Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

At the moment, Little Guitars
    Last Online

11.03.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Holy hell, Obama now meddling in NASCAR. Goodbye Chrysler and GM.....

Normally, I would put this in the Sports section, but given the current times, I thought it would be of interest to those who don't frequent that area.

Obama Orders Chevrolet and Dodge Out Of NASCAR - Car News

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS' DAY! With their racing budgets deemed “unnecessary expenditures,” GM and Chrysler are ordered to cease racing operations at the end of the season.

In a move sure to spark outrage, the White House announced today that GM and Chrysler must cease participation in NASCAR at the end of the 2009 season if they hope to receive any additional financial aid from the government. Companies around the globe—Honda and Audi, to name two—have drawn down racing operations, and NASCAR itself has already felt the pinch in the form of reduced team spending. A complete withdrawal from America’s premier racing series is expected to save more than $250 million between GM and Chrysler, a substantial amount considering the drastic measures being implemented elsewhere.

“Automakers used to operate on the principle of ‘win on Sunday, sell on Monday,’ but the Auto Task Force’s research just doesn’t validate that as true,” said the statement from President Obama. While fans have decried the Car of Tomorrow for heavily limiting what little personalization the cookie-cutter series had previously allowed to participating manufacturers, and drivers have slammed its brick-like aerodynamics and unpredictable handling, even the governmental oversight committee sees that the full-scale regulation of the cars leaves the manufacturers very little space for research and development. “NASCAR is a racing series that regulates down to the smallest detail of the cars, where a car badged a Chevrolet or Dodge differs only marginally from a Ford or a Toyota. There’s no technological development to speak of.”

The statement goes on further to say the same demand will be made of Ford if it asks for government assistance. “In order to receive this money, corporations must demonstrate they will spend it wisely. Racing has been said to improve on-road technology, but frankly, NASCAR almost flaunts its standing among the lowest-tech forms of motorsport. NASCAR is not proven to drive advancements that transfer from the racetrack to the road, and this nation’s way forward does not hinge on decades-old technology. We need new, and we need innovation.”

The President realizes this will be an unpopular call, but stands behind the decision, saying, “This is an obvious cut to make, but it is not an easy one. This administration is not ignoring the tremendous sentimental value and emotional appeal NASCAR holds for so many Americans. But now is not the time for sentiment and nostalgia; now is a time for decisive financial action. If our automotive industry is to emerge from this recession intact, then these difficult decisions must be made.”

Both Chevrolet and Dodge see the move as only temporary, and fully expect to resume racing in NASCAR as soon as they have stabilized and the government’s hand in their operations is minimized. “There is nothing really to say at this point,” said one representative, who wished to remain anonymous. “We’ve been doing this since the beginning, and we always assumed we’d be doing this until the end. Heck, nobody ever thought to think that there would be an end. But we ain’t done. As soon as this is over, we’re taking back our spot at the top.”

NASCAR officials remain tight-lipped about the call, but sources say series president Mike Helton and team managers are exploring several options, including other manufacturers to fill Chevrolet and Dodge’s vacated positions. Given the company’s recent interest in motorsport and the steady cash-flow and V-8 engine provided by its new Genesis sedan, sources indicate that NASCAR is pinging Hyundai to gauge the Korean company’s interest in occupying a spot in NASCAR. “Toyota was not well-received their first year in the sport, nor was their first season an easy one,” the source says. “But they learned, they applied the lessons, and they have proven very competitive this year.”

If Hyundai does indeed join the series, there will no doubt be a steep learning curve, and the move would leave Ford the lone domestic battling a pair of Asian makes in America’s most popular racing series. We wonder, however, how long NASCAR could hold that title without two of its most storied participants.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ascar_car_news
    11/05/78 Hollywood Sportatorium
    12/10/82 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/20/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    01/21/84 Hollywood Sportatorium
    02/16/08 Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've got dreams in hidden places and extra smiles for when I'm blue.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

so is this an april fools joke or what?
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

There are going to be some pissed off rednecks.

You might be able to put a black man in office, but don't, under any circumstances, mess with a redneck's NASCAR.

They done did it this time
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

I agree with it. Taxpayer dollars should not be used to fund NASCAR racing teams.

Don't blame Obama on this one. It's not his fault that Chrysler and GM have both miss managed their businesses for over thirty years.

