Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 55 12341151 ... LastLast
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

10.27.17 @ 06:31 PM
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts

Default Miss California Sparks Furor With Gay Marriage Comments on Miss USA Telecast

Miss California Sparks Furor With Gay Marriage Comments on Miss USA Telecast

foxnews.com

Monday , April 20, 2009

Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton was crowned Miss USA on Sunday, but the big story to come out of the normally politics-free telecast was Miss California's comments regarding gay marriage.

When asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger, whether she believed in gay marriage, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, said "We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."

Keith Lewis, who runs the Miss California competition, tells FOXNews.com that he was "saddened" by Prejean's statement.

"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," said Lewis in a statement. "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."

Co-director Shanna Moakler told FOXNews.com that she fully supported Lewis' statement.

Miss California's answer sparked a shouting match in the lobby after the show. "It's ugly," said Scott Ihrig, a gay man, who attended the pageant with his partner. "I think it's ridiculous that she got first runner-up. That is not the value of 95 percent of the people in this audience. Look around this audience and tell me how many gay men there are."

Charmaine Koonce, the mother of Miss New Mexico USA Bianca Matamoros-Koonce, argued back.

"In the Bible it says marriage is between Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve!"

The pageant had enjoyed a scandal-free year until earlier this month, when Miss Universe 2008 Dayana Mendoza was skewered for a blog posting from a trip to Guantanamo Bay. The entry described having "aloooot of fun" at a base that houses the notorious military prison; it was later deleted from the pageant's Web site.

The winner, Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton, a 22-year-old aspiring motivational speaker and entertainer from Wilmington, edged out first runner-up Miss California, and second runner-up Miss Arizona USA Alicia-Monique Blanco, of Phoenix.

"It feels really natural," Dalton said of her win. "I've worked so be here and this has been my lifelong dream and it's finally here. And whoever knew you could win in a turquoise gown?"

Contestants from all 50 states and the District of Columbia competed in the pageant, aired live on NBC. Contestants were judged by their performance in swimsuit and evening gown modeling contests and their responses to a question asked onstage; unlike the rival Miss America pageant, Miss USA contestants do not perform a talent.

The top 15 contestants worked the stage in white string bikinis designed by pop star Jessica Simpson's swimwear line. Rocker Kevin Rudolf performed his song "Let it Rock," followed by The Veronicas, who performed their single "Untouched" as the top 10 beauties showed off their choice of glittering evening gowns.

Dalton's was a flowing, blue Grecian number that stood out among a series of white gowns.

Her title comes with a year's use of a New York apartment, a public relations team, a two-year scholarship at the New York Film Academy and an undisclosed salary.

She also will go to the Bahamas in August to compete in the Miss Universe pageant, where American beauties haven't been lucky in recent years. Both Miss USA 2008 Crystle Stewart and her predecessor, Rachel Smith, wiped out on stage during the evening gown competition, becoming accidental YouTube stars.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

I actually watched the last 15-20 minutes of the show and saw the "final" questions. California should have won. No matter what side of the issue your on, if you watched it, you would have agreed. All the other contestants gave "canned" answers they had ready beforehand that really didn't fit their questions, a couple of them out and out didn't even answer their question.

They are ticked off because she didn't give the answer they wanted. At least she was honest.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,473 Times in 899 Posts

It's her opinion and she's entitled to it. If you don't like the answer, then don't ask the damn question.

I hate it when people ask a question on a difficult topic yet get upset when they don't like the answer.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

oh yea, sorry guys

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Raldo View Post

I hate it when people ask a question on a difficult topic yet get upset when they don't like the answer.

Exactly, I don't think we can ever agree with another person 100% of the time and why would we want too. Having intelligent conversations about controversial subjects is what makes life interesting.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:42 AM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    When asked by judge Perez Hilton, an openly gay gossip blogger, whether she believed in gay marriage, Miss California, Carrie Prejean, said "We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised."
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Keith Lewis, who runs the Miss California competition, tells FOXNews.com that he was "saddened" by Prejean's statement.

"As co-director of the Miss California USA, I am personally saddened and hurt that Miss California believes marriage rights belong only to a man and a woman," said Lewis in a statement. "I believe all religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit. I do not believe our government should be able to discriminate against anyone and religious beliefs have no politics in the Miss California family."
    Funny, she didn't mention religion and she was even apologetic by saying this is what she believes, but even if she did ascribe it to her particular religion, Mr. Lewis even said "religions should be able to ordain what unions they see fit". I guess unless they don't see homo-marriage as fit, that is...

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,216 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

He shouldn't have asked the question.

This is why you don't have someone on a judging panel whose sole qualifications are being a supremely gay gossip blogger.

That's truly amateur hour.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

11.30.17 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Outstanding and good for her!

She gave an honest answer and wasn't trying to be offensive in any way.

