Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Default Tax Day Tea Parties

Anyone going to one of these?

http://www.taxdayteaparty.com

Just curious as to what everyone thinks of these. It seems like there is wide support for these demonstrations.

The real question is: Will they accomplish anything?
    Last edited by bsbll4; 04.15.09 at 10:40 AM.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.07.17 @ 12:54 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Obama's ACORNhole Militia has plans...

ACORN, HuffPo Organizing Efforts to Infiltrate Tax Day Tea Parties
    FNC's Cavuto says efforts underway to make protests appear as 'fringe-group efforts' and in some cases as 'racist undertakings.'

Acts of protest tend to be synonymous with the left and are usually considered unsurprising on the right. However, when conservatives demonstrate – liberals take notice in a big way.

On Fox News Channel’s April 7 “Your World,” host Neil Cavuto reported that the Tax Day tea party protests on April 15 will be “infiltrated” by their political opponents and led by left-wing activist organizations. He specifically named Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN).

“Only eight days before a nationwide tea party, some over-caffeinated crashers aiming to lay waste to it,” Cavuto said. “Reports of very well-organized infiltrators trying to mix in and rain on this parade. Talk about taxing.”

One organizer, Mark Meckler of the Sacramento Tea Party, dismissed the counter efforts and said they were to be expected.

“We don’t take them seriously at all, and I’ll tell you why,” “It’s not that they don’t exist – we expect people to attempt to infiltrate,” Meckler said. “We expect people to attempt to disturb what we are doing, but the reality is that this is a very broad-based grassroots movement. There is no leader at the top. There is no individual event that they can disturb that would cause us a problem nationwide.”

Meckler explained that everyone was invited – even if they come to promote a philosophy that runs counter to what the tea party movement is attempting to convey.

“So also, the people – we trust the grassroots,” Meckler continued. “We know, the people are skeptical of anyone approaching at these events, and we believe that people are going to handle it well. And in fact, we invite everybody to come to our events. We don’t care if they are from ACORN, The Huffington Post or the Daily Kos. We want them all there. We’re excited to have them attend.”

In fact, The Huffington Post has even set up a Web site for so-called citizen journalists to infiltrate the protests.

“The Huffington Post wants to have citizen journalists at as many of these events as possible,” Arthur Delaney wrote for The Huffington Post on April 7. “If you think you'd be interested in attending one of the Tea Parties and reporting back to us with dispatches, photos, or video, click here to sign up. We'll contact you shortly with further instructions.”

If you sign-up, you receive an automated message from Matthew Palevsky, the Huffington Post’s associate editor of citizen journalism.

“Thanks for becoming a Tea Party Reporter,” the e-mail from Palevsky says. “This e-mail is just a quick confirmation that we have received your contact info and will email you our plans during the coming week. In the meantime, we'd love to hear your thoughts. Whether they be questions, suggestions or story ideas, share them with us at submissions+ideas@ huffingtonpost.com.”

John O’Hara, organizer of the Chicago Tea Party said he wasn’t worried either about these sorts of efforts and specifically named ACORN, calling them out of touch with mainstream America.

“Neil, I’m not worried about it at all,” O’Hara said. “This is a genuine grassroots movement. If ACORN wants to send some of their paid, pretend activists to show up – that’s fine. They don’t have a message that resonates with the American people or resonates with this broad coalition that’s upset with this spending that’s going on in Washington.”

Cavuto explained the early reports of the “so-called infiltration plan” were an attempt to make it look like fringe-group efforts and in some case appears as a “racist undertaking.”

“The people understand what these movements are about,” Meckler said. “The people who are involved understand that they’re not racist. They are not fringe. They’re not even partisan. I mean, these are events where we have people across the board – Democrats, Republicans, conservatives, liberals, Libertarians – you name it.”
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.08.17 @ 02:16 PM
    Liked 2,206 Times in 1,111 Posts

Premium Member

Nice. The same ACORN that just received millions of dollars in "stimulus."

That is exactly what these protests are about. Bullshit government spending.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 2,379 Times in 1,485 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post

They got a billion. If it was on a weekend I would have went .
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Donor

I'm going tonight.

Statehouse in Columbus @ 6pm.

I'll be exercising my first and second amendment rights at the same time.

I don't really care how the mainstream media tries to portray us, whatever..........
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Ever heard the term..."Don't bite the hand that feeds you"?
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    They got a billion. If it was on a weekend I would have went .

Just FYI....there's already a few larger, more centrally located ones in the works for July 4th weekend....possibly a huge one in DC itself.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The real question is: Will they accomplish anything?
    sadly...no.

Government doesn't give a rats ass how many people get together and hold signs up and chant. What good did protests do to bring troops home from Iraq?

Since when has government give a crap about what people think?

What's more, the people that go to these things are, for the most part, already voters.

