Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,930
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Likes
    987
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

    Default CVH's opening bands restrictions

    Found this on melodicrock.com today, in an interview with Autograph's Steve Lynch:

    FIB Music: What was it like touring with Van Halen? Any cool stories from the road?
    Steve: The experience was really good but there were a lot of restrictions. I was told I couldn't use my hammering technique because it was "Eddie's thing", which I was completely turned off by, especially when I had developed the technique years before I had ever heard of him. The other things that we were restricted were we couldn't say the name of the city we were in because that was "David's thing", we were very limited in our volume to a point of being ridiculous, they wouldn't allow us to put our name on the marquee, we had to be out of the backstage hallways before and after their show....and the list went on and on. I thought it all was a big joke, but realized it wasn't when they said if any of the "rules" were broken we would be fired from the tour immediately.
    Little Dreamer

  2. #2
    Good Enough Ace Ventura's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    47
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    2,013
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    So this is love?
    Last Online

    01.01.13 @ 04:06 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Oh, that sounds like a good time... Think they might have felt threatened?
    "It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you..." -Neil Young

    "The sun's not yellow, it's chicken." -Bob Dylan

    "If you go out and buy a Van Halen record and put it in your collection, it'll melt your other records." -David Lee Roth, 1981.

    Guy of Gisborne: Why a spoon, cousin? Why not an axe?
    Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's DULL, you twit!!! It'll HURT MORE!!!

  3. #3
    Eruption servoguy101's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    atlanta
    Posts
    1,244
    Favorite VH Album

    BOBW
    Favorite VH Song

    Crossing over
    Last Online

    04.03.12 @ 11:26 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    It's all about the ego stroke....
    Sam, Dave,Gary... who cares. its all about what makes you feel good.

  4. #4
    Hang 'Em High sickman's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.13.04
    Posts
    6,169
    Favorite VH Album

    Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

    Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Likes
    547
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace Ventura View Post
    Oh, that sounds like a good time... Think they might have felt threatened?
    I doubt threatened. I thought Autograph sucked.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

  5. #5
    Good Enough brownnation's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.27.08
    Posts
    1,543
    Last Online

    02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Likes
    33
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Found this on melodicrock.com today, in an interview with Autograph's Steve Lynch:

    FIB Music: What was it like touring with Van Halen? Any cool stories from the road?
    Steve: The experience was really good but there were a lot of restrictions. I was told I couldn't use my hammering technique because it was "Eddie's thing", which I was completely turned off by, especially when I had developed the technique years before I had ever heard of him. The other things that we were restricted were we couldn't say the name of the city we were in because that was "David's thing", we were very limited in our volume to a point of being ridiculous, they wouldn't allow us to put our name on the marquee, we had to be out of the backstage hallways before and after their show....and the list went on and on. I thought it all was a big joke, but realized it wasn't when they said if any of the "rules" were broken we would be fired from the tour immediately.
    Wow! This guy is claiming that completely independent of Eddie's influence he had his own "hammering thing" that he, himself developed. I wonder exactly what he's talking about. When did he hear of Eddie first? And is it the same tapping thing that Eddie does, or just some other type of thing that this guy does.

    Kind of funny how a lot of these 80's guitar players just happened to independently come up with this stuff on their own, and of course they'd never heard VHI, or came up with it well before that. I think we should now recognize the Autograph guitar player as a trailblazer visionary!

  6. #6
    Top Of The World FatStrat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.13.04
    Age
    32
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    197
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    09.16.13 @ 02:25 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I can't imagine how this guy did a whole set without fret tapping... It looks like his entire style is based around it... Honestly, I can sort of see why Ed would be cautious, but that's not an excuse. They should just have refused to tour with them altogether if they thought it was going to be an issue, rather than restricting them like that.



    (check out 3:12)

    Also, check this out.

    http://www.stevelynch.info/about0.asp

    Steve's technique was born in April 1978 from a clinic at GIT where Emmett Chapman was demonstrating a two-handed fretboard tapping technique with his instrument invention, the Chapman Stick. After interacting with Chapman, Steve was inspired to utilize a two-handed method similar to Chapman's, further expanding the technique he had already developed. Lynch published in 1979 his first book on his two-handed guitar method, The Right Touch (CPP/Belwin), which became the quintessential handbook for the studying and practicing rock guitarist in the 1980's, training in the usage of eight-finger fretboard tapping techniques.
    His technique certainly does not pre-date Ed's in any way...
    Last edited by FatStrat85; 04.28.09 at 07:23 AM.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,930
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:07 PM
    Likes
    987
    Liked 1,383 Times in 758 Posts

    Default

    The Right Touch certainly was a classic instruction book for anyone who wanted to master advanced tapping in the 80s.

