Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The who and who NOT to buy from thread

Hi everyone-
    Over the past few months, its become apparent that we're seeing more and more people get taken advantage of when they spend a good amount of money to have custom guitars made by people that don't have a huge name. I'm posting this thread with the hope that we as a community can band together to STOP being ripped off.

Fairly simple idea, if you have gotten a product from a small company that was good, tell us about it, for example say you bought a 5150 kit from Joe Smoes guitar kit store. We need to know, how was it? Good, bad, indifferent? How was the customer service? Did they get back to you quickly? Blow you off? How were the manners? Were they willing to go above and beyond, or did it come off that you were a pest to them?

We really need some way of better spreading this information to each other. My hope is that we could ALL band together and share our experiences, good or bad, and STOP deadbeats from taking our hard earned money. Times can be tough for a lot of us. Lets watch out for each other, and maybe it can help a WORTHY business out as well. -Red43j
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNIG
    Last Online

01.26.13 @ 09:47 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

legacy one took my friends money about a year ago and he has not responded to any corrospondance.

http://www.theguitarboard.com/

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anthony-
    Can you tell us more details?
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    Hi everyone-
    Over the past few months, its become apparent that we're seeing more and more people get taken advantage of when they spend a good amount of money to have custom guitars made by people that don't have a huge name. I'm posting this thread with the hope that we as a community can band together to STOP being ripped off.

Fairly simple idea, if you have gotten a product from a small company that was good, tell us about it, for example say you bought a 5150 kit from Joe Smoes guitar kit store. We need to know, how was it? Good, bad, indifferent? How was the customer service? Did they get back to you quickly? Blow you off? How were the manners? Were they willing to go above and beyond, or did it come off that you were a pest to them?

We really need some way of better spreading this information to each other. My hope is that we could ALL band together and share our experiences, good or bad, and STOP deadbeats from taking our hard earned money. Times can be tough for a lot of us. Lets watch out for each other, and maybe it can help a WORTHY business out as well. -Red43j
    +1 I think this will be very worth everyones while. Let's just keep it within self protective bounds. No one want's a slander or defamation of character suit on their hands. You wanna chime in on this Red, and set the rules and regs as far as fine detail? Maybe a PM policy for real hardcores? I'd suggest keeping it to personal experiences only. No friend of a friend shit in this one. These guys (as shitty as their business state may be in at the moment) are still trying to make a buck and could simply be in a bad place, and previously built outstanding instruments. (ie. A cousin of mine lost his reputation being in business with his brother in law. He got divorced, and things got real ugly) Workmanship issues I'd say are fair game. Mags do it all the time. If a suspected manufacturer does by chance read about quality issues on here, it should be a kick in the ass to improve. And if you've been ripped off finacially, like not getting your money back, A warranty not honoured, or bought something on Ebay or the list, and not recieved what you bought...then they know they ripped you off, and should pay the price with a bad rep.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 04.04.09 at 01:27 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also-
    Be SURE to tell him he needs to go to Consumer Affairs. Guys, I'm telling you, Consumer Affiars can do wonders.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

II, FW, OU812, club days
    Favorite VH Song

Cabo Wabo, Hear About it Later
    Last Online

08.08.15 @ 09:37 PM
    Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

cool thread idea
    Any musicians near Boston / Cape Cod want to get together and play some VH? I play drums, guitar, keyboard, bass, and I sing. I want to start a VH tribute band. Contact me if interested.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    +1 I think this will be very worth everyones while. Let's just keep it within self protective bounds. No one want's a slander or defamation of character suit on their hands. You wanna chime in on this Red, and set the rules and regs as far as fine detail? Maybe a PM policy for real hardcores? I'd suggest keeping it to personal experiences only. No friend of a friend shit in this one. These guys (as shitty as their business state may be in at the moment) are still trying to make a buck and could simply be in a bad place, and previously built outstanding instruments. (ie. A cousin of mine lost his reputation being in business with his brother in law. He got divorced, and things got real ugly) Workmanship issues I'd say are fair game. Mags do it all the time. If a suspected manufacturer does by chance read about quality issues on here, it should be a kick in the ass to improve.
    Sleeper-
    Heres my take-
    If you had GOOD PRODUCT:
    -Tell us what you got. We want to know! Pictures are ALWAYS a plus (come on, we want to see it!).

-Who you got it from. If they have a website, post it!

-What do you like about it?

-Did they do something special for you? Maybe they went above and beyond. Let us know! I remember an old boss saying that if someone gives you good service you may tell one person, if you get bad service you tell lots of people. Lets spread the word for the good businesses.

If you got BAD PRODUCT:
    -Again, tell us who you got it from. We don't want to know how much you hate the person, and don't bother us with stating outright you hate someones product, TELL US SPECIFICALLY what the problem, or should I say problems you have/had with the product you bought. Pictures will help as well. Don't bring your emotions into this. Just state whats wrong.

-If you got treated lousy, tell us specifically what happened. Again, just state the facts.

