Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 255
  1. #1
    On Fire killerq's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    403
    Favorite VH Album

    CVH 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    02.15.12 @ 07:03 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default EVH vs Joe Satriani 2009

    Take a look at this JOE

    EVH

    LOOKS like an epic battle
    Last edited by killerq; 04.12.09 at 09:36 PM.
    "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."

  2. #2
    Sinner's Swing! ED-A-HOLIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.11.01
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,936
    Favorite VH Album

    The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

    The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Likes
    378
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

    Default

    Satriani is Good, but
    Eddie is God!
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

    "Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

    WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,944
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Likes
    1,014
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

    Default

    Satch vs EVH "2009"???

    Wow, EVH looks awfully young in your video for a 54 year old guy... actually he looks more like he did in 1988...
    Little Dreamer

  4. #4
    Eruption
    Join Date
    10.12.04
    Posts
    982
    Last Online

    08.17.12 @ 11:19 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Default

    I would rather hear Ed or Satch playing kick ass songs that have nothing too do with shred. Who fucking cares about shred, give me a kick ass song with a kick ass riff. Ed's best solos never had anything to do with shred anyway.

  5. #5
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    07.11.05
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,883
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

    06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Give me substance. Not a big "shred" guy.

    Joe 2009 > Ed 2004-2009
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

    "He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,247
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,621 Times in 997 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Satch vs EVH "2009"???

    Wow, EVH looks awfully young in your video for a 54 year old guy... actually he looks more like he did in 1988...


    Facts are facts. As of this date, Joe can play circles around Eddie. The clear cut evidence is irrefutable.

    Gotta stay in the game to keep the chops clean.

  7. #7
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    02.19.07
    Posts
    4,976
    Last Online

    10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    99
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post


    Facts are facts. As of this date, Joe can play circles around Eddie. The clear cut evidence is irrefutable.

    Gotta stay in the game to keep the chops clean.
    Technically yes! Satch is not a long time alchie surviving cancer and playing total rehashed licks/solos like Ed. Satch is a true/eternal student of the instrument and thrives in a variety of STYLES on a high level. I agree. No one who knows better would disagree. Ed though has a direct link and can summon a great riff or tune out of his a$$. I don't see that talent or gift totally escaping him.

    Although you may not be happy Mike is out and all that if Ed is serious about a new album I think even you Mr. Squalen who's being a kinder gentler version of yourself will be inspired once Ed releases new music. I think we can bet your right nut on the fact that Ed, Dave and VH4 will deliver a new studio album that rocks. I don't think at this point they want to lose face after their touring success and words said. You may be pessimistic but I'll bet you an Avatar which say either Squalen rocks or At0mic is God :P(i know thats silly and I'm not totally serious but will honor) that a new VH CD and tour is coming by 2010 and it will kick ass. I know I'm being silly and all but I'm very optimistic about new music and a tour from VH. I honestly don't think I will be proven wrong. If What I say comes to be we all win, imo.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 04.13.09 at 01:09 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk Van Squalen's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.21.03
    Posts
    22,247
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 07:05 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1,621 Times in 997 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Your points are not entirely objective, and are more fan-loyalty based than on actual imperial evidence, friend.

    Ed cannot summon a great riff out of his ass on command with the greatest of ease as you insinuate, I would hazard a guess he makes no less effort than any of the world's great guitar virtuosos in composing music. Making good tunes is not an easy task for any man. Have no idea what you mean when you say Joe is simply a 'student' and Ed has a 'direct link.' That reeks of fanboyism. Satriani established himself as one of the world's great guitarists a long time before this new project.

    Making excuses for Ed because of his life circumstances has never been a viable point; all people in the world have shit happen in their lives.

    My stance on VH 4 and Mike being 'out' has nothing to do with my observation that at this stage in life, Joe can outplay Eddie, and not just technically, but in tone, vibe, warmth, and soul. Eddie is, of course, at his leisure to prove me wrong with a non-nostalgia tour, new invigoration, and a new album as promising as Chickenfoot seems to be. I sincerely doubt that will occur, it's not a contest, I don't think Ed gives a fuck, and why should he. People can dig Chixfoot and VH 4 at the same time. It's only rock and roll, and made-up rivalries are for playgrounds, not music connoiseurs.