Now, if we could galvanize 50% of the people who DON'T VOTE in state and national elections to vote for a third party, ANY of them, then maybe something good would come of people expressing their opinions or displaying their displeasure with the manner in which government is squandering our money.

Honestly? Do you really think they care? Republican and Democrat politicians alike will spin these little parties into something that justifies their personal actions and platforms. Half the people watching the news tomorrow will go "YEAH!!" and the other half will go "BASTARD" and that's it.

It'll just give us something new to use as the starting point for the same old conversations about what is wrong with this country.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    sadly...no.

Government doesn't give a rats ass how many people get together and hold signs up and chant. What good did protests do to bring troops home from Iraq?

Since when has government give a crap about what people think?

What's more, the people that go to these things are, for the most part, already voters.

Now, if we could galvanize 50% of the people who DON'T VOTE in state and national elections to vote for a third party, ANY of them, then maybe something good would come of people expressing their opinions or displaying their displeasure with the manner in which government is squandering our money.

Honestly? Do you really think they care? Republican and Democrat politicians alike will spin these little parties into something that justifies their personal actions and platforms. Half the people watching the news tomorrow will go "YEAH!!" and the other half will go "BASTARD" and that's it.

It'll just give us something new to use as the starting point for the same old conversations about what is wrong with this country.

So where does it start ? Real change . What are we to do ? Just sit idely by and allow it to continue ?

I think you're under-estimating the amount of support there is for this on a grass-roots level.

They'll care eventually, when they start getting voted out !
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post
    So where does it start ? Real change . What are we to do ? Just sit idely by and allow it to continue ?

I think you're under-estimating the amount of support there is for this on a grass-roots level.

I agree with ya, but you have to consider this...what is the ratio of those who are currently on the gov't tit in any fashion to those who want gov't to change. I fear we are rapidly approaching, or have already eclipsed, the point where those getting entitlements from Uncle Sam are going to speak louder at the polls as to who stays and who goes in gov't.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Lodewijk View Post

that's just it, they're NOT getting voted out and when they are they are replaced by a carbon copy of themselves, just from the "other side of the aisle."

Our political system is broken. Want to fix it? Get just half of the people who DON'T VOTE to vote for a third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth party candidate. Get just HALF of the people who don't vote to write in NON-POLITICIANS as their choice for mayor, governor, comptroller, state rep, congressman, senator and president.

That's the only real message we can send: that we will not tolerate business as usual.

Trading democrats for republicans and then vice versa a few years later IS NOT CHANGE.

We have to break people of their high school like alligience to the republican and democratic parties because it is that sort of blind fascism that has allowed both parties to simply go along doing what they will without adhering to the basic tenents of our constitution and declaration of independence all in the name of self-preservation.

They would like us to believe otherwise. Each party would have us believe that they stand for something but BOTH parties are part of the same monster. They just pander to a different group of people so they can keep going along doing what they're doing.

You want change? Create a situation where the two-party system collapses. You want change? Get your entire city to simply NOT pay their electricity bill. You want change? Get you entire city to NOT shop ANYWHERE for a week. You want change? Get you entire to city to disconnect their cable service for 2 months.
    You want change? Get your entire state to simply NOT renew their car registration.

Drastic economic boycots and strikes will send shivers down ever layer of government. MASSIVE VOTER TURNOUT and VOTES FOR ALTERNATIVE CANDIDATES will bring the government to its knees.

Our current system of government is built upon a societal foundation of disinterest and a lack of courage. It is built upon belief in republicans and democrats. It is built upon acceptance of what they tell us and an acceptance that there is no other way.

So what if people get a little riled up and "demonstrate?" It's not a beginning to anything unless something follows it.

So what? People are going to go to the tea parties...shout a little, drink a little, smoke a little and then go home with a bit of a headache and a sense that they've done their civic duty and embraced the spirit of Thomas Payne. Then what? They're going to turn on the cable news network, chests full puffed up, and slip right back into the same bullshit.

You want change? Well...change something.

I can't change crap by myself. If I dont' pay my electric bill they turn off my lights. If 4 million of us do that, well, then we bankrupt the goddamn power company or they change the way they do business.

I vote for a third party and it means nothing. 100 million people vote for third party people and damn...now we're talking.

But millions of us sit here and bitch...well, nothing is going to change. Whether we bitch online in a chat room or discussion board or we bitch at the local park with a sign in our hands...it's still the same shit.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    I agree with ya, but you have to consider this...what is the ratio of those who are currently on the gov't tit in any fashion to those who want gov't to change. I fear we are rapidly approaching, or have already eclipsed, the point where those getting entitlements from Uncle Sam are going to speak louder at the polls as to who stays and who goes in gov't.
    I wouldn't be so sure.......there's enough people out there that just didn't vote because they weren't happy with either presidential candidate or choices for local representatives. And also those that will eventually feel duped by campaign promises not kept on both sides of the aisle, they'll decide to go the other way.

