Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

Default I'm riding on Vox's Night Train!

Hey,
    I was at Sam Ash today with a $100 off coupon I received in the mail for this weekend. It was $100 off anything $399 or more. Plus, I just sold a travel guitar Ive had forever for $200 on ebay...so i'm looking to spend a little bit today...

So I asked the guy if they had a Orange Tiny Terror as I've wanted one and this was a good chance to get one cheap.

He says "no we dont have the Orange TT but we just got in these Vox Night Train's...we haven't even opened them yet."

I said, well let's crack this baby open and check it out.

First impression is...wow this thing is really small and looks killer in the polished steel. We plug it in and I was blown away. It has a wide range of tones that you can't get with the Orange TT (my opinion). 15 watts and 7.5 watts (pentode/triode) and EL84s and 12 AX7.

You can get that classic (almost) AC 15 tone very jangly and clears/shimmery, to great blues tone and with the thick switch it brings you into some ripping rock with gobs of sustain.

I'm wondering if I should keep this or get the Marshall Haze 15...I want a small head that can be versatile for practice (travel). Wish it had an effects loop as I like to use delay and playing with delay sucks without a loop...the haze has delay built in...but this Vox seems so freakin cool for the price...

Is there a way to add an effects loop? I'd do it down the road later but good to know.

I will post some clips soon of my playing this bad boy... see this review on youtube

Here it is on my Marshall Cab...(sorry for the CRAPPY iPhone picture)

With the $100 off coupon this things was $399 out the door and with my sale of my travel guitar...this only cost me $199 plus tax...a freakin steal I think but still concerned about no LOOP! What to do????

Last edited by LeftyVanHalen; 04.26.09 at 05:24 AM.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

For the benefit of others, here's a clear image of the Night Train, Lefty. Some more info is provided at the links below. Definetly looks and sounds sweet.

http://www.voxamps.com/us/modernclassic/nighttrain/

http://www.dv247.com/news/VOX%20Nigh...%20Head/132013

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/squa...ror-clone.html

http://www.premierguitar.com/Video/2..._Amp_Demo.aspx
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There's a reason they don't put an effect loops on those you know....and why can't you use a delay straight in?...!...been doing that all my life

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    There's a reason they don't put an effect loops on those you know....and why can't you use a delay straight in?...!...been doing that all my life
    Why dont they put an effects loop? What's the reason?

Also, how do you use a delay or reverb in front of the amp without it sounding to much in the mix when you have gain on it?

Thanks

Last Online

Here's a clip with somebody who like EVH and eruption like licks!

And check this clip out at 2:16....using delay in the front section and distortion....nice!

But...I see the key is to use a pedal for the distortion and you can use the delay to sound good. If the tubes are running hot...the delay sounds like shit IMO.

I'm so pumped on this small but mighty amp!
    Last edited by LeftyVanHalen; 04.26.09 at 11:55 AM.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

On one hand why spend the money on something you don't really need/want(or may ever use in the long run) when you have your eye/interest on another piece of gear.

On the other hand thats a very cool little tube head that you may enjoy having. It may also be cool for recording to get some different tones you may not get from your other amps.

I don't know..as far as travel..If you're going to take a 4 X 12 cab then why have a little head? Do they make a little cab to go with it? You may be better with a combo tube amp instead. Vox may even make one with a loop if you dig Vox. I can't give specifics but over the years when trying out guitars etc I've plugged into some little tube combos that had an awesome tone and some that even had fantastic gain/overdrive. I know Vox and Marshall both make amps like this but not sure what has a loop or doesn't. Vox and Marshall aren't your only choices either. So many wonderful little amps out there. Maybe someone else can offer more specific recommendations/ help. GL!
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 04.26.09 at 12:28 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyVanHalen View Post
    Why dont they put an effects loop? What's the reason?

Also, how do you use a delay or reverb in front of the amp without it sounding to much in the mix when you have gain on it?

Thanks
    well..i'm speaking in my set-up naturally, but if your effects are well placed, i never had any issue with any of those realy. I had a Boogie Mark_3 and i still got all my FX infront, don't know, maybe i'm to old school...

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    On one hand why spend the money on something you don't really need/want(or may ever use in the long run) when you have your eye/interest on another piece of gear.

On the other hand thats a very cool little tube head that you may enjoy having. It may also be cool for recording to get some different tones you may not get from your other amps.

I don't know..as far as travel..If you're going to take a 4 X 12 cab then why have a little head? Do they make a little cab to go with it? You may be better with a combo tube amp instead. Vox may even make one with a loop if you dig Vox. I can't give specifics but over the years when trying out guitars etc I've plugged into some little tube combos that had an awesome tone and some that even had fantastic gain/overdrive. I know Vox and Marshall both make amps like this but not sure what has a loop or doesn't. Vox and Marshall aren't your only choices either. So many wonderful little amps out there. Maybe someone else can offer more specific recommendations/ help. GL!
    Thanks. I actually didnt have my heart set on the Orange TT but it was more like...i've seen them online and everyone raves about it so why not get one for cheap? But, when I saw the Vox Night Train, I was even more excited because of the features it has over the Orange TT.

Plus, I keep my cabinet at my band practice studio...I just dont like to keep the head there in case of theft so I always lug around my Marshall Head which is a beast.

This Vox head is so small it's amazing.

Last Online

Well, I played the Night Train at band practice last night. I first started out playing my Marshall JCM 800 50 watter and wanted to get used to that tone first...

Then I plugged in the Night Train.

Guys, I kid you not...this little amp is a monster. It has amazing Vox clean (think AC15) and can really get dirty on mid way gain. With the gain full on...it's total classic rock all the way.

Then you through on the thick switch and it's hard rock/metal territory...with no pedals!

I am in love with this little head and will not part with it for anything.

If it were stolen or damaged...I'd buy another in a freakin heart beat

Go try one of these if you havent...it smokes!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning & 1984
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:48 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 44 Posts

Check out the Egnater Rebel 20 ... with the effects loop.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    Check out the Egnater Rebel 20 ... with the effects loop.
    I did and I thought it sucked. Seriously, I thought it sounded thin and not nearly as good as the Vox Night Train.

I can live without a loop with amazing tone like this one. The Egnater's are just crap (my opinion).