Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47
  1. #1
    Good Enough VH1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.07.07
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,323
    Favorite VH Album

    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:28 PM
    Likes
    721
    Liked 547 Times in 381 Posts

    Default Have the F.U.C.K leftover tracks ever been heard???

    My guess is no they have not as nothing seems to leak from 5150. However, I did recently hear "I Want Some Action" from 5150 so maybe they have???

    In the past I have read about at least 3 leftovers which were titled:

    The Wish
    Out OF The Ether
    Numb To The Touch

    There was a 4th but i cant recall what it was.

    I would rather hear these than any new VH personally as 1991 was my fave era of VH.
    [B]
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

    "ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

    EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

  2. #2
    Good Enough Hack's Avatar
    Join Date
    11.09.04
    Age
    43
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    2,422
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 09:07 PM
    Likes
    981
    Liked 846 Times in 395 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default ..

    I've heard all of those titles but never heard the songs.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

    VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

  3. #3
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.13.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,489
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 11:37 AM
    Likes
    602
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    The only unreleased songs that have ever circulated since the band was signed to Warner Bros. 30 years ago have been "I Want Some Action" from '85 and "That's Why I Love You" from '97. So the band has plenty of material for a boxed set. Especially when you consider the countless live recordings from over 30 years. And yes, Eddie is telling the truth when he says he has "10 albums worth of material" that's unreleased. They do indeed have mountains of material. No one knows what they're waiting for.

  4. #4
    Good Enough SLEEPER5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.08
    Location
    Canada's West Coast
    Posts
    2,281
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear about it later
    Last Online

    12.03.10 @ 03:16 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VH1988 View Post
    My guess is no they have not as nothing seems to leak from 5150. However, I did recently hear "I Want Some Action" from 5150 so maybe they have???

    In the past I have read about at least 3 leftovers which were titled:

    The Wish
    Out OF The Ether
    Numb To The Touch

    There was a 4th but i cant recall what it was.

    I would rather hear these than any new VH personally as 1991 was my fave era of VH.
    The fourth was called " You Never Know". I had it from a very in the know dude that Out of the Ether became Crossing Over. I still have that Rockline on tape somewhere. Eddie was responding to a caller who asked the very question with those song titles, and Eddie and Al were shocked he knew the names. (before internet folks! I feel old now!)It was funny.Al jokingly gave Eddie crap as he hummed the progression of the tapped riff we know as Over, and I agree it's identicle, aside from the time sig.. Eddie's known for this though. Stompin' 8H had a few lives before officially becoming Dirty Water Dog. Even 316 which Eddie said he wrote for Wolfie was the intro to his solo spot on the 5150 tour. I had heard somewhere (maybe on here) that "You Never Know" had chunks of it in "Don't Tell Me" from Balance.
    Last edited by SLEEPER5150; 03.31.09 at 12:52 PM.
    She looks so $#@!'n good ,so sexy and so frail....Somethin's got the bite on me, I'm goin' straight to Hell.

  5. #5
    Good Enough VH1988's Avatar
    Join Date
    08.07.07
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,323
    Favorite VH Album

    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

    5150
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 04:28 PM
    Likes
    721
    Liked 547 Times in 381 Posts

    Default

    ^^^You Never Know was definitly the title that eluded me.

    Crossing Over is bad ass, that should have been on Balance over all the instrumentals.

    I think the FUCK leftover song titles sound awesome.
    [B]
    Eddie Van Halen in 2012:

    "ESQ: What are you going to do with all the material that you wrote with Sammy Hagar?

    EVH: Oh, I hadn't thought about that. That's some great music. They're just on vacation, maybe. They're off to college and they're going their own way. Who knows?"

  6. #6
    5150 Edson's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.16.03
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    568
    Favorite VH Album

    5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Don't Tell Me/Dreams/Learning
    Last Online

    11.14.12 @ 08:49 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    So you have "You Never Know"??? Can you upload it for us?


    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    The fourth was called " You Never Know". I had it from a very in the know dude that Out of the Ether became Crossing Over. I still have that Rockline on tape somewhere. Eddie was responding to a caller who asked the very question with those song titles, and Eddie and Al were shocked he knew the names. (before internet folks! I feel old now!)It was funny.Al jokingly gave Eddie crap as he hummed the progression of the tapped riff we know as Over, and I agree it's identicle, aside from the time sig.. Eddie's known for this though. Stompin' 8H had a few lives before officially becoming Dirty Water Dog. Even 316 which Eddie said he wrote for Wolfie was the intro to his solo spot on the 5150 tour. I had heard somewhere (maybe on here) that "You Never Know" had chunks of it in "Don't Tell Me" from Balance.