    You are free to bet your own testicles on whether VH 4 will put out a rocking album or not. I myself wouldn't for a number of reasons, not the least of which is Ed's follow through on what he says as opposed to what he produces. There are other red flags...a kid playing bass, Dave following a continued gag order, implying he'll have a lot less input than he used to during a studio process, and Ed's insinuation in that last GW interview that stuff he's supposedly working on (key word being supposedly) isn't, quote, the 'usual headbanging stuff.' Toss in Dave's Chemical Brothers/techno experimentation, and it's not an improbable possibility that we're looking at VH III. Version 2.0 with Dave at the helm. That being said, of course it's possible Ed could put out another great album, duh. Until it happens, it's mere speculation. It's great that you're optimistic about a new album and tour from VH 4. That's your prerogative as a fan. I'm simply realistic, based on patterns to date, a different kind of fan. If I'm proven wrong, then that's just a surprise bonus for me.

  9. #9
    Baluchitherium mistere's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.31.02
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    5,364
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

    Chicken Feet for Breakfast
    Last Online

    07.11.09 @ 03:27 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Until VH releases a record this year, Ed in 2009 doesn't really exist.
    Would be great to have two albums to compare tho.

    But if VH, as I suspect, continue to pussyfoot around and deliver slim to
    nil once again then:

    Joe 10x > Ed 2009.

  10. #10
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    02.19.07
    Posts
    4,976
    Last Online

    10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    99
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Van Squalen View Post
    Your points are not entirely objective, and are more fan-loyalty based than on actual imperial evidence, friend.

    Ed cannot summon a great riff out of his ass on command with the greatest of ease as you insinuate, I would hazard a guess he makes no less effort than any of the world's great guitar virtuosos in composing music. Making good tunes is not an easy task for any man. Have no idea what you mean when you say Joe is simply a 'student' and Ed has a 'direct link.' That reeks of fanboyism. Satriani established himself as one of the world's great guitarists a long time before this new project.

    Making excuses for Ed because of his life circumstances has never been a viable point; all people in the world have shit happen in their lives.

    My stance on VH 4 and Mike being 'out' has nothing to do with my observation that at this stage in life, Joe can outplay Eddie, and not just technically, but in tone, vibe, warmth, and soul. Eddie is, of course, at his leisure to prove me wrong with a non-nostalgia tour, new invigoration, and a new album as promising as Chickenfoot seems to be. I sincerely doubt that will occur, it's not a contest, I don't think Ed gives a fuck, and why should he. People can dig Chixfoot and VH 4 at the same time. It's only rock and roll, and made-up rivalries are for playgrounds, not music connoiseurs.

    You are free to bet your own testicles on whether VH 4 will put out a rocking album or not. I myself wouldn't for a number of reasons, not the least of which is Ed's follow through on what he says as opposed to what he produces. There are other red flags...a kid playing bass, Dave following a continued gag order, implying he'll have a lot less input than he used to during a studio process, and Ed's insinuation in that last GW interview that stuff he's supposedly working on (key word being supposedly) isn't, quote, the 'usual headbanging stuff.' Toss in Dave's Chemical Brothers/techno experimentation, and it's not an improbable possibility that we're looking at VH III. Version 2.0 with Dave at the helm. That being said, of course it's possible Ed could put out another great album, duh. Until it happens, it's mere speculation. It's great that you're optimistic about a new album and tour from VH 4. That's your prerogative as a fan. I'm simply realistic, based on patterns to date, a different kind of fan. If I'm proven wrong, then that's just a surprise bonus for me.
    I prefer to bet your testicles and I'm not trying to instigate. It isn't fanboyism. Joe has been recording for over 20 years(I'm a fan) and most of if not all of his work will be lost in history were Ed has written many tunes/riffs that will not go away. Much like Page or Hendrix Ed is like that dudes screen name...he's a modern day Mozart because years from now when we are all gone he will still be mentioned in the guitar pantheon where Satch will be a foot note at best. that's not dumb luck or a passing string of luck. Common sense tells me that. It isn't fanboyism. Do you play guitar? There is a huge difference between being an accomplished and sickly skilled guitarist and having the natural ability to come out with music that sticks.

    You are stretching too. For one..Using your observations and opinions to mark what may happen in the future. Like Dave's techno influenced project as if that is relevant now. He was just trying to be trendy at the time. It isn't his new direction. It's kinda like Rod or Kiss Disco.

    I'm not making excuses for Ed. I'm not a total apologist I'm just being a realist. Facts. Joe has never even come close to obtaining the success and popularity/recognition of Ed/Ed's music. Joe is not a struggling substance abuser and didn't overcome cancer. That's not an excuse but that would derail anyone past their prime to be invigorated and inspired to put out product(especially when your rich and been there done it and just got divorced..he is human dude). IMO reality indicates that with the teenager(his son who supposedly is a great inspiration to him) in the band and Ed's regaining health and sense of his past transgressions he's focusing on the music again. An yes like Page and Hendrix had.. for example... Ed has some type of divine link or natural talent to create a great riff or tune. Joe does too but not close to the level of Ed though his technical ability and versatility far surpasses Ed especially in 2009. Yngwie Malmsteen's abilities surpass Ed in 2009 but I'm thinking Ed and Dave will deliver.

