Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Default 5150 Kramer paint woodgrain question

I'm painting my 5150 right now. I noticed in recent pics, Ed's Kramer shows a lot of woodgrain. Did it always look like that or did the paint settle over the years? If it always looked like that it would save me a lot of trouble sanding! I'm thinking of doing a little sanding but looking at how his looks, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me! Anybody know how it really looked in the 80's? I'm thinking it probably looked close to how it looks now.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's what happens when you don't use a sealer.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    That's what happens when you don't use a sealer.
    So does it happen over time, or will it be like that from the first coat of paint without sealer?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    So does it happen over time, or will it be like that from the first coat of paint without sealer?
    Probably both ...
    The paint will initially sink into the grain and may get a little worse over time as the paint slowly cures.

Last Online

Probably both ...
    The paint will initially sink into the grain and may get a little worse over time as the paint slowly cures.
    It appears Ed didn't use primer on his early guitars that he painted. But did he use fiiller? And if not how did he get a smooth finish? Thanks for the help Dino5150!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Are we sure Edd actually painted the 5150?

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Are we sure Edd actually painted the 5150?
    When it comes to Ed...nothing is for sure!

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    When it comes to Ed...nothing is for sure!
    yeah..that's for sure. What i recall from a mag interview was he taped it, but someone else did all the paint.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

yeah..that's for sure. What i recall from a mag interview was he taped it, but someone else did all the paint.
    Iv'e got a pic montage somewhere showing him painting the 5150. It actually shows the area of black he fucked up. That's actually why he put the 5150 spacetape on there midway through the 84' tour. He dug the way it looked, and started doing it regularily with his other guitars, like the 1984, and the OU812. Theres also some pics of him and Berardi together working on the Frankie II as well. Ed was also doing some of the routes. Unfortunately I don't have a scanner, and I pulled these pics off the net years ago off of Eddievanhalen.com. They might still be there in the guitar builders forum for those that want to dig through that mess. They've got so many sub categories, but their very cool photos. Also, there's a guy who used to work for Kramer that did quite a bit of work with Ed on the design he wanted. Well he started his own company, and on his web page, there used to be some old pics showing some of the preliminary designs they came up with. Ed wanted the same headstock as his Destroyer, and there were photos of some of the veriations of the design. The 5150's neck if i recall was the second one they came up with. Very cool. Maybe Chef would remember this guys name. I can't for the life of me.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah, I recall a mag interview of this nature too, but it said that this was his Bumblebee. He did the taping, but their pro painter at Charvel applied the color.Don't shoot the messenger though. I've noticed over the past several years, that the years associated with the pics, as well as the facts applied to the pics are becoming very questionable. Like for instance, recently in GW, the fabled Korina Destroyer has magically become Mahogany.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 04.30.09 at 03:18 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    It appears Ed didn't use primer on his early guitars that he painted. But did he use fiiller? And if not how did he get a smooth finish? Thanks for the help Dino5150!
    Filler, sealer ... both basically serve the same purpose, which is to help conceal the grain.
    And no ... I don't believe Ed used either one.

For example ... here's a body made of Northern Ash.
    At this stage, I shot a coat of epoxy primer sealer, then began prepping it for another coat in order to both seal the grain and help even out the surface. Note the deep grain pattern in certain areas, while other areas appear somewhat smooth.

Then after shooting more epoxy primer sealer, and more prep work, you'll see that the surface is now smooth and ready for the first basecoat. Also note the deep grain pattern that still exists in the pickup cavity for comparison.

I seriously doubt that Ed knew or really cared enough to want to go through all the trouble of sealing the grain and doing all that prep work. And here's a recent photo of Ed's guitar as proof.

If you consider the several coats of various colors that were used on that guitar as well as the fact that the stripes themselves most likely drew alot of attention away from any imperfections (such as wood grain), it might make more sense as to why it wasn't so noticable early on.
    Last edited by Dino5150; 04.30.09 at 03:48 PM.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Iv'e got a pic montage somewhere showing him painting the 5150 ...
    Actually, what you have are pictures of Ed painting the Kramer Ad Frankie at the Kramer factory.

And Ed never painted or taped the BumbleBee ...
    That's just more EvH folklore.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Actually, what you have are pictures of Ed painting the Kramer Ad Frankie at the Kramer factory.

And Ed never painted or taped the BumbleBee ...
    That's just more EvH folklore.
    Which one? The white one? The ones I have, Hes wearing a white jumpsuit sort of get up, kinda like the pink ones. He's in the same booth as the one in the ad frankie, where he's got that checkered shirt or whatever. I had heard that before about the bee. At most I thought well maybe he taped it, but I'd heard they did it for him. was'nt that also the beginning of the bad blood over at Charvel? I think they really thought he was gonna be their main gig. I'll see if I can take a digital pic of this print i have of Ed at Kramer. I'm pretty sure I know the ones you mean. I've had those for a long time.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Which one? The white one? The ones I have, Hes wearing a white jumpsuit sort of get up, kinda like the pink ones. He's in the same booth as the one in the ad frankie, where he's got that checkered shirt or whatever. I had heard that before about the bee. At most I thought well maybe he taped it, but I'd heard they did it for him. was'nt that also the beginning of the bad blood over at Charvel? I think they really thought he was gonna be their main gig. I'll see if I can take a digital pic of this print i have of Ed at Kramer. I'm pretty sure I know the ones you mean. I've had those for a long time.
    There are a BUNCH of pictures of Ed working on and painting the Kramer Frankie. It appears primed white in most of the shots. But I think I only have 1 picture of some Kramer employee painting either the white basecoat or priming the Kramer 5150. And I can't be sure if that was the 5150, or another Kramer like the Hot For Teacher guitar or the 1984 guitar since there are not stripes yet, and the picture has the body at such a severe angle you can't tell if it is a Barretta or the 5150...

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

Let me try and sort some of this out for you guys:

Ed did not stripe or paint the Charvel VH II, he apparently only suggested the color combination... (who actually did paint it remains a point of contention as some say it was Wayne Charvel himself and other insist it was Karl Sandoval - a Charvel employee at the time!).

The VH II stripe design...

...was undeniably based on the VH I...
    WGAF?!!