  7. #7
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    06.17.03
    Age
    30
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Posts
    6,980
    Favorite VH Album

    You name it
    Favorite VH Song

    See above
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Likes
    310
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    The only unreleased songs that have ever circulated since the band was signed to Warner Bros. 30 years ago have been "I Want Some Action" from '85 and "That's Why I Love You" from '97. So the band has plenty of material for a boxed set. Especially when you consider the countless live recordings from over 30 years. And yes, Eddie is telling the truth when he says he has "10 albums worth of material" that's unreleased. They do indeed have mountains of material. No one knows what they're waiting for.
    I assume you've probably seen it before Jeff, but what is 10 albums of material? Is it 10 albums of completed instrumentals or is it as Sammy suggested: tons of useless noodling. Probably a damn heard question to answer, prolly lots of both.

  8. #8
    Eruption
    Join Date
    02.13.02
    Age
    48
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    1,489
    Favorite VH Album

    All 7 with Dave
    Favorite VH Song

    The one I'm listening to.
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 11:37 AM
    Likes
    602
    Liked 1,956 Times in 443 Posts


    Donor

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    I assume you've probably seen it before Jeff, but what is 10 albums of material? Is it 10 albums of completed instrumentals or is it as Sammy suggested: tons of useless noodling. Probably a damn heard question to answer, prolly lots of both.
    Yes, I really do think it's a lot of both. Lots of recorded guitar noodling, and lots of recorded stuff that could turn into songs.

    But let's look at COMPLETE songs for a minute. Hell, just look at the late '90s: They wrote 25 songs for VH3, they wrote 9 or so for the followup to that, and then they wrote 5 with Roth in 2000. So there's 27 unreleased songs right there.

    Then throw in all the unreleased ones from '78 - '85 with Roth, plus the Sammy years, plus the ones that they wrote before they were signed in the '70's that were never released. That's probably around 60 complete, unreleased songs that I've mentioned.

    And those are only the ones that we've heard about! There has got to be more than those. Maybe just a bit more, or maybe tons more.

  9. #9
    On Fire 3_6_9 time's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Posts
    368
    Last Online

    07.29.13 @ 10:00 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I remember they said they supposedly demoed a few of the songs on 5150 with Dave (Good Enough and Get up If I remember correctly)- now THAT I would love to hear. I would also love to hear alternate versions of songs.- to see how they got from point A to point B.

  10. #10
    Hang 'Em High
    Join Date
    06.17.03
    Age
    30
    Location
    New Brunswick Canada
    Posts
    6,980
    Favorite VH Album

    You name it
    Favorite VH Song

    See above
    Last Online

    12.10.17 @ 08:06 AM
    Likes
    310
    Liked 226 Times in 162 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3_6_9 time View Post
    I remember they said they supposedly demoed a few of the songs on 5150 with Dave (Good Enough and Get up If I remember correctly)- now THAT I would love to hear. I would also love to hear alternate versions of songs.- to see how they got from point A to point B.
    I thought Summer Nights was one of them, but I could be completely wrong.

  11. #11
    Unchained HailNgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.07.00
    Posts
    448
    Last Online

    05.01.12 @ 10:03 PM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SLEEPER5150 View Post
    The fourth was called " You Never Know". I had it from a very in the know dude that Out of the Ether became Crossing Over. I still have that Rockline on tape somewhere. Eddie was responding to a caller who asked the very question with those song titles, and Eddie and Al were shocked he knew the names. (before internet folks! I feel old now!)It was funny.Al jokingly gave Eddie crap as he hummed the progression of the tapped riff we know as Over, and I agree it's identicle, aside from the time sig.. Eddie's known for this though.
    I agree Eddie's known for re-using his own licks.... but...

    I have to dissagree with Out of the Ether becoming Crossing Over; it's not true.

