Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Love Again
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 1,689 Times in 644 Posts

Default The Nanny State

WTF.... Obama will tell you how to feel. The day I need advice from the government on my emotional state, someone please shoot me.

NANNY STATE: GOVERNMENT WEBSITE TO WARN OF SADNESS/CRYING OVER ECONOMY
    Mon Mar 30 2009 18:43:56 ET

The U.S. government is set to offer an online emotional rescue kit!

"Getting Through Tough Economic Times" will launch Tuesday with a media push across all platforms.

The site is meant to help people identify health concerns related to financial worries.

The feds will warn of depression, suicidal thinking and other serious mental illnesses. It will raise warning flags for: Persistent sadness/crying; Excessive anxiety; Lack of sleep/constant fatigue; Excessive irritability/anger.

The guide will be available starting at midnight at http://www.samhsa.gov/economy.

Developing...

"The less I needed, the better I felt." ~ Charles Bukowski.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

The government version of the Soccer Mom, Over-Coddled, Everyone Gets A Trophy World that has been created in North America over the last 12 years...

No offence to any of the hot soccer moms...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

09.24.13 @ 12:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    The government version of the Soccer Mom, Over-Coddled, Everyone Gets A Trophy World that has been created in North America over the last 12 years...
    That's funny. I have two boys (10 and 8) and after each season, both in baseball and soccer, they receive trophies for participating. Every kid in the league receives a trophy.

My kids couldn't give two shits for these things. I've actually tossed a couple of them. They've told me they don't care about the trophies. When I asked why, they said it's because everyone gets one. There's zero sense of accomplishment attached to the award.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, VHII or Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

04.02.15 @ 07:26 AM
    Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by te5150 View Post
    That's funny. I have two boys (10 and 8) and after each season, both in baseball and soccer, they receive trophies for participating. Every kid in the league receives a trophy.

My kids couldn't give two shits for these things. I've actually tossed a couple of them. They've told me they don't care about the trophies. When I asked why, they said it's because everyone gets one. There's zero sense of accomplishment attached to the award.
    we have the same problem over here in england, schools now have a policy where ALL the sports are non-competative. i think the health and saftey executive has a lot to answer for (as it was their recomenation).
    did you know that the police over here hav to fill 17 different health and saftey criterea before they can follow a car and pull it over! it doesnt matter if the guy driving has kidnapped a child, if they cannot fullfil the health and saftey criterea they cannot give chase....it's beurocracy gone nuts!!!
    http://www.facebook.com/Tommywho5150

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

The pussification of sports for children is embarrassing, I hate it. Competition and winning is what sports are all about. I mean why play if you don't want to win? Yes it should be fun, and it does teach teamwork, but the point is to try to win. Why is that bad? Why do we have to take everything to the extreme in this country now?

When I was younger and I first started bowling, I hated losing...hated it. Lost to the same guys over and over. Eventually I worked so hard to get better, those same guys never beat me again, and that was a greater accomplishment than any stupid trophy that I have since thrown away. I had so many stupid bowling trophies, I just told my parents to dump them all...some of them were for like 4th and 5th place in tournaments....who cares.

No wonder we're in so much trouble, we stopped caring about winning a long time ago.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tommywho5150 View Post
    we have the same problem over here in england, schools now have a policy where ALL the sports are non-competative. i think the health and saftey executive has a lot to answer for (as it was their recomenation).
    did you know that the police over here hav to fill 17 different health and saftey criterea before they can follow a car and pull it over! it doesnt matter if the guy driving has kidnapped a child, if they cannot fullfil the health and saftey criterea they cannot give chase....it's beurocracy gone nuts!!!
    I didn't realise they'd gone back to that stupid non-competitive sports crap. My nephews are lucky enough to go to a good private school and they play rugby there like they always have - hard. Doesn't surprise me that the state schools shy away from this stuff though. Oh god, what would happen if Timmy breaks an arm? etc It would explain why the Brits are so crap at international sporting meetings though.

The health and safety nazis are a joke. I remember watching Jeremy Clarkson once, going into a very funny rant about them. He said that he had actually received a document from H&S which detailed the safest way to open and close a door.

Wankers.
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

We're not much better here now. And of course I have a wife who is against organized sports for our children, any kind of god forbid competition. We have had many arguments over that crap, obviously she will not win that argument (considering organized sports were a huge part of my life), but it's sad. Funny how when I competed professionally she never had a problem with it.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

my kids school has just introduced a game called "tag rugby" where kids haveribbons velcroed to their shirts and the object of the game is to remove them from your (for want of a less competative word) "opponent"....WTF!
    when i was at school rugby meant broken bones, blood and a great way to get rid of teenage angst without going and finding a fight....now the schools are taking away competative sports and competition i can only see it spilling over onto the streets in a more sinister way.

THIS is sport as i used to play it....no pad's, no helmets, plenty of blood and good sportsmanship, it also brings out natural leaders (imo)...

And with that I'm off to the kitchen to make myself a lesbian omelette...LLFHS in response to one of Graeme's post's

"The anal beads may have scarred SNIC for life. That guy is tough as fucking nails!! No normal guy could take anal beads to the head and survive! "...OLO on SNIC's near death experience at TLW

"I'm a 45-year-old man, and I still like to wear a thong or a speedo when I go swimming.
    Not because I have a great body, it's just an easy way to make sure I have the hotel swimming pool all to myself."...Bullwinkle for quite obvious reasons!

"Dude, the cashier gave me the creepiest sneer when he rang up my unmentionables!"...Sassy Lassy during a Facebook conversation!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

We have that here, and have forever, it's called Flag Football....American football of course.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    We have that here, and have forever, it's called Flag Football....American football of course.

the game you DON'T play with your feet!....lol
    i never understood why you guys called it football (but i do understand why soccer is unpopular, its about as exiting as having a poo!)

Favorite VH Album

They're all shit
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 09:41 AM
    Liked 34 Times in 20 Posts

my kids school has just introduced a game called "tag rugby" where kids haveribbons velcroed to their shirts and the object of the game is to remove them from your (for want of a less competative word) "opponent"....WTF!
    when i was at school rugby meant broken bones, blood and a great way to get rid of teenage angst without going and finding a fight....now the schools are taking away competative sports and competition i can only see it spilling over onto the streets in a more sinister way.

THIS is sport as i used to play it....no pad's, no helmets, plenty of blood and good sportsmanship, it also brings out natural leaders (imo)...

That's a sport. 40 minutes each way of serious action. No breaks, no rests, if you break your leg the game continues on around the doctors, no padding, no helmets - pure brilliance.

Tag rugby is a good idea for including everyone, but it should not be a replacement for the real thing. I remember when i was a kid, our school played a lot of rugby and field hockey. I can't count the number of stitches and broken bones that occurred, but in those days people were realistic about the world. If it was an accident, it was an accident. In today's blame culture of victims, there is no such thing as an accident.

I remember getting hit so hard with a hockey stick once that my whole body went into shock. I don't remember it very well, but friends said I simply walked over to the touchline, sat down and started doing sit-ups? wtf? Ha, the fun of shock. Though my leg wasn't broken, I couldn't walk for a few days, but never once did it occur to either me or my parents to complain about the boy that hit me. It just didn't even occur to do that then. Today, everyone gets involved I'm sure.

Oh well, of course the H&S groups are right and we are much better off getting fat and diabetic in front of mindless TV and video games, living in a sterilized world where our immune systems collapse because it gets no practice with germs .........
    A man could lose himself in a country like this.

My blog at http://tollins.blogspot.de/

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by graeme View Post
    That's a sport. 40 minutes each way of serious action. No breaks, no rests, if you break your leg the game continues on around the doctors, no padding, no helmets - pure brilliance.

