Register
    Top Of The World Loss of Bowel Control's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Default Frankie pre paint?

Anybody believe this is the Frankie before it was even painted black? Cool set of pix though.

http://www.musikfoto.com/rockpics.ph...ag=Van%20Halen

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Loss of Bowel Control View Post
    Anybody believe this is the Frankie before it was even painted black? Cool set of pix though.

http://www.musikfoto.com/rockpics.ph...ag=Van%20Halen
    I don't think so..but i could be wrong. the franky was made with parts Ed got from a Charvel Bin. Ed did have a few strats in the early days. that one looks more like a mid 60's strat on wich he added a humbucker.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This was the Strat that the other guys in the band told him sounded like hell. They said it was too thin sounding, but Ed wanted the Fender trem. By several accounts, this is the strat that prompted him to start screwing around with guitars more. I believe he tried a few things on this one, but then went with to Lynn Elsworth/Charvel. Alot of people have been calling Ed into question over this guitar, because it does have one paint chip which is very close to one on the frankie around the treble side horn, but closer inspection reveals it's not the same.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

This sunburst guitar is a Fender Stratocaster, not the "pre-stripe" Franky.

This, on the other hand, may very well be the "Shark" prior to it's "transformation"...
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    This sunburst guitar is a Fender Stratocaster, not the "pre-stripe" Franky.

This, on the other hand, may very well be the "Shark" prior to it's "transformation"...
    Yeah, I remember someone posted this picture a while ago, and some people were swearing that it had to be after 1984, because of Edís haircut. Ed is such an innovator, not only with guitar, but he had an 80ís hair do in the late 70ís!

Eruption
    Last Online

Yeah, I remember someone posted this picture a while ago, and some people were swearing that it had to be after 1984, because of Edís haircut. Ed is such an innovator, not only with guitar, but he had an 80ís hair do in the late 70ís!
    Oh, that crazy Eddie, he's just so cuttin' edge!
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.18.17 @ 01:14 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I thought that was the Frankie too because of the scratch on the bottom of the lower horn. Look at the roundover on the edges though... it's more Strat 1/2 than Charvel 3/8".
    Divebomb, Inc.
    Authorized Floyd Rose Dealer
    Authorized Seymour Duncan Dealer
    Armor Piercing Guitars, Parts, and Accessories
    LOOKING FOR PARTS FROM ALLPARTS? I HAVE THEIR ENTIRE CATALOG AT 10-15% OFF!!! sales@divebombinc.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

What do you guys think about the black strat? There are a couple of pictures at the whiskey, one where Ed's wearing sunglasses upside down. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

"Robin L" at Metroamps says it's not the Frankie, but he/she also says the 5150 is made of basswood. So who knows.

Why do we obsess about these things?

Eruption
    Last Online

What do you guys think about the black strat? There are a couple of pictures at the whiskey, one where Ed's wearing sunglasses upside down. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
    IMO, jury's still out on that one... some will swear on their mother that it is the Franky just prior to being striped up... others laugh uncontrollably and say it's simply a Stratocaster...

"Robin L" at Metroamps says it's not the Frankie,.
    If I recall correctly, he said it was a Stratocaster..., but then again, the jury's still out on him as well, right? Rudy Leiren? Who knows? The guy's got some interesting info and insight, though, you can't deny that.

but he/she also says the 5150 is made of basswood. So who knows.
    I'm not even going to touch that one... oh no, I 'm not! I mean, ultimately, does it really matter if the "5150" was made out of basswood or swamp ash or alder? Will it change our lives forever if we finally know for sure if the "Franky " was northern ash or swamp ash? Will any of us sleep better if it's finally revealed that the "Shark" was actually Japanese sen instead of korina? Will you die happy if you know that the Charvel VHII was made out of ash instead of mahogany?!!!... well, sadly, the answer is yes (despite the fact that NONE of that information will ever make us play or sound like Ed!).

Why do we obsess about these things?
    Yes, why do we? Why do we spend endless hours pontificating, speculating and theorizing on Ed's guitars and gear from 30+ years ago?!!
    Is it some form of collective madness? Is it individual lunacy? Is it the reason why Al-Qaeda hates us so much? It's fun though, that's all I know!
    Last edited by jimi11580; 05.10.09 at 06:01 AM.
    WGAF?!!

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yep.
    You summed it up.
    Its fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

The only thing I would say regarding the 5150 being made of basswood, is I just can't see it personally given that particular time frame. The only manufacture (I mean on a major pro endorsed scale) that used basswood around that time period was Ibanez, (most budget wood at that time was still plywood. Kramer employed it heavily, as did Fender for their Squier line.) and some other manufactures utterly ridiculed them for it, saying it was a cheap wood for making kids toy blocks, not guitars. Well look at what we have today. It's now comanding higher prices on the guitar parts marketplace too.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    The only thing I would say regarding the 5150 being made of basswood, is I just can't see it personally given that particular time frame. The only manufacture (I mean on a major pro endorsed scale) that used basswood around that time period was Ibanez, (most budget wood at that time was still plywood. Kramer employed it heavily, as did Fender for their Squier line.) and some other manufactures utterly ridiculed them for it, saying it was a cheap wood for making kids toy blocks, not guitars. Well look at what we have today. It's now comanding higher prices on the guitar parts marketplace too.
    I'm certainly not saying that the "5150" was made of basswood, but just keep this in mind within the context of that exact time frame:
    Grover Jackson made three Charvel strats for Allan Holdsworth, one of them (the red one, which sounded amazing!) was made of basswood! Remember also that, at this time, Ed was a huge fan of Allan, he was hanging around with him, playing onstage with him, praising him in guitar magazines and ultimately, he even convinced Warner Brothers to sign him- resulting in the "Roads Games" album.
    It's really not that far-fetched to think that Allan's use and success with basswood might have prompted Ed to try it out as well! I'm just sayin'...
    Last edited by jimi11580; 05.12.09 at 04:29 AM.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    I'm certainly not saying that the "5150" was made of basswood, but just keep this in mind within the context of that exact time frame:
    Grover Jackson made three Charvel strats for Allan Holdsworth, one of them (the red one, which sounded amazing!) was made of basswood! Remember also that, at this time, Ed was a huge fan of Allan, he was hanging around with him, playing onstage with him, praising him in guitar magazines and ultimately, he even convinced Warner Brothers to sign him- resulting in the "Roads Games" album.
    It's really not that far-fetched to think that Allan's use and success with basswood might have prompted Ed to try it out as well! I'm just sayin'...
    I hear ya Jimi. I had a chat with a guy last night on MAF and we were discussing basswood and it's infancy in the industry. When I mentioned the 5150, and weather it's basswood or not is just subjective. I think the grain tells differently now, but you're right about Holdsworth. i'd forgotten about that. He did have a model or two didn't he? It's come a hell of a long way hasn't it? My very first guitar was a Kramer strat type,(can't remember which model....they had a few over the years) made of plywood. Weighed a ton, but had a good maple neck. People wanted a real solid body, Well then the next "budget wood" was basswood. I remember when I'd go shopping for guitars around '88 on to about '90, retailers would say stuff like, "it's not a bad guitar parts wise, but it's made of that basswood crap" Or if I'd go scoping bodies, I'd say to the guy "whatcha got?" He'd go "Nothin' left but some basswood strats". Then with guys like Joe, Steve, and of course Ed , endorsing basswood models it all changed. I built a basswood guitar in my woodshop,and used that Kramer Beak neck, and was quite taken with the sound. I now own four guitars made of basswood, and aside from them showing every little ding, are still fantastic guitars.