Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Top Of The World
    Last Online

01.31.15 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Is the Korean Wolf made of basswood?

I've had USA and now a Korean made Wolf. The USA's sound so much better. Is it because the body on the Korean isn't Basswood?

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lieu910 View Post
    I've had USA and now a Korean made Wolf. The USA's sound so much better. Is it because the body on the Korean isn't Basswood?
    It's still basswood. I've noticed the EXPs are heavier, though; so it is in all likelihood cheaper wood (not as dried, rejected for other guitar because of general heft, etc.).

The licensed Floyd Rose on the EXP is also very inferior to the USA version, so it too is probably sucking some tone away.

Quality control on the EXPs was hit and miss. As easily as you could get a good one you could also get a bad one. To this day I'm very disappointed Peavey and Ed went ahead with the decision to manufacture them. It completely broke from the initial mission they'd laid out when they started the Wolfgang line: no compromise in parts or craftsmanship throughout the line.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts

I've noticed the EXP sounds a little muddy next to the US Special. The USA has more clairity and and crispness and also has a nice clean sound when volume is rolled back. The EXP still sounds muddy at 3-4. The pickups are the same from what I've heard, but the other electronics like the volume pot and selector switch and Floyd are cheaper parts. Plus neck wood (feels like the USA is a little harder maple) could affect the sound. Plus would the quilt laminate on the EXP deaden the tone? I've wondered if changing out the pot and switch would have any affect on "cleaning up" the sound. But it isn't bad enough for me to bother with it.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    I've noticed the EXP sounds a little muddy next to the US Special. The USA has more clairity and and crispness and also has a nice clean sound when volume is rolled back. The EXP still sounds muddy at 3-4. The pickups are the same from what I've heard, but the other electronics like the volume pot and selector switch and Floyd are cheaper parts. Plus neck wood (feels like the USA is a little harder maple) could affect the sound. Plus would the quilt laminate on the EXP deaden the tone? I've wondered if changing out the pot and switch would have any affect on "cleaning up" the sound. But it isn't bad enough for me to bother with it.
    I'm certain putting a better pot in there would help.