Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

06.15.14 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Picking up the Geetar

Allright people I rarely come into this room but I need some advice and I figure that this would be the best place to start.

I am thinking about trying to start playing guitar. I am not looking to start a career or start playing clubs or anything. It would be more like a hobby. The goal to someday be able to play some of my most favorite riffs to listen to. This, of course, would include some VH, specifically, Unchained. Even though this would only be a hobby it wouldn't be right to me to do it half-ass. I would want to be able to get that tone that Eddie has as close as possible without spending a huge amount on gear. I have seen a couple of guys on youtube that have achieved a nice tone. One guy in particular was using a 87 Kramer Stagemaster. Sounded great. I tried to see if any were available anywhere but after a quick search didn't find anything.

So, my fellow VHLinkers, knowing what I have just explained what would be the best way for me to get started including the bare minimum, as far as gear is concerned, needed to achieve a nice "Eddie" tone. I was also looking in the VHStore at the DVD tutorials on how to learn some of the VH catelog. Not sure if those would be helpful in getting started. Any advice on anything you can think of would be much appreciated.

Thanks fellas.
    You can twist perceptions
    Reality won't budge

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok...welcome to the player's club... First question would be..what's your starting budjet.?..a from this to that range.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks.

Well, I have a birthday coming up so if I used that to get my guitar, with what my parents and brother would give me and what I could put in as well, your talking probably $400 max.

I don't need to get it all right away. If I had everything I needed after Christmas of this year that would be fine.
    Reality won't budge

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok..400$. even for a starer kit it's not much..BUT, there's always a way to work in that range.

Guitar wise, i guess you want one with a Trem. If you look at the used market, you'll get more for your money. You can find a Ibanez RG350 with a nice trem for about 225 to 250$ Used. they are nice starter guitars and can be easily resold once you decide to upgrade your guitar.

Another nice one could be the ESP LTD MH-53, 300$ new, so i'de guess in the 225$ used if not less. Both have decent pups and a good Trem.

Links to give you an idea of what the axe looks like

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=518871

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...tar?sku=515730

Amp wise. I would recommend Line 6 modeling amp as a stater amp. it will have a lots of FX to familiarise youself with what works and not for your own sound without having to get a ton of different pedals. once you get a sound you like, in this case Ed's brown sound, you'll be able to move on eventually know what FX you need.

Line 6 as a line of nice amps ranging from 15w to 150w. and nicely priced for a starter kit, and can also be found easily on the used market.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...ier?sku=482275

You'll get a lots of good suggestions from lots of players, so you'll be able to pick something to fit in your budget easily i'm pretty sure.

Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the input Al. I really appreciate it.

If $400 isn't enough for a nice starter guitar. How much more would you have to go to get a nice solid guitar?
    Reality won't budge

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Dog View Post
    Thanks for the input Al. I really appreciate it.

If $400 isn't enough for a nice starter guitar. How much more would you have to go to get a nice solid guitar?
    well..with 400$..you can easily find the stuff i mentionned. and those guitar are pretty nice actually. I would'nt spent more then that on a starter kit realy

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,293 Times in 3,166 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Panama Dog View Post
    Allright people I rarely come into this room but I need some advice and I figure that this would be the best place to start.

I am thinking about trying to start playing guitar. I am not looking to start a career or start playing clubs or anything. It would be more like a hobby. The goal to someday be able to play some of my most favorite riffs to listen to. This, of course, would include some VH, specifically, Unchained. Even though this would only be a hobby it wouldn't be right to me to do it half-ass. I would want to be able to get that tone that Eddie has as close as possible without spending a huge amount on gear. I have seen a couple of guys on youtube that have achieved a nice tone. One guy in particular was using a 87 Kramer Stagemaster. Sounded great. I tried to see if any were available anywhere but after a quick search didn't find anything.

So, my fellow VHLinkers, knowing what I have just explained what would be the best way for me to get started including the bare minimum, as far as gear is concerned, needed to achieve a nice "Eddie" tone. I was also looking in the VHStore at the DVD tutorials on how to learn some of the VH catelog. Not sure if those would be helpful in getting started. Any advice on anything you can think of would be much appreciated.

