Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Default "Chemical Device" Closes Lockport Township High School

Whoo-hoo! My school is the center of chemical device explosions and bomb threats! Nothing like doing it two weeks before school gets out, either

'Chemical device' closes Lockport school
    May 11, 2009 5:45 PM

"Students at Lockport Township High School's Central Campus were sent home early today after a device exploded in the school, releasing smoke and possibly chemicals.

School officials and Lockport police continued investigating the incident this afternoon. No suspects were in custody for the incident, which injured at least 14 and sent some to the hospital for treatment.

Lockport Police Chief William Kendziora declined to say exactly how many students or staff were sent to the hospital, but said all of the injuries were non-life threatening.

"It's sad and scary that this is what our children have to deal with in this day and age," said Carolyn Niksich, whose freshman daughter, Alexa, was in the school when the device went off.

Before students were released at 11:30 a.m., Kendziora said he was confident there was no longer a threat to the school. Classes will resume at Lockport Township High School's Central Campus, 1222 South Jefferson, Tuesday. All after-school activities were canceled for today.

Niksich's daughter, like other students, downplayed the incident, saying she was not scared and that she was not concerned about returning to school Tuesday. Students said they spent the time during lockdown in their classrooms doing homework, playing games or talking to one another.

Kendziora said he would not classify the incident as a "prank," noting the injuries some students and staff suffered. He was unsure what was in the bottle and would not comment on whether more than one device was found in the school.

August Anderson, a freshman who was treated for injuries at Silver Cross Hospital in Joliet, said she heard a pop, like a balloon, and then saw the hallway become foggy. Anderson, who has asthma, was taken to the hospital after paramedics examined her at the school. Her mother, Brandy Juliano, said she had a rash or burns on part of her body, a hoarse voice and was having difficulty breathing when she was taken to the hospital.

Juliano criticized the school for its handling of the incident, saying that when her daughter initially complained of breathing difficulties, she was not allowed to see the school nurse. It wasn't until Juliano, who had been in contact with her daughter via text messaging, arrived at the school that her daughter was able to see the nurse and was taken to the hospital.

"I don't think the school handled it appropriately," Juliano said.

Other parents expressed similar sentiment, noting that their children were not allowed to use their cell phones to text or call them while the school was on lockdown for 3 ½ hours.

The school went to full lockdown, with students kept inside classrooms, after a plastic soda bottle apparently exploded at 7:42 a.m.

Some parents were less critical of the situation, saying the district handled the situation as best they could, but they still expressed concern that their students could not contact them via cell phone.

School officials said they followed lockdown procedures, which include prohibiting the use of cell phones in the school. Parents were alerted of the situation via an automated phone message and mass e-mail about 9 a.m., the soonest district officials could get information out to parents, said district spokeswoman Kim Brehm."

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...epartment.html

I happen to be friends with Niksich's older daughter, funny seeing that name in there.

But to make a point, one of the details I heard NOT listed in the story was that it was a Works bomb (to explain, a bomb made out of a pop bottle and Works toilet bowl cleaner). That's a rumor and I have no idea if that's true, but the chemicals in that could seriously harm someone. I heard it got to a teacher who's currently pregnant. Wonderful

I did not leave early yesterday. Freshmen go to Central Campus and Sophomores-Seniors go to East, but my sister was at Central and it does cause concern, especially since she was close to the incident. The school's doing a decent job though I may disagree with some of the ways matters have been handled (I got out of school at 9:15 today when I feel we shouldn't have gone at all, and yesterday there was a failure to comment on the issue until late in the day).

And today, there was another bomb threat from an anonymous phone call.

Overall though, it's being taken care of quite well. What bothers me most is the sheer stupidity and ignorance of some students, especially since it's May and we only have two weeks left. I'm not the biggest fan of my school and can write a book as to why, but to take it to this level and risk the health of 1,000 Freshmen and overall 4,000 students combined is ridiculous, a level which I and many level-headed friends of mine would never take it to.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hmm...i'm not sure I'm getting the jist of this whole "works bomb" concept. Is it like the mentos/dr pepper thing where it just blows up and spews toilet bowl cleaner all over the place or is it an actual bomb with fire and explosive material that blow something up?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Damn man, I knew something had to be up when I saw you posting at this hour. Hope nobody suffers any ill effects from this.

As for waiting to the last minute, I have to agree. Last year when the tropical storm was bearing down on us, Flagler County saw fit not to announce that school would be out until around 1am that morning. It was lovely getting that automated message in my ear at that hour!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    hmm...i'm not sure I'm getting the jist of this whole "works bomb" concept. Is it like the mentos/dr pepper thing where it just blows up and spews toilet bowl cleaner all over the place or is it an actual bomb with fire and explosive material that blow something up?
    It spews a smoke containing the chemical of the Works, similar to a Mentos / Dr. Pepper thing. I'm sure that if you're not supposed to drink it, you shouldn't inhale the fumes from it, either. There's something when making it that involves aluminum foil but I'm not exactly sure how to do it, I do know that it makes the impact much more intense, in the case of this situation.

"I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Damn man, I knew something had to be up when I saw you posting at this hour. Hope nobody suffers any ill effects from this.

