Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 09:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Compensating for Presence?

My solid state Marshall MG30DFX doesn't have a Presence control, is there a way I can perhaps compensate for it, through use of amp EQ, or maybe my BOSS GE-7 pedal?
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Good Enough

Last Online

10.08.16 @ 03:54 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All presence does (on most amps, like classic Marshall's etc.) is control how much negative feedback you are bleeding or not bleeding to ground, and it does this to a certain frequency range of the feedback. Usually the range is for a large portion of the upper mids to highs in an amp. 'Resonance' or 'depth' controls do the same thing, but the frequencies they target are low. So when you mess with the presence/resonance controls, it's basically adding more or less negative feedback back into your signal before the phase inverter, which in turn can partially cancel out or boost the highs/lows.

If you think about it simply, it's really just a fancy way to give you more control of the amps overall EQ then just the low mid and high knob.

To compensate, you can turn up the highs (isn't quite the same, but it can give you the general sound), or just use a bigger-than-guitar-frequency-EQ pedal. Like a 10 band that will give you extended high and low end.

Your amp is designed without a presence though, so I would bet boosting your highs will just make it sound less warm, and a lot harsher.