    My Sundays are like most peoples Saturdays so don't take offense by my responses. We think the opposite of this version of VH. I think something great will come.. you think nothing or crap or unfulfilled promises will come. You said the same about the 07 tour that it would fail eventually. That failed prediction doesn't deball you. I'm just pointing out that I think you are being too negative is all and should be optomistic.

    Sorry to call you out. I'm not really wanting anyone to have an avatar with my screen name:P, its being silly but I wager VH will deliver. You are right...we all win if they do. Let me ask you...like the 07 tour...if they do deliver and I'm being optimistic prior and your being pessimistic prior who is being more foolish or blind? I enjoy just about everything I have read you post so I respond to in respect and not trying to start anything.

    Well anyway..I know it's pointless to try and change peoples minds. I just think this is a great time to be a VH fan and more great music is on the horizon. I'm very excited about what a mature and focused DLR and EVH will come up with. Maybe my enthusiasm is getting the better of me in responses like these.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 04.13.09 at 02:26 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  11. #11
    Sinner's Swing! graeme's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.27.03
    Age
    10
    Location
    Dusseldorf, Germany.
    Posts
    3,946
    Favorite VH Album

    They're all shit
    Last Online

    11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

    Default

    I think it's a little irrelevant to compare the success levels of Ed and Joe. Joe did the instrumental thing which is notoriously difficult to garner a large audience in, though his sales figures prove that he took it as far as any man in his genre. Ed played in a very poppy rock band that was, at least early on, very much aimed at the big market - big, simple riffs that any one can understand after one listen.

    In my very humble opinion, I think that Joe is the better guitarist and musician, but at the level these guys play at, or at least can, it is nigh on impossible to do a better/worse comparison, so my opinion is based purely on what I like more; the notes chosen, the phrasing, the tone etc. I do think that Joe has a better range of styles and approaches in his repertoire though. He doesn't seem to repeat himself that much, which is to me, incredibly important.

    The best comparison between these two will be when Chickenfoot's CD comes out. If Joe gives an album of straight ahead rock with all his usuall idiosyncracies, then perhaps a comparison can be made. But it's all just us being fans anyway, giving opinions about stuff that the rest of the world couldn't give a toss about.

    I hope both CDs (should there be a both) are good and both players give us their best. That way, when we are fighting here on the 1000th Ed vs Joe thread, we have all come out winners.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

    My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

  12. #12
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    02.19.07
    Posts
    4,976
    Last Online

    10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Likes
    99
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    I think it's a little irrelevant to compare the success levels of Ed and Joe. Joe did the instrumental thing which is notoriously difficult to garner a large audience in, though his sales figures prove that he took it as far as any man in his genre. Ed played in a very poppy rock band that was, at least early on, very much aimed at the big market - big, simple riffs that any one can understand after one listen.

    In my very humble opinion, I think that Joe is the better guitarist and musician, but at the level these guys play at, or at least can, it is nigh on impossible to do a better/worse comparison, so my opinion is based purely on what I like more; the notes chosen, the phrasing, the tone etc. I do think that Joe has a better range of styles and approaches in his repertoire though. He doesn't seem to repeat himself that much, which is to me, incredibly important.

    The best comparison between these two will be when Chickenfoot's CD comes out. If Joe gives an album of straight ahead rock with all his usuall idiosyncracies, then perhaps a comparison can be made. But it's all just us being fans anyway, giving opinions about stuff that the rest of the world couldn't give a toss about.

    I hope both CDs (should there be a both) are good and both players give us their best. That way, when we are fighting here on the 1000th Ed vs Joe thread, we have all come out winners.
    I think Ed reached that level of success in his "big market pop" band because his song writing and guitar talent was a major factor in not only selling it to the general masses but also reinventing modern rock guitar in the process.

    I agree. (It's not Sam's fault) But somewhere in the Sam Era Ed started repeating himself. Especially in his solos. This imo is very evident in his recordings but also almost every solo performance you saw Ed in Letterman or wherever. The same nosies and licks over and over. That's why I mentioned in one thread that Ed is(became) more of a one trick pony than Hendrix. cause Hendrix could jam for hours an barely repeat anything where Ed over time has rehashed more and more of the same especially in his solos. I do think Ed has expressed himself better(more creatively) in his rhythm work than solos in that time though.

