Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default The EVH brand picks

What's the deal with those cheap picks EVH is endorsing?? I'm not sure if anyone has really made much mention of this in the past, but I hate those types of picks. The pick is one of the most important aspects of playing and it also plays a vital role in developing one's technique. I just can't imagine EVH using those picks ... I personally prefer medium or heavy Tortex picks. I am partial to the Yellow mediums. Anyone else feel the same way about those cheap EVH picks as I do? It would have been sweet if he would have had some striped or even VH logo picks. Lame.
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,581 Times in 4,936 Posts

I swear by the yellow Tortex picks too. Jeff at the VH Store sent me a bunch of the EVH picks and I actually like them and use them all the time now. To each his own I guess.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.20.12 @ 08:26 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They just look really flimsy and slippery. I might need to give them a shot!
    As usual, there is a great woman behind every idiot.
    - John Lennon

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:23 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,130 Posts

Premium Member

I haven't tried the EVH picks at all, partially because I have a whole pack a yellow Tortex's--and I change picks about every 3 months unless I lose one. I like that worn in feel along the edges..makes pick scrapes that much more effective and the worn edges allow greater feel IMO, especially when going for those pinched harmonics.

EDIT: It's really funny actually. I just picked those up one time a few years ago, and a couple months later, it seemed like there was a whole thread dedicated to the yellow Tortexs.
    Last edited by bsbll4; 04.01.09 at 06:25 AM.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

Last Online

03.07.10 @ 06:18 AM
    Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

The goofy Hercoflex picks that Ed claims to be "What I use" are the exact same ones that local music stores used to give away free because no one would buy them in the seventies. They truly are crummy, as they have a tendency to fracture or break off at the seam after repeated use.

In fairness, perhaps I simply am too ham-fisted of a player. The picks I normally use are the 1.14mm Dunlops, which are quite handy for breaking a windshield should you find yourself in a submerged automobile.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
    George Bernard Shaw

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

I'm a user of the yellow Tortex also. I did buy a tin of the EVH picks. I will say that they are pretty good for pick-slides. I really only got them for the novelty factor, and also the tin looks like a great weed container. (Just kidding about the weed container thing, but it would come in handy)
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:23 PM
    Liked 93 Times in 37 Posts

I've been using the Fender 351 Tortoiseshell Heavy picks since the late 70's. I also have used the 354 shape which is kind of oval. I also still have a pack of black "Heavy Metal" pics (351 shape) from around the early 90's. Anyone else remember those?

Recently I began playing around with Fender medium picks so I decided to pick up a tin of the EVH picks. I thought I would hate them but I actually like to switch off and use them from time to time. They give a nice snap to playing chords and fast leads don't seem to suffer at all. I thought accuracy would be lost due to the flexibility of the pick, but it hasn't. Pick slides seem better as well, although I hate the sound of my pick slides now. I used to be able to do them much better in the mid 80's.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I used to use nothing but Fender mediums...those red/white/blue ones...cool picks.

Then I discovered tortex and was using orange for acoustic and yellow for electric.

Then my buddy turned me onto to the Ultex pics made by Dunlop. I LOVE those pics. On an acoustic they sound incredible...best acoustic pic out there.

I don't notice a tonal difference using ultex on electric but I do like the feel. They feel like a cross between plastic fender mediums and the tortex.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:22 AM
    Liked 413 Times in 248 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chefcraig View Post
    The picks I normally use are the 1.14mm Dunlops, which are quite handy for breaking a windshield should you find yourself in a submerged automobile.

My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:42 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Warmoth View Post
    What's the deal with those cheap picks EVH is endorsing?? but I hate those types of picks. I personally prefer. I am partial to. Anyone else feel the same way about those cheap EVH picks as I do? It would have been sweet if he would have had some striped or even VH logo picks. Lame.

Here, I just shortned your post to answer your own question for ya.