-Maybe you got ripped off? Tell us who, what, where, when, and if you tried to follow up wirh Paypal, the Better Business Buerau, and/or Consumer Affairs. If someone in particular is ripping people off and we can spot it, we can post info like the said agencies above to help out each other in a quicker amount of time (I think of the 357 Customs fiasco 2 years back. Man, if we could have shut that down, a lot of people would have had less Xmas heartache). MAKE SURE you can back up that you were ripped. Anyone buying off the net should be responsible enough to keep receipts so you have proof. Use your head, DO NOT post you got ripped off if you can't prove it.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT use this as oportunity to tarnish someones reputation. I would hope that the mods will act accordingly to any posts that fall out of these simple guidelines.

Hopefully, we can have more good come out of this than bad. I'm sure theres several GREAT guitar companies that are under the radar. Again, lets use this responsibly.
    Last edited by Red43j; 04.04.09 at 01:58 PM. Reason: Added more specifics. More edits will probably come down the pipe.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Sleeper-
    Heres my take-
    If you had GOOD PRODUCT:
    -Tell us what you got. We want to know! Pictures are ALWAYS a plus (come on, we want to see it!).

-Who you got it from. If they have a website, post it!

-What do you like about it?

-Did they do something special for you?

If you got BAD PRODUCT:
    -Again, tell us who you got it from. We don't want to know how much you hate the person, and don't bother us with stating outright you hate someones product, TELL US SPECIFICALLY what the problem, or should I say problems you have/had with the product you bought. Pictures will help as well. Don't bring your emotions into this. Just state whats wrong.

-If you got treated lousy, tell us specifically what happened. Again, just state the facts.

-Maybe you got ripped off? Tell us who, what, where, when, and if you tried to follow up wirh Paypal, the Better Business Buerau, and/or Consumer Affairs. If someone in particular is ripping people off and we can spot it, we can post info like the said agencies above to help out each other in a quicker amount of time (I think of the 357 Customs fiasco 2 years back. Man, if we could have shut that down, a lot of people would have had less Xmas heartache).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT use this as oportunity to tarnish someones reputation. I would hope that the mods will act accordingly to any posts that fall out of these simple guidelines.

Hopefully, we can have more good come out of this than bad. I'm sure theres several GREAT guitar companies that are under the radar. Again, lets use this responsibly.
    Exactly where I was going. You covered it all. It's your thread, and I just wanted to chime in on the slander issue. It get's real bad real fast! You nailed it on the head. This should get a sticky. It'll save alot time for people trying to choose a builder/vendor.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Exactly where I was going. You covered it all. It's your thread, and I just wanted to chime in on the slander issue. It get's real bad real fast! You nailed it on the head. This should get a sticky. It'll save alot time for people trying to choose a builder/vendor.
    Sleeper-
    I don't care if you jump in with something that should be said. I just want the ripoffs to stop and a spot for EVERYONE who always asks, "Who should I go to for this replica?" to see what people think! Reviews CAN'T get you into trouble if its the FACTS!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

10.26.16 @ 03:37 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is a great idea for a thread. I'll put the first endorsement up here.

GOOD: Scott Fletcher (of vanhalenclones.com)

I haven't yet bought a body or neck from Scott, but a little while ago I needed a raw maple top for a guitar. I told him I needed the 'least figured and cheapest piece' he could find, since I was going to paint over the maple cap anyway. He not only found me a cheap piece quickly, he even cut it in half for me. When I got it, it turns out that my 'cheap piece of wood' actually had some flame pattern to it -- and I only paid for an 'unfigured' piece!

I have also sent Scott numerous emails and messages asking him questions relating to wood types and a future neck build he is going to do for me, and he is always quick to respond with great info.

Overall: Great person to deal with, great quality product.
    Last edited by mrjstudios; 04.04.09 at 02:54 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Sleeper-
    I don't care if you jump in with something that should be said. I just want the ripoffs to stop and a spot for EVERYONE who always asks, "Who should I go to for this replica?" to see what people think! Reviews CAN'T get you into trouble if its the FACTS!
    Yeah. Thanks man. Great thread idea again by the way.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I just had a great experience with Stan at InventingShed.com (hence my mentioning them in several other threads). He built me a custom Wolfgang replica body that turned out just excellent. Stan was very thorough about communicating before, during, and after the build process, and was EXTREMELY detail oriented. I can't say enough good things about the experience.

eBay: http://myworld.ebay.com/inventingshed/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    I just had a great experience with Stan at InventingShed.com (hence my mentioning them in several other threads). He built me a custom Wolfgang replica body that turned out just excellent. Stan was very thorough about communicating before, during, and after the build process, and was EXTREMELY detail oriented. I can't say enough good things about the experience.

She's a beaut Andrew.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post

Is that together yet, Andrew?
    I remember seeing these pics before, and I really thought it was unique looking. I can't wait to see finished product.

Favorite VH Album

Most
    Favorite VH Song

Jamie's Crying
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 04:06 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will only name someone good-

Eric Ganlguff made me a very, very nice and RESONANT Mahog/figured maple Wolfie the way I wanted it!!! The price was right, and he does some great looking stuff!!! I can't wait to get my thin ash Wolfie!!!!

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/ericgangluff
    Dammit!!! I still smell like cotton candy!!!