Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Ticketmaster subpoenaed over reselling

WASHINGTON (Reuters) Ticketmaster has been subpoenaed or received other requests for information from the U.S. Justice Department, the Federal Trade Commission and the New Jersey Attorney General's office, the company said in an email obtained by an industry blog.

The law enforcement agencies were interested in Ticketmaster's relationship with its reseller TicketsNow, in particular controversial sales of tickets to Bruce Springsteen shows in New Jersey on May 21 and 23, said the email displayed on TicketNews.com.

"We have received a number of subpoenas and demands for sworn information about TicketsNow and its broker clients," Ticketmaster said in the email.

"These include formal requests for information and/or subpoenas from, among others, the United States Department of Justice, the New Jersey Attorney General's office, the Federal Trade Commission and the Canadian Competition Bureau," the email said.

Ticketmaster confirmed the email was authentic but had no other comment.

Ticketmaster, which is seeking to merge with the world's largest concert promoting company Live Nation, was besieged by complaints earlier this year when fans of Bruce Springsteen who signed on to Ticketmaster to buy concert tickets were told that they had sold out within minutes. They were instead directed to the reseller TicketsNow which had considerably more expensive tickets.

Ticketmaster has said the problem was caused by a computer glitch.

The Canadian government said last month that it had asked its Competition Bureau to investigate complaints that Ticketmaster diverted tickets to its reselling subsidiary, which then sells them for far higher prices.

In February a Canadian man filed a C$500 million ($407 million) lawsuit against Ticketmaster, charging the company broke the law by reselling tickets at inflated prices.

That same month, Ticketmaster settled with the state of New Jersey to resolve more than 2,000 complaints over how it had handled ticket sales for Springsteen concerts. Canadians, most recently, are complaining about inflated prices to hear Leonard Cohen.
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:42 PM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

Its about time!
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    WASHINGTON (Reuters) ....Ticketmaster, which is seeking to merge with the world's largest concert promoting company Live Nation, was besieged by complaints earlier this year when fans of Bruce Springsteen who signed on to Ticketmaster to buy concert tickets were told that they had sold out within minutes. They were instead directed to the reseller TicketsNow which had considerably more expensive tickets.

Ticketmaster has said the problem was caused by a computer glitch.....
    BULLSHIT! The same thing happened last week with U2 tickets.

I hope they get sckewered in the ass. Probably won't but one can hope.

Favorite VH Album

Anything Mike played on
    Favorite VH Song

Anything Mike played on
    Last Online

07.30.17 @ 08:59 PM
    Liked 60 Times in 35 Posts

Donor

TicketBastard.
    LowLifeFlatHeadScum

[sigpic][/sigpic]

Your Hacked Nude Photo Here!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

TM needs to be bent over hard like all of us have been for years.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained, DOA
    Last Online

06.14.17 @ 06:46 PM
    Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts

Donor

I remember working at a store that was a Ticketmaster outlet back in college. This guy came in one day and bought 10 tickets to a James Brown concert. Not long afterwards, the show was canceled. He came in for his ticket refund and I had to tell him that the $2.50 per ticket service charge was not refundable. He went nuts wanting his $25.00 back, and ended up calling the police to the store. He filed a complaint with the officer right there. Maybe a year later, Ticketmaster changed their policy to allow for service charge refunds as well. They've always been thieving bastards.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

07.01.10 @ 06:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From Billboard.com

Sen. Schumer Proposes New Federal Scalping Law

U2's ticket on-sale was the backdrop for Sen. Chuck Schumer's anti-scalping law announcement.

April 06, 2009 09:49 AM ET

Ray Waddell, Nashville
    With the backdrop of this morning's second round of U2 tickets for their fall concert in New York, U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer unveiled new legislation to improve fans' chances of getting tickets at face price and crack down on ticket resellers. The legislation imposes a two-day waiting period from when tickets go on sale via an authorized sales channel before a ticket reseller can buy those tickets to put on the secondary market, according to a press release.

Schumer's legislation is geared to help ensure fans get first crack at good seats at face value prices before ticket resellers buy up tickets to sell on the secondary market. Schumer's legislation also requires ticket resellers to obtain a federal registration number from the FTC, and post that number in conjunction with all ticket re-sales on brokerage website and through other means.

Schumer's legislation will be introduced when the Senate goes back in session in two weeks and then it must be passed by both House and the Senate and signed by President Obama before it becomes law.

Tickets for U2's performances, including the second and final performances in Chicago, Boston and New York are on sale on Ticketmaster this morning at 10am. The tour is produced by Live Nation, which is in talks to merge with Ticketmaster Entertainment pending regulatory approval.

Schumer also announced yesterday that he has discussed his proposed legislation with Ticketmaster and that Ticketmaster supports his proposal as well as his efforts to reform and bring more transparency to the resale industry. Schumer said that he will meet with the heads of Ticketmaster and other ticket distributors to discuss a possible code-of-conduct for ticket reselling in New York and across the country.

"I am very happy to support Sen. Schumer's thoughtful proposal and leadership on this issue," says Irving Azoff, CEO of Ticketmaster Entertainment, Inc. in a prepared statement. "Ticketmaster recognizes that the ticket resale industry needs far-reaching changes to better protect consumers and ensure fair access to tickets. Staggering the resale process to commence 48 hours after an on-sale is a very important step in reforming the process and bringing transparency to the on-sale process."