Thanks fellas.
    I'm glad you decided to pick it up. My advice is to buy a crap guitar for the first year just so can tell if you actually will enjoy it. A stagemaster is a great guitar but you may want to start small and they're not easy to find and usually go for 1000 or so. Honestly, I got my first guitar when I was 8 and it was a Kramer Focus 3000, if you can finf one one Ebay I would snatch it up in a heartbeat. Its a phenominal first guitar. Make sure you get the lessons down before you worry about forking over hundreds and thousands on gear and you're in the right place for advice.

Top Of The World 5150 Frankenstrat's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150 and Fair Warning
    Last Online

02.20.13 @ 06:15 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with what al3d is suggesting, but in terms of amps, go with the Peavey Vypyr, which is another modeling amp, much like a Line 6.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...Amp?sku=482909

I think those are great starter amps, they are the same price range as the Line 6. There is a 6505 pre set, so you can get a pretty close 5150 sound. It also has a Plexi pre set, so you can get an old Marshall sound. Hope this helps!

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Frankenstrat View Post
    I agree with what al3d is suggesting, but in terms of amps, go with the Peavey Vypyr, which is another modeling amp, much like a Line 6.

I think those are great starter amps, they are the same price range as the Line 6. There is a 6505 pre set, so you can get a pretty close 5150 sound. It also has a Plexi pre set, so you can get an old Marshall sound. Hope this helps!
    yeah..the Peavey is pretty cool as well. forgot about this one....to much gear now a day to keep it all in mind..LOL..

Good call

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I'm glad you decided to pick it up. My advice is to buy a crap guitar for the first year just so can tell if you actually will enjoy it ...
    I would agree with not spending alot of money, but I would highly recommend having a good setup done on your guitar (whatever guitar that may be).

Playing guitar should be enjoyable.
    A "crap" guitar that is difficult to play (heavy strings, high action, ect ..) could actually deter you from wanting to play it.

btw ... you may still be able to find a decent OLP at a good price on eBay.
    With a good setup, they can be pretty decent players.

JMO

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,293 Times in 3,166 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dino5150 View Post
    I would agree with not spending alot of money, but I would highly recommend having a good setup done on your guitar (whatever guitar that may be).

Playing guitar should be enjoyable.
    A "crap" guitar that is difficult to play (heavy strings, high action, ect ..) could actually deter you from wanting to play it.

btw ... you may still be able to find a decent OLP at a good price on eBay.
    With a good setup, they can be pretty decent players.

JMO
    I should have clarified thanks Dino. An OLP MM1 would be perfect.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 Frankenstrat View Post

Definitely go the Peavey Vypyr route instead of a Line 6. I had a chance to play with the $100 little Vypyr and it was WAY better than any line 6 combo I have heard.

Also, if you can pick up an OLP MM1, do it. For the money, they are fantastic guitars. Just look at my profile pic.... I have a lot of guitars (some high end) and I still play my modified OLP regularly.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 04.12.09 at 09:27 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Congrats on picking up the guitar. I picked it up at the ripe old age of 30. Granted, I have been been playing musical instruments my entire life; but I never picked up the guitar until much later, not unlike you.

I recommend a cheap guitar that you can grow with, and a cheap modelling amp (a few have been recommended already). Buy a good book and learn your fingerboard, then get some lessons.

Know that maybe or maybe not you will be able to play solos. I can play well enough to write songs and play some okay rhythm guitar onstage. Will I be the hot lead player? Probably not. But the main object is to have fun with it.

As far as getting EVH tone? Some people have been playing for 30 years and can't get that tone, even with what is supposed to be Eddie's stuff...
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

you could always spend a little more on aguitar and use something like a Line6 toneport GX instead of an amp, loads of FX and amp sims, plus you can download tones and presets from the interweb and play along to mp3's. all through headphones. mine cost me 35 new, so i'd say expect to pay about $50 or there abouts, use the money you have saved to buy a guitar and have it setup properly, because comfort and ease of playing will help you more than most things at the begining.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I tend to agree with everyone's statements so far, but there is one thing I highly recommend and that is to hold many guitars in your hands. Each person has a preference as to the neck, body and knob/switch placement, and I've seen the wrong guitar for a given person frustrate said person away from learning/playing. Get a feel for how comfortable your hand feels around the neck, if it seems awkward just sitting there holding the guitar, it will likely be even more awkward when learning and playing. Body shape also plays into it as well, but has never been as big an issue to me personally. Knob placement, like what you find on a Strat, drives me nuts....I almost always end up hitting the knobs at some point along the line.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.