Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

TASCAM help

Let me preface this to say that I am an absolute recording noob.

But here is my problem.

When I record a bass part, unless I play it totally clean with no effects it sounds like a jumbled mess when I play back the recording.

If I want to use an effect, should I just use the programmable effects of the Tascam, should I not record directly from box to the Tascam, should I play out of my amp and use the condenser mic, is my volume just too loud, etc.

I know that is a lot of questions, but using the effects to get a nice heavy "Black Sabbath" kind of sound, it is just sounding God awful in playback, when it sounds fine live.

Let me qualify, it sounds good, my playing still sucks!
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by "jumbled mess", but I'm going to guess your levels and/or low frequencies may be too high.

I'd suggest maybe backing off the low frequencies in record mode, check your recording levels, and try recording everything "dry" (no effects).
    You may even want to try adding a compressor/limiter inline while recording.

Once you get a good clean bass track, you can always go back and EQ it, or add effects if you want.

JMO

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

This is fortunately my area of expertise.
    First let's address one thing. With all the advancements in recording through the advent of digital, in some respects its taken a couple of steps back. Recording bass in the vinyl era was an art in itself. Without getting too technical, bass had to be recorded at significantly different EQ levels, and placed in a specific field to eliminate unwanted distortion during playback on vinyl. Now for home users, analog tape was very forgiving when recording bass. Your only concern was headroom, so when you mastered and played back your work, your speakers wouldn't clip with stronger bass frequencies. Digital for all it's benefits is far less forgiving when recording bass. Alot of it has to do with the sampling rates. Drums, guitar, and vocals share a pretty close frequency range, and there is far less digital processing going on, but when you add bass recorded with similar levels and EQ, you are most likely getting a warbling, unbalanced sound, which is also probably causing distortion. When you record bass, always remember that less is more. For example. Some of the best speakers for bass amps, are not 12" inch, and in some examples not even traditional paper coned. They are actually 10" inch, aluminum, and in real high end stuff, titanium. The best thing to do to record with effects on your Tascam, is to adjust your high and low EQ to flat. In the menu you will find that you can fine tune the high and low EQ. I tend to reduce the low slightly, and in turn increase the high end frequencies. As Dino suggested, adding a little compression or limiting helps a great deal. Only add the feature effects during mastering. It won't matter if you use the onboard effects, or your own through the FX loop. The level depending on your pickups should be about halfway up + or - a few points. Mastering will take care of the rest. Just remember it's not your machine, and you're not doing anything specifically wrong. Bass recording takes alot of trial and error. I had a lot of bad takes on my machine before I found out how too finesse it. Take notes of your settings too. It helps alot.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    This is fortunately my area of expertise.
    First let's address one thing. With all the advancements in recording through the advent of digital, in some respects its taken a couple of steps back. Recording bass in the vinyl era was an art in itself. Without getting too technical, bass had to be recorded at significantly different EQ levels, and placed in a specific field to eliminate unwanted distortion during playback on vinyl. Now for home users, analog tape was very forgiving when recording bass. Your only concern was headroom, so when you mastered and played back your work, your speakers wouldn't clip with stronger bass frequencies. Digital for all it's benefits is far less forgiving when recording bass. Alot of it has to do with the sampling rates. Drums, guitar, and vocals share a pretty close frequency range, and there is far less digital processing going on, but when you add bass recorded with similar levels and EQ, you are most likely getting a warbling, unbalanced sound, which is also probably causing distortion. When you record bass, always remember that less is more. For example. Some of the best speakers for bass amps, are not 12" inch, and in some examples not even traditional paper coned. They are actually 10" inch, aluminum, and in real high end stuff, titanium. The best thing to do to record with effects on your Tascam, is to adjust your high and low EQ to flat. In the menu you will find that you can fine tune the high and low EQ. I tend to reduce the low slightly, and in turn increase the high end frequencies. As Dino suggested, adding a little compression or limiting helps a great deal. Only add the feature effects during mastering. It won't matter if you use the onboard effects, or your own through the FX loop. The level depending on your pickups should be about halfway up + or - a few points. Mastering will take care of the rest. Just remember it's not your machine, and you're not doing anything specifically wrong. Bass recording takes alot of trial and error. I had a lot of bad takes on my machine before I found out how too finesse it. Take notes of your settings too. It helps alot.
    Perfect explaination.
    That's exactly what I would have said if I were smart.