Cheap picks
    I hate
    I personally
    I am partial
    Anyone else
    As I do
    It would have been sweet
    If HE would have
    Striped or VH logo picks
    Lame

Yes it is..................
    Last edited by Wolfgang Bob; 04.01.09 at 01:55 PM.
    "When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............... Dirty Harry

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:39 PM
    Liked 214 Times in 92 Posts

Right now I prefer the orange tortex .60mm picks, but I regularly switch to the red tortex .50mm and the yellow .73mm. I find a big difference in my tone just making that simple switch, never mind all the million other things you can swap out in your rig.

Never tried the VH picks and I'm not really interested either. Would be cool to catch one from Eddie in concert though.

Favorite VH Album

Woman and children first
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:04 PM
    Liked 602 Times in 392 Posts

I have a tin of the EVH picks sitting right here on my desk.
    They are way too thin for me and i can only use them if i hold them sideways - i heard that The Edge from U2 uses the same kind of picks and holds them that way too.
    Kinda cool with the grip part of the pick digging into the strings too!
    Can make some great dirty harmonics that way.
    As far as what picks i use these days, i use picks made by Intune, http://www.intunegp.com/ - I have a deal with them & am always giving my picks away @ shows and on tour. They make picks just like Fender and Dunlop but are much cheaper. The ones i use are like fender Celluloid heavys and the green tortex .88 dunlops. But with Intune i get them in Black not green.
    My band's owl logo is on them in the photo and im holding a EVH pick sideways.
    JB
    My chat with Mike & Joe from Chickenfoot 1/7/12
    http://bit.ly/yyS5uq

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
    http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
    http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear about it later
    Last Online

12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vhin04 View Post
    Right now I prefer the orange tortex .60mm picks, but I regularly switch to the red tortex .50mm and the yellow .73mm. I find a big difference in my tone just making that simple switch, never mind all the million other things you can swap out in your rig.

Never tried the VH picks and I'm not really interested either. Would be cool to catch one from Eddie in concert though.
    Not related to EVH picks, but my wife just gave me a peso she had from her travels. She goes "does'nt that guy from ZZ use one?" Iv'e been noodling with it, and it's kinda cool. I don't usually use picks. Are the EVH picks total shite though? Just wondering if their offering better ones now. I know his straps were total garbage in the beginning. Too long or the stitching was coming apart. Great features on a product with his name and statement "it's what I use" on it. and for Mucho Deniro to boot!!!!!
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

02.14.14 @ 07:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Thick n Thin

I started off only using the heavy tortex purple 1.14's because my guitar teacher recommended them. Then a few years ago I got some promotional Dunlops at a Sammy concert while trying out his Yamaha guitar and I really liked them. I contacted Dunlop and the rep there sent me a couple dozen at no charge. Closest thing I've found to them are the yellows. I bought a set of the EVH's and they're not too bad.
    "Boards don't hit back" - Bruce Lee

Baluchitherium
    Last Online

10.01.15 @ 06:45 PM
    Liked 180 Times in 57 Posts

Are the new picks comparable to Fender Mediums? I'm the opposite of some of you. 20 years ago I preferred Fender hards or the yellow/green Tortex picks. The tortex picks lasted longer and mediums or lighter seemed way too flimsy for me. I read that Ed used mediums in the day but when trying them I hated them. Years ago I retried mediums and was surprised I started to prefer the flexibility. Now I feel I have a little less groove in my strumming/picking if I use anything heavier than mediums. I think when I was much younger I tried to pick and strum everything harder than I needed to and mediums felt like paper then.

Anyway, are these simply Fender mediums with his name on them? They look kinda cheaper. They look like the type of picks that weaken/bend and rip before shredding away slowly like a true fender pick. Know what I mean?
    Does he really use these? I'm think there is no way.

Soon I want to place an order on the VH shop to get the pedals at the sale price. I dig the EVh straps too. Not sure about the picks though they look like crap.

Hey how about the EVH cables? Anyone try them out?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]