It is just sad to think of NASCAR being completely made up of Asian produced vehicles. Somewhere a boot legger is rolling over in his grave.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by broken9500 View Post
    so is this an april fools joke or what?
    Click the link.
    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:57 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 69 Posts

it's starting out as a joke, but don't be suprised if it turns to reality very, very soon.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:22 AM
    Liked 280 Times in 134 Posts

C'mon, guys....
    Sings like a bird. Rocks like a pig.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Well, Initially a joke or not, I don't think it's that far from becoming a reality. GM has internally been discussing a possible "temporary" ceasing of Racing R & D. Just how much this will truly affect the current version of Nascar we have today, time will tell. The cars are so close, and really over the past ten years or so, Nascar platforms are only required to have one or two truly stock peices of sheetmetal on them, ie the decklid and a floorpan. On the COT, I have no idea. I've lost a lot of interest in NASCAR over the past five years. I'm no redneck, but I enjoyed the aggresive style of racing. The drafting and passing. I would'nt miss a race, but now I rarely watch, except for the biggies like Daytona, Talladega, Charlotte, and Darlington. It's just lost something.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    Well, Initially a joke or not, I don't think it's that far from becoming a reality. GM has internally been discussing a possible "temporary" ceasing of Racing R & D. Just how much this will truly affect the current version of Nascar we have today, time will tell. The cars are so close, and really over the past ten years or so, Nascar platforms are only required to have one or two truly stock peices of sheetmetal on them, ie the decklid and a floorpan. On the COT, I have no idea. I've lost a lot of interest in NASCAR over the past five years. I'm no redneck, but I enjoyed the aggresive style of racing. The drafting and passing. I would'nt miss a race, but now I rarely watch, except for the biggies like Daytona, Talladega, Charlotte, and Darlington. It's just lost something.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VanHalenRules View Post
    Exactly! It's lost touch with it's roots. I remember being a kid, and looking forward to watching Daytona so much. They did'nt televise many races back then, so when they did it was an event. Some of the other races were shown condenced on WWOS or Sports Spectacular. The cars were just so bitchin' back then too.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Future's in the past....
    Favorite VH Album

WACF, FW, DD
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post

Yep. Still burns me that they shut down the old Palm Beach Fairgrounds Speedway as well. I often wondered why, as the stands and even a couple of the structures were still there into the 80's, so it certainly wasn't for the space. The stands are even visible in Smokey and the Bandit 2 when they take their "break" and they have that kid watch the elephant.

A decent slideshow at http://www.floridastockcars.com/gall...slideshow.html
    Last edited by VanHalenRules; 04.01.09 at 08:54 AM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:57 PM
    Liked 1,345 Times in 922 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I agree with it. Taxpayer dollars should not be used to fund NASCAR racing teams.

Don't blame Obama on this one. It's not his fault that Chrysler and GM have both miss managed their businesses for over thirty years.

It is just sad to think of NASCAR being completely made up of Asian produced vehicles. Somewhere a boot legger is rolling over in his grave.
    Nah, Junior Johnson's still alive!

As for NASCAR getting away from its roots, this article makes the case that it hasn't simply due to the fact that there are more older race tracks in use than older ballparks and stadiums:

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/opin...lle/index.html

while there may some truth in that, that isn't all NASCAR is/was. Having older tracks is nice, but it still matters what happens on and around them...

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the sky, Humans Being
    Last Online

05.27.15 @ 08:46 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

yea its a joke. i dont believe anything unless it comes from jayski.com . that is where all news sources get their nascar news from. Nascar stimulates the Auto Market, as well as the American economy. Pulling them out would be deteriorating to Americana, as well as the sport itself. I don't think Obama wants to piss THAT many people off at once haha.
    Personal Link
    www.facebook.com/TWDJR

Band Links:
    www.facebook.com/azmythband
    www.myspace.com/azmythband
    www.soundclick.com/azmythus
    www.azmythmusic.com

"Does anyone elses grandmother drink bacon grease?"

"I could barely see the ham, from the steam comin off of it, i reached down, between its legs, and cut a piece off" ... "Hamina"

Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K., VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the sky, Humans Being
    Last Online

05.27.15 @ 08:46 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

oh and Nascar officials wouldnt know shit about it it would be Brian France, Mike Helton, and Ryan Pemberton or whatever his name is. It would also be on the main page of NASCAR.com since it doesnt hold stuff back and has nothing to do with Helton or France, as it often bashes them.
    Personal Link
    www.facebook.com/TWDJR

Band Links:
    www.facebook.com/azmythband
    www.myspace.com/azmythband
    www.soundclick.com/azmythus
    www.azmythmusic.com

"Does anyone elses grandmother drink bacon grease?"

"I could barely see the ham, from the steam comin off of it, i reached down, between its legs, and cut a piece off" ... "Hamina"