Tag rugby is a good idea for including everyone, but it should not be a replacement for the real thing. I remember when i was a kid, our school played a lot of rugby and field hockey. I can't count the number of stitches and broken bones that occurred, but in those days people were realistic about the world. If it was an accident, it was an accident. In today's blame culture of victims, there is no such thing as an accident.

I remember getting hit so hard with a hockey stick once that my whole body went into shock. I don't remember it very well, but friends said I simply walked over to the touchline, sat down and started doing sit-ups? wtf? Ha, the fun of shock. Though my leg wasn't broken, I couldn't walk for a few days, but never once did it occur to either me or my parents to complain about the boy that hit me. It just didn't even occur to do that then. Today, everyone gets involved I'm sure.

Oh well, of course the H&S groups are right and we are much better off getting fat and diabetic in front of mindless TV and video games, living in a sterilized world where our immune systems collapse because it gets no practice with germs .........
    my friend you are exactly right, during my school days playing rugby i have broken an ankle, several ribs, a few teeth, dislocated my shoulders more times than i can remember, broken my nose, my fingers my wrist and have been knocked unconscious so many times i am now only as clever as an american, but you know what, i loved every minute of it, the harder the tackle the more i wanted, and the same can be said for everyone i played with.....nowadays kids come home full of agression because they are simply not allowed to win at anything, so in their minds they are all loosers!! how is that going to influence their futures, no wonder this generation is growing up depressed and bi-polar!

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

They're all great!
    Last Online

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

this should be everyones attitude to health and safety....

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:22 PM
    Liked 6,702 Times in 3,721 Posts

i'm the biggest sports fan in the world and I can assure you that my son's time in competitive sports will be limited. He will not play ice hockey (which up here is THE sport) except maybe in a rec house league. I don't have a problem with competition (i played soccer and baseball in leagues as a kid) but parents nowadays (especially in hockey) have gone off the deep end. Half the parents seem to think that their kid is either gonna be the next NHL star or that they are being treated unfairly by their coach. Most kids teams that I've seen turn into a year long argument over icetime/coaching/etc. It's not fun and I don't know why any parent would want their kid to go through all that crap.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

VHIII/WACF/OU51BALUCK
    Last Online

07.24.11 @ 04:36 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

the game you DON'T play with your feet!....lol
    i never understood why you guys called it football (but i do understand why soccer is unpopular, its about as exiting as having a poo!)
    maybe you're not doing it right!

Quote Originally Posted by it's me View Post
    i'm the biggest sports fan in the world and I can assure you that my son's time in competitive sports will be limited. He will not play ice hockey (which up here is THE sport) except maybe in a rec house league. I don't have a problem with competition (i played soccer and baseball in leagues as a kid) but parents nowadays (especially in hockey) have gone off the deep end. Half the parents seem to think that their kid is either gonna be the next NHL star or that they are being treated unfairly by their coach. Most kids teams that I've seen turn into a year long argument over icetime/coaching/etc. It's not fun and I don't know why any parent would want their kid to go through all that crap.
    I'm right there with you brother. I love sports and I love competition. I believe in keeping score and rewarding winners and even razzing losers but I also believe in good sportsmanship. Parents have a way of ruining sports for their kids. They get all hopped up on their own testosterone and machismo and try to relive whatever glory days they think they had by becoming savages in the stands, crawling up the coaches' asses, belittleing their own kids, and getting into fights. My kids will play sports but I want to take part in the coaching and I want to make sure it's in a league that I feel comfortable with. No hyped up neanderthal is going to browbeat my kid, or anyone elses' for that matter while I'm around. I coached for a few years at the YMCA and that was a good time...we had a couple of problem parents but for the most part all was good. Bottom line, yes it's supposed to be fun and it's supposed to be competitive...FOR THE KIDS. Too many asshole dads, and even moms, thinking that this is their one last chance at sports history. Bastards. Parents have a way of ruining everything for the kids because of their own hangups, baggage, regrets and pathetic ideas about their own miserable lives and failures.
    Stay out of it, dude.

I am Van Halen.