Personally, I think it's great how the audience recoiled at an answer that was something other than complete and total blind acceptance, encouraging and "Pro" gay. Good grief. Get over it.

There will ALWAYS be people that believe marriage should be between a man and a woman. Gay people should learn to cope better than this. I really do find it funny when this kind of stuff pops up and the reactions that it generates.

I know, I'm a cave man right wing fascist. Save it.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't agree with her but I got no problem with her answering the question honestly.

For the record, I think the government should abstain from defining marriage. Marriage is between the two people involved and there can be all the religious debate in the world about it. If the Catholic church doesn't want to legitimize gay marriage, fine. It's their perogative as a religious group to define their own beliefs. The government should be able to tell them that their decision doesn't work.

That being said, religions, catholic, jew, protestent, whatever...have no business forcing their religious belief into the secular world. If a gay couple wants to get married, let 'em.

Back to the topic at hand, good for her. At least I can respect her a lot more than that chick a few years ago who went on about maps and shit.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 191 Times in 96 Posts

What's fucked up about this topic is for thousands of years, on this planet we call earth, marriage has always been defined as a man and a woman (its the definition of of the word). These wackos think that all of a sudden people are wrong to think that way. Literally they are saying that mankind for thousands of years have had it all wrong??? Give me a fucking break. These wackos now want to politicize the Miss USA pageant? Its a fucking beauty contest not a political platform.
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

I never really understood the whole argument anyway. I mean I get it, pudding pushers want to be able to say they are married but what does it really matter. Is it for tax purposes, discounts on insurance, what. It's not like one of you is going to give birth and the child is a bastard because you aren't married.
    I agree if the catholic church doesn't want to recognize it than that is their choice. I'm sure there are religions that will recognize it if you truly need to have a piece of paper saying you are married.
    Good for her for answering the question honestly. My only problem with it is here apologizing for her opinion.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

There really needs to be 2 types of marriage in the US. Holy Matrimony (for religious purposes) and marriage (for tax purposes). One from your respected religion, the other from the government.

What defines marriage? I ask, what defines sex? Can two women technically have sex together? Can two men?

Definitions are blurred a lot lately, but who really cares? As a former religious fanatic and still a devout believer, I say, if people are happy, let them be happy. If they want to call themselves married to be happy, fine.

Honestly, gay marriage should be allowed for tax write offs. That seems like the big argument for gays to get married anyway.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Last Online

10.23.15 @ 04:49 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I never really understood the whole argument anyway. I mean I get it, pudding pushers want to be able to say they are married but what does it really matter. Is it for tax purposes, discounts on insurance, what. It's not like one of you is going to give birth and the child is a bastard because you aren't married.
    I agree if the catholic church doesn't want to recognize it than that is their choice. I'm sure there are religions that will recognize it if you truly need to have a piece of paper saying you are married.
    Good for her for answering the question honestly. My only problem with it is here apologizing for her opinion.

There is a whole laundry list of reasons. If you are a couple with mutual property but are not legally married, the legal ramifications should a death occur are huge. If a person is ill, you are not consider family to visit in intensive care. Insurance will not cover someone unless they are legally related. Lots and lots of reasons.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by loveevhsince79 View Post
    There is a whole laundry list of reasons. If you are a couple with mutual property but are not legally married, the legal ramifications should a death occur are huge. If a person is ill, you are not consider family to visit in intensive care. Insurance will not cover someone unless they are legally related. Lots and lots of reasons.
    not the least of which is a desire to have your profoundly deep and lasting feelings certified in the same way that straight couples have their relationships. Why did any of us get married? Was it for the legal/tax related convenience? Was it so we could get into the hospital room? Was it so we couple put them on our birth certificate? By and large, most of us got married because we came to a point where we want to say to the world and to our partner, "this is it. This is for real. I love you more than I'll ever love anyone else and more than I love myself and I want it to be 'official.'"

Now then, if you're gay, and you were brought up baptist and you've met your soulmate and want to be married in your childhood church and they say "no....hell no." Well, tough shit for you. Looks like you need to keep looking for a place and for a minister. If you're a lesbian and you want a traditional catholic wedding...yeah, well...good luck. It is entirely the perogative of the religious group to determine their own beliefs and practices and if some religions want to bless, recognize and officiate gay marriages they should and if some don't, they shouldn't have to and each side is free to catch whatever praise or criticisms their decisions garner. That's life.

I think it is highly intrusive of a government that is already trampeling all over our private lives, decisions and choices, to involve themselves in determining who can and can't get married and I don't accept the argument that "well, marriage was defined as a man and a woman forever and all of the sudden they want us to change!" because that same argument was used for all sorts of stupid shit...slavery comes to mind pretty quickly, as does women's rights.

let the gays marry. What business is it of our's? They aren't telling us we have to marry someone of the same sex, I don't see why we need to tell them to marry someone of the opposite sex.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.