Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 25 123411 ... LastLast
    Live Music Capital of the World" Austin, Texas!
    Favorite VH Album

5150 Baby!
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

07.15.12 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Need to get a hold of James at Frankenstraat!!!

I need to get a hold of James. Last I heard from James my project was suppose to be finished over the Christmas holidays.

This is the last e-mail addy I have for James and I can't get any replies: james_duffy4@hotmail.com

I tried to go to Frankenstraat.com and my Mac browsers Firefox and Safari and the won't let because they say "Reported Attack Site!"
    Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

So anyway, anybody have a ph. # and/or e-mail for James please pass it along.

Thx,
    Dan!
    Last edited by austxdan; 04.03.09 at 01:23 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Good luck...

Duffy, James
    NJ 07726
    US
    917 536 6038

This is a number out of an old forum. Recently, I tried to buy reflectors & neckplates from him, 10 days went by, never got a single response from him. Filed a complaint with paypal, recovered my money, still never heard from him. I don't know how this guy is in business. When you see some happy customers and some unhappy ones, buying isn't buying, it's a gamble. When I gamble, it usually involves cards and good looking waitresses bringing me drinks. Anyway, good luck, I had 3 e-mail addresses on him and never heard anything from any of them. And, I think the website was responsible for infecting my work computer.
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Banned!
    Last Online

04.20.10 @ 03:48 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the email still works..he just does'nt answer anymore..would you if you had so many people that wanted to beat the crap out of you?...

I have to say..cut your losses and move on. your money's gone.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

07.19.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

He posts here under the name "JamesInNewYork" or something similar

He screwed me over awhile back. I just got tired of chasing him and wrote it off as a loss

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained & Romeo Delight
    Last Online

04.07.16 @ 01:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by austxdan View Post
    I need to get a hold of James. Last I heard from James my project was suppose to be finished over the Christmas holidays.

This is the last e-mail addy I have for James and I can't get any replies: james_duffy4@hotmail.com

I tried to go to Frankenstraat.com and my Mac browsers Firefox and Safari and the won't let because they say "Reported Attack Site!"
    Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

So anyway, anybody have a ph. # and/or e-mail for James please pass it along.

Thx,
    Dan!
    Check your PM's. Everything you need to get the help you need is in the PM. Good luck and don't hesitate to hit me up if you need any more help!
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    the email still works..he just does'nt answer anymore..would you if you had so many people that wanted to beat the crap out of you?...

I have to say..cut your losses and move on. your money's gone.
    My friend-
    NEVER cut your losses. It makes you a chump. YOU WORKED HARd FOR YOUR MONEY, DO NOT JUST GIVE IT AWAY!!!!!!!! Just ask questions on how to handle it. I NEVER would want to see any of you get taken. TWO agencies is all you need, the Monmouth County Department of Consumer Affairs and the BBB. They did wonders, WONDERS for my situation regarding said individual...
    Eddie must think I'm a BOZO to want to drop THAT much on one of his new Charvel Guitars!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rs812 View Post
    He posts here under the name "JamesInNewYork" or something similar

He screwed me over awhile back. I just got tired of chasing him and wrote it off as a loss
    Again-
    read my last post. I HATE it when you guys don't know what to do, it bums me out for my VHforums bros.! DON'T let this guy walk over you, stop him in his tracks, you can do it, it doesn't take long at all! Good luck guys, I'm rooting for you!
    Last edited by Red43j; 04.03.09 at 02:55 PM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just going to share with you guys my PM to austxdan:

If you really want to get the said persons attention, its real easy.
    Contact the Better Business Bureau AND get ahold of consumer affairs. I EVEN have information for you, as to who you should contact:

Consumer Affairs:
    phone #-732-431-7900

Address for Consumer Affairs:
    Department of Consumer Affairs
    50 E. Main Street
    P.O. Box 1255
    Freehold, N.J. 07728-1255
    Patrica Watson is the director

Your point of contact is Harvey Orlick (Make sure you contact Harvey, hes ALL too familiar with James). Harveys number is 732-431-7883 or his email is horlick@co.monmouth.nj.us

I had a LOUSY experience with the said individual. I personally would NEVER recommend him to anyone. I got a guitar after a YEAR of broken promises, and long story short, the neck warped. Like you, I always seemed to NEVER be able to get in touch with him. Get in touch with Harvey. Very nice man. As soon as you do, James will start calling. My recommendation is just getting your money and parts back-honestly, DO NOT settle for his guitars. You'll be disappointed. There are TONS of other people that do the work he does and they get product that isn't sub par. Good luck, don't wait much longer, get it done! -Josh Smith aka Red43j

P.S. and for those wondering why I changed my stance from a year ago, simply put, when I first got the guitar, it seemed fine. It wasn't until later I began to notice things. I'm bummed to have EVER mislead anyone into thinking they are great. If ANYONE took my review and bought one, I sincerly apologize. They are SHIT.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You know, I wish I had done a little research before ordering from his website. I was glad to get a full refund from paypal. It was the only bad experience I've ever had buying something online.
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red43j View Post
    My friend-
    NEVER cut your losses. It makes you a chump. YOU WORKED HARd FOR YOUR MONEY, DO NOT JUST GIVE IT AWAY!!!!!!!! Just ask questions on how to handle it. I NEVER would want to see any of you get taken. TWO agencies is all you need, the Monmouth County Department of Consumer Affairs and the BBB. They did wonders, WONDERS for my situation regarding said individual...
    Oh man...don't worry..i NEVER cut my loses personnaly...was not talking about myself. but 99% of the time, people don't know what to do basicaly.

