Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default 'Titanic' Stars Hand Over Cash to Ship's Last Survivor

Yes, it's an great jesture, BUT, I would think between the two of them, they could have possibly have done more... No??? NOT that they had to, to begin with but....

Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio have proved that their generosity is of titanic proportions -- after donating $30,000 to help the last remaining survivor of the doomed ship.

The pair, who starred as tragic lovers in the 1997 blockbuster Titanic, along with the movie's director James Cameron, handed over the cash to ensure 98-year-old Millvina Dean can pay her nursing home fees, reports Access Hollywood.

Dean was the ship's youngest passenger at nine months old when the Titanic hit an iceberg and sank en route to New York in 1912. She is the ship's only living survivor.

Photographer Don Mullan made an appeal to help raise money for Dean in the Sunday edition of the Irish Independent newspaper, and also reached out to Winslet, DiCaprio and Cameron in a bid to raise awareness.

Mullan has already set up an exhibition to raise funds.

He explains to the publication, "I figured that if the edition sold out, it would secure Millvina for a full year. My plan, however, was to double the impact and thereby secure her for two years.

"I decided, therefore, at the opening of the exhibition, to publicly challenge James Cameron, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, 20th Century Fox and Celine to match me dollar for dollar."

According to reports, Mullan is still waiting to be contacted by Celine Dion, who won an Oscar for the movie's theme song "My Heart Will Go On. "
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

5150, Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance The Night Away, Dreams
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 09:45 PM
    Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts

$30,000 between the two of them probably would have less impact on their financial well being than me handing a homeless guy $5.

Whoop-de-freaking-doo!!!
    "Viking - last to sleep, first to rise, last to leave, that's how the Nords of old rocked the house." ~ timmac in the 'Texas Linkers' thread talking about yours truly. :-)

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    Yes, it's an great jesture, BUT, I would think between the two of them, they could have possibly have done more... No??? NOT that they had to, to begin with but....

"I decided, therefore, at the opening of the exhibition, to publicly challenge James Cameron, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet, 20th Century Fox and Celine to match me dollar for dollar."

According to reports, Mullan is still waiting to be contacted by Celine Dion, who won an Oscar for the movie's theme song "My Heart Will Go On. "
    I thought that too when I was reading it, about they could have done more, until I saw the above blurb at the bottom about matching dollar for dollar.
    Still...James Cameron could have bought the lady an estate with live-in medical care and not seen a dent in his account
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K. 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Feels So Good (deal with it...
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:52 AM
    Liked 426 Times in 228 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

But to this woman $30000 is probably like receiving a million. She is 98 living in a nursing home. Even if they offered to buy her some mansion in the country the odds of her wanting to move are probably slim to none. She is nearing the end of her life and she probably is just happy to not be kicked onto the streets. Besides, Wednesday euchre night is harder to put together outside of the nursing home.
    Signature not currently available. You aren't missing much.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

30,000 dollars may not make a dent in their pocketbooks but why should they make a dent if they don't have to? 30,000 is going to bankroll this woman for the rest of her life. They stepped up and matched the guy's donation and she's fine. Sounds like a perfectly nice gesture.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:46 PM
    Liked 795 Times in 431 Posts

Premium Member

I got an idea. Let's operate on the premise that people own their own assets, and that whenever they voluntarily surrender it for the good of someone else, that is a good thing. This will free us of the burden of being sanctimonious snits who find ways to criticize even nice things that people do, as well as the trouble of performing whatever mysterious calculus allows us to arrive at each person's "correct" or "suitable" donation.

TK

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    I got an idea. Let's operate on the premise that people own their own assets, and that whenever they voluntarily surrender it for the good of someone else, that is a good thing. This will free us of the burden of being sanctimonious snits who find ways to criticize even nice things that people do, as well as the trouble of performing whatever mysterious calculus allows us to arrive at each person's "correct" or "suitable" donation.

TK

Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

Sounds like a nice gesture. That is what she needed, that is what they gave her.
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

TK
    Exactly. Thank you.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

TK
    Thank you.

I was thinking the same thing when I read the story and some of the comments but you said it better than I would have.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Well done to them.

But I do question this idea of challenging the stars to match him dollar for dollar. Why should they? Because they made a film about a boat that she happened to be on when she was a baby? If they had not responded, would they have been bad? Or selfish? Or even worse, would they have been Celine Dion?

It's not about the money.

So many stories about charities, organisations and individuals crying out for time or help or financial assistance or public endorsement, I would not want to be in the public eye these days.

Bah, humbug.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    Well done to them.

But I do question this idea of challenging the stars to match him dollar for dollar. Why should they? Because they made a film about a boat that she happened to be on when she was a baby? If they had not responded, would they have been bad? Or selfish? Or even worse, would they have been Celine Dion?

It's not about the money.

So many stories about charities, organisations and individuals crying out for time or help or financial assistance or public endorsement, I would not want to be in the public eye these days.

Bah, humbug.
    exactly...making such a public plea to them puts them in a shitty shitty spot. They have to give the money or their assholes but because they didn't empty to coffers for this old bat they don't even know, they're still assholes.

I'm a big fan of Charles Barkley's outlook on charity. When he was wrapping up his career playing in Houston, some jackoff at the Houston Chronicle (I think, might have been from another outlet) said "hey charles, how come we never hear about you spending money on charitable causes?" Barkley says, "because it's none of your damn business what I do with my money."

For the record, Barkley has pretty much bank rolled his home town...but he did it the right way: quietly and with humility.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    exactly...making such a public plea to them puts them in a shitty shitty spot. They have to give the money or their assholes but because they didn't empty to coffers for this old bat they don't even know, they're still assholes.

I'm a big fan of Charles Barkley's outlook on charity. When he was wrapping up his career playing in Houston, some jackoff at the Houston Chronicle (I think, might have been from another outlet) said "hey charles, how come we never hear about you spending money on charitable causes?" Barkley says, "because it's none of your damn business what I do with my money."

For the record, Barkley has pretty much bank rolled his home town...but he did it the right way: quietly and with humility.

Yep, Dale Earnhardt was just such a character. A Church in Kannapolis was having a bake sale to raise funds to repave the parking lot. Dale Earnhardt paid for the whole deal under the stipulation that no one knows who paid for it or, "I'll come back here and bulldoze the whole thing."
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:17 AM
    Liked 84 Times in 35 Posts

TK
    Excellent post!!!
    ((Just My Two Cents))
    And thats about what its worth.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being,5150,WhenIt'sLove
    Last Online

08.08.17 @ 07:44 PM
    Liked 18 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

TK

Meet me in Cabo!