all that.

I've always felt he had mad mad chops but couldn't really do anything with them...Chickenfoot is starting to show that he knows exactly what to do with them and it's making me interested in digging into his catalog some to see if i've missed anything!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Changes On A Daily Basis
    Favorite VH Song

Ditto
    Last Online

07.10.17 @ 08:25 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

I'm a fan of Lefsetz, he's got a pretty good read on the music industry in the new millenium, and his dust up with Gene simmons a couple of months back was hilarious.

As fas as Lefsetz commentaries go, this one is pretty complimentary.
    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
    -H.S.T

This next part could really confuse things. Let's stay focused. #asis

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    isalllll good...I tend to agree with his description of Satriani but I'm not a fan of instrumental electric guitar music. I'm sure though for lots of people, his music was life changing and exciting and all that.
    I wouldn't say it was life changing - people tend to go for the hyperbole when talking rock/pop artists. Saying that someone who has a rep as a guitar slinger is "all chops and no art" isn't exactly a whacky opinion. It's a bar room opinion designed to get heads nodding in agreement. A cheap truism.

But Satch has recorded tons of stuff, I'd argue that none of it as throw away as a lot of Malmsteen or any of the crowd that were signed to Mike Varney's Shrapnel label during the eighties. In my opinion, as a casual Satriani listener who only owns a few pieces of product that he rarely listens to, he's mischaracterizing the guy big time.

...you say something like that on here and all of a sudden you're the biggest Satriani proponent online..

I've always felt he had mad mad chops but couldn't really do anything with them...Chickenfoot is starting to show that he knows exactly what to do with them and it's making me interested in digging into his catalog some to see if i've missed anything!
    He's pretty damn good. Maybe watch the G3 show with Vai, Satriani and Malmsteen.
    Last edited by badkaraoke; 05.13.09 at 10:22 AM.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

I dunno....first he said folk's that listen and support this kinda music were the lowest common denominator, we were beer drinking, truck driving knuckle draggers. Now he is praising this kinda music as being the return of fist pumping cawk rawk. Which is it Bob?

Hey...i know, why don't you go ask your friend Joel.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    I dunno....first he said folk's that listen and support this kinda music were the lowest common denominator, we were beer drinking, truck driving knuckle draggers. Now he is praising this kinda music as being the return of fist pumping cawk rawk. Which is it Bob?

Hey...i know, why don't you go ask your friend Joel.

I think he was referring to Sammy's "on the beach" razzamatazz, not plain ol' rock and roll.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    I think he was referring to Sammy's "on the beach" razzamatazz, not plain ol' rock and roll.
    Yes and no. He's up to speed now. That's what really matters.

Music that speaks to your nuts and slides up the little girl's vagina.

*sniff* That's beautiful.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I think I got a handle on this thing. First, the Foot, is all likeable guys. Other than Sammy hawkin tequila, what are the critics left to say? These guys are all widely considered "fan friendly' good dudes. I've never seen anything but nice things said about them all. These are the guys you would love to sit and have a beer with. Everyone seems to like these guys (except Eddie of course). That being said, the music is good to. I can easily see why these guys will do well in most peoples eyes.