Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Hawaii Lawmakers Pass Bill to Create 'Islam Day'

Hawaii's state Senate overwhelmingly approved a bill Wednesday to celebrate "Islam Day" -- over the objections of a few lawmakers who said they didn't want to honor a religion connected to Sept. 11, 2001.

HONOLULU -- Hawaii's state Senate overwhelmingly approved a bill Wednesday to celebrate "Islam Day" -- over the objections of a few lawmakers who said they didn't want to honor a religion connected to Sept. 11, 2001.

The Senate's two Republicans argued that a minority of Islamic extremists have killed many innocents in terrorist attacks.

"I recall radical Islamists around the world cheering the horrors of 9/11. That is the day all civilized people of all religions should remember," said Republican Sen. Fred Hemmings to the applause of more than 100 people gathered in the Senate to oppose a separate issue -- same-sex civil unions.

The resolution to proclaim Sept. 24, 2009, as Islam Day passed the Senate on a 22-3 vote. It had previously passed the House and now goes to Republican Gov. Linda Lingle.

The bill seeks to recognize "the rich religious, scientific, cultural and artistic contributions" that Islam and the Islamic world have made. It does not call for any spending or organized celebration of Islam Day.

"We are a state of tolerance. We understand that people have different beliefs," said Sen. Will Espero, a Democrat. "We may not all agree on every single item and issue out there, but to say and highlight the negativity of the Islamic people is an insult to the majority" of believers "who are good law-abiding citizens of the world."

But Republican Sen. Sam Slom argued that the United States has become too sympathetic toward Islamic extremists.

"I don't think there's any country in the history of the world that has been more tolerant than the United States of America, and because of that tolerance, we've looked the other way a lot of times, and many thousands of our citizens have been killed by terrorists," said Slom, a Republican.

The lone Democrat voting against the bill opposed it on church-state separation fears.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Right, but Usama Obama won't recognize The National Day of Prayer. Tell me he's not a closet Muslim.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Though I don't see this as some example of the erosion of our national identity or whatever and I don't see this as Islam encroaching upon our society, I DO see this as more of the same old tired pandering "outreach" crap that gives politicians nothing more than a chance to pat themselves on the back for being so "compassionate" and "tolerant."

What the hell do we need an "Islam Day?"

But then again, we have so many other days, why the hell not...but since we're rolling with it, I'd like a Jew Day, a Zoorastrian Day, a Hindu Day, and a Spaghetti Monster Day.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    Though I don't see this as some example of the erosion of our national identity or whatever and I don't see this as Islam encroaching upon our society, I DO see this as more of the same old tired pandering "outreach" crap that gives politicians nothing more than a chance to pat themselves on the back for being so "compassionate" and "tolerant."

What the hell do we need an "Islam Day?"

But then again, we have so many other days, why the hell not...but since we're rolling with it, I'd like a Jew Day, a Zoorastrian Day, a Hindu Day, and a Spaghetti Monster Day.
    You forgot Cookie Monster Day.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Last Online

12.01.17 @ 09:52 AM
    Liked 33 Times in 27 Posts

We have xmas, easter, palm sunday, holy thursday, good friday, and many other christian style holidays. And like broken said, there's many other ethnic holiday's that are at least recognized here. Personally, I think legislators passing any sort of bill that pertains to any kind of religion is bullshit. but that's me.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    Right, but Usama Obama won't recognize The National Day of Prayer. Tell me he's not a closet Muslim.
    He's not a closet Muslim. And even if he were, so what.

Every major religion in the world (except possibly Buddhism) has been tagged as "responsible" for some kind of horrific crime against humanity based solely on someone's twisted interpretation. If you wanna hate Muslims, fine. But at least ask yourself why you hate it and if that reason truly can't be applied to another religion.

Should I hate all Catholics simply for the acts committed against children by a number of their priests?
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by gabby gabbster View Post
    We have xmas, easter, palm sunday, holy thursday, good friday, and many other christian style holidays. And like broken said, there's many other ethnic holiday's that are at least recognized here. Personally, I think legislators passing any sort of bill that pertains to any kind of religion is bullshit. but that's me.

LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

If any lawmakers tried to make a "Christian Day" in today's time, you'd see the ACLU, UN, and everybody and their dog object because it violates church and state.

Those holidays have been holidays for years, and are over commercialized anyway. To start a holiday just for the sake of one religion? That's BS. (Doesn't matter which religion is it.)
    Your favorite band sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    didn't want to honor a religion connected to Sept. 11, 2001.
    Muslim Terrorist
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    He's not a closet Muslim. And even if he were, so what.

Every major religion in the world (except possibly Buddhism) has been tagged as "responsible" for some kind of horrific crime against humanity based solely on someone's twisted interpretation. If you wanna hate Muslims, fine. But at least ask yourself why you hate it and if that reason truly can't be applied to another religion.

Should I hate all Catholics simply for the acts committed against children by a number of their priests?
    I never said I hate Muslims, just wondering about our pres. Even at a campaign stop when he was running he supposedly misspoke when he said "my muslim faith" and then quickly corrected himself. Who the fuck makes that mistake. If he is a muslim it is fine with me, I could personally give a fuck, just come out and admit it already.
    I just wondered why he would opt to stop recognizing the national day of prayer. Just because a Christian President started it doesn't mean it is a christian day. It is a recognized day of prayer for all religions. Guess he didn't want to be seen wearing his skull cap kneeling on a rug facing Mecca.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

Donor

I never said I hate Muslims, just wondering about our pres. Even at a campaign stop when he was running he supposedly misspoke when he said "my muslim faith" and then quickly corrected himself. Who the fuck makes that mistake. If he is a muslim it is fine with me, I could personally give a fuck, just come out and admit it already.
    I just wondered why he would opt to stop recognizing the national day of prayer. Just because a Christian President started it doesn't mean it is a christian day. It is a recognized day of prayer for all religions. Guess he didn't want to be seen wearing his skull cap kneeling on a rug facing Mecca.
    Maybe he decided that the separation of church and state should be separate.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by LowLifeFlatHeadScum View Post
    Maybe he decided that the separation of church and state should be separate.
    Well then I guess it is time to stop the Easter Egg hunts for that Christian Holiday known as Easter, on the White House lawn as well as that long standing tradition of having a White House Christmas tree. Oh yeah, no Kwanzaa bullshit either.

Last Online

08.16.15 @ 10:29 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well then I guess it is time to stop the Easter Egg hunts for that Christian Holiday known as Easter, on the White House lawn as well as that long standing tradition of having a White House Christmas tree. Oh yeah, no Kwanzaa bullshit either.
    What makes you think that egg hunts and decorated trees are inherent to Christianity?

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

is there a bunch of state sponsored kwanzaa bullshit where you live?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    is there a bunch of state sponsored kwanzaa bullshit where you live?
    Where the fuck did Kwanza come from anyway? I certainly don't remember hearing about it in the 70's, but by the 80's it was everywhere!
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.