Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Eddie's sponsorship!..

ok..was talking gear with friends yesturday while working on my franky, and someone brought up a realy good point. When Ed let Peavey, why on earth did'nt he approached Marshall instead of Fender for a Signature amp!...it would have made a KILLER. He's one of the players that made the Plexi and marshall famouns. he could have easily contacted Marshall to remake a Plexi to his "image" basicaly.

i'm pretty sure he would have sold a LOT more Marshall stack as a sig model then he had Fender ones. Some how Fender will never ring "Van Halen" to my ears. but get a Marshall sig amp, and i'll start getting GAS i'm pretty sure!

Can you imagine if they're done a 3500$ Frankenstrat as well?...it's not impossible, if builders like us can do it, imagine a shop like fender or Charvel, they could have pumped out those easily, and he would have killed the so called small builder market realy. in the end, he'de have made a LOT more $$$ then selling just 300 at the ridiculous 25 000$ price.

what do you think?

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

Yes, but it's not really marketed as a "Fender" amp. Just an "EVH" brand amp, which is owned by the Fender corp. I don't think Ed want's to share his name with anyone on products. It can only say "EVH" in it. Be it the Wolfgang or 5150 or shoes or straps etc.etc. The guy is strictly about himself anymore.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjk View Post
    Yes, but it's not really marketed as a "Fender" amp. Just an "EVH" brand amp, which is owned by the Fender corp. I don't think Ed want's to share his name with anyone on products. It can only say "EVH" in it. Be it the Wolfgang or 5150 or shoes or straps etc.etc. The guy is strictly about himself anymore.
    someone willing to pay 3500$ for a amp will know it's a fender amp, made in mexico at that, not that there ain't nothing wrong with that, but this new amp ain't the holygrail realy.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

I read that Marshall was approached and they declined to deal with Eddie because he was a mess at the time and he is a major pain in the ass to work with.

I agree that a Marshall Reissue of the famous EVH amp would have been great and would sell.

However, his 5150 III with Fender is one of the best amps out today.

I agree with the Frankie because $25k for those guitars was the rip off of the century. We all know it doesnt cost 25k to make that guitar and it certainly doesnt play like 25k....

I think a $2,500 frankie would be the optimal price point.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    However, his 5150 III with Fender is one of the best amps out today.
    now THAT is a quote to start a real debate... i've heard more bad things about this amp then good things so far...not talking sound wise, but build wise.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I would guaruntee its money.
    Besides. Marshall dont need no Eddie anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    now THAT is a quote to start a real debate... i've heard more bad things about this amp then good things so far...not talking sound wise, but build wise.
    Marshall is one of the shitiest built amps i've ever played through. Everyone has an off day.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Marshall is one of the shitiest built amps i've ever played through. Everyone has an off day.
    LOL...realy!..most musicians only swore by them..well, at least the earlier stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

LOL...realy!..most musicians only swore by them..well, at least the earlier stuff.
    I've got a Soldano SLO100 that my parents bought me for graduation and besides my 5150 II its the best built, sounding, well rounded amp i've ever seen aside from a Bassman.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

marshall's current line up has some of the most spotty build consistency and overal quality control in the business. The same can not be said about Fender amplification.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    marshall's current line up has some of the most spotty build consistency and overal quality control in the business. The same can not be said about Fender amplification.
    actually..that's what been said about those new fender..read some bias reviews and you'll see.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

actually..that's what been said about those new fender..read some bias reviews and you'll see.
    haven't read or heard anything bad about them. I have several close friends who work in various aspects of the instrument retail industry throughout the country and no one has had anything but wonderful things to say about the amp.

i myself haven't even played one, or even heard one in person, but i'm just relaying what I hear.

This is pretty consistent with fender's gear, and their mexican amps are no different than their US amps in terms of consistent quality control and overal build quality.

My experiences with marshall over the past 10-12 years has been quite the opposite. The general sentiment among the people I know and have worked with is that you never know what you're going to get from them until you open the box...cracked chassis, stripped screws, rips in the tolex, fuses that blow at first plug in, loose speakers. These are all things I myself have personally observed on multiple occasions. Hell, last year I was in a music store shopping for an amp and we had to open all three marshall combos they had in the back to find one that didn't have something wrong with it...no joke.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I've got a Soldano SLO100 that my parents bought me for graduation and besides my 5150 II its the best built, sounding, well rounded amp i've ever seen aside from a Bassman.
    An SLO is in a different league than most amps... especially build quality wise, it blows even the Peaveys away.

Favorite VH Album

f.u.c.k. and Balance
    Last Online

04.02.10 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    I read that Marshall was approached and they declined to deal with Eddie because he was a mess at the time and he is a major pain in the ass to work with.
    your answer is correct. i was told the same thing. i believe fender was even getting tired of working with him during the proto stages of both the amp and guitars.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

i have actually asked Jim Marshall the question at music live a few years ago (u.k. music show along the lines of namm, just smaller) and his answer was this...
    "we couldn't work with eddie van halen, they guy is a pain in the arse, we have had discusions in the past"
    this conversation was about 10yrs ago, i have no idea if they were approached regarding the 5150III but my guess is that even if they were it would have to say Marshall on the front and not EVH.

i would also like to go on the record and say that Jim marshall himself is a total and utter arsehole...but thats another story.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!