Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

04.20.16 @ 05:46 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Clean Combo Amp suggestions

I'm looking for a combo amp with a great clean tone that takes effect pedals very well. Preferrably just a one channel combo amp. I'm looking at a fender bassman or twin reverb but I have no experience with either amp. Any suggestions?

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitarman51 View Post
    I'm looking for a combo amp with a great clean tone that takes effect pedals very well. Preferrably just a one channel combo amp. I'm looking at a fender bassman or twin reverb but I have no experience with either amp. Any suggestions?
    Are you looking for POWER?...Twin is an excellent amp..but one heavy SOB to carry around.. and it's LOUD...but I always loved Fender's clean tone.

I own a Fender Blues Junior Texas Edition..the red one, and i LOVE IT. it's good for small gig..and if you mic it..it can play anywhere and it's VERY light.

Another one i am looking to get, is the Fender Deluxe reverbe, legend on it's own realy. 22w, very light as well.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Are you looking for POWER?...Twin is an excellent amp..but one heavy SOB to carry around.. and it's LOUD...but I always loved Fender's clean tone.

I own a Fender Blues Junior Texas Edition..the red one, and i LOVE IT. it's good for small gig..and if you mic it..it can play anywhere and it's VERY light.

Another one i am looking to get, is the Fender Deluxe reverbe, legend on it's own realy. 22w, very light as well.
    I am looking for power. I would want at least a 50 watt amp. My band is very loud so LOUD is always a good thing.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for power. I would want at least a 50 watt amp. My band is very loud so LOUD is always a good thing.
    the Fender Twin is your thing then. Clean tone is like no others in my mind. Naturally it's a personnal opinion, but you get POWER...2x12 usually, incredible reverbe as well. The Crunch you can get ain't bad either. You can always look at Boutique Amps if money is no object, like Dr-Z...but in my personnal experience, i could never justify doubling the price of an amp for so little difference in sound. Unless you REALY REALY want a handwired amps.

So, Fender Twin...Bingo. AND...it can usually be found easily in the used market. A mid 70's Silver Face Twin would rock your world..ahaha. for around 750$ i'de say.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You may consider a good solid state amp if what you're looking for is simply volume and cleanliness.

For over a year I've been gigging with a Crate VTX200S. 200 watts, best pure clean channel I've heard. It has three channels and built in effects too. I dont really use them because I run a pedal board with various things including tube overdrive and MXR chorus and such but the extra channels and effects do come in handy when I don't want to lug my board with me.

I gigged with a tube amp for quite some time and found a few problems with it:

1. Transport. Having to lug a hot amp around and always worrying about the tubes cracking was a real pain.

2. Because I use the amp for clean tone and volume, a tube amp became problematic as over the course of the evening the tone would change as the tubes warmed up.

3. Volume. In order to get serious volume and wattage out of a tube amp I'd have had to go with a Fender Twin or something like that. Those things weigh a freaking ton.

Because my tone comes from pedals, the amp itself is only being used to generate volume.

Our musical director has been gigging professionally his entire life and uses a solid state Peavey from the 1980s.

Obviously tone chasers and snobs alike will toss their nose in the air at the very mention of solid state but I believe it to provide exactly what I was looking for and am quite happy gigging in a very professional band using a crate solid state of all things.

It's something to consider.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=481049V

that link is to the stereo model. I play the regular model, has more volume. Also, I think they've been discontinued and replaced with a new model. Check around.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:08 PM
    Liked 731 Times in 346 Posts

Roland JC-120 Jazz Chorus.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.17.15 @ 08:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    +1

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    hell yeah, GREAT amp.
    also a Roland Bolt 60, if you can find one, they are VERY loud and the clean channel is beautiful, the overdrive channel sounds like shit though, i've used one for many years both for gigs and studio work, sounds great with quality pedals straight in the front.
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I also thinking about a Fender Hot Rod Deville. A bit cheaper than a Fender Twin Reverb. I forgot about the Roland Jazz Chorus.....I'm not a big fan of solid state but I played one a long time ago and thought it sounded oh so pretty.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:20 PM
    Liked 600 Times in 391 Posts

I also thinking about a Fender Hot Rod Deville. A bit cheaper than a Fender Twin Reverb. I forgot about the Roland Jazz Chorus.....I'm not a big fan of solid state but I played one a long time ago and thought it sounded oh so pretty.

I use a Fender Hot Rod Deville 2/12 and it's awesome!
    Have played some shows where it's not been miked and it's plenty loud.
    Have taken it on tour across the country and even to Mexico and it rocks!
    Even when i can't take an amp, like last month @ SXSW, the house amp is a Hot Rod Deville 2/12 or a Deluxe 1/12.

JB
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I also thinking about a Fender Hot Rod Deville. A bit cheaper than a Fender Twin Reverb.
    GREAT amp, but be forewarned, they're F'N LOUD.

I used on in a band a few years back and NEVER got to turn that thing up past about 2.5!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The Hot Rod Fender series is fantastic. Great great great amps...can't say enough good things about them...and have a very sparkly clean channel. I used to have one and it was taken from me. Bastard.

The Roland JC120 is a classic. Can't go wrong when you're looking for clean though the ones I've played haven't been incredibly loud...but damn if they don't sound good.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Hot rod is another greath alternative to the Fender Twin. Much lighter...and VERY loud as well. the Hot Rod reissue tweed version is a KILLER amp. greath ton all around, and realy not expensive.

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=2232200000

Favorite VH Album

1984 / 5150
    Favorite VH Song

the ones with ed on them.
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    The Hot rod is another greath alternative to the Fender Twin. Much lighter...and VERY loud as well. the Hot Rod reissue tweed version is a KILLER amp. greath ton all around, and realy not expensive.

http://www.fender.com/products/searc...tno=2232200000
    The Hot Rod I was playing through was WAY heavier than a Twin.
    Dunno - maybe that one was a freak but I HATED having to lug that thing around...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"20 minutes (late to work)? Shit. Last year I woke up three weeks too late.
    My advice is to go for the alien abduction story. Look bemused, dishevelled and on the verge of tears as you recount your story of intrusive and degrading medical tests.
    Worked for me anyway. I still have colleagues asking me what it is like to fuck a green womanoid with seventeen breasts.
    Alternatively just walk in and inform everyone that alcoholism is indeed a disease and that they should be less judgemental and perhaps a little more supportive."
    - graeme on the addiction to this place.

"something tells me that after the nuclear holocaust, there'll be twinkies, cockroaches, and a dave vs. sammy argument going on somewhere".
    - han valen, 6.11.04

"in my best "saw" scary movie voice: "oh, yes, there will be beagles."
    - hatchetforce, 6.7.06

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sixstring View Post
    The Hot Rod I was playing through was WAY heavier than a Twin.
    Dunno - maybe that one was a freak but I HATED having to lug that thing around...
    well..there is 3 versions around..the 1x12, the 2x12 and the 4x10..now that one is one heavy SOB.