Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 179 Times in 57 Posts

Default Vintage Pedal Question.

I bought a MXR Phase 90 used years ago. It's script logo and I've had it for maybe 12 years. Never had a problem with it working until maybe now.

I notice lately if I leave it plugged into my gear but turned off...the battery will die in a few days. Is this normal with vintage pedals? Are you supposed to unplug it when not using it? I know this may seem odd. Back when I bought it I don't remember it doing this. Also back then it was seldom I left my pedals plugged in at home and sitting for periods of time.

I have a bunch of old pedals but this may be my oldest. I don't remember this with anything I've had b4.

I'm sure many of you are more tech savy than me. Is this normal or has something gone bad in this thing? It still sounds fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 04.05.09 at 03:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Runnin' With The Devil
    Last Online

06.20.12 @ 10:40 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You should unplug it, that's what i do with my DOD 250, and even though its newer, i havent had to change the battery since January.
    It is not an understatement to say that if a person ate a bowl of alphabet soup, they would shit better lyrics. -lmr5150 on Up For Breakfast

Give him the "secret devil sign", stick out your tongue and hiss like a demon while bellowing out THE DARKNESS WILL ENVELOPE THY SOUL AND FEAST OF THY FLESH, INFIDEL!!!!! Then gouge a pentagram in your forehead with a nail file. -LowLifeFlatHeadScum

A recent study shows 92% of the teenage population likes rap music. If you are part of the 8% who listen to real music, put this as your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    DipscheisßeBuchseAffenkönnennichtFotzeBleistiftdic kBettnässenzurückgebliebeMutterficker.

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

that is normal with ALL effects. if you leave the jacks on it...batteries dies VERY fast. ..solution..never used batteries..as soon as batteries starts to ware out, you get a bad effect. get a powersupplie

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If it's a script logo, there is no DC jack. Unless you want to get it modded, just unplug the pedal's input and your battery will last longer. You can leave the output jack plugged in.

Another option is if you do want to use a power supply, you can get a cable from Voodoo Lab or similar that has a 9V snap on one end and the correct boss style plug on the other. Get another bottom plate (smallbearelec.com) and drill a hole through it for the cable, and you're set! No mods to your pedal, no worries about batteries dying.
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 04.05.09 at 04:40 PM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi McFly View Post
    If it's a script logo, there is no DC jack. Unless you want to get it modded, just unplug the pedal's input and your battery will last longer. You can leave the output jack plugged in.

Another option is if you do want to use a power supply, you can get a cable from Voodoo Lab or similar that has a 9V snap on one end and the correct boss style plug on the other. Get another bottom plate (smallbearelec.com) and drill a hole through it for the cable, and you're set! No mods to your pedal, no worries about batteries dying.
    Yep. Good ideas.

The jacks are usually switching jacks on pedals, so it can only run when plugged in -- hence the battery drain.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Thanks for the response guys. I don't know.. maybe I'm getting dumb or something. I did stop using battery powered stomp boxes for a long time. I know that over a long extended period of time you need to unplug them but I don't recall a pedal that would drain over night or in a few days like this one.
    I guess I've developed bad or lazy habits with it and maybe the Phase just drains faster than others I've neglected. Glad to hear it's me though and not this pedal because it does sound great.

I've recently gotten back into using stomp boxes and getting away from multi effect pedals etc.

Sadly the script logo Phase90 does not have a place to plug in power. I don't think I want to bother modding it. I actually have a old grey 4 knob MXR Flanger that plugs in but lately I have been fancying the idea of getting the new EVH models(and a few other pedals), which can all plug in and getting one of the flight case style pedal boards. Would be nice to have them all set up and easily powered and easily transportable.

So I'm switching gears now but can anyone recommend a flight case style pedal board mount thing that's mid sized? Links and tips would be appreciated. Putting a bunch of stomp boxes on a board, all plugged in, easily powered, and transportable is something I've thought about but never done. I want to do this now though. Thanks for the help and info guys.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I recommend both PedalPad and Pedaltrain. The Pedalpad AXS and the Pedaltrain PT-2 are the models you'd probably want to look at for a mid sized board.

I personally have a PedalPad, and a few of my buddies have Pedaltrains of varying sizes. If I ever decide to get a bigger board, it's probably be a Pedal Train PT-Pro. Pedaltrains come with very nice ATA cases. The Pedalpads aren't ATA, but they're pretty sturdy and it hasn't failed me yet. I wouldn't trust checking it on a plane, but it's lived through many a trailer.

For power I recommend Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+.

For wiring it all up, I recommend Lava Cable for nice, neat, and simple solderless cable runs that sound absolutely fantastic. A big improvement over George L's in both sound and design.

