Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Smoking and other assorted "sin" tax items

So today the new federal cigarette tax took effect. Went from 39 cents to over a dollar per pack. The money is going to fund children's health insurance but in the same newscast we were told that the fed hoped that the tax would deter people from smoking.

So, here we go:

1. If the Fed has determined that there are too many children without insurance and that providing it should be a priority, why is it only smokers who need to step up and pay for it.

2. If smokers actually stopped smoking then where would the money come from?

3. Should smokers feel compelled to smoke even more in order to ensure that poor children have access to quality health care?

4. If the true nature of the tax is to get people to stop doing things that are unhealthy when will we see federal tax increases on fast food, food high in saturated fat, sodium and refined sugar? When will we see taxes on bungee jumping, racing cars, sky diving and other activities that are deemed "unhealthy" and built upon too much risk?

This is just the most recent case of what I deem to be absolutely preposterous taxes on groups of people who make easy targets yet are inherently unfair and hipocritial. In Texas they have been talking about their filthy taxes on cigarettes (and the lotto) as being integral to funding education...yet once again, we are told that the tax is meant to discourage use of tobacco and gambling.

I find it ludicrous that those who want to smoke should have to pay for the priveledge of doing so at a higher clip than others who choose to spend time doing other things.

I also find it very very problematic that talk of legalizing drugs or gambling is ALWAYS accompanied by some ridiculous notion of "we should tax it like crazy!"

Why? Who is the government (federal/state/local) to decide which behaviours should be tax free, taxed moderately and taxed heavily?

"sin" taxes should be repealed immediately.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

It's crazy, and when you add to the problem that cigrarette manufacturers just raised their prices, it makes it hurt that much more. Now Florida is considering raising the tax per pack to a dollar.....swell.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:58 PM
    Liked 2,388 Times in 1,490 Posts

Premium Member

I don`t smoke never have it killed my mom and dad. I do think people who want to smoke should be free to. Over taxing will only cause the black market to become stronger for the criminals. I do think drugs should be legal and taxed too but only if it results in a lowering of the income tax for all brackets.However, name me a case where the government ever created a new tax to lower or eliminate another tax? Your never getting rid of booze,cigarettes.drugs,gambling,or prostitution.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I love them all!!!!
    Last Online

02.09.16 @ 03:21 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, they could tax something that would help pay for a lot of stuff in this country!!

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

it's just a way to tax the middle class indirectly.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

I can remember when there was a bill to tax premium cigars at $10.00 a cigar. I sure am glad tha never passed. If it did I certainly would have quit.
    I agree with one of Brokens statement. If all the smokers in the US did quit, what a meltdown we would have. Can you imagine how high taxes would be. The government certainly couldn't do without them. I sometimes joke with my family members who do smoke by saying Thank You, because without you slowly paying to kill yourself my taxes would be higher!
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the sky, Humans Being
    Last Online

05.27.15 @ 08:46 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

its discrimination. if they want to call it a sin tax why dont they tax stuff like mcdonalds or chocolate cake or other stupid things we dont need. i dont smoke... but i find it stupid that people who do have to pay a dollar more a pack. i live in florida and alot of the laws here are very fucked up and one sided.
    Personal Link
    www.facebook.com/TWDJR

Band Links:
    www.facebook.com/azmythband
    www.myspace.com/azmythband
    www.soundclick.com/azmythus
    www.azmythmusic.com

"Does anyone elses grandmother drink bacon grease?"

"I could barely see the ham, from the steam comin off of it, i reached down, between its legs, and cut a piece off" ... "Hamina"

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by msr316 View Post
    Well, they could tax something that would help pay for a lot of stuff in this country!!

that's what I'm talking about...I'm a passionate advocate for the legalization of all drugs and I have no problem taxing them as any other good or service but I don't believe it should be taxed at "higher" (heheheh) rate than anything else. Why should pot cigarettes or tobacco cigarettes carry a higher tax than a soda pop or a candy bar?

Quote Originally Posted by seenbad View Post
    it's just a way to tax the middle class indirectly.
    That's just it, it's not just a tax on the middle class because not everyone in the middle class smokes. Though, according to statistics, the vast majority of cigarette smokers are middle and lower class people. It's a tax on a small minority of people...period. If there was a tax on a racial/ethnic group people would be up in arms. If there was a higher tax on a good or service thought to be used predominantly by such a group, people would be up in arms.