Schumer's bill will not apply to season ticket holders for entertainment events or purchasers of a package of tickets for multiple events that are part of the same entertainment series. A secondary seller can purchase those tickets once they are listed for sale by the ticket holder subject to and in accordance with state and local laws and regulations.

The bill will also require ticket resellers to obtain a federal registration number from the FTC and will mandate that the resellers post that number in conjunction with all ticket resales on brokerage websites and through other means. This will help prevent fraudulent, anonymous sales. Venues may buy back tickets from ticket holders without obtaining a registration number. Finally, for enforcement purposes, the bill will require that all paper and e-tickets contain on their face the date and time of sale. Any falsification of this information will also violate the law.

Given fans widespread acceptance and use of the secondary market, Schumer's bill does not make ticket reselling illegal. When ticket buyers need to sell their own tickets, or they want to attend an event and are willing to pay more not to be part of the initial on-sale, ticket reselling is acceptable, according to the release.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so a two day waiting period huh? I don't see this making a dent in the issue.

I'd much rather see a rule enacted preventing tickets from being sold above face value. If the artists and promotions company want to charge 2000 for a ticket, let them, but let's get rid of their front man who deverts the blame and diverts consumers attention away from the promoters and artists and towards third party scalping bastards.

I have no problem with capitalism and I have no problem U2, Springsteen, or any other group big or small, popular or underground, from deciding for themselves how much they are worth and allowing the market to work everything out.

What I have a problem with is the system as it exists. Don't try to charge me 2000 dollars for a ticket that says 75 bucks on it. Don't have an army of employees lined up ready to buy the maximum # of tickets each so they can immediately be posted for sale at inflated prices. What I have a problem with is chickenshit hipocrite artists and vile promoters using the sonofabitch scalpers as a front so they themselves don't have to say "yeah, we're charging 2000 for front row seats" instead leaving themselves an opportunity to say their hands are clean and they have as big a problem with the issue as us fans or trying to come off as some sort of freaking hero by doing a raffle like U2 does to bring people up close. Give me a break. Enough of the gimmicks, enough of the lipservice, enough of the grandstanding...let's bring real, transparent, common sense and honest business practice to something that should be so simple and full of positive energy.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Eruption
    Last Online

01.10.13 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by edwardv View Post
    Its about time!
    Exactly I cannot believe the crap they have been getting away with!!!

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 AM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 904 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post

I'd much rather see a rule enacted preventing tickets from being sold above face value. If the artists and promotions company want to charge 2000 for a ticket, let them, but let's get rid of their front man who deverts the blame and diverts consumers attention away from the promoters and artists and towards third party scalping bastards.

I have no problem with capitalism and I have no problem U2, Springsteen, or any other group big or small, popular or underground, from deciding for themselves how much they are worth and allowing the market to work everything out.

What I have a problem with is the system as it exists. Don't try to charge me 2000 dollars for a ticket that says 75 bucks on it. Don't have an army of employees lined up ready to buy the maximum # of tickets each so they can immediately be posted for sale at inflated prices. What I have a problem with is chickenshit hipocrite artists and vile promoters using the sonofabitch scalpers as a front so they themselves don't have to say "yeah, we're charging 2000 for front row seats" instead leaving themselves an opportunity to say their hands are clean and they have as big a problem with the issue as us fans or trying to come off as some sort of freaking hero by doing a raffle like U2 does to bring people up close. Give me a break. Enough of the gimmicks, enough of the lipservice, enough of the grandstanding...let's bring real, transparent, common sense and honest business practice to something that should be so simple and full of positive energy.
    I hear ya!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 1,862 Times in 731 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post

My experience with Ticketsnow is they actually do put that $2000.00 price you pay on the ticket. When I bought Mohegan Sun tix through them the price I paid was on the ticket, and it was NOT the advertised price.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    My experience with Ticketsnow is they actually do put that $2000.00 price you pay on the ticket. When I bought Mohegan Sun tix through them the price I paid was on the ticket, and it was NOT the advertised price.
    hahah...that's funny. I guess they're not even printing the tickets until they sell.

Which is another way of doing it...have auctions period. Every seat in the place goes up for auction at 10 am and the auctions end at various days. Whoever wins wins. Tickets are printed with the winning bid amount, actual name of the winner and then they get mailed out before the show or they are all will called when the person shows up with their photo id.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

On Fire Eddie's Littler Monster's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

07.14.17 @ 10:27 AM
    Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

You know, Pearl Jam (among others) tried to fight this 15 years ago, and nobody wanted to listen, and even lost fans for it. They saw this type of shit for what it was and got laughed at. So now here we are buying tickets at scalpers prices through a "third party" ticket broker which is really owned by Ticket Master, and they are screwing us even more. And the artists dont have any choice in the matter, because the Government let this all happen to begin with by letting Ticketmaster control all the venues.

So now, we're suppose to jump for joy because the government is looking into this. All that will happen is that they'll get a slap on the wrist.

Nothing will come of this until the government declares this the monopoly that it is.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yep...i knew a ton of PJ fans back then and all they did was bitch and moan and yell shit like "why can't they just play music?! I don't pay to listen to them bitch about ticketmaster. I don't need to hear their bullshit politics."

well, because their efforts did not grow more legs and more people didn't support it, we are now in this shape.

consumers are just as culpable for this situation as anyone because people have continued to support the system by giving ticketmaster and scalpers their money. If people boycotted scalpers, this problem wouldn't exist.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.