    Crossing Over was a really old song Eddie recorded on his own. He even plays the drums and sings it. Al added new drums and Sam sung over Eddie's singing. Out of the Ether was something written around Balance album (I'm pretty sure)

    Hence....Out of the Ether could not have become Crossing Over. Peroid.
    Last edited by HailNgirl; 03.31.09 at 05:38 PM.
    Yes

  12. #12
    Forum Frontman
    Join Date
    09.15.06
    Age
    42
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,568
    Last Online

    07.04.16 @ 08:03 PM
    Likes
    3
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hausman View Post
    Yes, I really do think it's a lot of both. Lots of recorded guitar noodling, and lots of recorded stuff that could turn into songs.

    But let's look at COMPLETE songs for a minute. Hell, just look at the late '90s: They wrote 25 songs for VH3, they wrote 9 or so for the followup to that, and then they wrote 5 with Roth in 2000. So there's 27 unreleased songs right there.

    Then throw in all the unreleased ones from '78 - '85 with Roth, plus the Sammy years, plus the ones that they wrote before they were signed in the '70's that were never released. That's probably around 60 complete, unreleased songs that I've mentioned.

    And those are only the ones that we've heard about! There has got to be more than those. Maybe just a bit more, or maybe tons more.
    My guess is, unfortunately, that most of the material you've mentioned here Jeff was never completed beyond demo form. I don't think they ever did much except simple demos of the tunes with Roth in '00, and even "I Want Some Action" wasn't completed with background vocals and the works. (It's my understanding the version floating around was one of Donn Landee's in-progress rough mixes.) So I don't know if a song can technically be classified as "unreleased" if it was never in a form to be released in the first place.

    They did complete two songs with Cherone in '99 that Patrick Leonard produced, and who knows where the other material they were doing with Danny Kortchmar stood when Cherone departed, but there must have been at least a few songs that were close to done. (They'd been working on the album for a little while...)

    Demos or not, I'm certain VH fans would LOVE to hear unreleased VH music, even if some of it later went on to become other songs. We're in an excellent day and age for re-mixing and mastering old recordings and bringing the best out in them. I do indeed hope Ed & Co. see the value in embracing VH's entire legacy and history; Dave, Sam, or Gary... demo, studio, or live... the fans would love to hear it. What an amazing boxed set that would be. (And just to throw in a shot of fantasy for said hypothetical boxed set... What about a CURRENT photo of all past and present members of VH standing together? Eddie, Alex, Mike, Dave, Sammy, Gary, Wolfgang. I think it'd be an amazing resolution for MANY VH fans.)

    Also... I believe I heard once (somewhere here in the Links) that one of the other keyboard song in the works for FUCK later became "Once."

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    07.11.05
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,883
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

    06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love View Post
    I thought Summer Nights was one of them, but I could be completely wrong.
    Yep. Titled "Eat Thy Neighbor" at the time
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

    "He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    07.11.05
    Age
    26
    Posts
    11,883
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II/OU812
    Favorite VH Song

    Good Enough/Little Guitars
    Last Online

    06.25.15 @ 09:06 AM
    Likes
    0
    Liked 42 Times in 11 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewThomas.net View Post
    Also... I believe I heard once (somewhere here in the Links) that one of the other keyboard song in the works for FUCK later became "Once."
    "The Wish" was the title, if I recall correctly, my good sir

    Lyrics would eventually go to Sam in "Returning of the Wish." Music would eventually go to Van Halen in "Once."

    Still interested in hearing "Between Us Two" as well. Just to see if it could really be considered Van Halen's "Stairway to Heaven."
    "I respect that youre passionate about this but what your saying is complete idiocy..." - MF5150 on McDonald's "preying" on young kids.

    "He was born a human, he's a horse's ass by proxy." - It's Mike on Eddymon.

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,178
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    12.11.17 @ 01:56 AM
    Likes
    1,819
    Liked 1,461 Times in 897 Posts

    Default

    Eddie, please open the vaults!!!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Possible leftover from III or next cd?
    By Rebel67 in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02.21.07, 04:19 PM
  2. Fresh Leftover from 1984???
    By Hide Your Sheep in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12.06.01, 01:54 AM
  3. I heard Dave will release Crazy From the heat on cd, anyone else heard this?
    By VHwasCoolestWithDLR in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09.06.00, 04:49 AM
  4. I want some action - leftover from 5150
    By mikeKramer in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08.10.00, 01:50 AM
  5. How many leftover VH original songs are there?
    By MineAllMine in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07.26.00, 07:31 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •