Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Landlords Beware: There Are Some Really Crummy Tenants Out There

Oddly enough, I was just talking to VHR about this very subject this morning. I'm certain that Daisy can relate to this, and it serves as a cautionary tale for all landlords out there.

For the first time in months, it is quite once again in our little neighborhood.

The property behind me is owned by a fellow named Mike. He rents the property, normally to fellows in his employ. Around the beginning of the year, my good friend John (who lived at the property) moved back to Michigan. He never felt comfortable here in the land of nod, and arranged to go back to his old job. His departure put a strain rent-wise on the other two fellows living there, so one by one they found new residences at a cheaper rate.

This put Mike in a bind, so he rented the place to a "family" of a mother, her daughter and the daughter's two children. Immediately, things in the neighborhood changed. For one, each evening the mom and daughter would get into loud, crockery-shattering fights. The backyard pool turned into an unkempt lagoon, falling below the recommended water level, as attested to by the sounds coming from the pool filter. The yard grew to roughly 2 feet tall, and garbage started to pile up at the side of the house. (Our city requires the use of "official" garbage bags, purchased at a grocery store to pay for the pick up service. No garbage will be taken away if not in these bags. You get the picture.) Also, a variety of cars came and went on a regular basis, no two the same over any consecutive days. Even stranger, no one occupied the house overnight, yet floodlights remained lit all around the home, 24 hours a day.

Last evening, in addition to the normal exchanges taking place in loud Ebonics flavored speech, one could also hear the sounds of the house being trashed. (I called the police, yet either the family had left by then or had a terrific story to convince the cops to leave.) There apparently was a reason for this. My friend Mike had taken these "people" to court for non-payment of rent. That's right, not a cent in the 3-4 months they'd lived there. (They were evicted this morning, to which the entire neighborhood let out a hearty sigh of relief. ) The noises I heard were the family trashing the place one last time, and stealing the washer and dryer out of the garage.

Mike came by this afternoon to survey his property, and asked me to join him. He and I were completely astounded by what we discovered. The house is currently unlivable, for sake of decorum I will not describe the bathrooms or bedrooms. The kitchen is a disaster as well. The pool is full of lawn furniture and garbage (to go along with the garbage piled at the side of the house, remember-4 month's worth), and several dead as well as live rats are currently staying on the property as well. I honestly had no idea things had reached such a state, or I would have called code enforcement myself.

He will start renovating his trashed property this weekend. Mike was in dire straits when he rented the property, he says he will make a better choice of tenant in the future.

Oh, about his former tenants? Only the daughter showed up in court, totally emaciated and much the worse for wear. The mother has disappeared. Tellingly, the daughter claimed the mother was not involved, which was somewhat contradicted by the mother's signature on the lease. Mike figures he will never see his money. When you think about it, what is to stop these people from repeating the process? They could virtually repeat things in another area, living up to three or four months for free. In areas like this one, landlords are desperate to find renters. So by coming up with a minimal amount of money, these freeloading cretins can essentially exploit the landlords all they wish.

Live and learn folks, live and learn.
    Last edited by chefcraig; 04.30.09 at 05:13 PM.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Women and Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Somebody Get Me a Doctor
    Last Online

03.10.14 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

we had people like that living upstairs. a month after them moving in, the mother and daughter got into an argument. my stepfather, who is a VERY calm person, knocked on their door, asking them to keep it down a touch, saying that i was sleeping for a busy for work. well, lets just say THEY called the cops on us, saying he was yelling. i heard him through the window, and he was talking in a whisper, since he gets loud sometimes.
    a month after that, our ceiling ( both our bathroom and the master bathroom) were leaking. the maitenance guy went up there and could not believe his eyes. wet towels, dirty laundry, the floor up there was completely soaked.

and when they moved (by that, they were kicked out) the maintenece people spent 2 months just fixing the upstairs apartment. now we have very inconsiderate people up there. two couples. i dont care if they work late at night, atleast take your shoes off before you run up the stairs, or turn down the music at 3 in the morning.
    [On the House Un-American Activities Committee] "They'll nail anyone who ever scratched his ass during the National Anthem."- Humphrey Bogart
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".- George Carlin
    "I just think people should be very free with sex. They should draw the line at goats." - Elton John
    "I'm just trying to figure out why you donít have any clothes on," the deputy said.

"Me too," Krauss replied.

"Donít forget! One sperm can ruin your whole day!"

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:30 AM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

Mike came by this afternoon to survey his property, and asked me to join him. He and I were completely astounded by what we discovered. The house is currently unlivable, for sake of decorum I will not describe the bathrooms or bedrooms. The kitchen is a disaster as well. The pool is full of lawn furniture and garbage (to go along with the garbage piled at the side of the house, remember-4 month's worth), and several dead as well as live rats are currently staying on the property as well. I honestly had no idea things had reached such a state, or I would have called code enforcement myself.

He will start renovating his trashed property this weekend. Mike was in dire straits when he rented the property, he says he will make a better choice of tenant in the future.
    Hmmm, sounds like the area of town that I work in when I go to work as a firefighter. Never a dull moment...EVER!!!

Hey Chef, tell Mike to just count his losses, get a professional, set the house of fire, collect the insurance money. It seems to be the rage in my district and just think, it will get firefighters out of bed and working....not that they don't have enough to do already and he will actually be doing a service to your neighborhood.

And........apparently it's legal, because our Arson Investigators never seem to arrest anyone for arson.

HH<----Da roof, Da roof, Da roof is on fayah, we don't need no water let the muthafooker burn........-------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

Wow, stories like these are why I don't ever see myself buying a "rental" property for an investment.

Too bad that people treat other people's property that way.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

Mama Lowlife is looking to get out of the landlord business for many of the same reasons already listed here. She is getting very desperate to sell off her properties.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

We used to rent some properties...we don't anymore...one tenant brought dogs (which we didn't allow) and let them run free, evicted.
    One couple of queens stole everything from another property, and had the nerve to put us down as references when they tried to move into an appartment...they constanly hindered any work done on the property...one of them even threatened us.
    One family skipped town...2 months in arrears...after she and her husband angered every single neighbor...

We sold the properties.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

my wife and I own several rental properties and we have also had our fair share of nightmares. We've been fortunate over the course of the last year or two though. Thank God.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

11.11.11 @ 08:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So landlords, what do you do when your rentors are trashing your rental house, disobey the law and are pissing off EVERY neighbor on the street?!

We've had these rentors across the street:
    -Trash the house
    -Have too many people living in 2 bedroom home
    -Let their dogs roam the neighborhood to the point where people weren't getting their mail because the mailman won't deal with loose dogs
    -Throw a dead pet bird in someone's yard
    -Throw a dead wild bird in the above person's yard
    -Verbal abuse neighbors
    -Threaten neighbors with violence as well as THEIR pets
    -Loudly fight all night to where the next door neighbor could hear
    -Various noise-causing "kickbacks" in the front yard, stop cars in the middle of the street, etc etc etc

Also, I don't get what the appeal some people have with partying or even just sitting out on their front porches. Personally, I like my privacy so the backyard is perfectly fine with me. Its not like this is 50 years ago and all of the neighbors are friends.
    Last edited by MASHAGAR; 04.30.09 at 10:11 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Tenants beware: There are some really crummy Slumlords out there.
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Damn chef, I know we've spoken about these weirdos once and you've mentioned it a time or three in emails as well. Sounds like things went well beyond your worst fears. Feel sorry for Mike, as he royally got hosed.

And by the way, this is not a new thing. Friend of mine had a place down in WPB when his wife got an excellent job offer from up in Penn. They couldn't sell the house, so they went through a rental broker. Things seemed to go fine for a while, and then he gets a call that is very reflective of what Mike found at his place. Holes in walls, furniture (both indoor and outdoor) in the pool and rats/mice all over the place both in and out of the house. Needless to say, the broker took zero responsibility, oh, and this was over 10 years ago!
    Last edited by VanHalenRules; 05.01.09 at 07:18 AM.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by MASHAGAR View Post
    So landlords, what do you do when your rentors are trashing your rental house, disobey the law and are pissing off EVERY neighbor on the street?!

We've had these rentors across the street:
    -Trash the house
    -Let their dogs roam the neighborhood to the point where people weren't getting their mail because the mailman won't deal with loose dogs
    -Throw a dead pet bird in someone's yard
    -Throw a dead wild bird in the above person's yard
    -Verbal abuse neighbors
    -Threaten neighbors with violence as well as THEIR pets
    -Loudly fight all night to where the next door neighbor could hear
    -Various noise-causing "kickbacks" in the front yard, stop cars in the middle of the street, etc etc etc

Also, I don't get what the appeal some people have with partying or even just sitting out on their front porches. Personally, I like my privacy so the backyard is perfectly fine with me. Its not like this is 50 years ago and all of the neighbors are friends.
    that's crazy. If I were the landlord I'd take action to evict those people though it's easier said than done. I never really had a problem evicting people though. Usually if I told them they had to leave for whatever reason, they did. I had a couple of cases where people wouldn't leave so I just started harrassing them all the time and they wound up wanting to leave.