I'm still holding out hope for a viable 3rd or 4th party candidate, just to get a better flow of ideas. The entire system, top to bottom, needs a good shaking up.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:47 AM
    Liked 4,787 Times in 2,441 Posts

Premium Member

I agree with Broken's comments (seems like I have been doing that alot lately) that under the current rules, no amount of protest is going to change a thing.

However here is a simple way of changing business. Remove all political parties. No allegiance to litmus tests over country or your personal beliefs. The biggest obstacle to any progress is the Democrat and Republican party. Once that is done, put a two term limit on Senators and four term on the House. No more career politicians.

We cannot continue with a two party system, otherwise we are doomed. I don't believe that any party system should be allowed because it was not the primary intent of our founding fathers.

Last order of business would be to send Pelosi off somewhere where she can never be heard of again.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    that's just it, they're NOT getting voted out and when they are they are replaced by a carbon copy of themselves, just from the "other side of the aisle."

Our political system is broken. Want to fix it? Get just half of the people who DON'T VOTE to vote for a third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh and eighth party candidate. Get just HALF of the people who don't vote to write in NON-POLITICIANS as their choice for mayor, governor, comptroller, state rep, congressman, senator and president.

That's the only real message we can send: that we will not tolerate business as usual.

Trading democrats for republicans and then vice versa a few years later IS NOT CHANGE.

We have to break people of their high school like alligience to the republican and democratic parties because it is that sort of blind fascism that has allowed both parties to simply go along doing what they will without adhering to the basic tenents of our constitution and declaration of independence all in the name of self-preservation.

They would like us to believe otherwise. Each party would have us believe that they stand for something but BOTH parties are part of the same monster. They just pander to a different group of people so they can keep going along doing what they're doing.

You want change? Create a situation where the two-party system collapses. You want change? Get your entire city to simply NOT pay their electricity bill. You want change? Get you entire city to NOT shop ANYWHERE for a week. You want change? Get you entire to city to disconnect their cable service for 2 months.
    You want change? Get your entire state to simply NOT renew their car registration.

Drastic economic boycots and strikes will send shivers down ever layer of government. MASSIVE VOTER TURNOUT and VOTES FOR ALTERNATIVE CANDIDATES will bring the government to its knees.

Our current system of government is built upon a societal foundation of disinterest and a lack of courage. It is built upon belief in republicans and democrats. It is built upon acceptance of what they tell us and an acceptance that there is no other way.

So what if people get a little riled up and "demonstrate?" It's not a beginning to anything unless something follows it.

So what? People are going to go to the tea parties...shout a little, drink a little, smoke a little and then go home with a bit of a headache and a sense that they've done their civic duty and embraced the spirit of Thomas Payne. Then what? They're going to turn on the cable news network, chests full puffed up, and slip right back into the same bullshit.

You want change? Well...change something.

I can't change crap by myself. If I dont' pay my electric bill they turn off my lights. If 4 million of us do that, well, then we bankrupt the goddamn power company or they change the way they do business.

I vote for a third party and it means nothing. 100 million people vote for third party people and damn...now we're talking.

But millions of us sit here and bitch...well, nothing is going to change. Whether we bitch online in a chat room or discussion board or we bitch at the local park with a sign in our hands...it's still the same shit.

So sitting around and just accepting that nothing will change helps how ?

We have to get the word out somehow. I've written letters to my representatives like a good boy, I haven't signed up for any government assistance, although I'm probably just as entitled as my neighbors. I'm trying to do my part.

You're right in your thinking that it'll take more than a few tea parties to enact any change, but we've got to empty both barrels. Anything and everything, short of bombing buildings, should be on the table. It's going to take alot of work, but it can be done.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysmalls View Post
    I agree with Broken's comments (seems like I have been doing that alot lately) that under the current rules, no amount of protest is going to change a thing.

However here is a simple way of changing business. Remove all political parties. No allegiance to litmus tests over country or your personal beliefs. The biggest obstacle to any progress is the Democrat and Republican party. Once that is done, put a two term limit on Senators and four term on the House. No more career politicians.

We cannot continue with a two party system, otherwise we are doomed. I don't believe that any party system should be allowed because it was not the primary intent of our founding fathers.

Last order of business would be to send Pelosi off somewhere where she can never be heard of again.
    I'm all over that...force people to stand on their own merrits. I'm also all over forcing everyone out of office after a couple of terms and NOT providing them with pensions. Take away every incentive possible to actually get into office so that they ONLY incentive is doing something for your community and your nation. Where I come from we call it "a give-away." Doing something for others with no expectation or desire of receiving anything in return.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.