Here's a shot of my board, a Pedalpad AXS, wired with the Lava Cable solderless kit. The Pedal Power 2 is located underneath the board, you can see it peaking out a little bit. Not pictured is the '76 Dyna Comp RI I have on the way.

Last edited by Jedi McFly; 04.05.09 at 07:37 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

I recommend both PedalPad and Pedaltrain. The Pedalpad AXS and the Pedaltrain PT-2 are the models you'd probably want to look at for a mid sized board.

I personally have a PedalPad, and a few of my buddies have Pedaltrains of varying sizes. If I ever decide to get a bigger board, it's probably be a Pedal Train PT-Pro. Pedaltrains come with very nice ATA cases. The Pedalpads aren't ATA, but they're pretty sturdy and it hasn't failed me yet. I wouldn't trust checking it on a plane, but it's lived through many a trailer.

For power I recommend Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+.

For wiring it all up, I recommend Lava Cable for nice, neat, and simple solderless cable runs that sound absolutely fantastic. A big improvement over George L's in both sound and design.

Here's a shot of my board, a Pedalpad AXS, wired with the Lava Cable solderless kit. The Pedal Power 2 is located underneath the board, you can see it peaking out a little bit. Not pictured is the '76 Dyna Comp RI I have on the way.

Thanks a lot for the info man. That is pretty much the size I'm thinking of. Very nice! The power and cable suggestions are great also. So excuse my ignorance but the power supply underneath.. stomping on the pedals puts no pressure on it? Is there something that supports the pedals above and protects whats underneath? It doesn't heat up under there, it has room to breath? Give me a little info if you can on that aspect of it. so basically you run one power cord out of this...a guitar cable out and your guitar in and your set?

Music is a side thing at this point in my life so I won't be flying with gear or going on extended tours but I will be getting out some and want something thats easy, convenient and very durable. Something that if it's dropped or banged around is sturdy enough to not worry about at all. Also something that is resistant to the elements(I'm talking the exterior case obviously).

Thanks man, I'm excited. I'm going to look into this and settle in on something soon. Any other advice or tips from you or anyone is appreciated though it looks like most of my solutions are right here. The cables and power supply seem perfect. I was just hoping for a metal type flight case deal but really that may be over kill.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Nope, no pressure on the power supply when pressing on the pedals. You'll see that there are 2 sections that the pedals attach to. Each is on a hinge and can lift to give you storage space underneath. When they're not lifted, they meet the case at the bottom, keeping the platforms from putting any pressure on the power supply.

I haven't really found the PP2 to produce heat, but if it did, it's vents are located on the back of the unit, and it's right underneath that gap. There are also gaps on the sides of the board if it needs any more ventilation.

Yes, just one power cord for the PP2 out of this and all your pedals are powered. The Pedal Powers also have a courtesy outlet on the back of them, incase you need to power anything else, or want to use your vintage flanger with the power cord built in.

So in my setup, I've got a powercord, my guitar goes in the wah, out the tuner. Delay and verb are in the FX loop.

If you're wanting a tougher case, the Pedaltrains with hardcases are where it's at. Pedaltrains comes with hardware to mount power supplies like the Voodoo Lab underneath them, and they are exposed on the bottom, so ventilation is no worry. I for one don't like the bottom exposure of the Pedaltrains.

Feel free if you've got any more questions. I love this stuff.
    Last edited by Jedi McFly; 04.05.09 at 08:36 PM.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Sounds good. Thanks so much for the info.

I'm not sure ultimately what the final setup will be. I currently have 3 heads..a Marshall JCM800 2210 100 watt channel switching lead head, a Marshall 1959 LTD Hendrix MKII 100 watt head(no effects loop) and a Peavey 5150 head. I use the 5150 the most but I've found the effects loop to be a little odd. I have been considering checking out the new Fender 5150 3's but haven't yet. Not sure the price is warranted for my budget atm. So I'll likely be using the 5150 out and plugging the effects in direct. I still need to settle on a reverb and delay pedal. I love the spring reverb in my 2210 head but like the 5150's gain overall. I don't use any effect distortion only natural amp gain. My setup really now is a half stack. I use the 5150 head with a Marshall JCM800 lead 1960 cab with the G1275 Celestion speakers. I like how they sound.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the power and plugs you suggest. The board you suggest really is perfect for my requirements but I can't help looking at stuff like this...Trailer Trash Terrible name amazing looking boards. and --->
    PumaBoards

I love the Pedaltrain Ata case but don't like the actual board..where does the power supply go? Is it mounted under the pedals just dangling under there?..I love the idea of the pedal board being part of the case and you attach the top lock it up and go. Pedal train doesn't seem to be like that.

Well thats all for now. Thanks man. I love this stuff too and look forward to getting the gear together. I'm sure I'll have more questions b4 then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I play through the 5150 III on a regular basis, and the FX loop on it is great. Adds a tiny bit of noise, but that just be the 50 foot cable run. When it comes to Reverb and Delay, you should make use of the FX loop. Reverb for sure, must be in the FX Loop if you're using the amp's gain (as I am most of the time). Otherwise, the reverb gets distorted and just muds everything up. I prefer running delay in the FX Loop for the same reason, but a lot of guys run it out front as well.

Puma boards are awesome if you want a custom, trick looking board. I only hear good things about them and he can make you a one-of-a-kind. I believe they only come with soft cases and you'd have to buy an ATA case separately. I think the trailer trash boards are a little to flashy for me.

Yeah, on the pedaltrains the power supply mounts underneath via supplied hardware. It's kinda just dangling there exposed. I too like the idea of the board being part of it's case, like the Pedalpad design.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by At0micPunk View Post
    I bought a MXR Phase 90 used years ago. It's script logo and I've had it for maybe 12 years. Never had a problem with it working until maybe now.

I notice lately if I leave it plugged into my gear but turned off...the battery will die in a few days. Is this normal with vintage pedals? Are you supposed to unplug it when not using it? I know this may seem odd. Back when I bought it I don't remember it doing this. Also back then it was seldom I left my pedals plugged in at home and sitting for periods of time.

I have a bunch of old pedals but this may be my oldest. I don't remember this with anything I've had b4.

I'm sure many of you are more tech savy than me. Is this normal or has something gone bad in this thing? It still sounds fine. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Older pedals do eat batteries fast. You should see my old Morley Deluxe Flanger. Takes two 9 volts, and if plugged in and left on by accident, 2 and a half hours max is what you get before the sound gets crappy. I've gotta run the wallwart tranny.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

I play through the 5150 III on a regular basis, and the FX loop on it is great. Adds a tiny bit of noise, but that just be the 50 foot cable run. When it comes to Reverb and Delay, you should make use of the FX loop. Reverb for sure, must be in the FX Loop if you're using the amp's gain (as I am most of the time). Otherwise, the reverb gets distorted and just muds everything up. I prefer running delay in the FX Loop for the same reason, but a lot of guys run it out front as well.

Puma boards are awesome if you want a custom, trick looking board. I only hear good things about them and he can make you a one-of-a-kind. I believe they only come with soft cases and you'd have to buy an ATA case separately. I think the trailer trash boards are a little to flashy for me.

Yeah, on the pedaltrains the power supply mounts underneath via supplied hardware. It's kinda just dangling there exposed. I too like the idea of the board being part of it's case, like the Pedalpad design.
    Thanks for the info dude. I've always been a effect minimalist to a degree. Not that I don't like using them but I've gotten more into using them the last few years. At most in the past I'd have a Wah and maybe Phaser and Flanger with Amp Reverb. When using a multi effect system i still didn't use much though then I had some delay and chorus lightly in my general tone. I've heard nothing but great things about the 5150 III's. I'm going to have to go for it at some point. What do they run, 2- 3 grand?

Yes the Trailer Trash boards are sick. I like the flash but it's totally overkill. That money for me truly would be better spent on other gear. I don't need anything that intense. It's like shopping for new cars though..once you see and sit in the limited version of the car with all the extras the more basic car you were considering for value and practicality starts to lose it's luster. lol I like the Pedalpad design too. Seems easier to change things around and not a huge expense. I dig the attach the top and you're good to go convenience. Unless I find something similiar with a hard or ata case I'll likely go with the Pedalpad.

I'm curious what cab/speaker you use with the 5150 III. If it's the III cab how do you like the tone and speakers? Not sure what they have in them. I'll do a search. I don't like digging too deep into gear I shouldn't buy though cause the bug starts to bite you and before you know it your explaining to the wife why you needed to charge a few thousand to buy yet another half stack. There are many wonderful benefits to being married but spending a lot of cash on music gear without hassle is NOT one. lol
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 04.06.09 at 01:21 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

At Guitar Centers you could get the 5150 III head for about $1500. That's what they have them for at my guitar center, and at a few others.

When I play through the 5150 III, it goes to a an Avatar 2x12 cab w/ a V30 and a G12H30 in a cab isolation room. The G12H30 is mic'd, I'm not fond of the V30 w/ the 5150.

I haven't played through the EVH cab, but all I hear are great things about it.

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

Oh I thought they were 2k or better. Ok good to know. Thanks for the info I've enjoyed reading your responses.
    Here's the pedal I've been talking about.
    Last edited by At0micPunk; 04.06.09 at 05:33 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]