In the above case, it sounds like the landlord may be too scared to do anything about it. I'm surprised they even pay him rent. If it's a Section 8 type scenario, then forget it, because as long as he/she keeps getting those government checks, the landlord probably doesn't give a rat's ass what the place looks like.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been very fortunate these past few years as we have a great landlord. Doesn't ever come by the house, leaves us alone and responds quickly to our issues. When we first moved in, within days, the stove/oven stopped working and within 24 hours he had a brand new top-of-line replacement for us. Then several months later the toilet in the master bathroom got clogged. Replaced it with a brand new one. Right now I'm working with the agent who got us the property to submit a request for a three-year lease renewal (we've simply had one-year leases to this point) and we're hoping that in exchange for that he'll replace the carpets upstairs as they should have been replaced to begin with and now, three years later, they are in very bad shape. I also want him to replace the deck in the back because the wood has rotted and it's not stable anymore. It's literally falling apart. I don't think we're going to have any problems. We pay our rent early every month, sometimes double up, and we take very good care of his house.

Bad tenants suck and they are more common than you'd think. During my time at Aarons I saw people who lived in absolute squalor. They ruined beautiful homes, stories very similar to the one described in the first post of this thread.

Low class trash make me hate people.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

in these two instances, sic the city on 'em. too many people in a house may be a zoning issue, the dogs are definitely an animal control/dog warden issue. sure they may not pay the fines the warden will likely dole out, but it's more of a paper trail against the offending renters.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:06 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,354 Posts

I have alot rental units divided between year round mobile home parks, RV lots, rental houses, apartments, cottages ...not to mention the motel units.

90% of my tenants are great, 5% are high maintenance 4% give me migraines and the 1% that are from some other universe make me want to go out of the business entirely. and it's the bottom 10 percent that keeps me from doing everything that I want to do for the other 90%

It never fails to amaze me that the worst tenants complain the most...usually, I think as an excuse for the miserable lives they have created for themselves and the filthy conditions that they create for themselves....why take responsibility for the trashed unit you live in when you can just blame it on someone else?

I screen tenants carefully, but good tenants are getting harder and harder to come by.

a little over a year ago, over a matter of months I accepted 7 girls in their 20's with children (for seven different units) this was all based upon their respective families co signing and taking full responsibility for their childrens' actions

of the 7 only 2 remain, the other 5 have all been evicted the last of the five being the tenant I referred to in another thread... none of them got a renewal for various reasons...mostly rules violations combined with non payment

It is amazing how ONE BAD TENANT (and their assorted friends, baby daddy's boyfriends and drug dealers) can make an entire neighborhood miserable, and for me it's just not worth it

it has certainly affected my bottom line, but it makes it easier to sleep at night

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    I have alot rental units divided between year round mobile home parks, RV lots, rental houses, apartments, cottages ...not to mention the motel units.

90% of my tenants are great, 5% are high maintenance 4% give me migraines and the 1% that are from some other universe make me want to go out of the business entirely. and it's the bottom 10 percent that keeps me from doing everything that I want to do for the other 90%

It never fails to amaze me that the worst tenants complain the most...usually, I think as an excuse for the miserable lives they have created for themselves and the filthy conditions that they create for themselves....why take responsibility for the trashed unit you live in when you can just blame it on someone else?

I screen tenants carefully, but good tenants are getting harder and harder to come by.

a little over a year ago, over a matter of months I accepted 7 girls in their 20's with children (for seven different units) this was all based upon their respective families co signing and taking full responsibility for their childrens' actions

of the 7 only 2 remain, the other 5 have all been evicted the last of the five being the tenant I referred to in another thread... none of them got a renewal for various reasons...mostly rules violations combined with non payment

It is amazing how ONE BAD TENANT (and their assorted friends, baby daddy's boyfriends and drug dealers) can make an entire neighborhood miserable, and for me it's just not worth it

it has certainly affected my bottom line, but it makes it easier to sleep at night
    I've had pretty good luck with single men over 40, although I do have one lady with two kids that always pays like clockwork and never causes any grief.