Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default got to check out a sterling by musicman ax40 guitars

my friend order two of those new sterling by musicman ax40 guitars.he has the old EVH version and he has a new axis as well as the olp with the floating floyd.i got to check it out the other night for a couple of minutes when i was meating him to go to the jeff beck concert..its a very very nice guitar!!!the top was nicer than the top on his axis.the hardware all seems more on par with whats on the axis,and not like the olp...to me the olp was nice but cheap,kind of like a toy.this is way more on par with the axis,every aspect.i have to say i love the neck,it feels better than the axis as well....

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmf5150 View Post
    my friend order two of those new sterling by musicman ax40 guitars.he has the old EVH version and he has a new axis as well as the olp with the floating floyd.i got to check it out the other night for a couple of minutes when i was meating him to go to the jeff beck concert..its a very very nice guitar!!!the top was nicer than the top on his axis.the hardware all seems more on par with whats on the axis,and not like the olp...to me the olp was nice but cheap,kind of like a toy.this is way more on par with the axis,every aspect.i have to say i love the neck,it feels better than the axis as well....
    Must be a REAL nice ax40, or a real crappy AXIS.
    Is the neck width/contour the same as the Axis?
    What do you mean by "better".

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the top he got on the ax40 was awsome,i was very impressed.i only held the neck in my hand for a few minuted before we had to leave for the concert.the neck just felt better than his axis,felt more worn it,if that makes sense.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Stan.
    The ax40 is definately a guitar I'd like to play for myself.
    If the neck is anything like the AXIS, I'm sure it'll be a big seller.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah,i was shocked by it.much nicer than i expected.

Favorite VH Album

vh 2
    Last Online

01.21.17 @ 04:23 AM
    Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

Sterling Specs

The AX40 Electric Guitar has a bound basswood body with a beautiful quilted maple top, an asymmetrical neck profile, Sterling tremolo bridge, Zebra humbucking pickups, and chrome tuners. Includes gig bag.
    Basswood body with creme binding, tummy contour
    Quilted maple veneer top
    Sterling double-locking tremolo
    Locking nut
    25-1/2" scale
    Maple neck with asymmetrical neck carve
    5 bolt Music Man-designed neck joint
    Maple fingerboard
    22 medium jumbo frets
    1.63" (41.5mm) nut width
    2 Sterling A5 zebra humbuckers
    3-way selector
    Music Man-designed hardtail bridge
    Spoke wheel truss rod adjustment
    Music Man 4+2 headstock
    Chrome locking tuners
    Sterling by Music Man gig bag

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

They mustve changed the specs. I distinctly remember being disappointed they weren't going to have a hardtail w/ maple fb. SCHWEET
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

Looking into getting one of these, does anyone have any more input?
    There are only two sales reps in my state, so I'll have to buy online....which always makes me weary.

Thanks,
    Lode
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

All of them!
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/ Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

04.08.16 @ 04:20 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

The maple "veneer" top is what dissapoints me. I know that keeps the cost down but I would pay an additional $50-100 for a thicket top.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by smme5150 View Post
    The maple "veneer" top is what dissapoints me. I know that keeps the cost down but I would pay an additional $50-100 for a thicket top.

How's the playability compared to say, a Wolfgang special ? Are these better or worse than the Wolfie EXP's?
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

I love them all, even VH III
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls is up there.
    Last Online

05.05.10 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm going to pick one up later today at Musician's Friend. Everything I've read makes me believe that this is to the MM Axis what the Wolfgang Special was to the Wolfgang, and if that's the case, it will be a killer guitar.... The WG special I had was the best guitar I've ever owned.... Until I stepped on the neck.... Don't ask.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Yeah, broke down and bought one online yesterday, should be here on Wednesday. I'll give a review after I've had a few days with it.

Came across one bad review online, but it was sooo bad compared to everyone elses, I got the impression his wasn't an unbiased opinion. Most everyone gives it an above average to stellar review, especially relating to it's cost.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I thought I'd interject my impressions on the Sterling.

I've owned the EBMM/EVH some Axis's, Peavey Wolfgang Standards and Specials, and a Peavey Wolfgang EXP.

I've played the OLPs, and AX40s.

I want to start by saying that nobody should be left with the impression that the Sterling line is equal to, or better than any EBMM USA guitar. One could argue that the neck feels better in their hands, but the quality of the products are nowhere near one another.