    EVH actually didn't become famous becoz of tapping. What set him apart is that he came up with the music of awesome songs like RWTD, I'm the one, Bottom's up, etc. That's y he could be a prick to lil' Steve Lynch. I don't think if it was just for tapping EVH would have reigned supreme in that era.
    Little Dreamer

  8. #8
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FatStrat85 View Post
    I can't imagine how this guy did a whole set without fret tapping... It looks like his entire style is based around it... Honestly, I can sort of see why Ed would be cautious, but that's not an excuse. They should just have refused to tour with them altogether if they thought it was going to be an issue, rather than restricting them like that.



    (check out 3:12)

    Also, check this out.

    http://www.stevelynch.info/about0.asp



    His technique certainly does not pre-date Ed's in any way...
    Of course tapping has been around for along time before Ed exploited it, and the debate continues to this day about his true first exposure, though I don't dispute his claims of being inspired by Page's Heartbreaker solo, but I'm sorry...any player worth his salt honing their craft in the eighties not being aware of Eddie Van Halen just does'nt wash with me. Back on topic though, who do you think initiated the Do's and Don'ts for the guys who opened for VH? Management, Ed, Dave? I can understand it somewhat as far as it was somewhat of a retro show, but it still seems like a pretty juvenille list. The fans are aware of the influence the band's had on the rock world. I don't think a band playing ahead of VH using some of their techniques would detract from the main event. Good thing Dragon Force didn't open! Theyed have to perform acapella!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  9. #9
    Atomic Punk Eddymon's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.20.99
    Age
    48
    Location
    3800 foot level in the Sierra
    Posts
    15,108
    Favorite VH Album

    all of them
    Favorite VH Song

    If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 08:14 AM
    Likes
    2
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brownnation View Post
    Wow! This guy is claiming that completely independent of Eddie's influence he had his own "hammering thing" that he, himself developed. I wonder exactly what he's talking about. When did he hear of Eddie first? And is it the same tapping thing that Eddie does, or just some other type of thing that this guy does.

    Kind of funny how a lot of these 80's guitar players just happened to independently come up with this stuff on their own, and of course they'd never heard VHI, or came up with it well before that. I think we should now recognize the Autograph guitar player as a trailblazer visionary!
    Kind of like when Kingdom Come claimed that they have never listened to Led Zeppelin yet they are obvious "Kingdom Clones".
    Oasis saying basically the same thing about The Beatles.
    Then there was Vanilla Ice who claimed that he did not steal Queen's bass riff for "Ice Ice Baby".
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

  10. #10
    On Fire killerq's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    403
    Favorite VH Album

    CVH 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    02.15.12 @ 07:03 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Of course tapping has been around for along time before Ed exploited it, and the debate continues to this day about his true first exposure, though I don't dispute his claims of being inspired by Page's Heartbreaker solo, but I'm sorry...any player worth his salt honing their craft in the eighties not being aware of Eddie Van Halen just does'nt wash with me. Back on topic though, who do you think initiated the Do's and Don'ts for the guys who opened for VH? Management, Ed, Dave? I can understand it somewhat as far as it was somewhat of a retro show, but it still seems like a pretty juvenille list. The fans are aware of the influence the band's had on the rock world. I don't think a band playing ahead of VH using some of their techniques would detract from the main event. Good thing Dragon Force didn't open! Theyed have to perform acapella!
    Steve is a monster guitarist, he did teach at GIT, he is a very good player, now he sounds like a EVH clone to me, listen to his solo on Turn up the Radio it screams EVH, now maybe he just got sick of hearing he was a clone, like 99.9% of 80's rock guitarist, here is EVH in his own words

    GP 1980
    GP: What do you think when you hear other players using your licks?

    EVH: I guess they always say that imitation is the highest form of flattery. I think this is a crock of shit. I donít like people doing things exactly like me. Some of the things I do I know no one has done, like the harmonic runs and the clock chime-like sound. The ďEruptionĒ solo: I never heard anything done like that before, but I know someone must have figured some of it out. What I donít like is when someone takes what Iíve done, and instead of innovating on what I came up with, they do my trip! They do my melody. Like I learned from Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Beck -- but I donít play like them. I innovated; I learned from them and did my own thing out of it. Some of those guys out there are doing my thing, which I think is a lot different.
    "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. CVH's opening bands restrictions
    By Little Dreamer in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04.28.09, 05:22 AM
  2. Opening act
    By BOSOXRULE in forum 2007 Van Halen Tour
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09.12.07, 12:03 AM
  3. opening act for this tour?
    By VanRoth07 in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 08.08.07, 04:40 PM
  4. New Bar, Opening 11/13!!!
    By Down In Flames in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11.13.00, 08:52 PM
  5. Opening for Bon Jovi in the US??
    By Georgie in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11.03.00, 01:24 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •