Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Requiring photo ID in order to vote

So there's a lot of talk all over the country about requiring photo ID in order to cast a vote.

What do you guys think?

From what I gather there is a great opposition to this coming from minority and elderly advocacy groups because evidently, minorities and elderly don't have access or the ability to get photo ID. Old people tend to be, well, old, and unable to go drive or go to the DMV to have their photo taken. Minorities, well, because they're minorities evidently don't have the same kind of access to photo IDs that majorities have. They say that passing this as a law would not only keep these people from voting it would create disenfranchisement among them.

People who support the notion say tough shit...get a photo ID. If we need photo ID to buy sinus meds at the pharmacy then we should have to give photo ID to cast a ballot. They say it will cut down on voter fraud because candidates wouldn't be able to scour a ghetto, register a bunch of people to vote, collect their cards and send interns to vote for them. There is great debate as to whether or not this happens on any widescale basis.

Something to keep in mind: absentee voters which include a number of elderly and military. How would they be effected by this?

Discuss
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I had to show my photo ID for the election in November. If you didn't have a photo ID, you didn't get in. I think it's a good idea, but I don't know how it it would effect absentee voters, and I know quite a few in my family use that option because of their advanced ages.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:56 AM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

I see no problem with requiring it. I have always had to show a photo ID when I vote.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

10.16.17 @ 11:43 AM
    Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

I had to show my ID...but I think if I had my voter's registration card I wouldn't have had to.
    "Here's to swimmin' with bow legged women."
    Quint- Boat Captain
    --------------------------------------------------

"As God as my witness...I thought turkeys could fly"
    Arthur Carlson- Radio Station GM
    --------------------------------------------------

"I think you're all fucked in the head. We're ten hours from the fucking fun park, and you wanna bail out! Well, I'll tell you something, this is no longer a vacation . . . it's a quest! It's a quest for fun! I'm gonna have fun, and you're gonna have fun! We're all gonna have so much fucking fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our Goddamn smiles! You'll be whistling Zip-a-dee-doo-da out of your assholes! "
    Clark W. Griswold- Food Additive Designer
    ---------------------------------------------------

VIVA TEXAS LINKERS WEEKEND!
    Round I = Done!
    Round II = Done!
    Round III = Done!
    Round IV = Done!
    Round V = Done!
    Round VI = Done!
    Round VII = Done!
    Round VIII = Done!

Favorite VH Album

Women & Children First
    Favorite VH Song

Fools/All things Halenized
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 11:33 PM
    Liked 29 Times in 14 Posts

Donor

Yeah why don't they issue voter registration cards? I wouldn't have a prob showing pic ID. I think it's a good idea.
    RIP - Classic Van Halen

"A lot of people take Van Halen more seriously than we do." The Diamond One

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wonder if this will eventually morph into a push for national ID cards. It's something that gets mentioned every once in a while and gets swept away among cries of outrage from evangelicals, conservatives and minorities alike.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

WACF, Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Unchained, HB
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

OK, maybe I'm just ignorant, but why would it be hard for minorities to get a photo ID? If it's legal for you to live here, you should be able to get one with no problem, right? Can't you just get one at the Secretary of State office or something?
    "Hey, thanks for the bracelet! Was that one for me?" - Michael Anthony to me in the Golden Ring in Grand Rapids, MI July 9, 2004
    July 9, 2004 - Mike pressed a guitar pick into my hand!
    "We're in the right place!" EVH @ The Joe in Detroit, July 10, 2004
    "Hey! What's up!?" - Mikey, upon recognizing me in the Golden Ring in Chicago after getting his second bracelet, July 21, 2004
    "What is uuuuuuuuuup!!!???" - Mike to me in Detroit, May 12th, 2005, after receiving third bracelet.
    "You found me again!" - Mike to me in Detroit, Nov. 2, 2007

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

If you can travel to vote, you can travel to the DMV for an ID. You don't have legal identification, tough shit, you can't prove you're a citizen and allowed to vote.

I'm not sure why this is even a debate.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

the next one!
    Last Online

03.11.12 @ 12:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    If you can travel to vote, you can travel to the DMV for an ID. You don't have legal identification, tough shit, you can't prove you're a citizen and allowed to vote.

I'm not sure why this is even a debate.
    Exactly. No ID, no vote.
    And, yeah Broken, they DO scour the ghettos, get their info, and SOMEONE votes...whether its that person or not, I dont know.
    Dirty politics is a way of life here in Philadelphia. Doesnt matter if youre registered, a citizen, or even alive, you've got a vote (or 4 or 5) in Philly!
    "Look, I'll pay you for it, what the f**k?!"

"If I don't make her happy in the bedroom the wife gets bitchy for days at a time, but when I come to bed ready for action she laughs and laughs. She even laughs while I make my moves so I know I must be pleasing her as only I can do."
    The one, the only..Wengie

"Denny Crane" - Denny Crane

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ok, so it seems, thus far, everyone is pretty much in favour of requiring standard photo id in order to vote.

My question now becomes this: What about absentee voting? How could we ensure that absentee votes aren't being cast fraudulently?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

I donno...what a bout requiring texts, or proof of property ownership next?

on the surface this appears to be a good idea; however, it is too close to what has happened in our recent past to deny the vote to groups...and dening the vote to the elderly...the elderly my and large are make up the largest group of active voters in the country....why would anyone want that to change....hmmmmnnnn.
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    I donno...what a bout requiring texts, or proof of property ownership next?

on the surface this appears to be a good idea; however, it is too close to what has happened in our recent past to deny the vote to groups...and dening the vote to the elderly...the elderly my and large are make up the largest group of active voters in the country....why would anyone want that to change....hmmmmnnnn.
    i get what you're saying and I certainly can understand the notion of mindful of the possible...wait for it...slippery slope...but, what is it about being eldery that prevents someone from having id? Do they reach a certain age and lose it? Have it revoked? How do they handle other aspects of their life that require proving who they are?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

In '04, I tried to show them my voter registration card, and the guy acted like I had lost my mind.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Constantly Changes
    Last Online

05.23.17 @ 01:16 PM
    Liked 200 Times in 123 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    i get what you're saying and I certainly can understand the notion of mindful of the possible...wait for it...slippery slope...but, what is it about being eldery that prevents someone from having id? Do they reach a certain age and lose it? Have it revoked? How do they handle other aspects of their life that require proving who they are?

Well...I don't know...I suspect that a great number of people over 65 or 70 no longer drive, and a driver's license is the single most accepted form of picture identification...my Mother uses her passport, as do alot of her friends...but I really don't know.

I'm not comfortable with the local, state, or federal government having more requirements to vote...a voter registration card should be all that one needs...wasn't it just in the 90s that the polls were opened to same day voter registration...without a picture I.D. all that you needed was a bill, Birth Cert, or Social Security card...how did we, as a society go from there in the 90s to now considering a photo ID to vote?
    "Always hopeful, yet discontent,
    He knows changes aren't permanent
    But change is!"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,239 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by wombattt View Post
    Well...I don't know...I suspect that a great number of people over 65 or 70 no longer drive, and a driver's license is the single most accepted form of picture identification...my Mother uses her passport, as do alot of her friends...but I really don't know.

I'm not comfortable with the local, state, or federal government having more requirements to vote...a voter registration card should be all that one needs...wasn't it just in the 90s that the polls were opened to same day voter registration...without a picture I.D. all that you needed was a bill, Birth Cert, or Social Security card...how did we, as a society go from there in the 90s to now considering a photo ID to vote?
    Because those things are faked so easily by illegal immigrants. SS cards are so easy to buy down south, it's laughable.

You're never going to have a perfect system, but everyone has an ID. You can obtain an ID without being a driver. There's absolutely no excuse that is reasonable to explain why someone shouldn't have a photo ID but is capable of voting.

As someone stated earlier in this thread, how do those people buy their prescriptions?

Look, requiring a photo ID is common sense and is a far cry from showing property ownership or charging polling taxes. Given the amount of illegal aliens in the country and the amount of corruption in voter registration, casting ballots, etc., there is every reason to make sure that the person voting is who they say they are.

Nobody is being disenfranchised from their vote here. The same people that can't vote because they don't have their picture ID are the same assholes that show up to their polling place in the ghetto screaming that they have the right to vote but were too lazy to register.

Everyone would have plenty of notice to know they need the ID to vote, but some people will still find an excuse for why "the man" is keeping them down.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.