As for waiting to the last minute, I have to agree. Last year when the tropical storm was bearing down on us, Flagler County saw fit not to announce that school would be out until around 1am that morning. It was lovely getting that automated message in my ear at that hour!
    I'm hoping nobody suffers ill effects either. It really is a shame. Look, I know friends who've made these Works bombs before, but solely for the sake of a prank in open fields and such. When the event happened, I was with those friends all the way at East Campus, so naturally they weren't involved.

It's a position nobody can really blame the school for this time. Just some kids being dicks, is all. Hey, it got me out early today, sadly at a negative expense.

It's why us upper-classmen really do hate Freshmen. It has nothing to do with rank. It has to do with them feeling like they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, consequently at other people's expenses. You get to East Campus as a Sophomore and people show you who's boss. Trust me, I know

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    I'm hoping nobody suffers ill effects either. It really is a shame. Look, I know friends who've made these Works bombs before, but solely for the sake of a prank in open fields and such. When the event happened, I was with those friends all the way at East Campus, so naturally they weren't involved.

It's a position nobody can really blame the school for this time. Just some kids being dicks, is all. Hey, it got me out early today, sadly at a negative expense.
    Heck, I was a lot like Broke, in that I'd never heard of the thing before. What I do know is that The Works stuff can knock me out after just a few seconds when using it.

It's why us upper-classmen really do hate Freshmen. It has nothing to do with rank. It has to do with them feeling like they can do whatever they want, whenever they want, consequently at other people's expenses. You get to East Campus as a Sophomore and people show you who's boss. Trust me, I know
    Trust me, I know too. I remember the tradition in our high school when we were Seniors was to turn our class rings around on our finger and smack the Underclassmen in the back of the head at will.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Trust me, I know too. I remember the tradition in our high school when we were Seniors was to turn our class rings around on our finger and smack the Underclassmen in the back of the head at will.
    I've never heard of that one, but damnit, I like it!

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    I've never heard of that one, but damnit, I like it!
    I bet you never sold the freshmen reserved parking spots or passes to the mythical "pool on the roof", either, huh? Or the classic "secret codeword to get the 'special' lunch food"; I wonder what all the lunch ladies thought when the little freshmen kids were whispering "smegma" to them?

Man, these kids today...
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTheEdHead View Post
    I bet you never sold the freshmen reserved parking spots or passes to the mythical "pool on the roof", either, huh? Or the classic "secret codeword to get the 'special' lunch food"; I wonder what all the lunch ladies thought when the little freshmen kids were whispering "smegma" to them?

Man, these kids today...
    Oh God yes!!!!!

We started a rumor one year that went wild that Underclassmen were going to be allowed to start parking on the main campus on the first day back from Winter break (mind you, they were required to park about 1/2 miles away in the gym lot). We didn't start it until the Friday before school let out for the break, so there was no way for any of them to confirm it though. That first morning back, there are Underclassmen rushing to get to their cars when they see tow trucks coming in and backing up to their cars when the staff started checking for Senior parking stickers.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i never really understood the whole "upperclassmen/lowerclassmen" thing. I guess it's all fun and hazing and ritual and whatnot, but eh...just never got into it. I never made fun of freshmen just because they were freshmen. There were always more substantial reasons to make fun of people.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

i never really understood the whole "upperclassmen/lowerclassmen" thing. I guess it's all fun and hazing and ritual and whatnot, but eh...just never got into it. I never made fun of freshmen just because they were freshmen. There were always more substantial reasons to make fun of people.

Yeah, we in the rocker/stoner group gave them plenty of grief, but not near as much as the jockstrap set did.

Still, I was never against some Sophomore and occasional Freshman tail.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.19.15 @ 04:34 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One of my favorite Dennis Miller lines - when he was actually funny and not the grouchy old prick he is now - was:

"I don't understand racism. Why hate someone because of their race or religion when, if you just take the time to get to know them, there's probably a million better reasons to dislike them?"
    http://www.myspace.com/pennydreadfulnj

“…and that’s when I learned that waterskiing and Quaaludes do not mix.”

- Dewey Cox

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yeah, we in the rocker/stoner group gave them plenty of grief, but not near as much as the jockstrap set did.

Still, I was never against some Sophomore and occasional Freshman tail.
    yeah I wasn't part of the whole jock scene...those guys were all closet homos with way too much fake testosterone macho bullshit. Bunch of losers. Except for one guy, Ceasar...that guy was awesome. He was an incredible athlete, smart as can be and just above all the petty high school crap. I often wonder whatever happened to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis5150 View Post
    One of my favorite Dennis Miller lines - when he was actually funny and not the grouchy old prick he is now - was:

"I don't understand racism. Why hate someone because of their race or religion when, if you just take the time to get to know them, there's probably a million better reasons to dislike them?"
    Yep. Exactly.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You want to really start something, mix brake fluid & Shock pool cleaner.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    You want to really start something, mix brake fluid & Shock pool cleaner.
    careful now...the feds are going to shut us down thinking we're some kind of anti-government anarchist site sharing information on how to build the next bomb to blow up some government building!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.