All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Default Cool Second-Hand Dave Story

Just a bit of a primer before the story: I've been around here for 7 years and have never posted claiming to be an insider or perpetuated any rumors regarding the internal dealings within Van Halen. The story that I am about to tell is not intended to open up a line of questioning where I have any access to the band or anything beyond this simple, not-earth shattering, yet very cool, story that is entirely serendipitous. Onwards...

A friend of mine, who is a professional musician, does a lot of voice over work and was recently hired to do crowd voice over work for the new VH Guitar Hero Game. During his sessions, Dave did a couple of days worth of work and my friend was able to interact with him on a regular basis. My friend was never really a VH fan per se, so his comments were really interesting. He said that Dave was just about the nicest guy ever--far different from the temperamental-diva baggage that he's been known for. On more that one occasion, Dave asked about my friend's family and then on subsequent interactions he remembered details of their conversation and asked other questions as if he was genuinely interested. He seemed down to earth and, (gulp) believe it or not, kind of humble.

Also, another funny and cool story for the session that I thought was killer. They hooked Dave up with the full-body motion suits like the ones they do for athletes to get their real swings for MLB 200x, or real passing motion on Madden, etc. They did this so they could capture Dave doing his legendary split off the drum riser. Dave does the first one (it was totally sweet from everyone's perspective in the crowd) and everyone in the studio is laughing and enjoying the show. Apparently Dave didn't quite like his first performance and said, "I can do better than that..." He gets back up there and nails it again, everyone applauds and Dave is smiling ear-to-ear, giving people high-fives and slapping guys on the back.

Anyway, my friend's very short time with Dave was super cool and one he'll never forget.

-------

No one in the studio asked him, nor did Dave talk about anything regarding the current state of VH, so don't ask me . My guess is as good, if not worse, than anyone else's.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Interesting story, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by VanHalenRules; 05.11.09 at 01:31 PM.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Reckless Fable View Post
    Just a bit of a primer before the story: I've been around here for 7 years and have never posted claiming to be an insider or perpetuated any rumors regarding the internal dealings within Van Halen. The story that I am about to tell is not intended to open up a line of questioning where I have any access to the band or anything beyond this simple, not-earth shattering, yet very cool, story that is entirely serendipitous. Onwards...

A friend of mine, who is a professional musician, does a lot of voice over work and was recently hired to do crowd voice over work for the new VH Guitar Hero Game. During his sessions, Dave did a couple of days worth of work and my friend was able to interact with him on a regular basis. My friend was never really a VH fan per se, so his comments were really interesting. He said that Dave was just about the nicest guy ever--far different from the temperamental-diva baggage that he's been known for. On more that one occasion, Dave asked about my friend's family and then on subsequent interactions he remembered details of their conversation and asked other questions as if he was genuinely interested. He seemed down to earth and, (gulp) believe it or not, kind of humble.

Also, another funny and cool story for the session that I thought was killer. They hooked Dave up with the full-body motion suits like the ones they do for athletes to get their real swings for MLB 200x, or real passing motion on Madden, etc. They did this so they could capture Dave doing his legendary split off the drum riser. Dave does the first one (it was totally sweet from everyone's perspective in the crowd) and everyone in the studio is laughing and enjoying the show. Apparently Dave didn't quite like his first performance and said, "I can do better than that..." He gets back up there and nails it again, everyone applauds and Dave is smiling ear-to-ear, giving people high-fives and slapping guys on the back.

Anyway, my friend's very short time with Dave was super cool and one he'll never forget.

-------

No one in the studio asked him, nor did Dave talk about anything regarding the current state of VH, so don't ask me . My guess is as good, if not worse, than anyone else's.
    Very cool to post that. We've heard he's mellowed quite a bit too through the grapevine. Not at all the over the top self rightous stuff he's been known for. Great to hear he's still more humble from a bit of a closer source. Gives us a bit of hope.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 05.11.09 at 01:23 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Nicely told. Thanks for sharing something so positive and endearing.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

awesome...thanks for sharing that!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:49 PM
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

cool story, thanks for sharing
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

"Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

09.16.17 @ 05:43 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts

Dave did some mo-cap, do you know if Ed did any?

Either way, cool story, thanks for posting!

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:18 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Cool story. Not to read too much into it, but it seems as though everything is at least steady in VH land. I wonder if they are going to do the same with Eddie, wire him up to get his scissors kick for the game....how are they handling the bass player on the game? Ooops! Are they just going to put a generic character playing the bass or would they have the balls to put Wolfie in as the bass player? It will probably be a fun game though.

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:32 AM
    Liked 2,075 Times in 672 Posts

Cool story! Thanks for sharing...
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:25 AM
    Liked 6,826 Times in 3,568 Posts

Premium Member

oops!
    Last edited by Number 47; 05.11.09 at 03:24 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.12.16 @ 10:22 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Glad to hear Dave is a cool dude.

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs, BOBW...
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:20 PM
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts

Very cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

Cool story!

Can't wait to see VH Guitar Hero!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Reckless Fable- I'm sure you must have more info. Why are you holding out on us? Be cool man. PM me. Are you just power tripping here? Just a little bit more man, and we'll all be satisfied. Tell Dave we said thanks for all of his music. Do you have his phone number? Address? What are the plans for Van Halen Music? Did you say Dweezil Zappa was there too? Is he going to overdub some of Ed's recording mistakes? That's awesome bro, thanks for sharing.

You all heard it here first. Reckless Fable said Dave's running the show and contracting Dweezil for the upcoming tour with a new single to be released right here on vhlinks.com.

...sorry, your disclaimer made me nostalgic to the olden days and I had to provide a sick parody of what this thread would have done in an hour and a half in 2001.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    Reckless Fable- I'm sure you must have more info. Why are you holding out on us? Be cool man. PM me. Are you just power tripping here? Just a little bit more man, and we'll all be satisfied. Tell Dave we said thanks for all of his music. Do you have his phone number? Address? What are the plans for Van Halen Music? Did you say Dweezil Zappa was there too? Is he going to overdub some of Ed's recording mistakes? That's awesome bro, thanks for sharing.

You all heard it here first. Reckless Fable said Dave's running the show and contracting Dweezil for the upcoming tour with a new single to be released right here on vhlinks.com.

...sorry, your disclaimer made me nostalgic to the olden days and I had to provide a sick parody of what this thread would have done in an hour and a half in 2001.
    Ok! Ok! I give! I give! I'll tell you! Dave came out of the closet and told everyone that he was hoping that VH would do a gay version of GH covering Wham! songs for version 2.

That's all I know and all I'm telling you, I swear!

:P