I had issues with Monster Guitars, and i made sure i got my $$$ back.

i'm NEVER gonna deal with basement fabricators anymore. never on your life. UNLESS...they are VERY well recommended.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by al3d View Post
    Oh man...don't worry..i NEVER cut my loses personnaly...was not talking about myself. but 99% of the time, people don't know what to do basicaly.

I had issues with Monster Guitars, and i made sure i got my $$$ back.

i'm NEVER gonna deal with basement fabricators anymore. never on your life. UNLESS...they are VERY well recommended.
    Good.
    I was worried you might think I was being a jerk to ya. The 'net has a tendency to make people come off sounding arrogant. I just don't want to see people taken advantage of. I've seen posts time and again with you know who stating the same things-he takes the money and doesn't deliver. LAME. BTW, I didn't notice what body you chouse for your 5150?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good.
    I was worried you might think I was being a jerk to ya. The 'net has a tendency to make people come off sounding arrogant. I just don't want to see people taken advantage of. I've seen posts time and again with you know who stating the same things-he takes the money and doesn't deliver. LAME. BTW, I didn't notice what body you chouse for your 5150?
    BOTTOM line-
    If you go through Paypal, you have 30 days to get a dispute going with Paypal. anyone notice the timeframe it takes on Paypal for you know who? Read what hes selling, and then look at how long it "takes" for him to send it out- he gives himself the time to be able to strip you of the chance of disputing with Paypal!

If you have gone through Paypal, and the time has expired to dispute, like I said, contact Harvey. Those people are awesome.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good.
    it's made by KNE guitars..and i use an alder body as it's my prefered wood. maybe next one i'll try Swamp ash.

thanks for all your input..sure many will find it usefull. if Ebay could cancel is damn store...people would stop get screwed

Last Online

08.05.17 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 42 Times in 17 Posts

The best bet is to do your research and you find out pretty quick on these sites who is the scamming shit head. I found that Kyle at DiveBomb was honest and does good work and backs it up.

Regardless, another tip...use an American Express card...they will protect you and credit the funds if they find the seller doesnt deliver the goods

Or, a friend in the law enforcement biz told me to mail a cashiers check (preferably postal) and if they accept it, cash it and dont deliver your order it becomes mail fraud which is a federal crime...that's a whole new can of worms for these small time criminals...they dont want to get federal or its serious time.

Good luck
    Last edited by LeftyVanHalen; 04.03.09 at 06:28 PM.

Forum Frontman
    Last Online

07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I'll throw out my experience here as well since we're talking about Frankenstraat.

First off, I've used several of the builders we here on the Links are familiar with: Divebomb, Inc. (Kyle--a member here), Frankenstraat (James Duffy), KNE, Mammoth Guitars, and most recently InventingShed.com.

The Good:

*Divebomb, Inc.: Kyle made me a great EBMM-style neck. It took a couple of months, but the price was good and I'm quite impressed with the neck in general. Unfortunately I'm taking my sweet-ass time finishing the Warmoth body this neck was built to fit onto, so I can't give a review of its functionality and playability. I suspect all will be good.

*KNE: Excellent basic guitar bodies. Mitch does good work, and they don't break the bank account. (He can't do basswood, though--bummer.)

*InventingShed.com: I just had Stan build me my replica Wolfgang body (pics have been posted in other threads), and he was easily the best builder I've ever worked with. Super nice guy, excellent work, the price was fair, he got the piece done in just a few weeks, and he was always in regular communication from beginning to end. He's been posting Wolfgang-style bodies to eBay recently, and I highly recommend his work.

The Bad:

*Mammoth Guitars: This was the famous truss-rod punching through the back of the skunk stripe flame maple neck I posted pictures of a few months ago. I bought the neck off eBay, and it was a dud in more ways than one. To be fair, the builder refunded my money once I sent the neck back to him (though it took him almost two months to do so). I've since adopted Ron4406's term "garage luthier" for guys like this.

*Frankenstraat: For all the good things I ever heard about James and his work, I didn't really experience it. I hesitated to put him in the "bad" category, though, because I didn't directly have a terrible experience as some others; but my one transaction with him left me a little turned off. I won a paddle headstock neck from him on eBay and paid him to do the extra work to carve the Woflgang headstock. He started the whole thing out by complaining about how low the auction price ended and got short with me when I asked him a question about the neck (He said: "Read the auction already!"), but he later changed his tune when I told him I posted here and a couple of other guitar forums regularly. The neck took more than two months to get to me and was a very nice cut of birdseye, but I could also see several obvious cut marks around some of the edges. I've had the neck almost ten months now (it's going on the Wolf replica body made for me by Inventing Shed), and the thing has seriously dried out---the fret ends are WAY popping out the sides. My tech currently has it to trim the fret ends and check the overall leveling (which will cost me at least another $50). I don't yet know how this neck will perform once it is mounted and has intense string pull on it, but because of some of the reviews I've read I've had a genuine Wolfgang Special neck standing by to take the place of the Frankenstraat neck should any problems arise. Overall, I won't be buying from Frankenstraat again because I just didn't feel I was being treated all that well.