Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Default The Harry Kalas in memorium thread

While primarily the Phillies announcer, Harry did so much more, whether it was NFL films or Campbell Chunky Soup commercials, I thought maybe he should deserve his own thread for those that will always remember his voice to pay their respects.

Phils broadcaster Kalas passes away
    Longtime announcer collapses before Monday's game

By Jeff Seidel / Special to MLB.com

04/13/09 1:40 PM ET

WASHINGTON -- Longtime Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas died at 1:20 p.m. ET on Monday, shortly after collapsing in the team's broadcast booth before the series opener against the Nationals.

"We lost Harry. I've been 39 years with the Phillies and 39 years with Harry and, as I said in this clubhouse, we lost our voice today," said team president and CEO David Montgomery at about 1:50 p.m. outside the team's clubhouse. "He has loved our game and made just a tremendous contribution to our sport and certainly to our organization."

The 73-year old Kalas was found in the team's broadcast booth around 12:30 p.m. and was taken to George Washington University Medical Center. Team officials quickly cleared the locker room and talked with the Phillies.

Montgomery said he didn't know the exact cause of death.

"I know that when they took him away that they were very concerned," he said.

Kalas had been the team's broadcaster for the past 38 years. Prior to that, he was a member of the Houston Astros' broadcast team from 1965-70. He received the 2002 Ford C. Frick Award, bestowed annually by the National Baseball Hall of Fame in the United States to a broadcaster for "major contributions to baseball."

Montgomery said Monday's game would be played, but that the Phillies were going to reach out to the White House and pass up Tuesday's scheduled trip there.

I probably knew Harry first from the NFL highlights, but I doubt I knew who he was. It wasn't until I started tuning into Phillies games after they moved over to WCAU, a station I could get at night up in Maine, that I got to discover Harry. His love for the game always shone through, and you could tell that he and Richie Ashburn were more than just coworkers. It's kind of sad that he only got to call two Phillies championships in his long career. Even now, I'd tune into a Phillies game on MLB.com game day audio just to hear that voice. Rest in Peace, Harry. Thanks for so many great memories.
    Last edited by billy007; 04.13.09 at 01:29 PM.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:23 PM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

I came here to post a link about Harry and was thrilled to see one already going. I am a life-long Phillies fan who grew up listening to Harry every summer. I fell asleep many nights to his voice. I am incredibly sad right now and can't imagine games without Harry. in 2000 I moved to Maine, but after sun down the huge signal of WPHT 1210 in Philly carries well into New England and I could still hear the Phillies games. Many probably don't know Harry's name, but they know his voice. The voice of a friend who was there every summer. I am so thankful he was at the mic last fall for the World Series' Championship.

Harry, you'll be missed.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

06.22.09 @ 09:03 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

R.I.P Harry the K You will be missed.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

R.I.P Harry. Man the Phillies did lose their voice today. Sad news.

Tributes to Harry Kalas
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 04.13.09 at 02:52 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:32 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

Sucks big time..he died in the booth with his boots on. RIP
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That mans voice was synonimous with the Phillies and summer for me my whole life. As far back as I can remember.
    As a little kid all the way till they won it last year.
    Glad the Phills gave that to em before he passed.
    Total Icon in the city of Philly.
    Listening to the Phillies will never be the same.
    Rest in Peace Harry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Favorite VH Album

All 14 of 'em (best ofs too)
    Favorite VH Song

I'll Wait / Feelin'
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 12:58 PM
    Liked 19 Times in 6 Posts

Im actually a little choked up over this. Cant believe he's gone. I spent my entire childhood listening to him call Phils games. He's a legend in Philly and will be missed greatly.
    "I didn't just drive a thousand goddamn miles on a motorcycle to watch some little girl prance around on stage" - Steve Morrison on if Justin Bieber performed at Sturgis Motorcycle Rally

-"I'd rather stick my junk into a freshly-slapped hornet's nest." LLFHS on banging Lindsay Lohan

Poster formerly known as Fiftyoneftfty

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

Default Phillies to host Kalas memorial service

from www.mlb.com:

By Todd Zolecki / MLB.com

04/18/09 2:22 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA -- Mike Schmidt is a legend in Philadelphia, but even he knows he is no Harry Kalas.

Nobody is.

Nobody ever will be.

"Harry Kalas -- he's household," Schmidt said Friday at Citizens Bank Park. "He's a household name. He's a guy they depended on for 40 years. I'm just a guy that played for 17 of them, just like all the other Phillies. We come and go. The guys there are here now, they're going to be gone. We're all going to move on. Harry was just always here. He was always here for you."

The Phillies honored Kalas, who died Monday at 73, before and during Friday's game against the Padres.

On Saturday, a memorial service for Kalas will be held from 8 a.m.-12:45 p.m. ET at Citizens Bank Park. A tribute program begins at 1:30 p.m. Fans can watch the tribute live on MLB.com and Phillies.com, beginning at 9:30 a.m. The Web sites will pick up coverage from Comcast beginning at noon.

Following Saturday's tribute, Comcast will replay Friday's game against the Padres.

A video tribute was shown on PhanaVision before Friday's game. Harry's three sons -- Todd, Brad and Kane -- threw first balls to Schmidt, John Kruk and Jimmy Rollins, who represented the last three decades of Phillies baseball with Kalas. There was a moment of silence before Kane sang the national anthem.

Rollins held a pair of Kalas' famous white shoes during the anthem. Chase Utley held Kalas' powder blue sport coat.

The first half-inning on Comcast Network Philadelphia was silent, with no commentary.

The Phillies painted Kalas' signature on the field for the seven-game homestand. A "HK" billboard is on the outfield wall in left-center field, which will be displayed the entire season. The Phillies' TV booth has been renamed the Harry Kalas Broadcast Booth.

The Phillies also plan to play Kalas' "Outta here!" call whenever a Phillies player homers at the Bank. It didn't take long to hear it, as Utley hit a three-run home run to right field in the first inning.

The Phils played a video of Kalas singing "High Hopes" during the seventh-inning stretch.

"If you can look past Ben Franklin and William Penn, he may have been the greatest person to grace Philadelphia in the history of the city, when you think about it," Schmidt said. "As many lives as he affected over the time that he lived in Philadelphia, who would have had a bigger impact on the city? Who would have? If anybody can think of somebody, I'm willing to hear it, but I don't know."

On Sunday at 12:30 p.m., there will be a special one-hour "Behind the Phillies" program, which honors Kalas.

All for Harry? When you're as big as Ben Franklin, absolutely.

I know there's no crying in baseball, but if I'd been at Citizens Bank Park last night, I probably would've broken that rule.

Eruption
    Last Online

07.04.12 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That was a cool read.
    Schmidty and Kalas were each others biggest fan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Talent is God Given, But Success is Hard Work"

www.ronscustomguitars.com

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

Love ya Harry. You are the best.
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:57 AM
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

Donor

RIP Harry
    "What we are dealing with here, is a complete lack of respect for the law" - Jackie Gleason, Smokey and the Bandit

www.geocaching.com - The site where you are the search engine.