Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    Banned!
    Last Online

06.26.09 @ 12:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Do You Think Chickenfoot Is On Van Halen's Radar?

While Eddie doesn't seem to be the kind of person to monitor what Sammy and Mike are doing - I can see Alex coming to Ed with the two new Chickenfoot tracks (or maybe more if they have connections to get an advance album) to see what they have come up with.

I don't care what anyone says, but I think Chickenfoot will have an influence on any new Van Halen album in the sense that if it is really good, Van Halen will feel compelled to try harder as opposed to the half assed they have been on the past Dave/Sammy new tracks.

There is no way that Eddie could accept that Chickenfoot made a better album than Van Halen.
    Last edited by hey man; 04.02.09 at 08:33 PM.

Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies/Mean Street
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:02 PM
    Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts

Premium Member

Unfortunately, I think you grossly over estimate Eddie and Al's amount of care when it involves Sam and Mike. At most he might feel a little disgruntled at the fact, but it will have no effect on the musical out put of Van Halen.
    Van Halen Reunion Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky July 6th, 2004
    "It's a little hot in here tonight!"

Van Halen 2012 Tour
    Louisville, Kentucky February 28th, 2012

Van Halen 2015 Tour
    Noblesville, Indiana September 2nd 2015

Assistant Director of Personnel
    The 3 Brigade

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Cactus View Post
    Unfortunately, I think you grossly over estimate Eddie and Al's amount of care when it involves Sam and Mike. At most he might feel a little disgruntled at the fact, but it will have no effect on the musical out put of Van Halen.
    I totally disagree. It's human nature to want to know what the other guy is doing and if Chickenfoot releases an album that gets "return of rock" praise - I think it's fair to say that Van Halen will at least be aware of Chickenfoot's music and will do everything in their power to make a better album. Eddie seems that bitter.
    Last edited by hey man; 04.02.09 at 08:44 PM.

Favorite VH Album

('78-'84) VH 1; ('86-'95) 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Dave- I'm The One ; Sam- 5150
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 1,033 Times in 543 Posts

I really don't think Ed gives a shit about anyone but himself. He doesn't care what these guys are up to.
    VH with Dave ('78-'84) - The best years....the "real" VH.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.
    VH with Gary ('98) - Fucking disaster. WTF was that??
    VH with Wolf/Dave ('12-'15) - Amazing comeback. Smokin' album and tours.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Double Down View Post
    I really don't think Ed gives a shit about anyone but himself. He doesn't care what these guys are up to.
    Until the media starts saying Van Halen who? - if the album is that good.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by hey man View Post
    Until the media starts saying Van Halen who? - if the album is that good.
    They've been saying that since about 1996.
    VH with Sam ('86-'96) - Incredible era....."We have renamed this town 'New Halen!'.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They've been saying that since about 1996.
    But up until now - Sammy has never released anything that could hold up to Van Halen in terms of new material. It's a realistic thought that Chickenfoot may be better than Van Halen. The point being is that Eddie may want to prove that wrong.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

Of course they have to be aware of what Chickenfoot is doing. Even people who aren't VH fans know about it, I'd assume the two people who worked with Sam and Mike for so long know what's going on.

That said, I don't think Ed really gives a shit. Chickenfoot puts out two new songs for the fans' listening pleasure, Ed puts out overpriced shoes.

Ed only cares about himself and making money off any way possible before having to go into 5150 and record. There's no evidence against that.

I'm sure he really doesn't care if Chickenfoot is successful. As long as he thinks Van Halen is better the way it is than The Foot, then he's not going to give into the hype.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

But up until now - Sammy has never released anything that could hold up to Van Halen in terms of new material. It's a realistic thought that Chickenfoot may be better than Van Halen. The point being is that Eddie may want to prove that wrong.
    Marching to Mars did.

While Sam was never able to stay mainstream as a solo artist post-VH, the closest he got to that was with MTM. "Little White Lie" was a tremendous success (at least around these parts). He was fresh off the VH split and the anger and frustration translated to an intense--and often fun--album. The best thing he's ever done by a country mile, if you ask me.

Compare that to VH3, well...there is no comparison. MTM leaves it way back in the dust.

Ed could've put MTM and later Red Voodoo to shame with the VH3 follow-up, but instead he decided to fire Gary. I think a follow-up could've been successful too, since I'm sure the band had learned from the mistakes they made on the previous record. Since that decision, I pretty much have been under the impression that Ed doesn't really care anymore...
    Last edited by ZachenFoot; 04.02.09 at 09:01 PM.
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

"He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    Marching to Mars did.

While Sam was never able to stay mainstream as a solo artist post-VH, the closest he got to that was with MTM. "Little White Lie" was a tremendous success (at least around these parts). He was fresh off the VH split and the anger and frustration translated to an intense--and often fun--album. The best thing he's ever done by a country mile, if you ask me.

Compare that to VH3, well...there is no comparison. MTM leaves it way back in the dust.

Ed could've put MTM and later Red Voodoo to shame with the VH3 follow-up, but instead he decided to fire Gary. I think a follow-up could've been successful too, since I'm sure the band had learned from the mistakes they made on the previous record. Since that decision, I pretty much have been under the impression that Ed doesn't really care anymore...
    I agree that MTM was the closest, but the album is all over the place and has too many soft rock songs. I was hoping that Sammy was going to release a Balance/FUCK like album without Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:06 PM
    Liked 573 Times in 314 Posts

Donor

There is no way that Eddie could accept that Chickenfoot made a better album than Van Halen.
    Um, you DO remember Van Halen 3, don't you? I'm guessing it's safe to say that whatever Chickenfoot puts out will be a LOT better than that. And Eddie thought that was great.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Um, you DO remember Van Halen 3, don't you? I'm guessing it's safe to say that whatever Chickenfoot puts out will be a LOT better than that. And Eddie thought that was great.
    I think Eddie now knows he fucked up. Everyone thinks what they are doing is great as they are doing it.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

That's not true at all. Sammy has put out PLENTY of material that puts to shame the crap Ed threw our way the past 12 years.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vhrocks2005 View Post
    Ed could've put MTM and later Red Voodoo to shame with the VH3 follow-up, but instead he decided to fire Gary. I think a follow-up could've been successful too, since I'm sure the band had learned from the mistakes they made on the previous record.
    Not that you're doing it, but I'm so sick of this notion around here that a follow up record with Gary was going to be some kind of masterpiece. There is absolutely NO BASIS to that argument and I can't begin to understand why it's constantly suggested that we were all somehow robbed of the album "that could have been."

Gary was a horrible, horrible fit for the band and Ed's writing was at an all-time low. I'll place my money on the fact that a follow-up to VH3 would have been every bit the piece of turd that VH3 was.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's not true at all. Sammy has put out PLENTY of material that puts to shame the crap Ed threw our way the past 12 years.
    None of his solo albums are as good as his work with Van Halen. MTM was close, but the rest are badly produced solo albums with little effort made to the songs. Sammy said it himself - he isn't looking to compete with other bands or solo artists and just makes albums for fun. Meaning he probably hasn't put forth the effort he has with Chickenfoot since Van Halen.