The AX40 is more on par with the Wolfgang EXP, so I'll compare the two of those. both the AX40, and the Wolfgang EXP are both similar in construction, with basswood bodies, and quilt veneer tops. Just a quick note about the AX40. I contacted Pat Park regarding the construction of the bodies on the AX40 compared to the Axis. I asked him if the veneer would be over 1/8th inch of maple. He said that the veneer is put right onto the Basswood. This is one major difference between construction of the EBMM and Sterling models that will effect the tone. Anyway, back to the Wolf EXP vs. AX40. The veneer tops on all the AX40s that I've seen are beautiful, and I believe Sterling does a better job on the tops than Peavey did on the EXP. The necks are both finished necks, although they are made to feel like unfinished necks. I think the AX40 also does a little better job in that area. The Wolf EXP used a Floyd Rose II lisenced trem, which uses a softer metal baseplate, with hardened steel inserts at the trem posts. The AX40 is using a Lisenced Floyd design that uses a hardened steel baseplate, much like the OFR. It seems to be a good quality copy, and much better than the Floyd II. The construction of both guitars is very good. The workmanship on the necks and bodies on the production line is great. I have to give a slight edge to the Peavey EXP for electronic components, final assembly and setup. I've come across more than one AX40 that was not set up properly from the factory. Most of them have the trem not level with the body. Most of the time, it is due to too thick of a neck shim. I've seen it the other way too, where the trem posts are all the way down, cocking the trem forward, and the action was still high. Once the proper amount of shimming of the neck is done, and it's set up, it plays great, but that's something I never experienced with the Wolf EXP. The AX40 also does not screw the pickup legs directly to the wood. There is a slight shim between the feet of the pickup legs, and the body. I assume this is to make it easier to change out your pickups to different types.

I think you could be happy with either guitar. Both guitars could be great with some modifications. On the Wolfgang EXP, I would yank the Floyd II, and install a Floyd Rose Special, or a Ping. On the AX40, I would gut all the electronics, and install a Tone Zone/Air Norton combo, CTS Pot, and Switchcraft 3-way switch and jack. I'd probably leave the Floyd, but I might change that out too.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

I love them all, even VH III
    Favorite VH Song

Beautiful Girls is up there.
    Last Online

05.05.10 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I thought I'd interject my impressions on the Sterling.

I've owned the EBMM/EVH some Axis's, Peavey Wolfgang Standards and Specials, and a Peavey Wolfgang EXP.

I've played the OLPs, and AX40s.

I want to start by saying that nobody should be left with the impression that the Sterling line is equal to, or better than any EBMM USA guitar. One could argue that the neck feels better in their hands, but the quality of the products are nowhere near one another.

The AX40 is more on par with the Wolfgang EXP, so I'll compare the two of those. both the AX40, and the Wolfgang EXP are both similar in construction, with basswood bodies, and quilt veneer tops. Just a quick note about the AX40. I contacted Pat Park regarding the construction of the bodies on the AX40 compared to the Axis. I asked him if the veneer would be over 1/8th inch of maple. He said that the veneer is put right onto the Basswood. This is one major difference between construction of the EBMM and Sterling models that will effect the tone. Anyway, back to the Wolf EXP vs. AX40. The veneer tops on all the AX40s that I've seen are beautiful, and I believe Sterling does a better job on the tops than Peavey did on the EXP. The necks are both finished necks, although they are made to feel like unfinished necks. I think the AX40 also does a little better job in that area. The Wolf EXP used a Floyd Rose II lisenced trem, which uses a softer metal baseplate, with hardened steel inserts at the trem posts. The AX40 is using a Lisenced Floyd design that uses a hardened steel baseplate, much like the OFR. It seems to be a good quality copy, and much better than the Floyd II. The construction of both guitars is very good. The workmanship on the necks and bodies on the production line is great. I have to give a slight edge to the Peavey EXP for electronic components, final assembly and setup. I've come across more than one AX40 that was not set up properly from the factory. Most of them have the trem not level with the body. Most of the time, it is due to too thick of a neck shim. I've seen it the other way too, where the trem posts are all the way down, cocking the trem forward, and the action was still high. Once the proper amount of shimming of the neck is done, and it's set up, it plays great, but that's something I never experienced with the Wolf EXP. The AX40 also does not screw the pickup legs directly to the wood. There is a slight shim between the feet of the pickup legs, and the body. I assume this is to make it easier to change out your pickups to different types.

I think you could be happy with either guitar. Both guitars could be great with some modifications. On the Wolfgang EXP, I would yank the Floyd II, and install a Floyd Rose Special, or a Ping. On the AX40, I would gut all the electronics, and install a Tone Zone/Air Norton combo, CTS Pot, and Switchcraft 3-way switch and jack. I'd probably leave the Floyd, but I might change that out too.
    Great review!

I just bought a Sterling AX40 today, and it is as good as I had hoped... I thought I'd try my hand at installing the Drop-D Tuna, but no such luck.... I'm going to have my friend set it up and install the Tuna in the next couple of days.... I might swap out the pick ups at some point, but they are actually "ok".

The craftsmanship was very good, and I can't really tell much difference from this and my old Wolfie Special.... After playing it for hours tonight, I'd say that it is in fact to the EB Axis/Musicman what the Wolfgang Special was to the Wolfgang.

Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

One other option for the pickups could be the GFS VEH pickups that are sold at GuitarFetish.com.

You would get more of a Classic VH tone with those pickups, not like the Axis or the Wolfgang, but more like the Frankenstrat or Kramer.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.