Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default Reverb and Delay Pedals

Hey all,

I'm building a pedal board to play out with. I'm mostly used to spring amp reverb and multi effect delays(Boss). Using a head now without reverb. Looking for Stomp boxes for the pedal board that will get the job done. Just curious what you all might suggest. I'd especially like opinions from people that play out. Many effects perform(sound) differently at loud volumes in larger spaces etc.

Please take a moment and let me know what Reverb and Delay pedals you suggest and why.

Also considering a new Chorus pedal.

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've always liked having a digital and analog delay in my rig. For a long time it was a Boss DD-6 and a cheapie Rockson Analog Delay (it did cool weird things), but several months back I discovered the Tech 21 Boost DLA analog delay and it is AWESOME! So that one took the place of the Rockson.

For a long time I've used an Electro-Harmonix Hly GRail reverb; it does spring and hall verbs decently, but I'm starting to notice the high gain amp doesn't work very well with it. Again, I played the Tech 21 Boost RVB reverb pedal, and the thing just rules.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I've always liked having a digital and analog delay in my rig. For a long time it was a Boss DD-6 and a cheapie Rockson Analog Delay (it did cool weird things), but several months back I discovered the Tech 21 Boost DLA analog delay and it is AWESOME! So that one took the place of the Rockson.

For a long time I've used an Electro-Harmonix Hly GRail reverb; it does spring and hall verbs decently, but I'm starting to notice the high gain amp doesn't work very well with it. Again, I played the Tech 21 Boost RVB reverb pedal, and the thing just rules.
    Thanks for the info dude! It appears that this month they are introducing a new model fyiTech 21 NYC Boost D.L.A.

So the Tech 21 reverb pedal did better with a high gain amp? You running these direct or through an effects loop?

Thanks so much for your input. I'm going to investigate further and settle on something soon. I just want a great sounding reverb pedal to add some depth and the delay to mimic any tune I need to play that has delay. Of course it may inspire and come into play for original compositions but I'm going to be playing in a 80% cover band type deal so I have to have a good delay pedal thats versatile and sounds great. Will be usuing a Peavey 5150 head out for now. May get a 5150 III down the road.

What's your take on a Chorus pedal. You use one?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the feedback and excited to fill up my pedal board with the tools I need.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Thanks for the info dude! It appears that this month they are introducing a new model fyiTech 21 NYC Boost D.L.A.

So the Tech 21 reverb pedal did better with a high gain amp? You running these direct or through an effects loop?

Thanks so much for your input. I'm going to investigate further and settle on something soon. I just want a great sounding reverb pedal to add some depth and the delay to mimic any tune I need to play that has delay. Of course it may inspire and come into play for original compositions but I'm going to be playing in a 80% cover band type deal so I have to have a good delay pedal thats versatile and sounds great. Will be usuing a Peavey 5150 head out for now. May get a 5150 III down the road.

What's your take on a Chorus pedal. You use one?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate the feedback and excited to fill up my pedal board with the tools I need.
    Yeah, I think the new DLA has tap tempo.

I'm almost always running effects through the loop on the 5150 or 5150 II.

I have the MXR Chorus. It's a great pedal (I always love MXR stuff), but I am also admittedly not that picky about chorus tones. Basically I needed something that could do about a Roland Jazz Chorus does and also get a little crazy (acting almost like tremolo if need be), but I really don't use it very often. MXR stuff is always great.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Thanks dude. You play out, love music, a guitar junkie, love VH and use a 5150 head. Your input is very much appreciated. I dig chorus on some clean channel things. It's nothing I usually want to use when all distorted and heavy though I guess Ed used it 5150 and beyond? I'm not really chasing Ed's tone really just trying to get mine going with this new setup. Thanks a lot for taking the time and the info!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

GO try out the MXR Carbon Copy delay...pedal of the year actually..and cheaper then most delays, but kicks ass..

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i play in a show band...think the sort of musical review show you might see in Branson or Las Vegas or on a cruise ship. We cover a lot of ground doing an increasingly bilingual show but we've focused on latin music from mexico and throughout latin america. I use chorus, reverb, clean, dirty, wah and rotary speaker tones.

Live I use a 2x12 combo and a pedal board consisting of an MXR chorus (my god what an incredible pedal.) A seymour duncan twin tube overdrive (best I've ever used) and a boss rotary speaker emulator...very cool pedal.

In addition I use the EVH flanger, a hendrix wah and a bbe clean boost.

Before I had the mxr I used an electro harmonix deluxe memory man...probably my favourite pedal of all time. The problem I had with it is, for the type of show I do, it was too dirty and spacey. It's great for my original music. It has warmth and depth and dimension but it clips easily at higher volumes and can get muddy...not what I need for the type of show I do.