Recording bass is always a challenge.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

As a rule (and something left over from my analog recording days) I ALWAYS compress bass when recording. Sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot. But I find it makes things much easier to deal with once the track is there. Make note, though: low frequency waves are very long, thus it is always wise to set compression attack later-ish.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    As a rule (and something left over from my analog recording days) I ALWAYS compress bass when recording. Sometimes just a little, sometimes a lot. But I find it makes things much easier to deal with once the track is there. Make note, though: low frequency waves are very long, thus it is always wise to set compression attack later-ish.
    Yeah!... The simple act of compressing bass eluded me for a long time.
    Bass is one of those instruments that comes with a lot of preconceptions. I wanted a big open bass sound and thought it was no different than micing my guitar.
    Wow, was I wrong. The very initial perception of bass is that more is better. Bigger amps, louder volume, mic it close....etc....etc. Like I said in the earlier post, less is more. Compressing the signal evens out the sound, as the compressor adds gain to the lower signals, and cuts the higher signals. (like uneven attack on the strings) It's much easier to set your levels, and another thing it does is as a result of this is reduce those resonant frequency issues that you are no doubt having where every so often a strong note makes your speaker cones warble or you get an "out of tuneness" even after mixdown. Another technique for micing bass that is popular with moderately priced dynamic mics like the Sure 57 or 58, is to mic the amp on a 90 degree axis (or very close to it). This eliminates the higher pressures of certain frequencies from hitting the mics diaphagm head on. The result is a very even bass sound which is also very easy to boost to your liking via your onboard EQ at mixdown.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input!

Vocals are a piece of cake compared to trying to get the bass sounding right.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input!

Vocals are a piece of cake compared to trying to get the bass sounding right.
    Which model did you go with ? I've got the DP-02; the black one with the 40 Gig. drive.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Which model did you go with ? I've got the DP-02; the black one with the 40 Gig. drive.
    I got the same.

I am starting to get the hang of it, but man that is a lot to learn right off the bat.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I got the same.

I am starting to get the hang of it, but man that is a lot to learn right off the bat.
    Yeah! It's a great unit, but I'm with you....lot to learn. I found the toughest part was actually unlearning all the stuff you normally do with analog. At times, I thought the manual was just lacking, wich is abnormal for Tascam/Teac, but as time went on I realized that those things were missing or omited because of intuitiveness of the unit. I put the unit down for a week with frustration, but came back to it fresh and it all sort of revealled itself. Now I love it. Also alot of the complaints I've heard on reviews of the unit were a result of the same preconceptions, from old farts like me who cut their teeth on old analog gear. The only thing I'm having trouble with at the moment is figuring out the partitions feature. You got that stuff down yet?

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I haven't had to use the partition feature yet because I am moving stuff to my computer pretty soon after I master it.

I work from home, so my computer gets backed up to disc every night.

Since every couple of weeks I am taking the Tascam to our guitar players house, I am just nervous that I will do something stupid and lose some data.

I might need to learn it though, one long jam session recrding and a partition will fill up pretty easily.

It comes with three partitions out of the box, correct?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I haven't had to use the partition feature yet because I am moving stuff to my computer pretty soon after I master it.

I work from home, so my computer gets backed up to disc every night.

Since every couple of weeks I am taking the Tascam to our guitar players house, I am just nervous that I will do something stupid and lose some data.

I might need to learn it though, one long jam session recrding and a partition will fill up pretty easily.

It comes with three partitions out of the box, correct?
    I think that's right; three partitions. I hav'nt worked with them either. I'm afraid i might lose some data too, so yeah, I should play around with that feature too. BTW, how has your bass recording been going? Also what bass are you using? Mine is a bit of a hybrid. Kinda half Spector, and half Fender Precision. I'd love to pick up a Jazz. Great basses.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

I think that's right; three partitions. I hav'nt worked with them either. I'm afraid i might lose some data too, so yeah, I should play around with that feature too. BTW, how has your bass recording been going? Also what bass are you using? Mine is a bit of a hybrid. Kinda half Spector, and half Fender Precision. I'd love to pick up a Jazz. Great basses.
    Sorry, I missed your response.

I play a Fender Precision, and I have a very old acoustic bass that I play when called for.

I finally got the settings right when recording my bass, and depending on what I am going for, I either plug it straight in or record through my condenser mic in front of my amp.

We have our first original tune almost finished, when completed I will post it up here for the incredible ass whooping it will receive from you guys!