    Joe isn't totally innocent of this if you listen to his stuff. Even the tunes I hear so far from CF have some signature licks and tricks by him. Not to the extent of Ed but he isn't totally free of repeating himself.

    But I meant what I said. Joe is the eternal student of the guitar...which means he's fascinated with many aspects, styles, approaches and takes pride/interest in improving and expanding his knowledge. I don't think Ed thinks like that or at least hasn't thought that way for a long time.

    Still I think Ed has something Joe doesn't. I think Ed's past success is proof of it(documentation of it if you will) and it's why I mention it. I think thats very relevant. Personally I don;t think that totally disappears.As much as I dig CF and excited I don't think it will do much besides entertain us and give a cd or 2 of awesome classic rock with cool edge thats rare today. I doubt it will leave a mark close to what Ed and VH has and I think if Ed and Dave get serious with their "talk" of recording a new CD we will hear something special. I don't think his gift and talent is past tense. Thats all I'm saying and I guess thats were my fanboy tendencies come into play because I'm very excited and optimistic over the prospect. I hope I didn't come off too harsh or opinionated. Just stating my thoughts. I respect that others don't agree with me. Let's see what happens. I know I will be hoping for the best.

    I dig CF and excited for the Cd and tours and more hopefully. Still, for me, VH is the band I'm most looking forward to hearing more from...and I'll bet your left...ah nvm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  13. #13
    Eruption Dimoncutr's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.08.00
    Age
    51
    Location
    Grand Blanc, Mi.
    Posts
    992
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    10.06.14 @ 12:51 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    If we have to have this discussion. Shouldn't it be on level ground. Or better yet, why have it at all? If Joe hadn't hooked up with Mike or Sam we wouldn't even consider this unless it were an over all comparision of guitarists. Why make it one is better than the other? Chickenfoot has nothing to do with VH. Just like everyone asked. Sam is even staying away from VH so there aren't any distincsions between the two. Please let this happen so we don't have any reasons to split the fans in this discusion forums. It's f'n boring. The Sam vs. Dave debate is over as far as I see it. Sam wants to make music and do it with other spent out VH members. So what? Give this a rest.

  14. #14
    Good Enough brownnation's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.27.08
    Posts
    1,543
    Last Online

    02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Likes
    33
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

    Default

    The questions here is 2009. Satriani is coming out with something and Eddie isn't. Does not that end the discussion?

    I'm not real clear on anything that Eddie has done or said in the last decade that would make anyone "optimistic" about him putting out music soon.

    Even if Eddie put out music, as a life-long fan I'd be more nervous that he would continue to destroy his own legacy with bad music than I'd be optimistic about having a great new VH album to listen to. Honestly, I hope he's nervous about the same thing and some of his apprehension is due to the fact that he's made some really poor musical decisions for a long time.

    If anyone is truly an Eddie Van Halen fan they need to let him go, enjoy his brilliance of the past and quit letting him hurt you with unfulfilled promise.

    There is no such thing as Joe vs. Eddie in 2009.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk Lodewijk's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.03
    Age
    47
    Location
    Spring, TX.
    Posts
    13,543
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    She's The Woman, Mean Street
    Last Online

    05.21.17 @ 06:59 AM
    Likes
    6
    Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Is this what we've all got to look forward to for the next 2 years around here ? A shit load of Chickenfoot/VH comparisons or EVH/Satch debates?

    Who give's a fuck? ALL of these guys are iconic professional artists, way past any of this "battle of the bands" bullshit.

    I swear some of you just like to argue for arguments sake.


    Maybe I'd be more into it, if the rest of the country wasn't going to shit. But to me, there's plenty of more important things to be passionate about.


    Chickenfoot sounds decent enough, and 2009 looks like it'll be a big year for them. VH will hopefully get motivated and get something out in 2010, and build on what they did last summer. Like Squal said, it shouldn't be a competition....most fans of either will enjoy both.
    Lode's Facebook
    @Lode13 on Twitter

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. VAI vs. SATRIANI
    By 51501984 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05.11.09, 05:10 PM
  2. Joe Satriani...6/25/02
    By LeadGtr5150 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 07.22.02, 09:27 PM
  3. New Satriani DVD
    By DannyBoy in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11.24.01, 06:15 PM
  4. New Satriani DVD
    By DannyBoy in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11.24.01, 05:50 PM
  5. Joe Satriani--
    By Edward Van Halen in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08.08.01, 04:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •