Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Default Kramer 5150 color?

I'm close to starting a 5150 Kramer replica. I found lots of info but actually getting my hands on a can of paint is giving me trouble. Dupli-color should be everywhere. But online, I can't find it. Wal-mart, pepboys, Autozone, etc. Might be in a store but its not online. And which color is the best red by Dupli-color?

Looks like I'm gonna go with Reranch Fiesta red. Which Reranch white? Olympic?

So I'm looking for some input please. Which rattle cans are best? Which colors are closest? And where can I buy them? I'd prefer a store as I'm all about instant gratification. Hate waiting for the mail! But price might factor too. Reranch appears cheeper than Duplicolor. At least on Amazon. So I'm leaning towards Reranch.

Thanks!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    I'm close to starting a 5150 Kramer replica. I found lots of info but actually getting my hands on a can of paint is giving me trouble. Dupli-color should be everywhere. But online, I can't find it. Wal-mart, pepboys, Autozone, etc. Might be in a store but its not online. And which color is the best red by Dupli-color?

So I'm looking for some input please. Which rattle cans are best? Which colors are closest? And where can I buy them? I'd prefer a store as I'm all about instant gratification. Hate waiting for the mail! But price might factor too. Reranch appears cheeper than Duplicolor. At least on Amazon. So I'm leaning towards Reranch.

Thanks!
    I'm surprised you are having so much trouble finding Duplicolor. Reranch appears to be the best choice for you though. As for white, Olympic should be fine. Just keep in mind that whatever white you choose, try to go with the warmer (yellower) shade if possible. Not cream, but slightly off pure white. Some whites actually lean toward a bluish tone, which tend to make the contrast to harsh.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Thanks!
    The re-ranch stuff is what I used on mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Eruption
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 10:09 AM
    Liked 109 Times in 70 Posts

It's been said many times before, but just in case, whatever paint you decide to use, DO NOT MIX BRANDS!!! Stick with the same manufacturer throughout your project or you could experience disastrous adverse chemical reactions due to the variations in paint formulas.
    WGAF?!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jimi11580 View Post
    It's been said many times before, but just in case, whatever paint you decide to use, DO NOT MIX BRANDS!!! Stick with the same manufacturer throughout your project or you could experience disastrous adverse chemical reactions due to the variations in paint formulas.
    Very good point. Does'nt matter if it's been mentioned before. I made that mistake once on a guitar that sounded great, but had some big gashes in the top. I repaired the damage, sealed it with sanding sealer, then I intended to use a high build primer in acrylic, and then do the finish in acrylic also. I even went to the extra effort of trying to make sure the active ingedients were very close. They were...but they were different brands. They were out of the same brand primer, and I was impatient. Big mistake! I applied the high build, let it dry overnight, sanded and repeated a couple more times, and it did a great job of leveling the damage to the top after sanding. Then I dusted over with the metallic tranluscent red.(Very close to the old Kramer Met. red) Great so far. I waited as per instructions, 20 min. tack time upon final coat, then to apply clear. OMFG The paint went completely orange peel within five minutes. Looked actually like I had just applied stripper on it. Turned out the solvent in the clear was very agressive, and when it was applied it reacted as it should with the base, but in addition it also ate the the primer. It was a horrible mess to fix. it never actually dried so it was like trying to remove melted rubber from cavities and inside of the horns. Hours of scraping. Not fun!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    I'm surprised you are having so much trouble finding Duplicolor. Reranch appears to be the best choice for you though. As for white, Olympic should be fine. Just keep in mind that whatever white you choose, try to go with the warmer (yellower) shade if possible. Not cream, but slightly off pure white. Some whites actually lean toward a bluish tone, which tend to make the contrast to harsh.
    Well, i haven't actually set foot in a store. But, online searches of stores that should carry it show no matches. Maybe I'll stop by Autozone...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well, i haven't actually set foot in a store. But, online searches of stores that should carry it show no matches. Maybe I'll stop by Autozone...
    Autozone should have it. If not, try looking at some smaller independantly owned autoparts stores, or even hardware stores. I don't think home depot or Lowes would have anything. They're mainly Krylon type acrylics, or Tremclad metal paints. Let us know how you make out.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hobby Lobby, Autozone, and Advance Auto all carry duplicolor. (usually)

Last Online

Just came from Autozone. They have it. Not sure why online store couldn't find it. But it's like $6 a can and I get to touch it and buy it. Not wait a week for Reranch to show up in the mail.

White looked good, at least the plastic top of the can did. How is the red? Is it too "red" for a 5150 replica? What's the best paint brand for this?

Thanks for all the quick replies!

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just came from Autozone. They have it. Not sure why online store couldn't find it. But it's like $6 a can and I get to touch it and buy it. Not wait a week for Reranch to show up in the mail.

White looked good, at least the plastic top of the can did. How is the red? Is it too "red" for a 5150 replica? What's the best paint brand for this?

Thanks for all the quick replies!
    I liked Cardinal red, especially if I used Re Ranch tinted clear over it (I have used it over Duplicolor with no ill effects) to give that 30 years of smoke look. I suggest using the smaller touch-up rattle sprays- that way, you're not totally lost with a big can. Buy several cans to come up with the right colour and spray onto scrap. Remember- it's easier to spray onto scrap and compare results than to use the completely wrong colour on the guitar and hate your work.

One other thing- I think the white was a bright white- it only aged with years of Eddie chain-smoking to look kinda yellow. I would suggest the Re Ranch tinted clear done subtly. But I don't sell my replicas, either. Go with what you trust on this.
    Last edited by bunnyman; 04.15.09 at 03:48 AM.
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!