So, for modulation, the best I've found is the MXR. Fantastic pedal.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    Thanks dude. You play out, love music, a guitar junkie, love VH and use a 5150 head. Your input is very much appreciated. I dig chorus on some clean channel things. It's nothing I usually want to use when all distorted and heavy though I guess Ed used it 5150 and beyond? I'm not really chasing Ed's tone really just trying to get mine going with this new setup. Thanks a lot for taking the time and the info!
    You're welcome, dude.

Sounds like we got another big endorsement of the MXR Chorus from broken. As I was reading that I realized it really does offer a lot of diversity and handles all kinds of tone well. It's also really durable. EVH had one in his rig for the last tour (for "Pretty Woman," I believe). Does that mean there'll be an "EVH MXR Chorus" soon?? (Probably... it'll be pink and purple stripes for that one.)

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OH..i love the MXR Chorus...that effect is awsome as well. Best chorus i've own.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I highly recommend the Digitech Hardwire Reverb. Lexicon licensed algorithms, great build quality, and quiet as a mouse. I too found the Holy Grail reverbs noisy with high gain amps.

Delay wise, the DL-4 is nice for functionality, but compromises your original signal. I made the switch to the Boss DD-20 w/ a Tap Tempo I built and haven't looked back. Original tone is back, some board real estate is back. Just a little less convenient than the DL-4 for changing presets. The DD-20 also has a longer looper, which I love for practicing.

Another delay to look at, but I haven't tried, is the Vox Time Machine. Seems very nice, great features and decently priced.

For the analog delay, here's another vote for the Carbon Copy. Chorus also goes to the MXR Chorus. MXR is putting out some great stuff right now.

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

My delay is a Maxon AD-999. It's true bypass and fully analog with a lot of delay time. Very warm sounding and excellent tone.

Here is my pedal board.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Thanks so much for the info guys. A lot of info to digest and respond to.
    Let me just say all your suggestions are appreciated. It's good to get
    quality first hand recommendations b4 going to a store or looking online
    and seeing 20 delays to chose from.

Please keep those suggestions coming guys. Not just the Reverb and Delay
    but any pedal you swear by and why. I'm really enjoying this. It's a little like
    Xmas. The cost is rising quickly though!! lol

Do you guys use or recommend any noise gates, hush's, or compressors for
    your pedal boards? Will quality pedals and cables be good enough or are there any
    must haves/tricks to keeping it noise free?

I found a Youtube profile you guys may dig. I've had fun looking at some
    pedals and gear there. Pro Guitar Shop Demos

I'm starting with just getting mostly the basics for my board but
    now that I'm looking and buying.. MAN there are so many cool pedals
    I want. I'm sure you all can identify.
    I could easily spend 3 grand right now and still want more pedals.
    lol Thanks guys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    I highly recommend the Digitech Hardwire Reverb. Lexicon licensed algorithms, great build quality, and quiet as a mouse.
    The Digitech Hardwire pedals came into the music store I teach at a short while ago, and, yeah, I have to say I'm impressed with them. The reverb is definitely excellent.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

So you guys think I have a winner with this Reverb?

I LOVE what I see/hear.

Also going with the MXR Chorus. Just need to settle on a Delay. I'm going to try some in person.

So for starters it will be a EVH Flanger, EVH Phaser, EVH Wah, My Vox V847 Wah, a Hardwire RV-7 Stereo Reverb, MXR Chorus..unknown delay..unknown tuner...and unknown noise suppressor. I would still have room on my board to expand but that may be all I really need. Only thing is I kinda like the idea of an octave divider type thing but thats not a necessity.

So I have info on Delays. Thanks all I'm going to investigate.

Some "final" questions.

*What do you all recommend for a Tuner. Seems most people use Boss?

*What about Noise suppression..anyone use a noise gate pedal in their pedal board?

*Do I need 2 noise suppressors to run things direct and through the loop?
    a few I saw have two inputs and 2 outs...can you use one for this purpose or do you need two?...and if you use two does it rob tone?

*My Vox Wah is battery only. Is it kosher to use it on a powered pedalboard. Anything I can do (Jedi?) to power it with the power supply I ordered?

So thats it's. The delay and reverb will run through the 5150's effects loop. The rest direct. I've been doing homework online and on foot but getting info from guys who are pro, that use similar gear, and like a similar style is a big help.

Thanks!!!!!!
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 04.12.09 at 02:25 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i use a 5150 mk1 head.

i use a boss ns-2 noise suppresor pedal at the end of my pedal board.

i have a boss dd-4 in the loop set to a slight slap back delay to create reverb.

on my pedal board i just added the new electro harmonix "NumberONEecho" digital delay pedal , its only 99 bucks and is very basic , but has a nice analog break up on the repeats , the delay can go up to 2 seconds and the repeats can go from 1 to infinite , i use it to make trippy sounds and long noisy echos , but on a clean channel it sounds ok so far also.

only had it in my set up one time at practice though.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.