Non-smokers fail to see the connection between these sort of taxes and an infringement upon people's civil liberties and right to self-determination...just like a higher tax on ammunition is a way to backdoor the second ammendment or a voting tax was a way of keeping the poor from voting.

When one group has their right to self-determination infringed upon by a government (be it state/local or federal) then ALL groups should stand up against it.

Problem is that smokers have fallen victim to aggressive propaganda and are now painted as some low-class, unhealthy, uncaring, impolite, smelly people who are little less than an imposition on the larger society and as such SHOULD HAVE TO PAY for the PRIVELEDGE of their vile habit.

I say FUCK THAT.

If a smoker has to pay for the priveledge of smoking then others should have to pay for the priveledge of starbucks coffee and big macs and snickers, chrome trim on their car and eightball gear shift knobs and tattoos and piercings and cds of artists deemed as superflous, unhealthy or unnecessary.

I for one don't believe that a government has the right to determine these sort of things. I dont think a government should decide which forms of self-indulgence are "healthy" and which should be taxed in order to discouraged OR which groups of people should be signaled out as having to pay a disproportionate amount of tax.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pranker5150 View Post
    its discrimination. if they want to call it a sin tax why dont they tax stuff like mcdonalds or chocolate cake or other stupid things we dont need. i dont smoke... but i find it stupid that people who do have to pay a dollar more a pack. i live in florida and alot of the laws here are very fucked up and one sided.
    All you needed to say was you live in Florida, the rest is pretty much self explanitory.
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street, Little Guitars
    Last Online

07.19.17 @ 06:30 AM
    Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sickman View Post
    I can remember when there was a bill to tax premium cigars at $10.00 a cigar. I sure am glad tha never passed. If it did I certainly would have quit.
    +1.

The initial tax they had proposed for that was crazy? What did get passed was a 50% tax, with a cap of $.30-$.40. So a box of premium cigars that cost $100 last week are around $108 now. It could have been much worse. It would have completely destroyed an industry.

A novel concept for paying for Children's Health Insurance under this plan. Tax every box of cereal and box of diapers $.20. Sure you can shoot holes in that one, but in makes a helluva lot more sense than a sin tax.
    Don't drink the Jim Jones punch. They're called theToxic Twins for a reason...

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wickett View Post
    +1.

The initial tax they had proposed for that was crazy? What did get passed was a 50% tax, with a cap of $.30-$.40. So a box of premium cigars that cost $100 last week are around $108 now. It could have been much worse. It would have completely destroyed an industry.

A novel concept for paying for Children's Health Insurance under this plan. Tax every box of cereal and box of diapers $.20. Sure you can shoot holes in that one, but in makes a helluva lot more sense than a sin tax.
    drives me crazy. Think about it...with every puff, somewhere a child can breathe more easily because he's getting asthma medicine. With every minute shaved off a smoker's life a child somewhere is given that minute. Come on. How many smokers DON'T even have kids?

If we're NOT going to have "socialized" medicine, if health care is NOT a right, then why the hell are tax dollars from smoking or anywhere else going to fund health insurance for kids or anyone else?

We can't tax diapers and baby food, baby toys, baby clothes, formula etc because ooh gosh, those people are just trying to raise a family. They're doing the best they can do everything for their children. We can tax good people raising their children! NOOO! Tax those filthy smokers...bastards!
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    If a smoker has to pay for the priveledge of smoking then others should have to pay for the priveledge of starbucks coffee and big macs and snickers, chrome trim on their car and eightball gear shift knobs and tattoos and piercings and cds of artists deemed as superflous, unhealthy or unnecessary.
    AMEN

big macs kill more people than cigarettes each year now
    Personal Link
    www.facebook.com/TWDJR

Band Links:
    www.azmythmusic.com

"I could barely see the ham, from the steam comin off of it, i reached down, between its legs, and cut a piece off" ... "Hamina"

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

oh and if any tax laws in california have to do with smoking eddie will probably turn over in his studio haha
    Personal Link
    www.facebook.com/TWDJR

Band Links:
    www.azmythmusic.com

Last Online

07.24.15 @ 10:25 PM
    Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Pranker5150 View Post
    oh and if any tax laws in california have to do with smoking eddie will probably turn over in his studio haha
    Well on top of the federal tax that went into effect today, California is likely to raise the state tax by an additional .68
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

02.18.16 @ 03:10 PM
    Liked 144 Times in 51 Posts

Here Here!! They dumped tea in the Boston Harbor for less than this crap!